Obama gets called out by Anderson Cooper and MSNBC, for not taking a stance on Gay Marriage. Why do you think he wont speak up?

Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru 2012/05/08 13:58:58

• Dan™: Real Change, Not Fals... 2012/05/08 15:39:50
    He knows the country is divided 50/50 over it and doesn't want to lose votes ...
    Dan™: Real Change, Not False Hope
    +11
    Because Obama is a shrewd and cynical political opportunist. He has a history of trying to play both sides of any issue for maximum political benefit. Obama doesn't seem to really believe in any cause other than furthering his own political career and ambitions.

Maybe he'd be less opportunistic in a second term and pursue his true ideological goals -- if he actually has any -- and that's actually what scares me most about an Obama second term. As he told Medvedev, he'll be more "flexible" in his second term on a lot of issues. I don't personally care about the gay marriage issue. That's not my concern. My concern is Obama's true ideological position on a host of other issues that affect all of us, not just a small demographic.

• in vino veritas 2012/05/08 22:59:50
  • niki 2012/05/08 22:51:47
    I think its because:
    niki
    +2
    he is in a political campaign and would like to win. It is a pragmatic thing...win and you can do something about marriage equality...lose and you can't.
  • God bless American freedom 2012/05/08 21:53:54
    I think its because:
    God bless American freedom
    +3
    I think it is because he is a poser who may also be a bisexual male with his own issues but who also as a political person thinks only of getting people to vote for him for his craving for power over us all .but NOT over himself eh? ( politicans ) .
  • AL 2012/05/08 21:28:58
    I think its because:
    AL
    +4
    Obama just doesn't want to lose any more of his VOTING BLOCKS is all!
  • firebird 2012/05/08 21:21:09
    I think its because:
    firebird
    +2
    HE doesn't want to lose votes !
  • Willie 2012/05/08 20:55:41
    Willie
    +4
    This answer is correct. He's hedging his bets. After the election, he'll be free to express his real opinion, which I would suspect is in support of gay marriage, but in the meantime he's just voting "present".

Generally, I support Obama, but I agree that he should be more up front about this issue.
  • God ble... Willie 2012/05/08 21:58:49
    God bless American freedom
    +1
    he should have been and always should be more upfront about every issue.
  • john Kills 2012/05/08 20:53:43
    I think its because:
    john Kills
    +1
    Muslim don't agree with queerdom, and neither do I. This may be the only time I agree with barry. Damn, saying that leaves a horrible taste in my mouth.
  • God ble... john Kills 2012/05/08 22:01:36 (edited)
    God bless American freedom
    +2
    actually , Muhammed while he claimed he condemned homosexuality and commanded men to cover their bodies .. was well known to associate with and purchase homosexual slaves ( hadith of Bukhari ) ... Then as now .. society ( male dominated ) in general condemned such activity ...

