Obama Says Romney Wants to Raise Taxes on Middle-Class to Give Wealthy a Break: Does He?

Chris D 2012/08/01 20:00:00
The spin keeps on spinning. Now, it's Obama saying Romney will raise taxes on the middle class to keep the tax breaks going for the super wealthy. Sounds fishy to me. Is Obama right, or is it true that Mitt Romney is planning to raise taxes on the middle class?

ABCNEWS.GO.COM reports:
AKRON, Ohio – President Obama today pounced on a new report that found Mitt Romney’s economic plan would raise taxes on the majority of Americans and give tax breaks to the super wealthy, telling supporters in the battleground state of Ohio that his opponent wants them to pay more so that “people like him” can get a tax cut.
obama romney

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/08/obama...

• Daryl 2012/08/01 21:23:17
    Yes, Romney wants to raise taxes on middle class!
    Daryl
    +25
    Yes.

Romney knows that by pandering to the ultra-ultra-ultra-wealthy he will win the election.

They make up the majority of voters in swing states like Ohio, Indiana and New Mexico.

• marylou5 Rich 2012/08/14 05:08:23
    marylou5
    Lighten up! I know, another sad cliche!
    Life is short. Live a little,oops another cliche!

Truly, I kind of like you. You write well in whole sentences and know how to spell!
    We will meet again! Drat, another cliche! Best I leave now.
    Buh, bye.
  • Rich marylou5 2012/08/14 16:26:46
    Rich
    It's up to you, but, before you leave, I would be interested in seeing if you know what socialized medicine really is (which I don't support). Would you care to spell out your definition of the term?
    In case you don't respond, let me add this. While I doubt we could agree on the time of day, unlike more than 90% of your brethren, at least you didn't flame me.
  • marylou5 Rich 2012/08/14 17:23:57
    marylou5
    I hope you were not insinuating that I didn't know what I was talking about :-) You're really tough!

As briefly as possible: Government control and regulation of all medical care from cradle to grave paid for with taxpayer funds. Under socialized medicine, the control of what is and is not in my best interest, becomes a government function/decision by committee, not mine or my MD.

The government is the Servant of the people, and I will never give it Master status of anything! Socialized medicine gives it Master status!

I don't know, but I think we could agree on the time of day, if we were in the same time zone;-) Yes?
  • Rich marylou5 2012/08/15 03:54:54
    Rich
    Your definition is not the official one, but it will do for purposes of this discussion.
    The UK has socialized medicine. The medical doctors work for and are paid by the government. Canada has single payer. The providers are free agents. Using your definition, you may ask why that is not socialized medicine, and I'll explain. Under single payer, Canadians are free to purchase additional coverage from private carriers at their own expense.
    Leaving aside semantics, why are you so troubled by how medical care is funded? Shouldn't your concern be getting high quality care for the least expense?
  • marylou5 Rich 2012/08/15 04:51:27 (edited)
    marylou5
    I am not going to argue SM with you! I know all about SM first hand/personally and none of it is good! So please do not patronize me. I know what I am talking about and your blah, blah how it works, is paid for etc simply enrages me! Any human being with a modicum of common sense who is willing to turn over their health care to Govt edict is a fool!
    Sorry, but I'm too close to this to even try to be civil!
  • Rich marylou5 2012/08/15 16:00:52
    Rich
    I don't know where you live, but I am in California. Over here every major insurer has been repeatedly fined over the past several yrs, usually for improper denial of claims and/or retroactively denying coverage improperly. Basically, the problem is that profits are incompatible with optimal health care.
    As a glaring example, there was a gentleman here a few yrs ago with a Blue Cross policy in need of a liver transplant. He had been paying his premiums regulary for yrs. The wait list for his procedure was over 2 yrs, so he asked to have the operation performed in Indianapolis (Blue Cross is owned by Anthem WellPoint, based there). The wait there was 2 weeks. The carrier said no, he would have to wait to have it done in Ca. His doctor said he couldn't last 2 yrs, but Blue Cross wouldn't budge. The gentleman flew to Indianapolis, had the operation at his own expense, then sued to recover his medical and traveling expenses. He was really decent about it and didn't seek punitive damages. He won. My guess is that fellow would support "socialized medicine" over a system of private carriers.
    I'll add that it would be a far cheaper system. You must really loathe government to be willing to pay far more for your health care.
  • marylou5 Rich 2012/08/15 17:39:08 (edited)
    marylou5
    My guess is that he wouldn't, because the Govt. would not ALLOW 'their' Govt. hospitals to perform the procedure at the paient's discretion.

