Obama Derangement Syndrome: The Wild Attacks On Obama's Trayvon Martin Comments

Foxy Warrior Guru 2012/03/29 07:35:28
It never ceases to amaze how the wingnuts will jump on ANY excuse to attack Obama.
March 28, 2012 12:39 pm ET

Right-wing media have attacked President Obama for his recent comments about shooting victim Trayvon Martin and his family, accusing Obama of "inject[ing]" himself into the debate using "racial code" and claiming that his statement is evidence that "he's got it in for this country."

Obama Expressed Sympathy For Trayvon Martin And His Family

Obama: "If I Had A Son, He'd Look Like Trayvon." In a March 23 appearance to announce Dr. Jim Kim as president of the World Bank, President Obama was asked by a reporter to "comment on the Trayvon Martin case." Obama responded by calling the incident a "tragedy" and saying, "If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon." From the White House:

Q: Mr. President, may I ask you about this current case in Florida, very controversial, allegations of lingering racism within our society -- the so-called do not -- I'm sorry -- Stand Your Ground law and the justice in that? Can you comment on the Trayvon Martin case, sir?

THE PRESIDENT: Well, I'm the head of the executive branch, and the Attorney General reports to me so I've got to be careful about my statements to make sure that we're not impairing any investigation that's taking place right now.

But obviously, this is a tragedy. I can only imagine what these parents are going through. And when I think about this boy, I think about my own kids. And I think every parent in America should be able to understand why it is absolutely imperative that we investigate every aspect of this, and that everybody pulls together -- federal, state and local -- to figure out exactly how this tragedy happened.

So I'm glad that not only is the Justice Department looking into it, I understand now that the governor of the state of Florida has formed a task force to investigate what's taking place. I think all of us have to do some soul searching to figure out how does something like this happen. And that means that examine the laws and the context for what happened, as well as the specifics of the incident.

But my main message is to the parents of Trayvon Martin. If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon. And I think they are right to expect that all of us as Americans are going to take this with the seriousness it deserves, and that we're going to get to the bottom of exactly what happened. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/03/23/remarks...

Right-Wing Media Claim Obama Used "Racial Code" To "Pour Gas On The Fire"

J. Christian Adams: Obama "Injected Himself Into" Martin Case "Using Racial Code." On the March 28 edition of Fox News' Fox & Friends, former Justice Department employee and right-wing activist J. Christian Adams claimed Obama "injected himself" into the case using "racial code." From Fox & Friends:

BRIAN KILMEADE (co-host): Besides Eric Holder, is there a fear of inflaming race relations if you crack down on people who want to inflame race relations like the Black Panther Party.

ADAMS: Well, there's a fear among some, but there's no fear among people like Al Sharpton. He doesn't care about inflaming race --

KILMEADE: He was there in a matter -- in hours.

ADAMS: That's right. And even the president has inserted himself in a racial way saying that Trayvon looks like he might be his --

KILMEADE: You think wrongly?

ADAMS: Absolutely wrongly. No president in our country's history would have injected himself into a criminal matter using racial code like Barack Obama did. http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201203280002

Fox's Ablow Offers "Diagnosis" Of Obama's Comments: "He's Got It In For This Country." On the March 27 edition of Fox Business' Lou Dobbs Tonight, Fox News contributor Dr. Keith Ablow reacted to Obama's comments by claiming, "It's irresistible to this president to enter the fray when there seems to be an opportunity for a kind of furious splitting," and said that his "diagnosis" of the president is, "He's got it in for this country." From Lou Dobbs Tonight:

ABLOW: It is outrageous to me. It's beneath the office to be reaching into one case as opposed to many others. There are tragedies, believe me, I am a forensic psychiatrist. There are enough tragedies to go around that if the president wanted to comment on all of them, that would be his whole job. It's irresistible to this president to enter the fray when there seems to be an opportunity for a kind of furious splitting. How can I make a comment that aligns with those I feel are oppressed, and marginalizes those I feel have been oppressive? And that is a call to the president he can't seem to resist.

