Obama Decides To Not Release Osama Death Photo.

Kiki 2011/05/04 17:29:29
Yes!
No!
Did Obama make the right choice?

• Cookielane 2011/05/04 18:14:02
    Yes!
    Cookielane
    +11
    “Imagine how the American people would react if Al Qaeda killed one of our troops or military leaders, and put photos of the body on the Internet,” said Representative Mike Rogers, Republican of Michigan and chairman of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence. “Osama bin Laden is not a trophy. He is dead, and let’s now focus on continuing the fight until Al Qaeda has been eliminated.”

New York Times May 4, 2011

• 2012 rick 2011/05/09 03:12:34
  • thegalnextdoor 2011/05/06 04:39:36
    No!
    thegalnextdoor
    Muslims show the pictures of their victims and the world needs proof that OBL is really dead.
  • Kiki thegaln... 2011/05/06 15:16:48
    Kiki
    +1
    Hmmmm....Seemingly Al-Qeada doesn't need to see Osama's death photo to believe Osama is dead because Al-Qeada has released a statement confirming Osama's death.
    Source

If Al-Qeada has the ability to admit and accept that Osama was killed by the US what does it say about the brain dead morons who don't believe the US killed Osama?

BTW...The US is a noble nation that is suppose to act in a more ethical manner than Radical Muslim terrorists.
  • thegaln... Kiki 2011/05/06 16:06:03
    thegalnextdoor
    +1
    you are so right... we should act better/in a more ethical way than the Radical Muslim terrorists.... I guess my thoughts are coming from a sixth sense that something is not right about the news about OBL's death and thus I stated that we should see the photo. I've read other comments here and see the other side. I can go along with that without being too upset. I just wish I could trust Obama's words and I can't. Maybe that's the reason for thinking I'd like to see the photo... then again, it'd probably be a forgery so what's the point.....
  • Kiki thegaln... 2011/05/06 16:33:29 (edited)
    Kiki
    +2
    I don't believe much of anything Obama or his minions spew. However, as pissed off as the Pakistanis are about an unauthorized black ops kill going down in Pakistan as well as the Pakistanis admitting to having failed intelligence, there's no doubt, the US got Osama.

BTW...A 1000 raves for you being able to see reason. You've made my day. All too often, people on SH have their minds so made up they're incapable of seeing the other view.
  • thegaln... Kiki 2011/05/06 16:40:20
    thegalnextdoor
    +1
    thanks --- being a former teacher I do try to see both sides. Being able to admit you're wrong....well, if I am in error I will admit to such but I need a GOOD reason to do so.... and you gave me a good reason. Raves back at ya!
    Yes!
    +1
    Yea, this probabaly is a good idea I mean for obama.
  • Crystal 2011/05/05 20:35:16 (edited)
    Yes!
    Crystal
    +1
    America is in enough danger, the government doesn't need to add more fuel to the fire. Releasing Osama's death photo is kind of like taunting an anrgy animal. In this case, the angry animal being the very psychotic Al Qaeda group. It is never a good idea to rub it in the faces of psychos who are willing to die in their quest to destroy your Country when you kill their leader.
  • gkirmani 2011/05/05 20:06:51
    Yes!
    gkirmani
    +1
    Well i think they should release the photos only to confirm the truth./else it is another BIG LIE...... BUT anyways america has lost its credibilkty in general.......self praise is not valuable to others.....

Has anyone a plan to address the cause of the Evil or just only firefighting & killing innocents....
  • Kiki gkirmani 2011/05/05 20:15:10
    Kiki
    +1
    It's fairly clear what was the cause of the "Evil." The perversion and literal translation of the Qu'ran is upon which Radical Muslims predicate and attempt to excuse their hatred for everyone who isn't them.
  • EdWhiteSpace 2011/05/05 15:44:11
    No!
    EdWhiteSpace
    +1
    I understand the reasons why those who think we shouldn't feel the way they do, but disagree. Osama wasn't 'just' a terrorist. He wasn't a world leader. He was a mass murdering criminal and those who suffered because of him should have the right to see him dead to help the healing process. Americans at large should have that same right as we all have been affected by that SOB's criminal actions.
  • Kiki EdWhite... 2011/05/05 15:54:07
    Kiki
    +1
    You do realize, countless people who've lost family due to mass murders don't get to see the body of the murderer after they've been executed by the state, right? Why should the US stoop to the level of Radical Muslims and release the death photo of Osama just so to gloat.

