NYC Cancels Marathon in Wake of Hurricane Sandy: Right Call?

The New York City Marathon was set to take place on Sunday, despite the fact that much of the Tri-State area has yet to recover from the devastation of Hurricane Sandy. Keyword: Was.

After a great deal of criticism, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg opted to cancel Sunday's Marathon. While the Marathon would have brought money to the city, it would also have caused a great deal of inconvenience for drivers, who already have enough of a headache getting around town with uprooted trees, downed power lines, and broken traffic lights.

The New York Post's recent cover photo, which showed generators that could be used for Sandy victims being set up for Marathon runners instead, was most likely the breaking point for people who were already against the event being held. Two prominent New York City sports personalities of WFAN in Craig Carton and Mike Francesa helped bring to light the Marathon controversy on their respective, high-rated radio shows that are also broadcast on television. Some say that even though the Marathon is canceled, it shouldn't have been an issue to begin with.

Others say Mayor Bloomberg and New York City officials took way too long to exercise good judgment and common sense, following never-before-seen damage to the area. This especially true considering the fact that any runners who may have suffered breathing issues could have been in trouble because of lack of resources and overcrowded hospitals.

Much of the city's travel woes have improved since the storm hit early last week, but millions are still without power and in some areas such as Breezy Point and Staten Island, many have lost everything--including their lives. The New York City Marathon is not the only major event postponed. The Brooklyn Nets' home debut at the news Barclays Center was pushed back due to subway flooding.

Read More: http://espn.go.com/new-york/olympics/story/_/id/85...

• AndrewPatton 2012/11/04 03:12:25
    AndrewPatton
    +14
    You don't waste thousands of bottles of water on a marathon when people are in desperate need of potable water.

• afterburn610 2012/11/26 03:54:54
    afterburn610
    it was
  • Margaret Jacobson 2012/11/19 07:07:47
    Margaret Jacobson
    Postpone it ??
  • Pronatalist Pronatalist 2012/11/07 18:54:16
    Pronatalist Pronatalist
    They should also cancel Mayor Dumb-berg's employment, for failing to provide the leadership services for which he has been paid.
  • La 2012/11/07 07:38:25
    La
    Fairly obvious
  • Charles E 2012/11/06 17:04:53
    Charles E
    +1
    Why did they even consider not canceling with so many residents in need of food, shelter or power?
  • Tony Mariotti 2012/11/06 14:33:27
    Tony Mariotti
    Clean up the town, and the race will be there next year. Keep things in perspective, folks.
  • SpongeBob 2012/11/06 06:11:49
    SpongeBob
    I think so
  • Starla 2012/11/06 01:34:04
  • Sue 2012/11/06 01:22:37
    Sue
    It should have been cancelled the day after Sandy hit, not the Friday before the race.
  • moviebuff 2012/11/06 00:14:56
    moviebuff
    +1
    It sucks for the runners, they trained hard for this. But recovery efforts are far more important and is top,top,top priority. honestly I almost forgot that the election is tomorrow. All of a sudden I don't give a hoot about irrelevant topics.
  • Flyingbug 2012/11/05 23:09:15
    Flyingbug
    And kudos to the NY Post for the front cover. That said it all!
  • Ammy 2012/11/05 21:57:47
  • twhiting9275 2012/11/05 20:51:36
    twhiting9275
    If the city officials decided it wasn't safe, then sobeit
  • aguster 2012/11/05 20:24:22
    aguster
    +1
    It would have been great to see that dumbass Bloomberg stick to his guns and show exactly how arrogant and hypocritical he really is!

