Obama Pitches $447 Billion Jobs Plan. Do You Think It Will Work?

ABCnews.com 2011/09/09 02:47:37
Related Topics: Obama, Job, Jobs

• lauren dull 2011/09/09 12:34:01
    No, I don’t think this plan will work.
    lauren dull
    +6
    INSANITY- Doing the same thing over&over; expecting a different result.

• Able 2014/05/13 16:49:01
    No, I don’t think this plan will work.
    Able
    Every plan Obama implements is deliberately designed to fail and do harm to America.
  • mal 2011/09/09 19:13:40
    No, I don’t think this plan will work.
    mal
    +1
    Vote the communist lying pig ,out,save freedom.............
  • william 2011/09/09 18:25:58
    No, I don’t think this plan will work.
    william
    +1
    It will work to breed enough cash to pay his union cronies off for votes . So what else is new other than the 300 point drop in the market instead of the usual 299 point after it opens its mouth .
  • ed 2011/09/09 17:48:14
    No, I don’t think this plan will work.
    ed
    +1
    a rerun of an already failed plan by the democrats and no money to pay for it because our government would rather send it or give it to other countries so they can prosper.
  • JDHARTLV 2011/09/09 17:30:45
    No, I don’t think this plan will work.
    JDHARTLV
    +1
    We do not need more useless stimulus, we need to;
    Bring our troops home.
    Cut foreign aid.
    Bring industry back from over seas.
    Close the boarder.
    And start using our natural resources.
  • danielle 2011/09/09 15:47:50
    No, I don’t think this plan will work.
    danielle
    I think there are hidden "costs" on this program that some aren't taking into account. Basic math tells you that we can't give (almost) everyone a $1500 tax cut and then push through something that is costing $447B and not have fiscal issues. I don't understand why people don't realize we can't cut taxes and spend more money. Math doesn't work like that
  • Chris - The Rowdy One! #187 2011/09/09 14:50:45
  • zbacku 2011/09/09 14:25:19
    No, I don’t think this plan will work.
    zbacku
    It's more of the same. Spending money we don't have. Note to government:
    Get your hands off the business of business and let us grow under the tried and true 'Supply and Demand' rules.
  • tea for... zbacku 2011/09/09 15:27:33
    tea for you
    demand rules supply
  • twhiting9275 2011/09/09 13:50:57
    No, I don’t think this plan will work.
    twhiting9275
    Duuuuh, NO!
    We've been down this road before. How much was the first stimulus? How's THAT looking now?

GOVERNMENT created jobs do nothing but create more taxes. The government needs to find a way to bring business BACK into the US while NOT raising taxes.
  • Expert Expat 2011/09/09 13:40:03
    No, I don’t think this plan will work.
    Expert Expat
    *yawn* same old junk wrapped in different paper. He hasn't a clue and he's just huffing and puffing some more. "In way over his head" is right - he's just a golfer, presidential wannabe.
  • davidl 2011/09/09 12:37:06
    No, I don’t think this plan will work.
    davidl
    +2
    It will never get past congress ... thankfully.
  • twhitin... davidl 2011/09/09 13:53:14
    twhiting9275
    And he's going to blame them, accusing them of impeding recovery. Oh, wait, hasn't he been DOING that the past 3 years?
  • davidl twhitin... 2011/09/09 14:03:02
    davidl
    +1
    Obama will have to run on his record for the first time i his career. Blaming repubs won't work ... it shows he is not a leader.
  • lauren dull 2011/09/09 12:34:01
    No, I don’t think this plan will work.
    lauren dull
    +6
  • mrscas 2011/09/09 12:21:12
    No, I don’t think this plan will work.
    mrscas
    +2
    Of course not.
  • JustSmackYourself 2011/09/09 12:16:12
  • the fuze 2011/09/09 11:18:29
    No, I don’t think this plan will work.
    the fuze
    +1
    Not likely.
  • Minarchist 2011/09/09 10:47:36
    No, I don’t think this plan will work.
    Minarchist
    +3
    What did Hoover's Sec. of Treas. say after trying to stimulate the economy. He told him that unemployment had only risen and that they were deeper in debt.
  • dubbie 2011/09/09 10:24:36
    No, I don’t think this plan will work.
    dubbie
    +2
    It`s not designed to work,As everything else he`s come out with ,its to grab more money. Congress tell them to shove it , You aint passing nothing, especially this sugar coated BS. You could see the demons intentions with their crap eating grins, Dont fall for it
  • taitaFalcon23 2011/09/09 09:30:37
    Yes, I think the plan is sound.
    taitaFalcon23
    there are a lot of moving parts to it; but if we commit ourselves to success.. it can work, but if dismantlng goverment to make it work is the only solution, it will fail and this POTUS won't get the blame
  • davidl taitaFa... 2011/09/09 12:41:08
    davidl
    Just like the last stimulus bill, right?
  • taitaFa... davidl 2011/09/09 15:51:48
    taitaFalcon23
    the last stimulus bill worked but not for everyone. Wall St. and the auto industry loved it.... you and me? It had very little impact. But it should be viewed as triage... Stopping the bleeding is not necessarily heart surgery... He's been fighting a non-cooperative House ever since. Last night's speech was a chess move... He gave them things that the GOP said they could not live without... fine. Let's work within that.. that places the ball firmly in their court. The GOP is perplexed and they're saying.. 'Oh sh*t! He gave us just what we wanted....' But the Pressident capitolized on the fact that they have worse poll numbers than he does... Turnabout is fair play, especially when they started it.
  • davidl taitaFa... 2011/09/09 15:59:43
    davidl
    It did not work by any means. Has the debt for the bill been paid off yet? What percent of those jobs even lasted more than a few months? How many dollars did each of those new jobs cost?