ABLOW: It's time, probably -- it's been overdue that we believe the data. Like as a psychiatrist, there is a certain point when you get a diagnosis. You say, "OK, look, absent something that refutes this, this is the diagnosis." A president who hangs around with Reverend Wright, whose wife said she was never proud of this country, has an edge. He's got it in for this country. At moments when there is an opportunity to fracture the unity, he does. http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201203270020

Fox's Dobbs: The Trayvon Martin "Controversy" Was "In Part Created By The President Himself." Earlier on the March 27 Lou Dobbs Tonight, host Lou Dobbs claimed:

DOBBS: As we reported here yesterday, it's highly unusual for the president to comment on shootings publicly, even the hundreds of shooting deaths that have taken place in his hometown of Chicago each year since he took office. They've gone without presidential comment. So why would his campaign suddenly advertise hooded sweatshirts in the middle of a national controversy in part created by the president himself? http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201203270019

Malkin: "Barack Obama Is All Too Willing To Pour Gas On The Fire" Of The Martin Story. In a March 23 post on her blog, conservative commentator Michelle Malkin wrote:

This week, progressives and lib media activists elevated a tragic Florida shooting involving a 17-year-old boy into the cause celebre of the week. Over at my new startup, Twitchy, our editorial team has covered all aspects of the story. But for the past several days, zealous libs on Twitter have demanded that I "say something." Why? Because they've turned the horrible death of Trayvon Martin into a racial litmus test.

And now, Barack Obama is all too willing to pour gas on the fire.

What do Trayvon's race and looks have to do with anything? The political opportunism undercuts the very "seriousness" Obama purports to display. http://michellemalkin.com/2012/03/23/the-trayvon-martin-racia...

Daily Caller Suggests Obama "Jumped Into The Fight" Due In Part To "Demands By The New Black Panthers." In a March 23 post, Daily Caller reporter Matthew Boyle suggested Obama "jumped into the fight" following "demands by the New Black Panthers and others on scene in Sanford, Fla." From The Daily Caller:

Obama and the White House had previously refrained from commenting on the case. Following demands by the New Black Panthers and others on scene in Sanford, Fla. that the White House get involved, Obama jumped into the fight. When first asked about the case, White House spokesman Jay Carney essentially declined comment, offering a boilerplate statement of condolence to Martin's family. http://dailycaller.com/2012/03/23/obama-comments-on-trayvon-m...

Hoft Reacts To Obama's Statement By Claiming Obama Thinks, "It's All About Me!" In a March 23 post on Gateway Pundit, Jim Hoft wrote: "It's all about me! Barack Obama says, 'If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon.' Funny how everything always revolves around planet Obama, huh?" http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/03/obama-weighs-in-on-ra...

Read More: http://mediamatters.org/research/201203280003?lid=...

• Jeremiah 2012/03/29 19:21:20
    Jeremiah
    +25
    They are really stretching on this one, but Fox and the others are dedicated to finding fault with everything Obama does and says. It might be racially motivated, but both Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton got the same kind of treatment.

I can't imagine anyone finding anything to criticize in Obama's remarks about Trayvon Martin, but they do anyway. Obama saying Trayvon might look like his own son adds a personal touch to a tragic situation, and it was true. If he had a son, he could look like Trayvon. What is the problem?

• Jimbo 2012/04/30 23:20:17
    Jimbo
    +2
    Foxnews preys on white fear of blacks. When Rachel Maddow made that fact known, Bill O'Reilly in a NY Post editorial tried to defend Foxnews. Maddow then showed clops of Bill O'Reilly preying on white fear of blacks when Bill suddenly dropped the subject. Trevor Martin comments by Foxnews is much more of the same.
  • Live Free Or Die 2012/04/04 14:52:55 (edited)
    Live Free Or Die
    +2
    Fox News is attacking NBC for not using the whole 911 tape in the Trayvon Martin shooting on one of their shows (and passing if off as if NBC never played the original multiple times before - wow).

But it's fine for Fox to only present this one sound byte from Obama and then outright lie over and over again about the actions of the President of the United States of America in relation to the same case. They are the biggest of hypocrites and liars out of all the news sources combined. Their standards only apply to others. Never to themselves. The President did not inject himself into anything. He was asked a question by a reporter.
  • Wilde~MoonChild ™ 2012/03/30 20:41:28
    Wilde~MoonChild ™
    +6
    Oh I'm so sick of these people....

