Obama Declares End to Iraq War: Do You Know Any Soldiers Who Will Be Coming Home?

It was a long time coming, but we're finally here. President Barack Obama announced Friday that virtually all remaining U.S. troops currently deployed in Iraq will be coming home at the end of this year -- finally ending the nearly ten-year occupation in Iraq.

"After nearly nine years, America's war in Iraq will be over," Obama said in a press conference Friday. "The coming months will be a season of homecomings. Our troops in Iraq will definitely be home for the holidays."

There are about 40,000 troops in Iraq right now and only 150 of them will have to stay behind to help in arm sales, a U.S. official said to CNN. Everyone else will be out of the country by December 31, just in time for New Years.

In the announcement, Obama stressed that he was keeping a promise he made during the 2008 campaign. The Iraq War has claimed over 4,400 U.S. soldiers' lives since March 2003, when the war started.

Do you know anyone currently in the Iraq War who will be coming home?

• Dan Castro 2011/10/21 19:40:38
    Dan Castro
    +15
    The real question is whether Congress will step up and treat the troops fairly by making sure that jobs are created so these brave heroes don't lose their homes because they don't get a war check anymore!

• Josh Ro... Cal 2011/10/23 14:24:53
  • Marvelo... Cal 2011/10/24 18:54:16
    Marvelous Marvin
    Again I repeat as a Republic and I voted for Obama and as a republican I will vote again for Obama. And to answer your question there is no sense in anything , who gives the A cracp what happens in the Middle East. As long as Americans are not there.
  • Cal Marvelo... 2011/10/24 20:52:10
    Cal
    So why couldn't you say that in the first place without the disrespect??????
  • JeffZill Marvelo... 2011/10/23 14:48:59
    JeffZill
    +2
    the dumbest president agreed with an even dumber president to bring them home this december, it's wasn't his doing alone look it up bush came up with it and obama agreed to carry it out.
  • KoolGuyL JeffZill 2011/10/23 19:40:03
    KoolGuyL
    "The dumbest president agreed with an even dumber president" If he is the dumbest president he can't be talking to a DUMBER president, dummy.
  • JeffZill KoolGuyL 2011/10/23 19:42:50
    JeffZill
    +1
    Other countries laugh at us because of him, the prime minister of the U.K said "sure were in bad shape, but I would trust the U.S's president to take care of my finances".
  • Marty9957 JeffZill 2011/10/23 23:49:12
    Marty9957
    Any other U.S. President but this one.
  • JeffZill Marty9957 2011/10/24 04:53:56
    JeffZill
    He was only refering to obama, he didn't mention anyone else, he says we're headed in the same direction as italy.
  • Marty9957 JeffZill 2011/10/24 06:02:38
    Marty9957
    We are already there. We are just not as far into socialism as Europe is. People say that we are 5 years behind Europe.
  • JeffZill Marty9957 2011/10/25 23:35:48
    JeffZill
    I don't know maybe, but I know the dollar is behind the paso.
  • Marvelo... Marty9957 2011/10/24 18:56:03
    Marvelous Marvin
    +1
    Again I repeat as a Republic and I voted for Obama and as a republican I will vote again for Obama. And to answer your question there is no sense in anything , who gives the A cracp what happens in the Middle East. As long as Americans are not there. Great man great president.
  • Marty9957 Marvelo... 2011/10/24 21:19:00
    Marty9957
    You are no Republican.
  • Marvelo... JeffZill 2011/10/24 18:55:46
    Marvelous Marvin
    Just don't know what to say about a great president do you! I can say for you if he was white he be the greatest president of the world.
  • JeffZill Marvelo... 2011/10/25 23:37:20
    JeffZill
    That sounded a little racist. Where do you get that, just because someone doesn't like him doesn't mean they are racist, I think hermen cain has got some good policies.
  • Marvelo... KoolGuyL 2011/10/24 18:54:53
    Marvelous Marvin
  • Marvelo... JeffZill 2011/10/24 18:54:35
    Marvelous Marvin
  • JeffZill Marvelo... 2011/10/25 23:39:01
    JeffZill
    I bet your not republican at all, your just saying it to make yourself look more innocent.
  • Marvelo... JeffZill 2011/10/31 22:10:24
    Marvelous Marvin
    thxx you for the info something is being done
  • Grayfox... Marvelo... 2011/10/23 14:56:35
    Grayfox1940
    +1
    Greatest President?? Surely you jest, he is the worst ever. He is so pink with his redistributive policies he is ruining the country
  • Marvelo... Grayfox... 2011/10/24 18:56:42
    Marvelous Marvin
    Greatest president in the history of America. Again I repeat as a Republic and I voted for Obama and as a republican I will vote again for Obama. And to answer your question there is no sense in anything , who gives the A cracp what happens in the Middle East. As long as Americans are not there.
  • Jim Marvelo... 2011/10/23 15:15:26
    Jim
    You must be talking about the Bush administration since it was his policies that allowed for this administration to take all the credit. The withdraw of troops had already been established when this administration took office (Source MSNBC.)