Americans should really READ qa'ran and hadith of Bukhari .. and remember well that Obama has stated no matter what happens politcally he WILL land on the side of islam/shari'a....
  • FromJesus'sPerspective 2012/05/08 20:18:02
    I think its because:
    FromJesus'sPerspective
    +1
    How many times does President Obama need to state his views regarding gay marriage and all for inclusion with the least disruption in the military.
  • Ira 2012/05/08 19:38:44
    I think its because:
    Ira
    +2
    Its a weak non issue and has no bearing on the economy which is the real problem and simply serves the GOP agenda of distracting from real issues. Its all BS, divisive politics.
  • God ble... Ira 2012/05/09 00:06:38
    God bless American freedom
    +1
    either side... it is a non issue.
  • Lisa 2012/05/08 19:29:18
    I think its because:
    Lisa
    +1
    He is not capable of making his own decisions. Just like a little child , he must be told what to say. Do you think Soros is for gay marriage ?
  • Ira Lisa 2012/05/08 19:45:01
    Ira
    It is a stand on an issue that has no bearing on the real issues plaguing America right now. If this is the crap that upsets you, your priorities are way off.
  • Lisa Ira 2012/05/08 19:57:08
    Lisa
    +2
    i was just responding to the silly post, I care more about the economy and jobs, thank you very much!
  • Heptarch 2012/05/08 18:36:57
    Heptarch
    +3
    It's all political.
  • Assassi... Heptarch 2012/05/08 19:24:39
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +3
    I agree.
  • relic 2012/05/08 18:30:31
    I think its because:
    relic
    +2
    The majority of Black and Hispanic voters are against Gay Marriage (look up the demographics of California's Proposition 8). He will lose without their vote.
  • Elocin_eiram 2012/05/08 18:28:56
  • rogerkatrina 2012/05/08 18:26:45
    I think its because:
    rogerkatrina
    +2
    his brain-trust hasn't told him what to say yet...
  • Ira rogerka... 2012/05/08 19:44:41
    Ira
  • rogerka... Ira 2012/05/08 22:44:49
    rogerkatrina
    Oh, okay. You obviously think you know me well enough to jump to the conclusion that this is a topic that somehow upsets me. Enlighten me. Please.
  • tdterry1999 2012/05/08 18:06:54
    I don't know why he wont speak up
    tdterry1999
    +1
    You would think as a gay man he would be speaking out.Unless he is scared of his fake wife.Or Soros might have told him to stay in the closet .
  • Assassi... tdterry... 2012/05/08 19:25:50
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +1
    You would think as afool, you would keep quiet until you knew what you were talking about. But, what can you say... any fool is entitled to speak.
  • tdterry... Assassi... 2012/05/08 22:41:32
    tdterry1999
    +1
    And you just did.
  • Carol 2012/05/08 18:00:00
    I think its because:
    Carol
    +2
    Action speaks louder than words and look at what he has done.
    FEDERAL LEGISLATION SIGNED INTO LAW

*Signed the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act, which expanded existing United States federal hate crime law to include crimes motivated by a victim’s actual or perceived gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability -- the first positive federal LGBT legislation in the nation's history
    *Signed repeal of Don't Ask/Don't Tell
    *Signed the Ryan White HIV/AIDS Treatment Extension Act

POLICIES CHANGED

*Reversed an inexcusable US position by signing the UN Declaration on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity
    *Extended benefits to same-sex partners of federal employees in 2009 and, further, in 2010
    *Lifted the HIV Entry Ban effective January 2010
    *Issued diplomatic passports, and provided other benefits, to the partners of same-sex foreign service employees
    *Committed to ensuring that federal housing programs are open to all, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity
    *Conceived a National Resource Center for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Elders -- the nation's first ever -- funded by a three-year HHS grant to SAG

*Banned job discrimination based on gender identity throughout the Federal government (the nation's largest emp...

&

&

&

&

FEDERAL LEGISLATION SIGNED INTO LAW

*Signed repeal of Don't Ask/Don't Tell

POLICIES CHANGED

*Banned job discrimination based on gender identity throughout the Federal government (the nation's largest employer)
    *Eliminated the discriminatory Census Bureau policy that kept our relationships from being counted, encouraging couples who consider themselves married to file that way, even if their state of residence does not yet permit legal marriage
    *Instructed HHS to require any hospital receiving Medicare or Medicaid funds (virtually all hospitals) to allow LGBT visitation rights
    *Required all grant applicants seeking HUD funding to comply with state and local anti-discrimination laws that protect LGBT individuals
    *Adopted transgender recommendations on the issuance of gender-appropriate passports that will ease barriers to safe travel and that will provide government-issued ID that avoids involuntary "outing" in situations requiring ID, like hiring, where a gender-appropriate driver's license or birth certificate is not available
    *Extended domestic violence protections to LGBT victims
    *Extended the Family and Medical Leave Act to cover employees taking unpaid leave to care for the children of same-sex partners
    *Issued guidance specifically to assist LGBT tenants denied housing on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity
    *Issued a National HIV/AIDS Strategy praised as "long-overdue" by the Task Force, Lambda and others
    *Issued guidance to 15,000 local departments of education and 5,000 colleges to support educators in combating bullying
    *Cut back authority to discharge under Don't Ask/Don't Tell from hundreds of generals to just 6 civilian appointees, effectively ending discharges while working toward a permanent end to the policy.
    *Led the fight that reversed a 2010 UN vote removing sexual orientation from the list of things people should not be killed for
    *Launched the first-ever national study of discrimination against members of the LGBT community in the rental and sale of housing
    *Determined that Section 3 of DOMA is unconstitutional, that discrimination against LGBT citizens should be subject to "heightened scrutiny" and that it will no longer defend this portion of the law in court.
    *Vacated a court order that would have deported a gay American's Venezuelan partner

