Obama elected President. My father is turning over in his grave tonight! What are your ancestors thinking now?

EagleEye 2008/11/05 04:53:15
Pray for my father, I think....
I understand he is not alone, my ancestors are....
I pray America knows what it has done!

• atmer 2008/11/05 17:21:18
    Other (please comment)
    atmer
    +36
    Well birdbrain... I can't say I'm real concerned with your dead, racist father's position while he does his dirt nap. We all have to live together as Americans... or NOT. If YOU and those who agree with YOU decide NOT... then it's us liberals turn to tell YOU to GET OUT! Hahaha! How does THAT feel? We have been hearing that from RATTHUGlicans for years... now it's YOUR turn.

• Juligan 2008/12/08 22:29:12
    Other (please comment)
    Juligan
    My ancestors can't think seeing how they're dead and all but if they could I'm sure they would be proud of our country.
  • Wells 2008/12/08 22:04:36
    Other (please comment)
    Wells
    By 'turning over' you must mean he's now facing the sky and able to be proud of this country again. The large majority, if not all our forefathers had nothing to be proud of with George Duh-bya Bush and those who were bamboozled into voting for him. Yah!
  • Rose for Equal Pay 2008/12/06 16:25:45
    Pray for my father, I think....
    Rose for Equal Pay
    +1
    you and your father have issues. I hope your father made his peace with God before he died.
  • Irish Weatherman 2008/12/05 21:17:26
    Other (please comment)
    Irish Weatherman
    My ancestors are thinking, "I wish someone would get all these worms out of my coffin."
  • emmamess 2008/12/05 05:07:40
  • Gail-Saved "In God I Trust" 2008/11/09 03:59:01
    Other (please comment)
    Gail-Saved "In God I Trust"
    +2
    My family are mostly conservative. The reason they would be turning over in their graves is because we elected a man to the highest office in our country with the least amount of experience. He was pushed to the front because of his color. You can yell all you want about it not being about color but if McCain's experience and Obama's were reversed you all would be pointing to that same lack of experience as a reason for not voting McCain.

I have bi racial grandchildren. I would have loved to say I voted for a bi racial candidate.
  • dianne615 Gail-Sa... 2008/11/09 22:01:59
    dianne615
    +1
    That not true he has as much or more experience the three of our past Presidents: Lincoln , Roosevelt and Clinton and I think they did a damn good job.

Don’t take this wrong because I’m not saying you’re prejudice, but you know the rumormonger bad mouth Kennedy and this reminds be of all the controversy surrounding his fight to the Presidency. Kennedy was the first Irish Catholic President; I remember the African American community was ecstatic because they went out of their way to help vote him into office. Never-the-less almost as soon as he won the whispers of a mob connection started. One rumor was that the mob had helped him get to the White House and the big boys owned him. It was also said that his father starting the Kennedy’s Empire with money from bootlegging, I tell you the anecdote ran for bizarre to outrageous. At the time the African American didn't understand all that anti-Irish, anti-Catholic sentiments; he looked like any other white man to us. I was young and it never occurred to me that white people were prejudice against other white people. But I do know this the African American people loved John F. Kennedy. To this day he is the only President whose picture hangs on my mother’s wall. I remember the day he was killed my mother had to come home from work, ...

Don’t take this wrong because I’m not saying you’re prejudice, but you know the rumormonger bad mouth Kennedy and this reminds be of all the controversy surrounding his fight to the Presidency. Kennedy was the first Irish Catholic President; I remember the African American community was ecstatic because they went out of their way to help vote him into office. Never-the-less almost as soon as he won the whispers of a mob connection started. One rumor was that the mob had helped him get to the White House and the big boys owned him. It was also said that his father starting the Kennedy’s Empire with money from bootlegging, I tell you the anecdote ran for bizarre to outrageous. At the time the African American didn't understand all that anti-Irish, anti-Catholic sentiments; he looked like any other white man to us. I was young and it never occurred to me that white people were prejudice against other white people. But I do know this the African American people loved John F. Kennedy. To this day he is the only President whose picture hangs on my mother’s wall. I remember the day he was killed my mother had to come home from work, she was so upset and she wasn’t the only black adult I saw crying that day. I’ve been voting for over twenty/thirdy years some of my candidates lost some won but the last time I witness this magnitude of bitterness and hatred toward an elected President was Nov 22, 1963.
  • Gail-Sa... dianne615 2008/11/10 23:19:22
    Gail-Saved "In God I Trust"
    +1
    dianne615 I beg to differ with you on the past Presidents as far as having more experience than Obama.