The president was asked a question and he answered.. He wasn't asked about the ' 2 brits killed by blacks' or any other story Fox and assoc brought up to make the president look like he doesn't like white people. Which is completely asinine since he was raised by whites that happened to have his DNA. I'm not surprised they misunderstood what he was saying. THEY would have to get passed his race to actually hear his words...
  • Golanv (Raven) 2012/03/30 12:47:02
    Golanv (Raven)
    +8
    I see nothing wrong with what President Obama said; it is true. But I see a lot of twisting of his words. I signed the petition started by Trayvon's mother ages ago but not sure now where it is to post the link. Sorry... This is just so wrong.
  • luvguins 2012/03/30 02:27:56
    luvguins
    +9
    i don't even pay attention to anything Fox says anymore as they are all rabid Obama haters with no class. He didn't inject himself as he was asked a question. He was just consoling the family who lost their son, and showing some empathy as any other father would. He wasn't making any judgments.
  • Dave 2012/03/30 02:09:02 (edited)
    Dave
    +8
    You know FOX and the rest of these Right Wingnuts and republicons will dismiss this president no matter what he says or does. They hate him and that's all they feed on - they spin his words into whatever they want. I have never seen such a negative, uglier side of the US citizen until recently.

I really want the Fairness Doctrine back and I want the corporatist media to be held accountable for their reporting. I wish you could sue these bastards - but they disguise themselves as "entertainment". If that's the case, then why do people believe their dribble?
  • ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2012/03/30 00:33:35
    ὤTṻnde΄ӂ
    +9
    I have only one response to the elder Zimmerman. If his son George had been murdered by Trayvon and Pres. Obama had responded with condolences for the Zimmerman family, would elder Zimmerman think that President Obama was expressing HATE then?
  • Spizzzo BN-0 2012/03/29 22:50:54
    Spizzzo BN-0
    +10
    People reacting in any negative way to the comments are revealing how twisted their perceptions are.
  • Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~ 2012/03/29 22:38:26
    Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~
    +10
    A racial code? Ridiculous.

Those folks quoted above need to get a brain, a life and a new outlook.
  • The Black Dagger 2012/03/29 22:33:59
    The Black Dagger
    +1
    Republican Derangement Syndrome: The Wild Attacks On Republican Comments

Your side is not so squeaky clean.
  • Farnsworth 2012/03/29 21:24:30
    Farnsworth
    +2
    Obama responded by calling the incident a "tragedy".......and that is all he needed to say.

Where was his comments about the 2 Brit tourists that were killed by blacks?
    Where was his comments about the mother of 8 who was beaten to death by blacks?
    Where was his comments about the white guy who was beaten by blacks at an Applebee's
    Where was his comments about the white teen who was set on fire with the comment "get what you deserver white boy"

The president is supposed to be neutral and above all that. he could have said let law enforcement do their job and let the justice system work. But no, this man is a divider not a uniter. he is using this case because Fla is a swing state and his comment gives him good press.
    Remember? "never let a good crisis go to waste"....
  • Proggy Farnsworth 2012/03/29 23:14:39 (edited)
    Proggy
    +12
    Let me ask you a few questions in the cases you just named....

Are the culprits of those crimes in jail?

If the culprits haven't been caught do you think when caught the police will let them go because they claim self defense?

Did the police fudge a report protect any of these "Blacks" and not arrest them?

You see most of you people in your obtuse hatred of the President you've ignored the real problem here. The police department performed their duty inadequately and incompetently. The lead investigator wanted Zimmerman charged with manslaughter the night of the crime and was told by the prosecutor to "back off"!

What the President said was heartfelt and great, and the President is supposed to be on the side of JUSTICE and what's RIGHT! If you've been paying attention the justice system in Sanford, FL FAILED and did so miserably!

So far the only thin you'e proved is that if you're Black and commit a crime against Whites or any other race you will go to jail. But the Zimmerman case have proven that if you're of another race and commit a homicide against someone black you can getaway with it.
  • Farnsworth Proggy 2012/03/29 23:52:15
    Farnsworth
    +2
    And what did I say, he could have left the "son" business out of it.

As for the rest, double jeopardy. Charge him with no evidence? Police have acted properly, gather evidence and then go get Zimmerman. Wouldn't that be the best way to go about it?

Yes, those folks were arrested, but no stand your ground law was in effect, so the 2 cases are different.
  • Proggy Farnsworth 2012/03/30 00:44:49
    Proggy
    +10
    He is the President of the United States and more than that he's a parent, and a grown ass man he can say what he want. I think what he said was very compassionate and I would've said the same thing. The only people finding anything wrong with what he said are the usual "Obama haters". He could tell you he likes your haircut and you'd attack him and find something wrong with that.

