Obama Encourages Boy Scouts of America To End Ban on Gays: Should They?

SodaHead News 2013/02/04 01:04:00
On Sunday, in an interview with CBS anchor Scott Pelley, President Barack Obama encouraged the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) to lift their ban on gay members and leaders.

He said, "My attitude is . . . that gays and lesbians should have access and opportunity the same way everybody else does, in every institution and walk of life. . . . The Scouts are a great institution that are promoting young people and exposing them to, you know, opportunities and leadership that will serve people for the rest of their lives, and I think that nobody should be barred (from) that."

These comments from Obama come days before the BSA national executive board is expected to vote on whether to lift the ban it reaffirmed just last year. If the board votes to lift the ban on Wednesday, policies on sexual orientation will be left up to local BSA organizations.

“The policy change under discussion would allow the religious, civic or educational organizations that oversee and deliver scouting to determine how to address this issue,” BSA spokesman Deron Smith said in a statement. “The Boy Scouts would not, under any circumstances, dictate a position to units, members or parents.”

Considering that the majority of local chartering groups are faith-based, including the Roman Catholic and Mormon churches, it is likely that many troops will continue to bar gay scouts and leaders, regardless of what the BSA national executive board decides.

Boy Scouts

Read More: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/03/us-usa-b...

• SUPREME COSMIC POWER, (SCOPO) 2013/02/04 01:14:10
    No, they should not end the ban.
    SUPREME COSMIC POWER, (SCOPO)
    +31
    President Obama was just expressing his opinion which he is entitled to. The Consitution grants Americans the right to free association. Nobody can force anyone to associate with somebody that you have no desire to associate with. I support gay people to have the same rights and freedom like everyone else as long as they don't infringe upon the freedom and rights of everyone else. One should be free to associate or not associate. It has to be two way not one way!

• jgeorgia2000 2013/10/18 18:34:27
    No, they should not end the ban.
    jgeorgia2000
    Told everyone what was next Of course we all knew the next step had to come, not just kids now must have leaders too
  • Illuminatti 37° 2013/02/28 07:20:45
    No, they should not end the ban.
    Illuminatti 37°
    There is nothing to stop homosexuals from forming a Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts organisation of their own, nothing to stop them from combining female homosexuals and male homosexuals into one organisation, it could simply be called the Happy Scouts of (country), that way no homosexual tags or stigma would be attached.
  • MikeWon 2013/02/20 16:29:14
    No, they should not end the ban.
    MikeWon
    +1
    Woteva Barx Whosain Obumma has to say is none of our biznez! There really needs to be a sanctuary away from him & the rest of the gender challenged degenerates! no queers here
  • ScottM MikeWon 2013/02/22 14:18:05
    ScottM
    Gender challeneged degenerates? Really? What exactly is that supposed to mean?
  • MikeWon ScottM 2013/02/22 21:09:11
    MikeWon
    +1
    Ifin we gotz to splain it, ya wouldn't understand! duh
  • Daisy's... MikeWon 2013/02/26 13:11:23
    Daisy's Brother
    +1
    hilarious. Disagree entirely by the way, but as you made me laugh with your hilarious comments I give you 2 thumbs up.
  • MikeWon Daisy's... 2013/02/27 02:22:56
    MikeWon
    Even a homophobe kin graciously accept acknowledgement of a good sense of humor! Thank you very much!
  • ScottM MikeWon 2013/11/05 15:45:27
    ScottM
    Maybe I just make it a point not to understand bigots.
  • MikeWon ScottM 2013/11/06 06:51:49
    MikeWon
    Perhaps standards should be reviewed to include some discernment.
  • Martyr4Christ 2013/02/14 09:39:21
    No, they should not end the ban.
    Martyr4Christ
    +1
    No they should not. Especially in light of the pedophilia recently. When it comes to the safety of our children, it's better to be safe than sorry.
  • ScottM Martyr4... 2013/02/14 17:46:41 (edited)
    ScottM
    +1
    Then you better keep your kids from your other family members. That's where quite a bit of molestation comes from. Also keep them from your church, because that's another great place to be molested it seems.
  • Martyr4... ScottM 2013/02/19 14:07:11
    Martyr4Christ
    Your twisted logic suggests every family has a pedophile, which is not true. As far as your church comment, I do not attend church because Satanists have infested the churches and I also believe organized religion draws one away from Christ w/their unbiblical, man-made doctrines.
  • ScottM Martyr4... 2013/02/22 14:17:02
    ScottM
    Not saying that every family has a pedophile, but I can tell you that my family did and my Boy Scout troop didn't. You make it sound like all gay people are pedophiles. That same person in my family was also the only one that really went to church. I agree with you on the organized religion.
  • Daisy's... Martyr4... 2013/02/25 12:37:23
    Daisy's Brother
    Yeah, let the church look after them.
  • elijahin24 2013/02/13 19:12:16
    Yes, they should end the ban.
    elijahin24
    Sexual orientation should have NOTHING to do with the qualifications of ANYTHING. The BSA should not be FORCED by LAW to change their policies; but they absolutely should change them voluntarilly. They are becoming another hate-group.
  • RyanH 2013/02/12 09:25:36
    Yes, they should end the ban.
    RyanH
    End it! They'll lose funding from anti gay organizations however they're likely to pick up funding from pro gay organizations just the same.
  • Daisy's... RyanH 2013/02/25 12:39:26
    Daisy's Brother
    Yep, your pretty sharp.... Its all about the funding!!
  • The future inspires 2013/02/10 22:54:01
    Yes, they should end the ban.
    The future inspires
    I don't know why this is a problem in the modern age. You have Bronze Age morality against a world of space travel, computers, and science.
  • eyeballz 2013/02/10 04:14:22
    No, they should not end the ban.
    eyeballz
    +1
    They are a private organization , legally they have the right to choose what their organization represents .
  • elijahin24 eyeballz 2013/02/13 19:13:49
    elijahin24
    The question was not "should they be FORCED to change?", but rather "should they change?".
  • mae 2013/02/10 03:40:18
    Yes, they should end the ban.
    mae
    +1
    End it. To continue it is a form of bullying.
  • rocat 2013/02/09 19:58:53
    No, they should not end the ban.
    rocat
    +2
    they should do as they see best-
    they are a non-govt group...thus free to choose-