There are MILLIONS of Muslims who don't know what to believe about the US. I'd like those Muslims to have another reason to believe the US has more integrity and is a nobler nation than the Radical Muslims and the nations that support terrorism.
  • EdWhite... Kiki 2011/05/05 19:37:16
    EdWhiteSpace
    +1
    It wouldn't be to gloat. It would be to show the public that was put through so much the factual evidence of what happened to the murderer. And, in actuality, most prisons do allow victim's families to see the execution.

I'm not against muslims. Far from it. In war, I'd allow them the right to handle their deceased the way they want as long as we got the same from them. But ObL wasn't a soldier and wasn't a religious leader. He was a mass murderer. And I'd treat him like the garbage he was and not worry about trying to prove anything to anyone but the American people.

Again, I understand the argument against showing it. I simply disagree. This was far too big an issue and it was far too big an attack to be tossed aside. No gloating, but I wouldn't deny Americans, the victims of his attack, the right to see that attacker dead.
  • Kiki EdWhite... 2011/05/05 20:26:49
    Kiki
    +1
    Actually, most states don't allow victim's families to view executions. Currently, only 20 US states permit members of a victim's family to view an execution. Make note, New York isn't one of those states and neither is the federal government among those that permit public viewing of executions.
    Source
  • EdWhite... Kiki 2011/05/05 21:07:01
    EdWhiteSpace
    So 20 out of the 34 states that have the death penalty (a majority) do allow victim's families and the public to watch?
  • Kiki EdWhite... 2011/05/05 21:32:19
    Kiki
    +1
    20 out of 50 isn't most. You also failed to make note that New York nor the federal government permits victim's families from viewing executions.

The killing of Osama was a federal execution and the majority of the victims of 9/11 were murdered in NYC. There is also this other matter, the US has a long standing policy of not publishing the photos of deceased enemy combatants especially for US purposes. The publishing of Uday and Qusay Hussein death photos was at the behest of the interim Iraqi government.
  • EdWhite... Kiki 2011/05/05 22:09:46
    EdWhiteSpace
    If it is truly 20 and only 34 allow executions, 20 out of 34 is 'most'. Even 20 out of 35 if you want to include the fed.

It was not a federal execution as they asked him if he would surrender and he would not. He is a criminal killed in a shoot out with those US agents sent to stop him. We see battle pictures all the time. Our own soldiers, criminals, police who are shot, hostages, by standers, civilians in war, etc. We spend billions to fight terrorism, millions to catch or kill the mass murder ObL, finally catch and kill him, and it becomes a secret and photo of so much importance it becomes restricted? Again, I understand the reasoning as to why it might possibly offend some, I just disagree that it overrides the reasons as to why it should be allowed to be public.

We saw not only the Hussein sons but Sadaam as well. There are many who lost family members of friends on 9-11 and much of the country that saw their country change that day who would like to see the man responsible for that pain, dead. I am sure many muslims would like to as well. And for those that think ObL was a good muslim and deserves to be treated well, I do not care what they think. For those who despise the extremists and understand what he did on 9-11, they will understand why we want to see him dead.
  • Kiki EdWhite... 2011/05/05 22:37:23
    Kiki
    +1
    The Iraqis tried and executed Saddam Hussein and are the ones who released Saddam's hanging photos and video. The US government had no part in releasing the Saddam photos.

If, as you say, Osama was nothing more than a criminal killed in a shoot out, then it would certainly set precedent for a death photo to be released to the public and all the more reason for the federal government not to release Osama's.

Here's the truth about your opinion, it doesn't matter that you want to see a photo of a dead Saddam to satisfy your blood lust. I lost a fiance and soon to be sister-in-law in the south tower. The man who raised my siblings and I after my parents were killed in a car accident, was murdered at the Pentagon. I have no interest in seeing the death photo of Saddam. The people who make the decisions don't agree with your opinion. The people in a position to protect the image/reputation of the US have decided to NOT risk having the US associated with the same behaviour as terrorists and have wisely elected to NOT publish/release Osama's death photo.
  • EdWhite... Kiki 2011/05/06 01:37:01
    EdWhiteSpace
    I appreciate that you do not and have moved on. It is not blood lust. I had that on 9-12 and possibly right up until I heard he was killed. I do not need photos as proof as I believe he is dead and photos can be altered. I simply know that not all feel as you do, believe most do not, and believe we, as Americans, should have that right to see it.
  • Kiki EdWhite... 2011/05/06 02:20:25
    Kiki
    No one has the "right" to act in an inhumane manner. As for your belief the photos will convince those who doubt Osama is dead, you're wrong. There are still people who claim the Moon landing was/is a hoax. A death photo, of Osama, wont convince those who don't believe Osama is dead. If the US was able to fake Osama's death it certainly could produce a irrefutable PhotoShopped death photo of Osama.