RESPECT & INCLUSION

*Endorsed the Baldwin-Lieberman bill, The Domestic Partnership Benefits and Obligations Act of 2009, to provide FULL partnership benefits to federal employees
    *Released the first Presidential PRIDE proclamations since 2000
    *Hosted the first LGBT Pride Month Celebration in White House history
    *Awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom to Harvey Milk and Billie Jean King, joining past recipients such as Rosa Parks
    *Appointed the first ever transgender DNC member
    *Testified in favor of ENDA, the first time any official of any administration has testified in the Senate on ENDA
    *Hired more openly LGBT officials (like these) in its first two years -- more than 150, including more than 20 "Senate-confirmables" -- than any previous administration hired in four years or eight
    *Sworn in Ambassador David Huebner
    *Changed the culture of government everywhere from – among others – HUD and HHS to the Export-Import Bank, the State Department, and the Department of Education
    *Appointed Justices Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan, instead of conservatives who would have tilted the Court even further to the right and virtually doomed our rights for a generation. To wit (quoting McCain): "I've said a thousand times on this campaign trail, I've said as often as I can, that I want to find clones of Alito and Roberts. I worked as hard as anybody to get them confirmed. I look you in the eye and tell you I've said a thousand times that I wanted Alito and Roberts. I have told anybody who will listen. I flat-out tell you I will have people as close to Roberts and Alito ."

*Named open transgender appointees (the first President ever to do so)
    *Emphasized LGBT inclusion in everything from the President’s historic NAACP address (“The pain of discrimination is still felt in America. By African American women paid less for doing the same work as colleagues of a different color and a different gender. By Latinos made to feel unwelcome in their own country. By Muslim Americans viewed with suspicion simply because they kneel down to pray to their God. By our gay brothers and sisters, still taunted, still attacked, still denied their rights.”) . . . to the first paragraph of his Family Day proclamation (“Whether children are raised by two parents, a single parent, grandparents, a same-sex couple, or a guardian, families encourage us to do our best and enable us to accomplish great things”) and his Mothers Day proclamation ("Nurturing families come in many forms, and children may be raised by two parents, a single mother, two mothers, a step-mom, a grandmother, or a guardian. Mother's Day gives us an opportunity to celebrate these extraordinary caretakers") . . . to creating the chance for an adorable 10-year-old at the White House Easter Egg roll to tell ABC World News how cool it is to have two mommies . . . to including the chair of the National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce along with the Secretary of the Treasury and the President of Goldman Sachs in the small audience for the President’s economic address at the New York Stock Exchange . . . to welcoming four gay couples to its first State Dinner
    *Recommitted, in a televised address, to passing ENDA . . . repealing Don’t Ask/Don’t Tell . . . repealing the so-called Defense of Marriage Act
    *Spoken out against discrimination at the National Prayer Breakfast ("We may disagree about gay marriage, but surely we can agree that it is unconscionable to target gays and lesbians for who they are -- whether it's here in the United States or, as Hillary mentioned, more extremely in odious laws that are being proposed most recently in Uganda.")
    *Dispatched the Secretary of Defense and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff to call on the Senate to repeal Don't Ask / Don't Tell
    *Launched a website to gather public comment on first-ever federal LGBT housing discrimination study
    *Appointed long-time equality champion Chai Feldblum one of the four Commissioners of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
    *Produced U.S. Census Bureau PSAs featuring gay, lesbian, and transgender spokespersons
    *Appointed Retired Colonel Margarethe Cammermeyer, an early public champion of open service in the military, to the Defense Advisory