Clearly the answer is YES, but I would have loved to see the big libs fall on their swords! The mere fact the it took this much to persuade Bloomberg to call it off was simply absurd!
  • ladyjane 2012/11/05 19:08:15
    ladyjane
    +2
    Maybe the people of New York will pick another Mayor next time. He had to be put on the spot before he would cancel the marathon! What kind of a person can put something like that ahead of people that he is suppose to be helping? This is where the old saying follow the money comes into play. He is a first class jerk!
  • Sue ladyjane 2012/11/06 01:25:53
    Sue
    +2
    All he kept talking about was the $300+ million that the marathon brought to the city. I don't think alot of runners would have even tried to come considering the circumstances. I heard that some hotels were throwing out residents who had no place else to go to give the rooms to the runners. Then I heard about a hotel that refused to honor marathon reservations and let the locals stay. Bravo for that hotel!
  • Leslie Goudy 2012/11/05 18:34:54
    Leslie Goudy
    Where would they run at with the streets flooded and strewn with trash and garbage
  • harley oldman 2012/11/05 17:40:42
    harley oldman
    +1
    Well DUH..!
  • Lerro DeHazel 2012/11/05 15:56:16
    Lerro DeHazel
    +1
    Do "They" use the same guy to make a man-on-the-street interview for EVERY Hurricane? . . . In New Orleans, it's "You axe ah me I tolla ya it's da wuttah it's da wuttah." . . . And then some years later in New York; the man-on-the-street tells the reporter; "You axe ah me I tolla ya it's da wutta it's da wuttah." . . . Do Hurricanes cause adults with Cities that have the word New in front of them not-to-know how to speak English, or what? . . .
  • PortaPocketGal 2012/11/05 15:51:49
    PortaPocketGal
    absolutely
  • Amasaman 2012/11/05 15:12:13
    Amasaman
    Thankfully the right decision has been made. Reschedule it for later. Get the generators, food, water, and personnel to the people that are in need.
  • $$*gat*$$ BL39 2012/11/05 14:48:40
    $$*gat*$$ BL39
    +1
    Yes, but the generators, blankets, food, etc sits in Central Park... This is Obamas Katrina
  • Navin Johnson (The Jerk) 2012/11/05 14:34:44
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    that's a no brainer
  • Cn2012 2012/11/05 14:24:28
    Cn2012
    +1
    The city's energy should focus on clean up. The marathon can always be rescheduled.
  • Gwen 2012/11/05 13:54:50
    Gwen
    +1
    Right call.....better late than never....after Sandy tho....NEVER should have been considered....New York however got yet another taste of Mayor Bloomberg's decision making abilities....
  • Professor Wizard 2012/11/05 13:48:55
    Professor Wizard
    This close to the hit.. yes... If it were even as much as 1 week away, they could have dont it.. but not this close.
  • BigEyedFish 2012/11/05 12:22:41
    BigEyedFish
    I just got my power back after 7 days. Many haven't yet. People have died all around us and with the cold temps last night and the days to come (except a good stint this weekend before we get hit again on Wednesday) there will be more body bags from frozen, sick, hungry, dehydrated, frustrated, scared and heart-broken people.
    God Bless them all who are still going through this.
    God Bless those who've lost loved ones through this horrible time.
    God Bless those who've lost everything they own and emergency officials STILL have no idea where to put them.
    God Bless those who've traveled across the country to help us. Thank you from the bottom of my heart to their families. My husband's on a 7 day,15 hour on shift schedule since before the storm and it will be months before he's home again. He builds houses on Long Beach Island and is now on FEMA's list so he can go in and prevent more damage by houses precariously hanging on a thread. It's heart-breaking from every angle.
    The only help we received was from neighbors who got their power back and brought us a hot meal when they got power to do so. I am used to losing power bc we live in the wood and a good wind or an accident even if miles away knocks us off the grid but this was intense.
    We got a visit from Obama to take away ...

We got a visit from Obama to take away our police forces and other resources and nothing...NOTHING came from it! A photo......that's it. No blankets, water and ice, nothing.....
    My daughter works on the base nearby... FEMA arrived Friday...the working FEMA, not the officials that stood behind Christie in the press conferences. Friday. The storm hit Sunday night *smh*
    WE ARE NEW JERSEY...we can handle anything BUT we pay the highest property taxes in the nation and still have high sales tax on top of it for everything but certain foods....what in the world are we paying for?

Anyway...I'm glad to be back and alive.
    There is a power to prayer or good thoughts toward people and I thank all who did.
  • Chris Green 2012/11/05 11:51:27
    Chris Green
    +1
    Good call. More important issues at hand right now and a sporting event cannot take prority over the well-being of people that need help
  • Gothic Kitty 2012/11/05 07:28:49
    Gothic Kitty
    +1
    There's standing water and debris everywhere!
  • Rick 2012/11/05 06:45:56
    Rick
    +1
    Running through the debris and dead bodies would have been crazy.
  • strawberry 2012/11/05 06:40:58
    strawberry
    +2
    I'm amazed N.Y. was going to go on with this Marathon in the first place.
  • katywon 2012/11/05 05:01:17
    katywon
    +1
    I was looking forward to watching it but did not seem right because there are a lot of people who have been affected and need help one way or the other. Just seemed wrong to continue so soon.
  • Resp 2012/11/05 04:44:03
    Resp
    +2
    Resources and personnel had to focus on the Hurricane tragedy. No time to celebrate!
  • Megan Hudson 2012/11/05 04:35:39
    Megan Hudson
    +1
    It was just too confusing and people would have complained.
  • Nyretiree 2012/11/05 04:22:55
    Nyretiree
    +2
    But if you listen to the officials very little is mentioned of the dissent amoung the citizens of New York.
  • SIMPATTYCO 2012/11/05 04:16:34
    SIMPATTYCO
    +2
    I can't believe a Mayor would be that dumb or insensitive.
  • ehrhornp 2012/11/05 03:01:15
    ehrhornp
    +2
    They are there, I am sure they know what they are doing. Found it a little strange that a 26.2 mile course could be ready in that short time period.
  • xraytech08 2012/11/05 02:25:17
    xraytech08
    +1
    The decision should have been made much sooner. I understand the dedication of the runners and all that they put in it, but it seems to me a little heartless to want to run, starting in Staten Island, where so much devastation took place. Like having a triathlon in the middle of Katrina.
  • C. C. Rider 2012/11/05 00:41:33
    C. C. Rider
    +4
    Look, I get they want to get back to normal but they are no where near that yet. The marathon was a bad decision and glad to see it was reversed. If I was in that marathon I still would have never shown up for it and cut the citizens of any support that was there for them. cartoons ny marathon
  • Thomas G Towns 2012/11/05 00:36:30
    Thomas G Towns
    +2
    Oh excuse me could you move those body bags while I run through

2014/10/23 14:37:55