Nun At Democratic Convention Redefines What It Means To Be Pro-Life.

luvguins 2012/09/07 17:23:51
By Jessica Pieklo:

The second night of the Democratic National Convention came with plenty of star power. After all, the Democrats had consumer advocate and US Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren as the opening act for former president Bill Clinton. But it was Sister Simone Campbell, executive director of the Roman Catholic Social Justice Organization NETWORK that may have stole the show.

In a simple but effective speech Sister Simone was able to take back the right’s dominance of the mantle “pro-life” by systematically destroying the Romney-Ryan budget plan.

Paul Ryan claims his budget reflects the principles of our shared Catholic faith. But the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops stated that the Ryan budget failed a basic moral test, because it would harm families living in poverty.

We agree with our bishops, and that’s why we went on the road: to stand with struggling families and to lift up our Catholic sisters who serve them. Their work to alleviate suffering would be seriously harmed by the Romney-Ryan budget, and that is wrong.

Sister Simone conceding agreement with the Bishops is an important marker since her group, and her sisters, have been the target of Vatican ire for their refusal to advocate against gay marriage and family planning access, instead focusing on feeding the poor and housing the homeless.

I am my sister’s keeper. I am my brother’s keeper. While we were in Toledo, I met 10-year-old twins Matt and Mark, who had gotten into trouble at school for fighting. Sister Virginia and the staff at the Padua Center took them in when they were suspended and discovered on a home visit that these 10-year-olds were trying to care for their bedridden mother who has MS and diabetes.

They were her only caregivers. The sisters got her medical help and are giving the boys some stability. Now the boys are free to claim much of the childhood they were losing. Clearly, we all share responsibility for the Matts and Marks in our nation.

In Milwaukee, I met Billy and his wife and two boys at St. Benedict’s dining room. Billy’s work hours were cut back in the recession. Billy is taking responsibility for himself and his family, but right now without food stamps, he and his wife could not put food on their family table.

We all share responsibility for creating an economy where parents with jobs earn enough to take care of their families. In order to cut taxes for the very wealthy, the Romney-Ryan budget would make it even tougher for hard-working Americans like Billy to feed their families. Paul Ryan says this budget is in keeping with the values of our shared faith. I simply disagree.

Sister Simone then explained what a pro-life platform should look like and should embrace.

In Cincinnati, I met Jini, who had just come from her sister’s memorial service. When Jini’s sister Margaret lost her job, she lost her health insurance. She developed cancer and had no access to diagnosis or treatment. She died unnecessarily. That is tragic. And it is wrong.

The Affordable Care Act will cover people like Margaret. We all share responsibility to ensure that this vital health care reform law is properly implemented and that all governors expand Medicaid coverage so no more Margarets die from lack of care. This is part of my pro-life stance and the right thing to do.

Simone’s presence was an important one for Democrats. To begin with, it proves that the right does not hold a monopoly on faith and religion and that their protests about the Democratic platform not including “God” was nothing more than more optics and cynicism. It also shows that while Democrats certainly have more room to go when addressing structural economic inequality and deep poverty, they are listening and have not entirely abandoned the poor. And finally, in a convention largely dominated by abortion politics Sister Simone laid waste to the idea that the Republican party is the pro-life party and painted, in pretty stark contrast, that they are in fact the pro-forced birth party.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/with-sister-simone-democrats-take...

• Rebel Yell 2012/09/07 17:53:16
    Rebel Yell
    +7
    ..."They were her only caregivers. The sisters got her medical help and are giving the boys some stability. Now the boys are free to claim much of the childhood they were losing. Clearly, we all share responsibility for the Matts and Marks in our nation."

The Republicans don't give a flying fig about the Marks and Matts. Look no further than Paul Ryan whose Path to Prosperity budget would give massive tax breaks to the wealthy while forcing those on Medicaid, food stamps, and other social service programs to absorb a stunning 60% of his spending cuts. He will turn Medicare into a voucher program that puts seniors at the mercy of the big insurers. He will also bring back the Donut Hole.

Look no further than Mitt Romney and Barack Obama; both surveyed the damage done by Issac. People had waist high water in their homes along with wildlife that was displaced and no shelter. Romney flatly said he hoped charities would help soon. Obama took one look, turned to the official with him and said, " Get me a state contact number ( ASAP Relief).
    Paul Ryan also wants to cut the disaster relief fund by one billion.