There would be NO alternate non-Govt. hospital for him to pay to bail him out!

He would have been long dead by the time he worked his way through the quagmire of Govt. regulations which would not never make an exception. Gotta follow the rules!

Do you honestly believe the Govt. IRS Committee would be more reactive to an individual than the insurance CO.

Have you ever dealt with the IRS? Example..the IRS audited our tax returns for SEVEN years...why...because we had a year where we only paid $13 in medical bills.
    (We were out of country)
    That was an 'anomaly' and their 'machines' spit it out!
    You get on the audit list and you never get off!

They NEVER found one irregularity! They did REFUND a
    $300 accountant error! That did not come close to paying me for my time and inconvenience their idiocy created for SEVEN years!
    Deliver me from Govt. waste and incompetence!
  • Rich marylou5 2012/08/16 03:48:52
    Rich
    To answer your question about whether a government agency (not the IRS; not their call) would have been better at handling this than Blue Cross), I give you an emphatic yes. Sure, government will screw up on occasion, but there are procedures in place for emergencies). All Anthem cared about was $$$. The company was lucky that guy didn't go for punitive damages. He could have named his price.
    I can understand your beef with the IRS, but it's unrelated to this discussion. A word of advice for the future: have your CPA go over your return with a fine tooth comb looking for suspicious numbers or ratios. A computer program flags those that are out of the normal boundaries. I was audited once and passed with flying colors. I had heavy travel expenses, but they were legitimate, and I kept all of my receipts.
    As for waste and incompetence, rest assured insurance carriers have more than their share. I think I mentioned I have fifteen yrs of health insurance experience. I cannot begin to tell you the number of times a project was started, mucho dinero was spent, and then for some reason or other it was cancelled. Happened all of the time.
    I've worked in both the public and private sectors. Small firms can be well run, but large organizations have many inefficiencies, be they government or business.
  • marylou5 Rich 2012/08/17 16:55:51
    marylou5
    Are you REALLY trying to excuse the absolute stupidity of the IRS who NEVER found ONE irregularity and continued their witch hunt for SEVEN years? (I passed with flying colors for seven consecutive years!!)

Please dont try to excuse absurdity! The one intelligent supervisor, I ran across after seven years, was apoplectic that anyone would waste their time and mine for seven years for NO irregularity, ever!

As I said, please don't talk down to me! I had ALL of my receipts and bonafide documentation and properly completed tax returns every year for seven years!! If the numbers/ratios are bonafide, are you suggesting my CPA fudge them so they won't be flagged! C'mon!

The idiocy was the IRS who refused to acknowledge their error. They were positively STUPID/INCOMPETENT and should never have audited me. My original sin!! I only spent $13 for medical care! That was why I was audited! INSANITY.

The IRS will be handling ObamaCare!! Fact!
    There is nothing LESS efficient than the Government!
    DMV, IRS, (80,000 page tax code), USPS, (failed despite tax payer subsidies)TSA,(personal abuse at the airport) STIMULUS, (where did the money go, outsourced) SOLYNDRA, (bankrupt) FANNIE and FREDDIE MAE, etc etc etc..

I don't have any more time for anyone who believes the Government does anything efficiently!
    You will just have to agree to disagree because this dialogue is not only counterproductive but a waste of my time......and yours!
  • Rich marylou5 2012/08/18 03:33:09
    Rich
    I have no doubt you got screwed, and I was trying to tell you how to avoid the problem in the future. If you don't like my advice, fine.
    You are entitled to your own opinions but not your own facts. The IRS does not make health care decisions under the Affordable Care Act. You will say I'm talking down to you, but you need to read the bill and educated yourself.
    You say this is nothing less efficient than the government. Let me clue you in on something. Medicare overhead is running at about 3-5%. For private carriers, it's about 30%. Not opinion. Fact.
  • Rich marylou5 2012/08/15 03:56:05
    Rich
    I forgot to add that I certainly don't want my care determined by a claims examiner for an insurance company who gets a bonus for denying a set number of claims.
  • marylou5 Rich 2012/08/15 05:06:56 (edited)
    marylou5
    You are being obtuse! If the SM.Committee decides you can't have RX...you can't get Rx... even if you are wiling to pay for it!! Private Ins. may not PAY for the RX but you can still private pay and get it. You have choices!
    I will NEVER understand supposedly intelligent people, who are willing to give up their freedom of choice and the concept of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
    Why would anyone in their right mind turn their health, care their most important health, over to the government, any government entity! That's utter insanity!