Committee on Women in the Services
    *Publicly invited the shunned MIssissippi high school prom student to the White House
    *Successfully fought for UN accreditation of IGLHRC (the International Gay & Lesbian Human Rights Commission) -- against Republican attempts to block it
    *Convened the first-ever anti-bullying summit to craft a national strategy to reduce bullying in schools
    *Launched stopbullying.gov
    *Awarded $13.3 million to the LA Gay & Lesbian Center to create a model program for LGBTQ youth in the foster care system
    *Tweeted to 5.7 million BarackObama followers and nearly 2 million WhiteHouse followers the President's "It Gets Better" video
    *Embraced that campaign with heartfelt messages from, as well, the Vice President, the Secretary of State, the Secretary of *Agriculture (aimed particularly at rural youth), the Secretaries of Education and Health & Human Services, the Secretary of Labor (in English and Spanish), the Director of OPM and LGBT members of the White House staff
    *Issued a Department of Justice video urging kids to call a Justice Department toll-free number if their school is aware of bullying but taking no action
    *Held the first ever White House conference on bullying prevention, led by the President and First Lady
    *Hosted first-ever White House transgender policy meeting
  • "Shooter" E-7 ™ 2012/05/08 17:20:41
    I think its because:
    "Shooter" E-7 ™
    +4
    Because he doesn't have enough cajones to make a stand, this is a man who is a fake and a coward.

sissy obama
  • Ira "Shoote... 2012/05/08 19:42:56
    Ira
  • "Shoote... Ira 2012/05/08 22:33:19
    "Shooter" E-7 ™
    +1
    You are way off. my life comes first, I guess yours don't and I can't help that.
  • Charge 2012/05/08 17:00:59
    I think its because:
    Charge
    +3
    He's between a rock and a hard place,he wants to retain the votes of the Gay rights people but can't afford to piss off the Christian Blacks and Hispanics.... soooo he is trying to have it both ways by signaling to the Gay Rights people, wink, wink, nod, nod (Biden) and not committing, to keep the Blacks and Hispanics on his side. Simple, he's lying to both to get votes.
  • Tully 2012/05/08 17:00:55
    I think its because:
    Tully
    +3
    There's more important thing to worry about than two dudes getting hitched. Its up to the states anyway.
  • John BNO 2012/05/08 16:57:37
    I think its because:
    John BNO
    +3
    He has spoken up on several occasions but apparently people don't listen. He has blatantly stated that he wants to insure that couples who are married in a state that recognized gay marriages are afford all of the rights that a hetero-sexual couple receive no matter what state they travel to. http://www.youtube.com/watch?...
    He also doesn't want to tread on appearing to dictate to religious groups that they have to preform gay marriages or even recognize them within the church.
  • luvguins 2012/05/08 16:41:07
    luvguins
    +5
    I don't think he wants to hurt his chances in the swing states like NC that may be averse to same sex marriage.
  • Assassi... luvguins 2012/05/08 19:26:25
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +2
    I agree. NC would be a coup.
  • luvguins Assassi... 2012/05/09 01:46:15
    luvguins
    +1
    NC just voted yes on Amendment 1. Too bad as it will effect all couples, not just gays.
  • ed 2012/05/08 16:29:20
    I think its because:
    ed
    +4
    I think it's because he doesn't really like the gays to begin with and uses them when ever the need arises like he does everything else.
  • Common ... ed 2012/05/08 16:51:07
    Common Sense Conservative
    +4
    He's a homo himself.
  • ed Common ... 2012/05/08 17:34:31
    ed
    +3
    closet one
  • Common ... ed 2012/05/08 18:24:09
    Common Sense Conservative
    +4
    It will all come out some day.
  • 4570GOVT 2012/05/08 16:19:36 (edited)
    I think its because:
    4570GOVT
    +6
    IT IS OBVIOUS ! .......... For the Same Reason he voted " Present " when he was a Senator . He wants NOTHING on record that may be used against him ! This has been his Method Of Operation whenever possible . He WILL NEVER take a stand on controversial Issues if he does not have to . He MUST BE put into a corner and " MADE " to chose . There have been many times when he was " forced to chose " but usually he will stall until the event is behind him - see how the public reacts - And Take Credit For It -OR- Pass Blame if it fails . He test the water .... after the fact .

2014/07/29 08:52:30