i do wonder tho...

unless the person admits to being gay...
    how would the scouts know???

is there a test???
    of course not-

how does one enforce a ban...
    based on an unknowable factor???
  • elijahin24 rocat 2013/02/13 19:17:59
    elijahin24
    +1
    That is the same basis which was used to defend Don't Ask Don't Tell in the military. The problem is that such a policy is inherently hypocritical. Like the military, the BSA prides itself on the integrity of it's members. Such a policy, undermines that integrity, by requiring those members to hide a fact about themselves, and to lie if they find themselves in the position. This is to say nothing of the fact that the BSA claims to be about developing boys to be strong and proud. How can they be either, if they are forced to hide this fact, because the BSA is ashamed of them?
  • Daisy's... rocat 2013/02/26 13:15:30 (edited)
    Daisy's Brother
    Yes there is a test.
    Send a few hot dudes passed the window. the str8 guys probably wouldnt even notice, the gays will be pressed to the window for a better look. Walah, seperate the homo and non homo.
    Also especially us Gays have really good GAYDAR, a few minutes and i can usually tell. Find a twisted religious gay man and use his natural god given GAYDAR for the betterment of the non gay world.
  • holly go lightly 2013/02/08 21:28:07
    No, they should not end the ban.
    holly go lightly
    +3
    Not unless they want to and why should they give a rat's ass about what the puppet in chief has to say about it?0 needs to stay out of things like this .
    Every time he "acts stupidly"other people have to suffer.
  • elijahin24 holly g... 2013/02/13 19:18:38
    elijahin24
    Who would suffer if the BSA heeded his advice? And how?
  • holly g... elijahin24 2013/02/13 21:20:31
    holly go lightly
    +2
    My response to the question was "Not unless they want to" ,now if you can't understand what that means you are pretty much hopeless and not worth attempting to converse with.
  • elijahin24 holly g... 2013/02/14 02:43:10
    elijahin24
    You said "Every time he "acts stupidly"other people have to suffer." I'm asking you who is going to suffer from this, and how? If you cannot explain your words, and do not find those who read them to be worthy of the time it takes to clarify; maybe you should not say them.
  • holly g... elijahin24 2013/02/14 03:05:04
    holly go lightly
    +1
    The scouts that are being pressured to drop the ban on gays.the fact that the president even addressed the issue is putting pressure on them.I hope they will just get the fed out of their business so they can operate as a private organization
    making and keeping their own rules.
    I would also love to see gays create their own scouting organization.I'm sure the adults can see the benefit for the youngsters.
  • elijahin24 holly g... 2013/02/14 12:26:18
    elijahin24
    I think the adults would see that for what it is: a modern incarnation of "seperate but equal". It didn't work for black people in the 50's and 60's, and it won't work for gays, today. Nothing but full inclusion will ever be acceptable. Some people won't like it, but sooner or later you're all going to have to accept it. History teaches us that EVERY battle for equality, eventually ends with those seeking fair treatment, winning; and those who fought against them, paying a much bigger price, than if they had simply accepted those who were different in the first place.
    Whether you think homosexuality is a sin or not, from just a pragmatic standpoint, you are fighting a losing battle. The BSA may not allow gays to join right now, but sooner or later, they will. Same-sex marriage may not be legal in all 50 states today, but sooner or later, it will be. Gays may not be able to adopt children in every state today, but sooner or later, they will. And this is what I don't understand: why are you fighting this? What do you really hope to gain? Of course we all have the right to our beliefs, religiously; but those religious beliefs, laws and restrictions, can't be put into federal law. It doesn't work. Sooner or later, you will lose this. The only question is, how much damage to your ...