Your quote:
    "I forgot to add that I certainly don't want my care determined by a claims examiner for an insurance company who gets a bonus for denying a set number of claims."

And pray tell, would you rather some IRS agent, who has NO medical experience and a quota to cut costs deciding that your grandmother is old and expendable
    and denying RX without consent of her MD or family.
    The IRS have already hired the 'agents' to manage Obamacare edicts.
  • Rich marylou5 2012/08/15 16:07:24
    Rich
    In single payer, you have the option of purchasing additional private coverage. As for prescriptive drugs, private carriers can and will deny coverage on any pretext. Are you familiar with the case of the late editor of the online National Review (can't think of her name)? She had cancer, and her physician recommended a very expensive drug as her only hope. The carrier argued that the drug in question, while used for cancer treatment, wasn't appropriate for her form of cancer. They went to court. She passed. I believe this was before the case was settled.
    I'm sorry to see that you fell for the death panel myth. People are not going to be denied care for life-threatening conditions simply to cut costs as private carriers do.
  • marylou5 Rich 2012/08/15 17:45:26 (edited)
    marylou5
    People are right now being put on a death track in the UK...your model health care!
    Look it up..they are being investigated right now for just that subtle activity to free up beds! And there is ample
    evidence that Grandma was expendable!
    Govt. euthanasia at work! Please don't talk down to me.
    You have no clue!

I didn't fall for anything..you bought the lies!
  • Rich marylou5 2012/08/16 03:53:16
    Rich
    ILife expectancy is higher in most republics than here. The UK beats us comfortably.
    We rank 38th, the UK 13th. People live on average two yrs longer there.
    The US doesn't do so hot in infant mortality either. Still, the UK is not my ideal model. It just wouldn't work in the US, given our culture. Single payer would in my opinion be much better.
    It's not a matter of believing lies. Rather, it's a matter of looking at the empirical data.
  • marylou5 Rich 2012/08/17 15:45:18
    marylou5
    +1
    If you wish to think the government can/will do anything better than private enterprise, be my guest!
    You go right ahead and give the Government control of your life. be my guest.
    But let me tell you that the majority of Americans who want ObamaCare repealed do not agree with you and never will!
    We will have to agree to disagree!
  • Rich marylou5 2012/08/17 16:13:32
    Rich
    The Affordable Care Act does not put government in control of your life. Hell, it doesn't even have a public option.
    The majority of Americans don't even know what's in the bill. When people are asked about individual provisions (no more exclusions for pre-existing conditions, allowing young adults up to age 27 to stay on their parents' plan, lifting the cap on lifetime benefits, etc), most support them. But when you say "Obamacare," a majority are opposed. That tells me people don't understand what the new law does. I will give the GOP this: much as I loathe the party and everything it stands for, it has done a terrific job of demonizing a pretty good, albeit certainly not perfect, piece of legislation.
    Yes, we will have to agree to disagree. However, I'm confident enough to say that, with fifteen yrs in the business and having studied this issue extensively, my view more nearly resembles the truth.
  • marylou5 Rich 2012/08/17 17:16:23
    marylou5
    +1
    As I said, we will have to disagree, your "experience" notwithstanding....since as you readily admitted.....
    "The majority of Americans don't even know what's in the bill."
    Now that is a pig in a poke/disambiguation if I ever saw one!
    Buh, bye!
  • Rich marylou5 2012/08/18 03:34:01
    Rich
    And, if and when they do know, you're not going to be happy with how people change in large numbers to support it.
  • marylou5 Rich 2012/08/17 16:59:21
    marylou5
    +1
    Of course it's believing lies!
    Data is frequently skewed to fit the objective of the
    person collecting it. Please!
  • Rich marylou5 2012/08/18 03:36:14
    Rich
    I know. Republicans do it all of the time, and Dems are certainly not without sin. That's why I prefer to get my info from sources without a vested interest along with my personal experiences.
    I really had hoped you would be more open-minded. But I cannot convince someone who refuses to accept facts.
    Have a good day. Unless you have something new to add, we're done here.
  • marylou5 Rich 2012/08/18 17:15:00 (edited)
    marylou5
    +1
    Done! I deal with life facts not spread sheets and liberal propaganda!
    Buh, bye!
  • debra.f... marylou5 2012/09/03 02:09:40
    debra.faber
    Stamp your feet! Call names! Blah blah blah....we have YOUR number - we know what you are going to say before you say it. Jesus would be so disappointed in the way the right wing behaves.
  • marylou5 debra.f... 2012/09/03 17:58:36 (edited)
    marylou5
    You are an AGNOSTIC LIBERAL!!!! Your profile states that!!