• findthelight2000 2012/09/10 00:07:33
    findthelight2000
    +3
    Hurray for Sister Simone! She did great voicing the fact that the Republican party is not pro-life, but pro-forced-birth. Well done, Sister.
  • Dan der Mensch 2012/09/08 05:14:49
    Dan der Mensch
    I'm so tired of all these "stories" the politicians or their sycophants relay all the time. Half of them are complete fabricated non-sense. This lady (and her group of sisters) are just another example of how the catholic church is imploding. They don't really care about the word of God anymore, just doing good deeds. Pretty soon that won't even register with them.
  • JCD aka... Dan der... 2012/09/17 08:05:56
    JCD aka "biz"
    +1
    "Just doing goog deeds" is exactly what I love about them.
  • Dan der... JCD aka... 2012/09/18 02:24:42
    Dan der Mensch
    Doing good deeds is fine - it's the "just" part that I take issue with. They've watered down their own religion so much, that it's become just another "golden rule" on a quaint little picture in someone's living room.
  • JCD aka... Dan der... 2012/09/18 08:34:58
    JCD aka "biz"
    I understand.
  • Tarheel 2012/09/08 03:43:10
    Tarheel
    +3
    Excellent article. I watched so much of the DNC, I'm sorry that I didn't see her speech. I'm not surprised though, because much of what she said is the reason that I am a democrat and not a republican.
  • Todd The Libertarian 2012/09/08 03:08:20
    Todd The Libertarian
    Rape n molestation?I am not that evil
  • kitkat42 2012/09/07 23:32:53
    kitkat42
    +6
    My opinion is that the Right is only pro life for a fetus. I haven't seen much evidence that it goes beyond birth. After the child is born, they must go out and survive on their own!
  • Tarheel kitkat42 2012/09/08 03:44:56
    Tarheel
    +4
    I was just thinking that same thing. That it's a shame that they don't care about helping children after they're born.
  • Dan der... Tarheel 2012/09/08 05:09:58
    Dan der Mensch
    That's the job of the parents.
  • Tarheel Dan der... 2012/09/08 05:13:50
    Tarheel
    +2
    Really? If they are poor and their parents aren't able to provide for them? That was kind of her point.
  • Dan der... Tarheel 2012/09/08 05:20:53
    Dan der Mensch
    Then they should go to their family members or to their church for help. You don't force other people to support your moral agenda via taxes.

No, her point was to increase taxes on the rich to pay for her social welfare programs. She also likes to twist the meaning of pro-life to suggest support for Obamacare.
  • Tarheel Dan der... 2012/09/08 05:28:44
    Tarheel
    +2
    Again, I agree with her. She is not twisting "pro-life" she's saying that she is for people having a life that is better than possibly it would be without any help. Why don't you have a problem with the top 2% paying less in taxes? That's not okay but let a child go to bed hungry and that's fine.
  • Dan der... Tarheel 2012/09/08 05:43:35
    Dan der Mensch
    Yeah I know that's what she's saying, but pro-life has nothing to do with improving someone's quality of life via government hand-outs. It means you're against abortion - and everyone knows that. Should pro-choice now mean you're in favor of choosing your favorite sleep number bed?

I'm against taxing even the top 1% any more than everyone else because it's simply not fair. The bottom 40% actually MAKE money every tax season, they don't pay a dime - thus they have no skin in the game. When that happens, then it's just a vicious cycle that they want to see continued. They'll never get tired of taking from others. We don't have an obligation to financially support one another.
  • Tarheel Dan der... 2012/09/08 06:08:18
    Tarheel
    +2
    The word "pro-life" means, literally "for or forward life". Of course, pro-life is used as in for life (against abortion), but if you are really "for life" there are many who don't have much of a life. Are they not entitled to have compassion and help? We'll just disagree. I have taxes taken out of my check and have for about 30 years and I have no bitterness because of it. We may not have an obligation (although, I think it is commanded in the bible) but it is the right thing to do.
  • Dan der... Tarheel 2012/09/08 06:22:03
    Dan der Mensch
    Pro-life is a political movement, so parsing the exact english meaning of the words seems ridiculous.

No, they are not "entitled" to compassion and help. That's not to say that if they came up to me (or to a church) they wouldn't find help, because they would. But the entitlement piece is really what's wrong with all of this.

That's good that you're ok with the taxes you've paid - I can respect that. Not everyone is ok with it though, that's why you can't legislate charity.

True - compassion to our fellow man is in the Bible, but that's a religious matter, not a government one. Remember the separation between Church and State.

