Now Poor People Will Have Access To The Same Health Care That Republican Senators and Congressmen Have. Sound Fair ?

Che Guevara - Hero 2012/06/28 21:10:10
YES, Poor People Deserve Affordable Health Care
NO, Poor People DO NOT Deserve Affordable Health Care

Supreme Court upholds Obamacare 5-4

President Obama touted the benefits of the law he championed as he reacted to the Supreme Court's ruling.

"By this August, nearly 13 million of you will receive a rebate from your insurance company because it spent too much on things like administration and CEO bonuses and not enough on your healthcare,” Obama said.

Other benefits include lower drug costs for seniors as well as denying insurers the option to deny coverage because of pre-existing conditions. It also provides free preventative care in certain cases and issues credits to those who can’t afford their health insurance premiums.

The president said he respects concerns about the bill and he understands that people are worried that it was politically driven, but he said it should be clear by now he didn’t push for the act because it was “good politics."

“I did it because I believed it was good for the American people,” he said.

[twitter https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/218378521335181312]

President Barack Obama on Thursday called the Supreme Court's decision upholding his signature health care law "a victory for people all over this country whose lives will be more secure because of this law."

"They’ve reaffirmed a fundamental principle, that here in America, the wealthiest nation on Earth, no illness or accident should lead to any family’s financial ruin,” Obama said.

Read More: http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/28/how-will-supr...

• #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT... 2012/06/28 21:18:18
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +17
    BLESS GOD, poor people deserve affordable health care & so does the middle-class who have seen their premiums increase for decades while their benefits decreased. It's a great day to be an AMERICAN!

• Just me ♥ 2012/07/01 03:39:08
    Just me ♥
    It's NOT the same healthcare as senators & congressman have....that's ridiculous to even think that. There are numerous middleclass Americans who can't really afford health insurance, but still buy it. For them, it means going without luxuries that I see people on the govt's dime possessing. As an ER nurse, I can't tell you how many medicaid patients I have seen over the years using the ER as a revolving door for trivial things like hangnails, blisters, and the common cold...you know, things that people with private insurance would NEVER dream of going to the ER for. What really gets me are the people on medicaid who are diabetic and come in b/c they have a foot ulcer that's not healing (a serious matter), but yet they have a bottle of Coke in one hand and a candy bar in the other!! Or the ones who have lung cancer but continue to smoke 1-2 packs per day. And why? Because alot of patients on medicaid don't give a rat's ass whose money they are wasting as long as it is not coming out of their pocket. It's no wonder that the price of healthcare is so freaking high for the rest of the people who have private insurance. If so many of these type of people weren't wasting medicaid dollars, more people (who actually need it) could have it and hopefully, use it responsibly. I...
    It's NOT the same healthcare as senators & congressman have....that's ridiculous to even think that. There are numerous middleclass Americans who can't really afford health insurance, but still buy it. For them, it means going without luxuries that I see people on the govt's dime possessing. As an ER nurse, I can't tell you how many medicaid patients I have seen over the years using the ER as a revolving door for trivial things like hangnails, blisters, and the common cold...you know, things that people with private insurance would NEVER dream of going to the ER for. What really gets me are the people on medicaid who are diabetic and come in b/c they have a foot ulcer that's not healing (a serious matter), but yet they have a bottle of Coke in one hand and a candy bar in the other!! Or the ones who have lung cancer but continue to smoke 1-2 packs per day. And why? Because alot of patients on medicaid don't give a rat's ass whose money they are wasting as long as it is not coming out of their pocket. It's no wonder that the price of healthcare is so freaking high for the rest of the people who have private insurance. If so many of these type of people weren't wasting medicaid dollars, more people (who actually need it) could have it and hopefully, use it responsibly. I work 2 FULL time jobs as a nurse and last year, my medical bills were MORE than my YEARLY income. Thank GOD I have insurance, but the sad thing is, I have to work the 2 jobs to be able to afford it. What's really sad is I know a lot of chidren on medicaid that can't get medical supplies that they need b/c the medicaid system is too taxed (so they say) to purchase the items when needed.
  • Matt 2012/06/30 13:29:41
    Matt
    If you believe that poor people will now have access to the same healthcare that Republican Senators and Congressmen have, save me a drag on whatever you are smoking.
    Cadillac health insurance
  • melly~thwarting Satan since... 2012/06/30 11:46:48
    melly~thwarting Satan since 1971
    +4
    Nowhere near as good, alas. But it's a start.
  • Pronatalist Pronatalist 2012/06/30 03:09:36
    Pronatalist Pronatalist
    +1
    It's not the same plan. Do you really think that Senators and Congressmen face ObamaCare rationing?
  • melly~t... Pronata... 2012/06/30 11:49:15
    melly~thwarting Satan since 1971
    +6
    Rationing??? Drama Queen.
    laughing at you gif