Lincoln was a lawyer and a member of the House of Representatives (2 years) but he also lived it a time when the majority of people did not even have a eighth grade education. There was no threat of nuclear weapons.

FDR was former Governor of NY (3 years), Ass. Secretary of the Navy (7 years) and member of the Senate (2 years).

Clinton was former Governor of Arkansas (9 years)and Attorney General of Arkansas

All three have more experience than Obama. Community organizer and junior Senator who was barely in office before he ran just doesn't qualify as ready to run a nation like the United States for me.

I was in high school when John Kennedy ran for President. The fear was his religion being Roman Catholic and came from a wealthy family that was close to Bishops of the church. The African American community is by majority Democrat.
    A lot of catholic homes also still have the picture of JFK in a place of honor, I know because my husband's grandmother did. I also lived in a mostly catholic neighborhood and it was the one picture I saw most often.
  • dianne615 Gail-Sa... 2008/11/13 22:39:17 (edited)
    dianne615
    +4
    1 Barack put law school and corporate life on hold after college and moved to Chicago in 1988, where he became a community organizer with a church-based group seeking to improve living conditions in poor neighborhoods plagued with crime and high unemployment.

2 He earned his law degree from Harvard in 1991, where he became the first African-American president of Harvard Law revue.

3 After Harvard, he returned to Chicago to practice as a civil rights lawyer and teach constitutional law.

4 He became the third African American since Reconstruction to be elected to the U.S. Senate

5 In the Illinois State Senate, Obama worked with both Democrats and Republicans to help working families get ahead by creating programs like the state Earned Income Tax Credit, which in three years provided over $100 million in tax cuts to families across the state.

6 The first law he help passed was with Republican Tom Coburn, was a measure to rebuild trust in government by allowing every American to go online and see how and where every dime of their tax dollars is spent.

7 He recognizing the terrorist threat posed by weapons of mass destruction, he traveled to Russia with Republican Dick Lugar to begin a new generation of non-proliferation efforts designed to find and secure deadly weapo...

''

'

'

7 He recognizing the terrorist threat posed by weapons of mass destruction, he traveled to Russia with Republican Dick Lugar to begin a new generation of non-proliferation efforts designed to find and secure deadly weapons around the world.

8 Knowing the threat we face to our economy and our security from America's addiction to oil, he's working to bring auto companies, unions, farmers, businesses and politicians of both parties together to promote the greater use of alternative fuels and higher fuel standards in our cars.

9 As a member of the Veterans' Affairs Committee, Senator Obama has fought to help Illinois veterans get the disability pay they were promised, while working to prepare the VA for the return of the thousands of veterans who will need care after Iraq and Afghanistan.

10 Obama is the first African American President

Kennndy Biography

Although he made some friends at Harvard-especially among the few Irish students there-and was popular with young Irish women, Kennedy never was accepted by a majority of the students. Anti-Irish, anti-Catholic sentiment was strong. One friend warned Kennedy to be very careful in his behavior because Boston Brahmins were watching for any sign that would justify their prejudices.

You can look this up on the internet if you like?