That's fine, we can disagree. It's late and my eyes are starting to hurt. : )
  • Tarheel Dan der... 2012/09/08 06:48:08
    Tarheel
    +2
    Good nite. If you feel good about children going to bed hungry, well I don't know what to tell you. I work with kids and I've seen those that are hungry and don't have decent clothes to wear. It's really sad and heartbreaking. Anyway, have a good evening.
  • luvguins Dan der... 2012/09/08 13:39:06
    luvguins
    +1
    Churches cannot provide for the 1 in 6 or 16 million children that go hungry in this country daily. That is a right wing delusion.
  • Dan der... luvguins 2012/09/10 14:57:14
    Dan der Mensch
    But the government can, eh? Well why are there still hungry kids in this country then - because the top earners are already being taxed more than they should and yet, according to you, there are still 16 million hungry kids.

How hungry are they btw? I haven't seen a report of 16 million kids dying from starvation around here. I have, on the other hand, seen true poverty (Indonesia, Phillipines, Thailand) and I can safely say that we do NOT have that level of poverty here.
  • CAROLYN NTARWNJBS 2012/09/07 22:17:21
    CAROLYN NTARWNJBS
    +4
    I was brought up the same way,"I am my sister's keeper" It was a great speech and worth repeating. Thanks!
  • mich52 2012/09/07 21:51:52
  • Tarheel mich52 2012/09/08 03:45:47
    Tarheel
    +1
    I'm sure someone will post exactly what is wrong with this crazy "sect."
  • Tarheel mich52 2012/09/08 03:47:17
    Tarheel
    +1
    I'm posting this after my last post to you. You only have to go down a few posts to see how someone has discredited her.
  • scbluesman13 2012/09/07 21:33:33 (edited)
    scbluesman13
    +5
    You can see the video here:

It's a very positive and caring speech, and while I am not a fan of organized religion, I definitely acknowledge and appreciate when people gather together and fight for a good cause - like helping the poor and the struggling of this country.
  • santa6642 2012/09/07 21:00:57 (edited)
    santa6642
    Good for her, she believes in the death penalty.
  • rightside 2012/09/07 20:35:48
    rightside
    Sadly, I haven't talked with any nuns that agree that abortion is wrong.
  • Jeremiah 2012/09/07 20:15:15
    Jeremiah
    +4
    I missed her speech, but I fully agree with her sentiments. Today's GOP, as exemplified by Paul Ryan, stands for everything that is wrong with today's society, and here is one nun who represents everything that is right.

Thanks for a great blog.
  • trentinafur 2012/09/07 19:12:39 (edited)
    trentinafur
    +6
    Sister Simone took Ryan out to the woodshed - and took a moral switch to his backside(figuratively speaking of course).

Oh, the hypocrisy of the right....

Ryan hypocrisy
  • whitewulf--the unruly mobster 2012/09/07 19:03:37
  • luvguins whitewu... 2012/09/07 19:41:19
    luvguins
    +4
    Wrong. She stands against Ryan's budget. Your reading comprehension is faulty.
  • whitewu... luvguins 2012/09/07 20:06:04
  • luvguins whitewu... 2012/09/07 20:08:26
    luvguins
    +3
    Paul Ryan is making a deal with the devil.
  • mich52 luvguins 2012/09/07 21:56:52
  • JCD aka "biz" 2012/09/07 18:54:32
    JCD aka "biz"
    +2
    NETWORK is a GREAT organization.
  • Aqua Surf BTO-t-BCRA-F 2012/09/07 18:24:34
    Aqua Surf BTO-t-BCRA-F
    +2
    If Maobama thought to use this nun to win back the Papist vote, he miscalculated. He's blown it.
  • luvguins Aqua Su... 2012/09/07 18:36:51
    luvguins
    +4
    No, Paul Ryan has blown it with the nuns and the bishops.
  • wtf 2012/09/07 17:56:10
    wtf
    Once again you heard the words but did not listen to or understand the message.
  • FAWKES' NOOSE ~ ΔTX 2012/09/07 17:55:20
    FAWKES' NOOSE ~ ΔTX
    +2
    A NUN??? LMFAO!!!!! Ohhhh YEAH.. She's got PLENTY of experience in the Pro-Choice arena, huh?

pennywise gif
  • luvguins FAWKES'... 2012/09/07 17:58:05
    luvguins
    +9
    Her take on pro-life wasn't about abortion but about dignified life for our poorest and disabled.
  • whitewu... luvguins 2012/09/07 20:06:59

2014/08/28 05:24:22