This guy thinks poor people don't deserve health care, but he wants young girls to get pregnant. No health care for her or her baby, but they should get pregnant--the younger, the better.
  • Angi 2012/06/29 19:06:45
    Angi
    +4
    Health care should be available to everyone it should not depend on whether you can afford it.
    +1
    'Scuse me, but no one will ever have th same Healthcare Congress m the President and all the families of the "Hill Workers"...... It is not for the common American. You got that STUPID???? Now go do something about it...............
  • Wilde~M... jackola... 2012/06/29 18:37:42
    Wilde~MoonChild ™
    +1
    Apparently you don't understand his point....
  • RED DAWN Wilde~M... 2012/06/29 19:25:29
    RED DAWN
    What was his point?
  • Wilde~M... RED DAWN 2012/06/29 19:37:14
    Wilde~MoonChild ™
    +3
    They'll have healthcare.... Healthcare house republicans want to deny americans.
  • flrdsgns Wilde~M... 2012/07/12 02:25:20
    flrdsgns
    He rarely understands any point.
  • I am the Don Dada 2012/06/29 16:07:32
    I am the Don Dada
    +2
    But it won't be the same. It'll most likely be set up like car insurance. Health insurers still win. Now they have a bigger pool of people to rip off and provide basic plans all they way up to full coverage.
  • mk, Smartass Oracle 2012/06/29 15:06:56
  • Not Ein... mk, Sma... 2012/07/01 18:52:02
    Not Einstein
    +1
    Not at all. Those without coverage would participate in a Health Care Exchange.
  • mk, Sma... Not Ein... 2012/07/02 17:40:47
  • Not Ein... mk, Sma... 2012/07/03 02:57:40
  • mk, Sma... Not Ein... 2012/07/03 11:23:45
  • Not Ein... mk, Sma... 2012/07/25 03:12:54
    Not Einstein
    +1
    Really. So the Center for Health Care Research and Transformation, which is a non-profit partnership between the University of Michigan and Blue Cross Blue Shield of MI are a democratically run college and democratically run Health Insurance provider? Very interesting. Can you tell me where you found that information?

Did you come to that conclusion because their goal is to expand access to health care? Because they strive to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the health care system? Or because they are "committed to informing and educating the public through a range of events and reports relevant to policy makers and the public at large".

Their purpose is to improve the health of this nation, to all Americans, and yes, achieve universal access to health care.

I guess they believe even those who cannot afford health care deserve to be treated like human beings when ill health befalls them.

I suggest you take a look at their website. You may become more informed about who and what they are.
  • mk, Sma... Not Ein... 2012/07/25 07:40:15
  • NarcolepticGoat 2012/06/29 12:42:52
    NarcolepticGoat
    +2
    Of course people deserve affordable health care, even more those who work two jobs to make ends meet
  • Brad # 2486547 2012/06/29 11:55:42
    Brad # 2486547
    +2
    The problem is that poor people will still not pay for healthcare. People who don't have jobs or very low income will still not buy insurance. This healthcare law provides more tax payer money to the poor to give them free health insurance. It means higher taxes and premiums for the middle class. This healthcare bill is a hand out to the poor. That is the only reason why the democrats wanted it. It is another nail in America's coffin, another step towards socialism. The problems Europe has now will come sooner than later to America. Overall, a sad day for America.
  • I am th... Brad # ... 2012/06/29 16:22:26
    I am the Don Dada
    +4
    It's really easy to talk about not handing anything out to the poor when you've never been poor yourself. It's not about a handout its about helping out. You'll have people that treat it for what it should be and others that try to take advantage of it.