I did a quick study of presidential experience (see the results here) and discovered that out of 42 presidents, only 20 had more experience as an elected public official than Obama does now. Only 20 presidents had more experience than Obama as an elected official in Washington, D.C. In terms of his experience, Obama would be a typical president. Yet you won't find anyone in the media reporting on the fact that Obama has more foreign policy experience than four out of the last five presidents.
  • Wells Gail-Sa... 2008/12/08 22:13:14
    Wells
    One experience McCain wants to live down was his involvement in an 'incident' aboard the USS Aircraft Carrier Forrestal. While waiting to take off, his plane was somehow hit by a misfired missle from another jet, setting its tanks afire. Then his plane's live bombs dropped to the deck in the flames. He got out of there quick and as he was passing the fire crew rushing in, the bombs went off, killing them, blowing a hole in the deck, and some 12 hours later left 134 crewmen DEAD and the Forrestal nearly sunk.

Yeah. That's just one of OLD McCain's experiences he doesn't like to talk about.
  • Mikitty☆彡(SHARP) BN-0-WAWU 2008/11/08 19:03:00
    Other (please comment)
    Mikitty☆彡(SHARP) BN-0-WAWU
    lmao u have 44up raves and 44 down raves that's cool
  • deam 2008/11/08 15:28:26
    Other (please comment)
    deam
    You must be racist.
  • EagleEye deam 2008/11/08 17:32:37
    EagleEye
    +1
    ......you must be an idiot!
  • skull 2008/11/08 13:29:41
    Other (please comment)
    skull
    Anything possiable and America from the bottom to the top
  • shawna 2008/11/08 05:55:54
    Other (please comment)
    shawna
    +4
    I THINK THAT THIS IS A GREAT MILE STONE IN AMERICA'S HISTORY " BLACK HISTORY" NOW I FEEL FREE TO EXPRESS MY JOY TO SEE SOMEONE THAT'S EDUCATED, RESPECTFUL, WILLING TO DO THE JOB AT WHICH HE WAS ELECTED TO DO AND IF GIVEN THE PROPER CHANCE, HI WILL PREVAIL AND EXCEL IN WHAT IS BEST FOR THE COUNTRY.
  • dianne615 shawna 2008/11/09 22:22:59
    dianne615
    I can’t think of one thing which was forbidden to an African American and once he/she fought for the right to do it, they failed. The Military (Tuskegee airmen) Education, Medicine, Technology, Sports (Golf/Tennis), and the list goes on and on. We have always had to prove ourselves worthy of something that was freely given to others. I believe Obama will surround himself in brilliants; his cabinet of advisor will probably consist of the very top political minds and he won’t be too proud to lean on that advice when needed. Only a fool thinks they no all the answer but it is a wise man who knows when to ask for help.
  • james 2008/11/08 05:48:11
    james
    +1
    all dead.
    They all died because Obama killed them.
    Him and his damn socialism
  • the dea... james 2008/11/09 02:24:16
    the dead redcoat
    +2
    James i dont understand your post. Please would you elaborate on how Obama killed your ancestors
  • james the dea... 2008/11/09 05:32:22
    james
    he done took a hammer and sickle and then just BAM! dead ancestors
  • the dea... james 2008/11/09 14:24:24
    the dead redcoat
    +2
    ok if you say so. have a nice sunday
  • james the dea... 2008/11/10 04:06:01
    james
    ok, today's the group funeral for my ancestors
  • the dea... james 2008/11/10 04:14:09
    the dead redcoat
    +1
    ancestor worship is important. without them we would not be here
  • james the dea... 2008/11/11 04:40:28
    james
    Are you pondering what I'm pondering?
  • MRS UND... james 2008/11/16 19:00:49
    MRS UNDASTOOD
    +2
    let's have a moment of silence for the 3 IQ points i just lost by reading your posts....
  • james MRS UND... 2008/11/17 04:36:32
    james
    Mrs. Undastood clearly is not pondering what we're pondering.
    Great minds think alike. And she is not thinking alike. She has a horrible mind, then.
  • dragon james 2009/01/01 18:35:48
    dragon
    Come on james Mrs Undastood,couldn't afford those 3 IQ points. Now she has none.
  • Bico 2008/11/08 05:11:03
    Other (please comment)
    Bico
    +1