Your argument to release Osama's death photo just doesn't hold up.
  • EdWhite... Kiki 2011/05/06 03:59:21
    EdWhiteSpace
    I would say the same thing to you that your argument to not release it does not.

Obama visited today with firefighters and survivors of firefighter's families. One father had a comment that might be helpful in explaining this. He simply said, when asked if this helped with closure, that it didn't. "I didn't get a body to bury. Not even a bone. Its something I know in my head but have had nothing to see to help it sink in. And now I hear the man who killed my son is dead, and I have no body to see once again. Both are gone and its all somehow still surreal as I've never seen any of it."

No one has the right to act in an inhumane manner, you are correct. I think withholding the pics is doing just that. You don't, fine. I would say you are wrong and many victims and Americans in general would agree with me.

I specifically stated photos would prove nothing as they could be doctored so I won't bother debating that point. My statement, which possibly you misread or skipped, stated "I do not need photos as proof as I believe he is dead and photos can be altered." That is not why they should be released. They should be released as the public who suffered because of him has a right to see him if they choose to. Withholding it is akin to telling a rape and murder victim's ...

I specifically stated photos would prove nothing as they could be doctored so I won't bother debating that point. My statement, which possibly you misread or skipped, stated "I do not need photos as proof as I believe he is dead and photos can be altered." That is not why they should be released. They should be released as the public who suffered because of him has a right to see him if they choose to. Withholding it is akin to telling a rape and murder victim's family that the criminal was caught but they could not see him, could not go to the trial, and cannot attend sentencing or see him in prison. That they should see nothing, but move on.

I realize you don't see it that way, but your opinion is not shared by all or more important than those who disagree with it.
  • Kiki EdWhite... 2011/05/06 15:27:07
    Kiki
    That's a father who needs counseling. If watching the towers collapse, knowing his son was amid the disaster. The fact the son isn't coming home doesn't make his son's death real is all the more reason the father needs professional counseling to help it "sink in."

You're barbaric blood lust knows no bounds. I guess you're just fine with terrorists showing photos of people they've killed just so they can prove to the world they've actually killed someone. The US can't be outraged about terrorists publishing the photos of the people they've murdered if the US releases the death photo of Osama. It's called hypocrisy when people criticize the behaviour of other and engage in the same behaviour they've criticized.

No one has the RIGHT to see death photos of ANYONE, especially the general public. New York, where the majority of 9/11 victims were murdered, does not permit victim viewing of an execution neither does the federal government. That's all the more reason the photos shouldn't be released.

The US government isn't a terrorist organization and doesn't publish the death photos of people it's killed.

I'm done trying to explain a simple matter, of dignity, to you. Respond if you will but I'm finished.

Have a great weekend.

Adios!
  • EdWhite... Kiki 2011/05/07 16:20:59
    EdWhiteSpace
    Sorry you feel as you do and have more empathy for the muslims who don't want to see ObL's pics than for your countrymen that do. I guess that makes me have 'barbaric blood', lol, and wanting to see the body of a man that killed 3000 of my countrymen means I have 'no bounds' to you. And the US if far more outraged by what terrorists do to people than any pictures they publish. I wasn't advocating torturing him on live TV, just releasing pics of a body. You equate showing the pics with then being like a terrorist organization? Sad. Its unfortunate you are spinning it and unable to understand what so many of your countrymen want. But it is what it is. Adios.
  • Artist~PWCM~ 2011/05/05 15:00:07
    No!
    Artist~PWCM~
    I'm starting to think none of this happened. I'm not going to take anything away from our brave men and women in uniform but did we kill Osama or was he already dead? I mean come on! We're all adults here, big enough to see the evidence so why not? Because "...we're not that kind of people." Really, Mr. President? What does it say about us that you gave permission to execute this man? If that really happened, let's see the picture.

I'm not going conspiracy theory here, I believe OBL is dead and thank God for that! But why was the body disposed of so quickly? And really, if there was a West Point like training center just a half mile down the road, don't you think they might have heard the attack and investigated? I mean they do have guns and all plus 40 minutes to look into the mess. Yet not a peep out of that bunch, why? You can't honestly tell me there's not one smart phone in that entire town. Al Jezeera would have been all over that! And they certainly are not timid about showing live beheadings on their program.

No, this whole thing is starting to sound more like a political stunt. Were any of you there? I know I wasn't...all I've got is the internet and tv. We're spoonfed whatever proof they (our government) wants to feed us. After that bogus birth certificate last week this is starting to sound suspect.