Here's the problem I have with the Republican stance on healthcare. The argument I hear basically says "if you don't have enough money, you're screwed and its your fault". With an unemployment rate of 8%+ that means that a lot of people that are sick should just stay home and die or face medical bills they can't afford. If it wasn't for "socialism" people in Spain with 22% unemployment would really have a mess on their hands, I'm sure their system isn't perfect but I'm also sure that if someone gets sick, they are able to get the medical attention they need.

What happened to the concept of improving yourself as an individual but helping your fellow man if its needed? Aren't most Republican's religious? Should their belief system conflict with their view of the world politically?

There's a say that goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Well guess what, the system is broken and has been for years.

If there is a better solution, I'd love to hear it, but I've been waiting for 2 years and haven't heard one from Congress. ...

If there is a better solution, I'd love to hear it, but I've been waiting for 2 years and haven't heard one from Congress. Can you explain to me how Republicans plan to solve the healthcare issue? I genuinely would like to hear their solution. Or at least give me a website to reference so I can be unbiased in my opinion.

Great analysis by the way, I hope you take my comments as they were intended...just making great conversation.
  • Brad # ... I am th... 2012/06/30 12:51:30 (edited)
    Brad # 2486547
    I know what I said was a bit harsh. I am thinking it more as a hand out to people who are unwilling to work. The ones that have 4 or 5 children with 4 different fathers..these are the people that upset me. I know that there are genuine poor people out there and they need help..but for how long? I believe that people down on their luck should be helped out for awhile, but not for years. I am a Christian and I do give to the poor, but that's my choice. I have never really believed that the government should force us to give to the poor through taxes. If you keep on giving things for free to the poor, then they become more and more dependent on the government and, in my opinion, lazier. Why work hard if the government gives you free healthcare, food, money, housing and daycare. If I have seen a lot of abuse of the entitlement programs in my life, perhaps that is why I have become so jaded when it comes to "free stuff" If people who got the welfare would have to do some kind of community service before they got their check or food stamps, I would be more inclined to support these kind of entitlement programs.

I do know what it is like to be poor, when I was in high school my father lost his business and we were right at the poverty line. My Dad got a job at Wal-mart(a man with a ma...

I do know what it is like to be poor, when I was in high school my father lost his business and we were right at the poverty line. My Dad got a job at Wal-mart(a man with a master's degree) and also went back to school to get his teachers certificate re-certified. It was tough for about 2 years, but my father never took welfare money or food stamps and we would have qualified.

I like a few things about the Healthcare law. I like the fact that an insurance company can't kick you off if you get sick(cancer). I do like that. I like that an insurance company can't prevent covering you for a pre-existing condition. I also like the fact that my kids can stay on my insurance until they are 26 if they need too.

What I really don't like is the Individual mandate. I don't like the government telling me I have to buy something or be taxed or penalized if I don't do it. What is next? The government forcing me to buy or GM car or be taxed or buy a Chevy Volt or be taxed. What if they force us to eat certain foods or be taxed? Some of this may seem a bit extreme, but you get the point, what kind of power does this give the federal government? I also believe that at some point over the next several years it will be the middle class that bears the burden.

Solutions? Keep the things that I mentioned that are good. Stop the fraud and abuse and the many many frivolous lawsuits against doctors and hospitals that take up a lot of resources and money. Medicaid should still be used for the temporarily down and out.

I enjoyed reading your opinions as well.
  • I am th... Brad # ... 2012/07/03 15:04:43
    I am the Don Dada
    I appreciate the response and actually, I can agree with the majority of what you said. So, now we're at the point that politicians would call "reaching across the aisle" to come up with a system that works for both political parties.