You DARE to spew the epitome of ignorance, disrespect, and shamelessness to believe that you speak for JESUS!!

A JESUS you deny exists! Sacrilege personified by a non believer!

Run along please..you have finally dropped off of the edge of sanity, reason and rationality.

Take a mental health break, please.
  • debra.f... ComeOnNow 2012/08/09 15:40:31
    debra.faber
    So if people purchase these cheap catastrophic plans, they are in compliance with the PPACA. We agree, they should be required to take responsibility and purchase them. And if they don't, it can directly impact me. Thus you agree....the individual mandate is a good thing.
  • ComeOnNow debra.f... 2012/08/09 16:37:11
    ComeOnNow
    I never said that. I said that they should actually be held accountable for their own conscious decisions, wether that be not treating them beyond patching them up and sending them an enforceable bill for services provided or simply making the health care bills able to be strictly enforced.
  • debra.f... ComeOnNow 2012/09/03 02:03:48
    debra.faber
    Now hold on - so you "believe" the government is going to use "brute force" to mandate health insurance (which you already pay for because you are personally responsible). So this policy, this individual mandate, adhered to by the Heritage Foundation and Mitt Romney himself, as advocating personal responsibility, is punishing the responsible? You know, there are some reasons to criticize President Obama, but this is delusional at best, an outright lie at worst.
  • debra.f... ComeOnNow 2012/08/09 15:37:34
    debra.faber
    Funny, I'm a liberal. I run a very successful small business. I provide employment opportunities. I work in my community and I pay my taxes gladly because I am patriotic. And I vote. If right wingers believed in everyone being responsible for themselves, they would be screaming about the amount of corporate welfare in the American system, courtesy of the GOP. They would be completely behind the individual mandate to purchase health insurance, as they have been in the past, before Obama used their idea in his health insurance reform bill. So you are calling me a liar and a thief? You are laughable.
  • ComeOnNow debra.f... 2012/08/09 16:48:17
    ComeOnNow
    I am not for any welfare Werner that be corporate or not. I would be willing to bet that you do everything you can to avoid paying any taxes possible in your business and that you run your personal expenses through your business. Pretty much every liberal I have ever done a loan for does so. Also, this "it is patriotic" to
    Pay any amount of taxes for a government that's ants to spend it anyway they please based almoselt spelt on what they will get reelected on and not what is best for this country is not my definition of patriotic at all.
  • KG 2012/08/06 18:43:57 (edited)
    No, it's all just spin.
    KG
    +4
    Ball Faced LIE! Like everything else that comes from his mouth.

The biggest tax increase on the middle class has already been enacted. The 21 provisions for new taxes in ObamaCare, 14 of which are directly on the middle class.
  • trentinafur 2012/08/06 18:19:32
    trentinafur
    +2
    This question has already been definitively answered by the Tax Policy Center in scoring Romney's tax policies. It's not a matter of opinion: Romney's policies raise taxes on the poor and middle class, and transfer this money to the wealthiest in the country.

Anyone who says otherwise simply wishes to ignore the facts.

"Study: Romney tax plan would shift burden toward poor"
    August 1, 2012

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Mitt Romney's tax plan would provide large tax cuts to the very wealthy, while increasing the tax burden on the lower and middle classes, according to a study released Wednesday.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/08/...
  • marylou5 trentin... 2012/08/10 17:29:02
    marylou5
    LIAR, LIAR PANTS ON FIRE!
    More liberal propaganda with nothing but fairy tales, in the liberal media, to back it up, spewed by the liberal media..... to distract from Obama's failed economy and lack of jobs and 8%+ unemployment!

The Obama camp is terrified and getting dirtier and dirtier, telling bigger and bigger lies, and ...guess what...saying don't BLAME ME, when they are busted with their own words!

It's Chicago politics at its filthiest..They TELL LIES but you can't prove it until after the election! That's what you can expect and it will get more vulgar...that's Obama's way!
    He knows the drill...stand back and say...DON"T BLAME ME...The the story of his life!
  • trentin... marylou5 2012/08/10 17:36:44
    trentinafur
    "LIAR, LIAR PANTS ON FIRE!"

oooookkkkk. 5 years old, are we?