Something smells in Denmark...sorry, Washington.
  • Kiki Artist~... 2011/05/05 15:55:51
    Kiki
    Okay....You're one of THOSE PEOPLE....If the US government could execute a hoax of such a monumental scale as it would take to pull off pretending to have killed Osama, what makes you think the US lacks the ability to PhotoShop photos of a death photo of Osama?
  • Steve ☮... Kiki 2011/05/06 13:42:33
    Steve ☮ R ☮ P ☮ 2012 ☮
    You think the government can't pull off a hoax? All it takes is the publics unwillingess to accept the truth for them to get away with it. I mean, good lord! They have almost the entire country believing 9/11 was OBL's doing, when there is irrefutable evidence that the entire story they told us about 9/11 was a huge lie!

I don't know Kiber. Your statements on this thread are really coming across as incredibly naive.
  • Kiki Steve ☮... 2011/05/06 15:28:08
    Kiki
    Ohhhhh, you're one of THOSE people...A "Truther." ....I'm done discussing this with you. Adios!
  • Steve ☮... Kiki 2011/05/06 19:47:28 (edited)
    Steve ☮ R ☮ P ☮ 2012 ☮
    Yes, nothing better than complete ignorance, right? God forbid you should honestly listen to the evidence I could direct you to. That would require some actual brainpower, a little bit of time, and some courage to be willing to accept the truth and possibly face the ignorant masses, like I'm facing right now.

I had you as a friend here on Sodahad, Kiber. Maybe it's time to sever that tie since you have proven you have no respect for the opinions of others. Pretty ironic considering Sodahead's tagline.
  • Kiki Steve ☮... 2011/05/06 20:03:02
    Kiki
    Ya, know. I've dealt with half-wits like you who have no problem attempting to disqualify someone merely for not buying into your brand of lunacy. You've never even bothered to put together the pieces that there's OBVIOUSLY a chance I have a VASTLY different perspective than you regarding this matter and US foreign policy.

You don't know what I do for a living but I will guarandamntee you're lame ass that I'm a crap load closer to the FACTS of ANY national/international matter than you'll ever get even if you were to spend 24/7, for the rest of your worthless life, digging around on Google looking for the drivel puked out by other conspiracy theorists who're just as effed up as you.

As for severing our "friendship," please go ahead and do so, since I, several days ago, "unfriended" you because I don't want other SHs to believe I voluntarily associate with a lunatic conspiracy theorist.
  • Steve ☮... Kiki 2011/05/06 19:53:13 (edited)
    Steve ☮ R ☮ P ☮ 2012 ☮
    Oh, and just one more note... your emphasis to discribe me as one of "THOSE people" is pretty telling about what kind of a person YOU are. And I would prefer to be one of THOSE people any day compared to someone who has absolutely no willingess to listen to others before branding them some sort of outcast (in your mind). In my opinion, being ignorant is about the worst thing you can be. At the very least, I can honesly say that I listen to all sides of a story and do my research before I make a judgement. And I go by the facts in making my decision. I don't go by popular opinion like the scared, weak-minded masses out there in this country. Being in the majority of public opinion doesn't mean you are right about anything.
  • Steve ☮ R ☮ P ☮ 2012 ☮ 2011/05/05 14:44:08
    No!
    Steve ☮ R ☮ P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +1
    We have a right to see this "evidence" as much as those in our government do. I don't trust them at all, so this reaks of a cover up. Escpecially considering that the entire 9/11 story is a lie and coverup.

And Obama's statement that releasing the photo could stir up hostilities in the Muslim world, would that be worse that the hostility they already have for us over, oh, I don't know, say 2 ILLEGAL wars of aggression against Muslim countries (and military action in Libya)? The deaths of hundreds of thousands of Iraqi, Afghani, Libyan, and Pakistani civilians at the hands of US bombs (for humanitarian pruposes, mind you)? For making Muslims (in general) the scum of the Earth in the eyes of most people who have no knowledge of the truth about 9/11? And for the "extremist" Muslims, for KILLING OBL and showing ignorant Americans cheering in the streets?

Yeah, showing this picture could really enrage them. Good choice, Mr. President.
  • Kiki Steve ☮... 2011/05/05 15:59:27
    Kiki
    "We" don't have a right to see ANY photos of ANYONE who's been executed by the United States.

Ohhhhh, you're one of those people....You people will never be satisfied. You're the type who would claim ANY photo, of Osama, released by the US government is PhotoShopped.