I just need one point of clarity to help me understand everything. Individual mandate? Hate it, I got it and I understand your reasoning... so why is the Republican party intent on getting rid of the entire bill if the only major issue they have (I'm having you represent the entire party right now) is the mandate? Why would Romney (on whom's work the bill was founded on) want to completely repeal it when we all know that it will help millions of Americans?

I'm glad I can finally get a lucid response from someone on this site without bashing personal beliefs. Looking forward (again) to hear from you.
  • Brad # ... I am th... 2012/07/03 16:42:55
    Brad # 2486547
    I think Republicans believe that the cost of this healthcare law will eventually cost a lot more then predicted, just like medicare and welfare did. Democrats maintain that the law will be cost effective, however, history shows that most government programs cost far more than anticipated. I also believe that not only is the mandate a "tax" according to the Supreme Court, I think additional taxes could be added. Imagine in 10 or 20 years the healthcare law is stretched thin financially. Who is to say that the government won't add another payroll tax to fund the healthcare system, just like medicare and social security.

I think the Republicans just want to start over, however, I think and hope that they would have in their healthcare bill, the preexisting condition clause, not being able to deny you coverage when you get sick and kids up to 26 years old staying on their parents insurance if needed. Those would need to be on the Republican plan as well. Another Republican plan is to allow people to buy insurance across state lines. That would create more competition and in theory provide cheaper insurance for those involved.

I don't know if the Republicans have all the answers, but as of right now, I don't think the democrats have a good complete answer to healthcare.

I enjoy having this civil discussion

Have a good day, my friend.
  • just me Brad # ... 2012/06/30 20:05:09
    just me
    Do you realize that Emergency Room care is the most expensive treatment available - that the average family now pays $1000 a year in taxes to support county ER services?
  • Justina... just me 2012/07/01 03:51:04
    Justina Jackson
    if you also pay with cash instead of a cc the cost is SIGNIFICANTLY lower its crazy
  • Brad # ... just me 2012/07/01 13:15:56
    Brad # 2486547
    Poor people will still go to the emergency room and the government will pay for it or should I say the tax payers will pay for it. The poor don't pay income tax.

What you proponents of this law keep saying is that everyone will be forced to buy insurance. That is not true, tax payers will be paying the premiums of the poor people who can't afford the premiums. The middle class still gets screwed.
  • Mark 2012/06/29 09:58:49
    Mark
    +3
    Welcome to the 20th century. Just another 100 years to go.
  • Brad # ... Mark 2012/07/03 16:44:15
    Brad # 2486547
    In another 100 years the United States of America and her constitution won't be here if the progressives keep on destroying it.
  • Mark Brad # ... 2012/07/04 06:59:52
    Mark
    nor will we
  • nothingbutthetruth 2012/06/29 09:38:26
    nothingbutthetruth
  • Huntclan 2012/06/29 09:35:58
    Huntclan
    +3
    Congress exempted themselves from this Bill. They will always have better healthcare.
  • Not Ein... Huntclan 2012/07/01 18:55:36
  • Huntclan Not Ein... 2012/07/01 19:11:18
    Huntclan
    Hmm, how do these myths get stuck into me noggin?
  • Robbb 2012/06/29 08:23:25
    Robbb
    +1
    Sound a little unbalanced doesn’t it. I mean after all according to the principle of capitalism your worth is judged by your wealth. Which means that if you are wealthy you deserve good treatment If you are poor you obviously don’t. I haven’t quite worked out yet how the capitalist ideal relates to children who after all have not had a chance to become wealthy yet.
  • aherbert 2012/06/29 05:58:43
    aherbert
    +4
    Sound fair to me ...
  • aneed2know 2012/06/29 04:24:41
    aneed2know
  • Jd aneed2know 2012/06/29 05:46:52
    Jd
    Yeah, you go ahead and enjoy those tax hikes and rationing there buddy...clown shoe!!
  • aneed2know Jd 2012/06/29 05:48:06
    aneed2know
    +4
    Yeah cause making people be responsible for their own behavior is not something the republicans have been screaming since i have been alive?

2014/11/28 01:38:24