Since you said it worked, then please quantify HOW it worked, exactly?
  • taitaFa... davidl 2011/09/09 16:14:49
    taitaFalcon23
    the permanently employed in Detroit would beg to differ as well as the record profiting Wall st speculators sitting on the best ratio of profit vs taxation in 30 years. People are in jobs that were going away and some that have already been lost to the tune of 750K per month... He stopped that and until recently had been creating jobs at a rate of 400K, which incidentally, coincides with the BS over the debt ceiling. The money for the first stimulus has been set aside but not even fully spent yet... Projects offered to Govs. like Rick Scott in Florida were refused and now Scott is looking at a one term administration from pissed off citizens in his state. You're less than impressed with this POTUS's efforts... fine, but he cannot authorize funding, he can only propose... The people who are supposed to do that, have a lower estimation of their ability to work than the guy they've made it their life's ambition to sabotage. The math still adds up from my original post.
  • davidl taitaFa... 2011/09/09 16:48:12
    davidl
    Do the math. How much did each of those jobs cost taxpayers? We would have been better off writing every one of them a check for a million dollars,.
  • taitaFa... davidl 2011/09/09 17:45:05
    taitaFalcon23
    it's not dollar for dollar per job; with that logic, it costs the US the better part of $50 million to create buy each fighter jock in an airplane, like each plane is personally his... but if they're handing them out... I can stick and rudder with the best of them...
  • davidl taitaFa... 2011/09/09 19:05:29
    davidl
    What does that have to do with autoworkers in Detroit? You said the stimulus bill worked. We even got screwed on the auto bailout as the country didn't even get paid all the money we loaned them.

Jobs that cost 0.5 - $1M each don't make sense. Even the CBO says the previous bill was a failure. Don't try to insult me or anybody else saying this was a good deal for the country as a whole. Sure some union people made out like bandits, as well as bloated government employers ... but the country lost out in the net.
  • taitaFa... davidl 2011/09/09 19:13:07
    taitaFalcon23
    the auto industry is back with authority and the other countries are back to playing catch up... and Wall St's record profit taking is testament all by itself. The auto industry is still paying back the loans and are collectively at about 90% pay back. Maybe you don't remember... the nation was just about at default for a long term set of disasters... all that got reversed.. I agree that the risk was socialized and that the gains were privatized but that outcome did SOMEBODY some good.. It just didn;'t bail out 100 million homeowners
  • davidl taitaFa... 2011/09/09 19:32:27
    davidl
    Most of the jobs went to government employees, not the private sector. It did some good? Some doesn't cut it, it was a disaster and overall net loss to the country.

That is like saying shutting down GM will do some good, because people who work for Toyota in the USA will benefit because they will move more cars due to less competition.
  • taitaFa... davidl 2011/09/09 20:00:10
    taitaFalcon23
    you're selling the effort short; for most of the past 30 months, the nation gained 400K jobs per month - net. Those people don't see failure. If your negativism is leading you to continue selling our country short...I will you well, I've got to get to work on my own biz right now.. take care....
  • ed taitaFa... 2011/09/09 17:49:32
    ed
    who is footing the bill on this plan?
  • taitaFa... ed 2011/09/09 17:55:47
    taitaFalcon23
    +1
    old powerless people - again... costs will come from reduced expenditures on the dead and dying, reduced S/S and medicare funding, and closeout of the two longest and most expensive wars in US history
  • ed taitaFa... 2011/09/09 17:59:41
    ed
    they cannot reduce s/s funding because that's a payroll deduction.
  • taitaFa... ed 2011/09/09 18:09:12
    taitaFalcon23
    benefits payout will bear the brunt of that brilliance - they're still going to collect the money; the GOP millionaire pols have just made sure that fewer people will see it... but then again, whatever people think of this President - they think worse of the Congress
  • ed taitaFa... 2011/09/09 18:12:56
    ed
    we will see what happens and I'm not disagreeing with you.
  • taitaFa... ed 2011/09/09 19:07:55
    taitaFalcon23
    +1
    oh, I understand... just because I have SOME optimism left, does not mean I don't have reservations myself.. This is my country too... I'd like it to run a little better a ta cheaper rate; but that's like wishing your V8 ran on all cylinders instead of just the ones that are available. He threw out some proposals, either Congress will work with him or not... But if they don't, they answer for their part. If they don't, this President has to answer for his.. That's why supporting an honest effort is what the country needs more than political victories. We can cheer on the winning team in a game or we can celebrate a championship season.
  • ed taitaFa... 2011/09/10 11:23:03
    ed
    for the sake of our country I hope our politicans can stop thinking about themselves and the next election to strengthen our economy and put people back to work and I am aware that it cannot happen over night and will take some time.
  • taitaFa... ed 2011/09/10 12:40:06
    taitaFalcon23
    +1
    agreed; it's the effort that will tell us who we are... these problems are all man-made, thank-you for your service... I was just out of high school in '75 when Saigon fell. My son just returned from the 'Stan this week. We're all poised to move on
  • ed taitaFa... 2011/09/10 16:35:02
    ed
    +1
    thanks and have a great weekend

2014/11/20 21:10:59