Why don't you stop and think about the MILLIONS of Muslims who don't know what to believe about the US? Why don't you stop and think that the US is a noble nation and honestly believes the worst of the worst should be treated with respect because WE are a nation of people with INTEGRITY....You do know about integrity, right?
  • EdWhite... Kiki 2011/05/05 19:39:21
    EdWhiteSpace
    +1
    WHile you make a few good points, I'm not concerned about those muslims who are fans of Osama. If they detest him, as they should, they would understand. If they supported him, I don't really think we should care what they think.
  • Kiki EdWhite... 2011/05/05 20:28:35
    Kiki
    I'm not concerned with the "fans of Osama." Those people will always hate the US and do what they can to cause harm to the US and the rest of the western world. I am quite concerned with the reputation of the US being a noble and honourable nation.

I
  • EdWhite... Kiki 2011/05/05 21:09:19
    EdWhiteSpace
    We disagree that showing a picture of a dead mass murder would make us a less noble or honorable nation. Its been fine to show pics of our own dead soldiers, or civilians, in the media throughout this engagement, yet we cannot show the dead enemy?
  • Steve ☮... Kiki 2011/05/06 13:35:45 (edited)
    Steve ☮ R ☮ P ☮ 2012 ☮
    Are you serious? The US is a noble nation? You're obviously one of those people who equates the people of America with the government of the USA. I guess you believe that our govenrment is righteous in their wars in Afghanistan and Iraq? That our government has not passed seriously bad legislation in the wake of 9/11 that has negated many of our rights?

I don't know Kiber. I thought you were one of the enlightened who understood the truth. I guess I was wrong.

And to claim that we don't have a right to view photos that would prove what our government has TOLD us, that's ridiculous. They are supposed to be OUR government, and they work for US. They aren't kings or queens, they aren't our RULERS, they aren't above the law. But I guess you feel confident that they are telling you the truth? Good luck with that.

As for the millions of Muslims who don't know what to believe about the USA, where the hell have they been the last 10 years? With all of these wars, hundreds of thousands of innocent civilian deaths, the bloodlust of the America people not only over this Bin Laden deal, but the ground zero Mosque, how could they not yet know about America? So a photo showing that they killed Bin Laden is going to be the kicker? Releasing that photo is going to make all these Mulsims...

As for the millions of Muslims who don't know what to believe about the USA, where the hell have they been the last 10 years? With all of these wars, hundreds of thousands of innocent civilian deaths, the bloodlust of the America people not only over this Bin Laden deal, but the ground zero Mosque, how could they not yet know about America? So a photo showing that they killed Bin Laden is going to be the kicker? Releasing that photo is going to make all these Mulsims all of a sudden say "Ohhhhhh, I knew it! Those Americans are evil and have no respect for the Muslim people"! Ridiculous!

You need to disassociate the US government from the people of the US, Kiber. We have many good people here whose reputations are being stained by the hideous actions of our govenrment. As I said, you can trust them all you want. I'll do my duty as an American and always question their actions as they pertain to the Constitution. You know, how our founders intended us to, and we've collectively failed miserably at?
  • Kiki Steve ☮... 2011/05/06 15:30:32
    Kiki
    I had no idea you were one of THOSE people who sees a conspiracy around every corner.

Have a great weekend.

Adios!
  • Steve ☮... Kiki 2011/05/06 20:02:35
    Steve ☮ R ☮ P ☮ 2012 ☮
    Dignity is one thing. But there is nothing dignified about the actions of our government over the last 10 years. Ask a family member of any one of the hundreds of thousands of innocent people murdered by our government under the guise of "protecting America from terrorists" about dignity. And yes, it is murder, it's not collateral damage. A single innocent death is not excusible for what our government claims they are doing. Do you think that parent would see our government's actions as dignified? "Hey, my son was just blown to pieces by an American bomb, but it's ok because they were liberating us. Those Americans sure are great!"

I guess when you honestly believe we were attacked by a Muslim madman (even though there is ZERO evidence linking him to the event) you could irrationally see what our government has been doing over the last decade as noble. How, I can't understand, but hey, if it works for you and makes you feel good, go with it. I'll stick with the truth and speak my mind about the crimes of our "leaders". You worry about offending a few people by releasing a picture of a dead guy.
  • Dawn 2011/05/05 14:39:08
    Yes!
    Dawn
    +2
    Kiber -your intro to this - i really respect/like the way you think. i know you are no fan of obama's but you have a greater attachment to your principles and what makes sense to you and you don't waiver based on who is doing it.
  • Kiki Dawn 2011/05/05 16:03:00
    Kiki
    Thank you. I appreciate you realizing, I dislike Obama with the burning fury of a thousand suns, but I will not lose my objectivity when it comes to the importance of the US behaving like the great and noble nation we've always been. Obama, regardless of his reasons, gets points for making the right decision in preserving the integrity of the US and refusing to release the death photo of Osama.

2014/10/23 10:22:45