And they are not all coming home.

Your meds may need to be increased so you can keep the hallucinations alive.
  • Marvelo... Jim 2011/10/24 18:57:47
    Marvelous Marvin
    President Obama will be considered the greatest president in history of America.
  • Dixienc Marvelo... 2011/10/23 22:16:34
    Dixienc
    Yes GW did a great job of making sure this timeline for withdrawal was in place. So nice to see someone give credit where credit is due.
  • Marvelo... Dixienc 2011/10/24 18:59:29
    Marvelous Marvin
    GW did nothing but look ugly and talks like an idiot. President Obama will be considered the greatest and smartest president in history of American politics
    .Again I repeat as a Republic and I voted for Obama and as a republican I will vote again for Obama. And to answer your question there is no sense in anything , who gives the A cracp what happens in the Middle East. As long as Americans are not there.
  • Marty9957 Marvelo... 2011/10/23 23:50:13
    Marty9957
    What president would that be? Certainly, not this one.
  • Marvelo... Marty9957 2011/10/24 18:59:42
    Marvelous Marvin
  • Marty9957 Marvelo... 2011/10/24 21:58:39
    Marty9957
    He will never be the smartest or the greatest.
    He will never be a George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, JFK, Eisenhower or Reagan.

Obama is nothing more then George Soros' puppet.
    They say that GW was Cheney's puppet.
  • Marty9957 Marvelo... 2011/10/24 22:35:48
    Marty9957
    You need to grow up. The absolute worst after Carter will be this current one. He will be known for being the worst liar, the worst for doing nothing, the worst for getting us in debt, and the worst for circumventing our constitution.

As for Obama being the smartest and the greatest, once history gets done with him, he'll be lucky if he doesn't wind up in jail.Remember, he is young enough so that we are going to have years to dig out his past. Some one will eventually get all that information he's locked down and won't even release it under the FOI Act.

Now on to your voting history and your claim to be a Republican. There's no fool like an old fool I guess but if that what floats your boat, more power to you.

What you need to give a crap about, is if this president or the next winds up having to send the troops back again back again because of the Obama energy policies limiting exploration and development of our own resources. pretty soon they are going to find it more and more difficult to attract volunteers to serve in our military. They might even have to re-instate the draft. You never know. Then everyone will have the opportunity to be patriotic.
  • Jim Marty9957 2011/10/25 01:27:47
    Jim
    +1
    I cannot figure out his comment. I guess I am lost.
  • Marty9957 Jim 2011/10/25 03:23:34
    Marty9957
    It's not you ...I had to use creative thinking to figure out what he was trying to say.
  • Jim Marty9957 2011/10/25 04:04:55
    Jim
    +1
    Thanks. I might need a lesson from you.
  • Marty9957 Cal 2011/10/23 23:54:14
    Marty9957
    That's the only bad thing about the whole situation, the military may have to pay twice for this real estate. Something I would be against and voice my disagreement loudly.
  • tteltac 2011/10/23 08:01:09
    tteltac
    No, my cousin was KIA in Iraq. http://www.yellowribbonsuppor...
  • daylight 2011/10/23 07:36:27 (edited)
    daylight
    +2
    what a shame so many voted a liar into office.
    Hey, look at his record, look at his lies....no more lobbyist, no more special interest etc, etc, etc,......bo's lying list is endless

What a stinking joke on the American people, "you people" who voted for bo have no discernment
  • Jeff daylight 2011/10/23 14:02:24
    Jeff
    Can you help me with all those lies? and back em up with facts?
  • Grayfox... Jeff 2011/10/23 14:57:52
    Grayfox1940
    +2
    It would be easier to verify the truths he has told. They are rare indeed
  • daylight Jeff 2011/10/23 18:46:11
    daylight
    Jeff, come on, you don't remember how he was going to bring change? He sold the American people a lie how he was going to stop the lobbyist and special interest groups. BO is sold out to the unions Trunka meets with bo weekly. Do your home work, I'm not doing it for you. The facts are all out there. I just hope we can undo all the damage bo has done to the country. richard trunka
  • Marvelo... daylight 2011/10/24 19:00:37
    Marvelous Marvin
    +1
  • daylight Marvelo... 2011/10/25 03:07:54 (edited)
    daylight
    President Obama will be considered the greatest and smartest president in history

lol

And to answer your question there is no sense in anything , who gives the A cracp what happens in the Middle East. As long as Americans are not there.

Well your man gives a do do what goes on in the middle east. he has helped set them free into the hands of the brotherhood. Thats your man!!! Yeah!!!! Your mannnnnn you voted him into office. Christians are having to flee the middle east for their lives and your man BBOOOOOOOOOOOO helped in driving them out of the country and many are being killed as I write this, but you wouldn't know this.............. Vote your man again, he could care less about you unless you are union.

Are you union? You give your man money?
  • Jeff daylight 2011/10/26 02:13:14

2014/12/23 03:03:23