Nuff said.
  • marylou5 trentin... 2012/08/10 18:03:16
    marylou5
    LIAR, LIAR PANTS ON FIRE!
    Even 5 year olds are smart enough to know when witless adults LIE to them.

Since they are directly affected by OBAMABOTS who steal their freedoms and create debt that their generation will be obligated to repay, I am happy to speak for all the 5 year olds you cheated!!

LIAR, LIAR. PANTS ON FIRE!
    This one is for the rest of us you LIE to!
    He knows the drill...he stands back and says...DON"T BLAME ME...
    The story of his life!
  • Badger 2012/08/06 16:55:56 (edited)
    Badger
    +2
    Every other Repuglicant has lowered taxes on the wealthy and then raised taxes on everyone else, they cut funding to tax sponsored social programs, and then pour money into areas they have business connections.
  • Jessie M 2012/08/06 16:12:46
    No, it's all just spin.
    Jessie M
    +5
    First you have to understand that when Obama and his administration talks about the rich. They are talking about household making $250,000, that is not rich.
  • BigFig#9 Jessie M 2012/08/06 17:46:45
    BigFig#9
    +2
    You may not think of $250K adjusted gross as wealthy it is somewhere around the top 2%. (Yes, that shocked me too to find out that I was in this group but feel very middle class). The real story for both candidates here is that the budget won't be balanced by toying with the rates and leaving policies essentially unchanged. Though unpopular, rolling back ALL BUSH cuts eventually needs to be a goal along with a lot of fiscal re-engineering involving DOD and several other sacred cows.
  • KG BigFig#9 2012/08/06 19:08:54
    KG
    You dont get it. Households that make around 250K a year are small buisness owners! That employ 78% of the american workforce, on average they fork out 30% of their own wages back on the buisness.

Tax cuts on these sectors ALWAYS make a mark up in production and job creation, look up the info.

Why should the FEDS have more of their sweat? So they can squander the money? Like Obama's stimulous that included $500 MILLION to a overseas start up company so they can make electric cars! Come on! I know who's the REAL OUT-SOURCER

http://dailycristo.com/politi...

The REAL OUT-SOURCER
    http://www.factcheck.org/2012...

They will never talk about who really is the organizations that need to be taxed, because they are pulling their puppet strings. They are the Multi- Billion dollar off shore conglomerates that pay as little as 2% in taxes. We could force them to produce here through taxes and taffifs and should we talk abou the banks?!
  • socokid KG 2012/08/06 20:05:44
    socokid
    +1
    No one can buy your widget if no one can afford it. Period.

If a small business fails, their business skills were lacking, or the demand wasn't there. If you think that creating even more disparity in this nation (#1), the actual, real problem we have right now, is going to fix things, you just became a part of the problem.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Busi...

Nearly every study done on the matter shows we do FAR better as a nation with less disparity. MUCH less than we have now. Not even on the same planet. All businesses, especially the small ones, do much much better. We are literally witnessing the issues with the opposite right now. We have created a two tiered society where fewer are gaining evermore, and half in this nation wants to give them more to "fix" things? *sigh* Unreal. This is the problem. Making disparity worse will make all of the issues you worry about, worse. There is no escaping it.

http://www.amazon.com/Price-I...

If you want people buying what your small business is selling, you need to give it to those that will actually spend it at your small business. Poor and middle class people. We know outright that they are the ones that drive this economy, and small business. When the private sector fails, guess who's job it is to help... That's right. Government absol...

http://www.csmonitor.com/Busi...

http://www.amazon.com/Price-I...

If you want people buying what your small business is selling, you need to give it to those that will actually spend it at your small business. Poor and middle class people. We know outright that they are the ones that drive this economy, and small business. When the private sector fails, guess who's job it is to help... That's right. Government absolutely has a role here. A big one.
  • KG socokid 2012/08/06 20:48:46 (edited)
    KG
    +1
    No one can buy your widget if they don't have jobs !!!!!!

Jobs is the key, and who employ's? What do you want? The Gov. to keep taxing productive sectors and give it to unproductive sectors? It doesn't work.

The multi national conglomerates that control Obama wish to lie to America, making them believe that 250K is the problem. While they walk away with BILLIONS.

Its all lies, I just thank God not everyone believes the brainwashing of the federal gov.

2014/12/18 19:36:46