No evidence? A dead body is no evidence? An UNARMED dead body! Zimmerman had NO INJURIES, but Zimmerman did have a 9mm handgun while Martin had skittles and ice tea. The police discouraged witnesses and didn't take statements of people that contradicted their false report. Zimmerman was told he was NOT needed to follow Martin and he did it anyway. He got out of his vehicle and pursued Martin. If someone is so threatening to you you're going to try to get away from them NOT pursue them. The way the Sanford PD handled this stinks to high heaven and their corruption will be outed along with Zimmerman's conviction. If you think the Sanford PD acted properly I'm glad you're not a cop.

You're damn right the cases you brought up are different because all the cases you're talking about the assailants have been arrested whereas Zimmerman is still walking around free WITH THE MURDER WEAPON over a month later NEVER having been arrested and charged.

Now do you see why this whole thing stinks, and what the outcry for justice is about?
  • Farnsworth Proggy 2012/03/30 00:59:08
    Farnsworth
    +2
    I can see a group of people acting like children. I see a group of people with a mob mentality. I see a group of people that have given Zimmerman and anyone else justification to "stand their ground"

Now, I didn't say no evidence... I said let the police collect the evidence. Your reaction is the perfect example of emotion overloading logic and reason.

"A grown assed man" knows how to react to something with maturity, style and grace. Again, what Obama said up to the son comment was fine. He became a panderer when he elaborated.

You avoided the whole double jeopardy statement....

Does this stink? Damn right. Difference is I am willing to let the law work
  • Proggy Farnsworth 2012/03/30 02:25:10
  • Farnsworth Proggy 2012/03/30 03:16:02
    Farnsworth
    On
    #1. you can't make that call.
    #2. As neighborhood watch, that is what he was supposed to do
    #3. the coon part was garbled, but OK it's noted
    #4. Yes, he should at that point obeyed the 911 person. But is that a violation of the law in anyway.
    #5. I agree, he shouldn't have left his car.
    #6. Disagree. Shot was fired after "help" was yelled. Also another witness said Zimmerman was on the ground and was being punched.
    #7. Long distant shot like that can't show you the back of his head. Looking at the mug shot, no. I don't see a broken nose, scars or bruises.
    THAT is damning evidence.

"it seems that the law is only willing to work for some and NOT for others."
    I can see that, hate crime laws seem to only be applied to cases where whites are the aggressors.

"This man is still walking free over a month later with no arrest and he still have the murder weapon."
    Once again, better the police gather all the evidence first and make a "good" arrest than one demanded by the mob and then end up having to let him go.
    Either way the mob will be unhappy, so it's best to go for the good arrest.

Lets agree to disagree.
  • Proggy Farnsworth 2012/03/30 05:34:00
    Proggy
    +7
    "Lets agree to disagree"

Fair enough.
  • MO.gal Farnsworth 2012/03/30 04:14:42
    MO.gal
    +8
    The law hasn't worked so far or Zimmerman would be in jail.
  • Farnsworth MO.gal 2012/03/30 11:30:46
    Farnsworth
    Not going to engage the same conversation again, see my replies to "proggy" above
  • MO.gal Proggy 2012/03/30 04:12:56
    MO.gal
    +8
    You are absolutely correct! This whole thing stinks, Trayvon has been dead for over a month and his murderer is still free and still has his gun. The police did not do their job, and in my opinion, there was a lot of covering up. My heart aches for his parents and the grief they are going through.
  • Proggy MO.gal 2012/03/30 05:38:01
    Proggy
    +7
    Same here, I truly feel sorrow for his family. Daddy Robert Zimmerman former judge now on TV placing blame and wanting to hold everyone accountable except his son. You're right I smell cover up all the way.
  • ur XLNC... Farnsworth 2012/03/30 02:06:04
    ur XLNC-PWCM
    +2
    They aren't paying attention....and 'Rome' burns!
  • Latti I... ur XLNC... 2012/04/04 13:44:25
  • ur XLNC... Latti I... 2012/04/04 14:03:59
    ur XLNC-PWCM
    +1
    Zimmerman is for sure guilty of something! I wasn't there, but I can say for certain, that if I were a pedestrian that was being followed by somebody in a vehicle, I would give some serious thought to ambushing them, if they got out of their vehicle.

These photos suggest a normal kid around normal people. I have seen people in these circumstances, and have seen the SAME people when their loved ones aren't around. The behavior when family wasn't around hasn't always been acceptable. There is no question about Zimmerman, in my view, being wrong , for both following Trayvon and exiting his vehicle. I wasn't there and I really want a proper investigation. I do NOT want people like Jackson and Sharpton AND Obama exploiting this tragedy for their agendas, and THAT is precisely what they are doing!
  • Latti I... ur XLNC... 2012/04/04 14:09:53
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +3
    "I do NOT want people like Jackson and Sharpton AND Obama exploiting this tragedy for their agendas, and THAT is precisely what they are doing!"