    I don't think my ancestors would have cared too much. No ancestor of mine that I know of owned slaves. Not even John Adams, my ancestor from the founding of America, owned slaves and believed in racial equality long before it was in vogue. I'm pretty sure those ancestors of mine who are black would be quite please, too, though the pigmentation was pretty much diluted by the time that part of my bloodline got to America, so they wouldn't be too concerned with the whole oppressed black person thing, I don't think...
  • T 2008/11/08 04:20:29
    Other (please comment)
    T
    +4
    It doesn't matter what people in the past may or may not have thought of Obama winning. It should not and does not matter what color of skin a person has. A person should be judged on character, knowledge and direction of where he wants the country to go. Too bad so many republicans are still bigoted and have to play the race card when ever they disagree with someone or something.
  • . . . . T 2008/11/09 08:39:23
  • jobgem 2008/11/08 03:12:12
    Other (please comment)
    jobgem
    +1
    You should have been embarrassed to post this.
  • EagleEye jobgem 2008/11/08 06:24:57
    EagleEye
    +1
    Nice to meet you........if you read my cooments, not just the racists comments you will see the meaning of the poll!
  • jobgem EagleEye 2008/11/08 17:20:45
    jobgem
    +2
    I did. Sorry but it does not change my thought that this is something to be embarrassed about. Just and opinion not a judgement. You are obviously a well evolved person, don't take it personally or as a judgment, only God can judge.
  • EagleEye jobgem 2008/11/08 17:35:33
    EagleEye
    +4
    Understand...that is what Sodahead is about...expressing your opinions...nothing personal taken!
  • Rah 2008/11/08 02:59:35 (edited)
    Other (please comment)
    Rah
    +3
    My father was a contractor born in 1932. He employed an African-American mason as a subcontractor and had him and his family over to our home on Sundays when they came home from church....A republican, he became more and more progressive before he died 13 years ago. I believe he would have been inspired by Barack Obama.....
  • ausetkmt 2008/11/08 01:24:12
    Other (please comment)
    ausetkmt
    +5
    OH Happy Day. We built the damn white house, and finally we get to live in it too.
    Americans ALL, Finally.
  • Jane He... ausetkmt 2008/11/10 15:36:17 (edited)
    Jane Heffelfinger
    "We" did not build the White House, nor do "we" get to live in it; however, I do agree - Happy Day.
  • Adam 2008/11/08 00:14:18
    Other (please comment)
    Adam
    +4
    Some are thinking, "About time" . Some are thinking "I would have preferred McCain, but America is strong". None of them are turning in there graves, because they have faith in America. And they aren't whiners. The past 8 years have sucked. Now were doing something different. If Conservatives are this, "The end is nigh", then Conservatives are a buncha wusses.
  • lilwarden 2008/11/07 23:32:47
    Other (please comment)
    lilwarden
    +4
    I'm sure my father would be in shock that a black man and a woman were running for office BUT he would have voted for Obama rather than for a Repulican. I think my father would be proud of all of his children and grandchildren for voting Democratic. I truly think that President Obama will do a great job.
  • ELROY 2008/11/07 22:03:02
  • Rusty Shackelford 2008/11/07 14:26:35 (edited)
    Other (please comment)
    Rusty Shackelford
    +8
    We shouldn't concern ourselves with what our ancestors think. We are the ones who have to live in the present, it is what we think that matters. Racism is accountable for many dark periods in America's history, but it was not necessarily the individual who was to blame. The society at the time said that racism was acceptable. Now is not then, and now it is the individual to blame for racist beliefs and behavior.

What we have in President-elect Obama is the first minority President, and the first non baby-boomer to hold office in decades. He is not a Feminist, he is not a Civil Rights activist, he is part of the generation that was raised knowing that all people are created equal.

I couldn't care less what some racist dead guy thinks of that.

2014/09/21 12:10:54