    Whether you think homosexuality is a sin or not, from just a pragmatic standpoint, you are fighting a losing battle. The BSA may not allow gays to join right now, but sooner or later, they will. Same-sex marriage may not be legal in all 50 states today, but sooner or later, it will be. Gays may not be able to adopt children in every state today, but sooner or later, they will. And this is what I don't understand: why are you fighting this? What do you really hope to gain? Of course we all have the right to our beliefs, religiously; but those religious beliefs, laws and restrictions, can't be put into federal law. It doesn't work. Sooner or later, you will lose this. The only question is, how much damage to your own cause will you do, in order to hold it off? We look back in shame, and justly ridicule people like George Wallace for using the national guard to try to keep black kids out of white schools. Do you really want your church to be seen in that same way, ten or twenty years from now? It will be. People roll their eyes when they hear my grandpa spout his racist nonsense. Do you really want to be treated that way? You will be. I understand that you think homosexuality is a sin, and you want to discourage people from being (what they were born to be) gay; but at what point does a reasonable person recognize that they are hurting themselves, more than the people that they are fighting?
  • holly g... elijahin24 2013/02/14 16:38:42
    holly go lightly
    +1
    "YourGoing to have to accept it"
    That is why I don't try to or even want to talk to you.You have your head screwed up your ass so tight it is hard to believe you can breath.I learned from dealing with you on another poll that you are sure that you know what anyone who disagrees with you is a Red necked ,gun toting bible thumpeing bitter clinger.'That is the attitude of a fool.
    I have told you before and I'll say it again,until I tell you what I think ,you have no idea what I think.You are not smart enough to ask so you will never know.
  • elijahin24 holly g... 2013/02/14 19:23:00
    elijahin24
    I never claimed to know what you think. I know what you say. You SAY that you are in favor of what ANY reasonable person would call "segregation". I also know history; and history tells us that you are fighting a losing battle.
  • holly g... elijahin24 2013/02/14 21:17:53
    holly go lightly
    See what I mean? You are nothing more than one of the swarming punks that think you are on this forum to attack rather than discuss .
    As for fighting a losing battle ,you are probably right but you are too damned stupid to lnow what I mean by that.
  • elijahin24 holly g... 2013/02/14 21:30:32
    elijahin24
    I'm not the one calling names. I'm not attacking you. I'm trying to discuss; but a discussion means that you talk and I listen, AND I talk and YOU listen. It is NOT you telling me what you think, and me mindlessly nodding my agreement.
  • holly g... elijahin24 2013/02/14 22:10:39
    holly go lightly
    ???............
  • elijahin24 holly g... 2013/02/14 23:10:02
    elijahin24
    What specifically are you questioning?
  • holly g... elijahin24 2013/02/14 23:13:35
    holly go lightly
    " It is NOT you telling me what you think, and me mindlessly nodding my agreement."
    Everything you say is just more of the same .How bout you jut leave me alone ?
  • elijahin24 holly g... 2013/02/15 15:40:42
    elijahin24
    You know what, Troll; I'm fine with that. You are a narrow-minded bigot, and I'd rather not waste any more of my time on you, anyway.
  • stevegtexas@aol.com 2013/02/08 16:55:00
  • ScottM stevegt... 2013/02/08 17:07:24
    ScottM
    +3
    It's Boy Scouts, not Heterosexual Male Scouts. By your logic it seems that gay boys should be in the Girl Scouts, and lesbian girls should be in the Boy Scouts. Think of the rape cases that would happen in THAT scenario.

2014/04/16 19:17:43