I agree; I also don't want people like this trying to take advantage of this tragedy.

http://www.christandpopcultur...

http://www.addictinginfo.org/...

http://theconservativetreehou...

http://www.mofopolitics.com/2...
  • ur XLNC... Latti I... 2012/04/04 14:23:49
    ur XLNC-PWCM
    +1
    I agree. Too many people that were not present are trying to make Trayvon THEIR poster-boy for THEIR agenda! I can see someone following Trayvon TIL the police arrive to check out the situation. Zimmerman should NOT have exited his vehicle! Zimmerman HAS to answer for something, but I do not know what that would be. The media, as NBC has proven, cannot be relied on to provide accurate reporting.
  • Latti I... ur XLNC... 2012/04/04 14:26:01
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +3
    Yup, but neither the far right media has well; since they created fake accounts, stories and pictures of Tray.
  • ur XLNC... Latti I... 2012/04/04 14:42:06
    ur XLNC-PWCM
    +2
    I'm beginning to think that the only media that reports accurately is NOT American, except for Coast to Coast on late-night talk radio.
  • MO.gal Farnsworth 2012/03/30 04:02:28
    MO.gal
    +7
    It wouldn't matter what the president said, people like you would be critical of his comments.
    Remember, " never let a good chance to condemn the president go to waste "......
  • Farnsworth MO.gal 2012/03/30 11:29:28
    Farnsworth
    that is correct.
    My profile states that in fact. I am very "transparent" when it comes to this so called president.
  • #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT... 2012/03/29 20:43:01
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +13
    Talk about a bunch of low-lifes. The president was asked a question about a prominent news story for which he uses extreme caution in discussing it. BUT the rabid frothers on the "right" pull outlandish claims out of their "nether-parts" to bad-mouth OUR president.

Michele Malkin & her ilk on FOX gossip station can ROT IN HELL! They are GUTTER SNIPES, plain & simple.
  • Sissy #Justic... 2012/03/29 21:51:57
    Sissy
    +13
    Dear o dear. The President surely has been a busy boy getting into all these people's lives out here, hasn't he. First of all he feels sorry for Ms. Fluke for being bashed by potty mouth Limbaugh and then he gets all hiss about an innocent kid getting murdered, mostly because he is black. As if he hasn't enough to do.
  • MO.gal #Justic... 2012/03/30 04:16:46
  • Meako 2012/03/29 20:34:13
    Meako
    +16
    It would not have mattered what the president said. The haters would have found fault in it. The ones on the right had NOTHING to say about Rush Limpballs comment but thought what Obama said was wrong..? whatever they can all bite me....

bite me
  • Proggy Meako 2012/03/29 23:20:36
    Proggy
    +13
    Exactly! All these asshats are bigots, racists, partisans, and hate mongers and as far as they go NOTHING the President does will ever be right. He could cure AIDS and Cancer and these f*cktards will say he's trying to put doctors and pharmaceutical companies out of business. Just think these are the same people that said it was bad that millions of jobs was saved because the President intervened and saved the automobile industry, the same people who found a way for it to be a bad thing that Osama Bin Laden is dead, and it's a bad thing that if you're not rich you can still see a doctor and get insurance if you're sick. I fully agree they all can....

people osama bin laden dead rich doctor insurance sick fully
  • Meako Proggy 2012/03/29 23:27:33
  • lurx: the soda jerk 2012/03/29 20:05:44
    lurx: the soda jerk
    +13
    One thing sure to drive the closeted racists nuts is news stories illustrating our rich and illustrious historical tradition of racism, and the fact that it hasn't gone away. The last time a story like this drove these people so crazy was when a black professor, Henry Louis Gates Jr., was harassed and arrested at his own home.
  • rocat 2012/03/29 19:57:08
    rocat
    +1
    left head/ right head???

party snake says

party snake says...
    love me or else...

all you party followers...
    are on the same team-
    and do not even know it-
  • Proggy rocat 2012/03/29 23:23:54
    Proggy
    +8
    I gather the left head is he one that says regardless of financial and social status you should be able to get treatment if you're sick, and the right one says if you have a pre-existing condition or too poor to afford insurance you're on your own and if you're in a car accident and don't have insurance you should be left to die....

Doesn't sound like they're on the same team at all to me.

2014/04/20 21:03:17