Norway (A Socialist-Democratic Country) is best place to live, in the world China moves up: UN AFP

Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, USAF (Ret) 2009/10/05 20:14:34
Norway is best place to live, China moves up: UN AFP/File – A file photo shows a hiker along a famous track in Jotunheimen Park, Norway. Norway has taken the number …
Mon Oct 5, 7:53 am ET

PARIS (AFP) – Norway takes the number one spot in the annual United Nations human development index released Monday but China has made the biggest strides in improving the well-being of its citizens.

The top ten countries listed on the index are: Norway, Australia, Iceland, Canada, Ireland, the Netherlands, Sweden, France, Switzerland and Japan. Niger ranks at the very bottom, just below Afghanistan. France -- which was not part of the top 10 last year -- returns to the upper echelons by moving up three places to number 8. The United States ranks 13th, down one spot from last year.

The index compiled by the UN Development Programe (UNDP) ranks 182 countries based on such criteria as life expectancy, literacy, school enrollment and gross domestic product (GDP) per capita.

China moved up seven places on the list to rank as the 92nd most developed country due to improvements in education as well as income levels and life expectancy.

A child born in Niger can expect to live to just over 50, which is 30 years less than a child born in Norway. For every dollar a person earns in Niger, 85 dollars are earned in Norway.

"Many countries have experienced setbacks over recent decades, in the face of economic downturns, conflict-related crises and the HIV and AIDS epidemic," said the UN development report's author Jeni Klugman.

Afghanistan, which returns to the list for the first time since 1996, is the only Asian country among the bottom ten which also include Sierra Leone in the 180th spot, just below the Central African Republic.

Comments please.

• XZQZQ 2009/10/08 08:16:08 (edited)
    XZQZQ
    +2
    Norway has the same problem as Sweden: Muslim immigrants and their kids look upon the natives as sheep to be sheared. Or raped & robbed. Iceland is of interest. N. Ireland very nice, as is New Zealand.

• XZQZQ 2009/10/08 08:16:08 (edited)
    XZQZQ
    +2
  • JTron 2009/10/06 23:49:05
    JTron
    They didn't consider climate. Isn't living in Norway kinda like living in Wasilla, AK?
  • oldcavpilot 2009/10/06 12:36:16
    oldcavpilot
    Normally I wouldn't believe the UN if they told me rain was wet.

They're probably right about Norway, but in all fairness, they aren't putting up fences to keep people from immigrating.

We're already a Democratic-Socialist country; it's a question of degree. Medicare, Social Security and Medicaid are examples, but there are more. Norway isn't a country of immigrants, we are.

We have things to fix, like the economy, health-care, immigration, and an obsolete tax code, but I'll still take 13 over 92.
  • Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, US... 2009/10/05 22:23:35
    Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    +2
    Don't get lost here. Norway is not the Problem. They are a Socialist-Capitalist-Democracy, but all 17 that beat us weren't. Japan is not for instance and China is a Communist State. Of course their Culture is hard to match in America. But you should remember this list the next time one of the Sodahead Pseudo-intellectual Conservative-Republican Corporate-Fascist tells you that all the Socialist and Socialist-Capitalist are failed states, well you can just cough a bit and remember that it probably isn't worth arguing with them. If they really were intellectuals they wouldn't say such a stupid thing, and if they were able to see at all, they'd see how stupid such a remark is.
    Remember; "Don't argue with an idiot; they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience"
  • QueliKelly 2009/10/05 21:48:39
    QueliKelly
    +2
    well, having a healthy, intelligent society is rather nice. i find it hilarious that people get their panties in a twist whenever it turns out that some other country is doing quite well. patriotism shouldn´t be like rooting for a sports team. my only complaint about norway would be that it´s so darn expensive to live there.
  • Skeeter -Hmm, Hmm, Hmm 2009/10/05 20:55:02
    Skeeter -Hmm, Hmm, Hmm
    +1
    If you want to live in a Socialist-Democratic country, move you ass over there.
  • Joseph ... Skeeter... 2009/10/05 22:11:07 (edited)
    Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    +3
    ...and what dear sir do you know about living anywhere but your backward home town?
    I would remind you that we won the last elections with an overwhelming majority in both houses of Congress, and a great and Brilliant man in the White House. The Republicans are marginalized and will probably never make a rebound. Since you are very unhappy about living in our Country which we want to make better, maybe you will want to take your own advice, and move to one of the Right-Wing Junta States in South America where the Republicans have been sending our Tax Money to allow the wealthy land owners to shoot working and middle class peons for years. Take your AK-47 and 9 MM Tech and if you get lucky, maybe you'll get to shoot a couple of their left over peons.
    couple peons damn forgot quotes argue idiot level beat experience
    Damn I forgot one of my favorite quotes;
    "Don't argue with an idiot; they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience"
  • Skeeter... Joseph ... 2009/10/06 12:06:18
    Skeeter -Hmm, Hmm, Hmm
    +1
    What I do know is I am the one who said that it is a shame that someone like you wore the uniform of this country and pledged to defend the Constitution but now supports creating and furthering a form of goverment that goes against what you said you promised to uphold.
  • Joseph ... Skeeter... 2009/10/09 00:42:02
    Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    +1
    First off, our constitution doesn't formalize any type of Economic System. There is nothing in a Socialist-Democracy against any part of the American Constitution. If there is, please quote it because I have never seen it. Your Mom & Dad were brainwashed by the McCarthy era, all our parents were, but Socialism is a better form of Economic and much better for the people. It ensures Social Justice. I swore to defend my Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic. The most destruction to our Constitution was done by Bush/Cheney as they attempted to shred the Constitution during the build up to killing our kids in Iraq, a war of choice to satisfy the Corporate-Fascist desire in a secret Energy meeting in the VP office. Exon/Esso said we need to de-nationalize the Iraq and Iranian oil fields so they could put them on the Stock Market. One thing the Bushies ensured happened before they left office. They did, and Exon got 51%. Before, the fields belonged to the Iraqi people unber whose land it is stored. You sir know nothing and keep mentioning it to us. Why? Instead, help us get the war criminals in the Bush Administration arrested and jailed as War Criminals, and for trying to destroy our Constitution. war criminals bush administration arrested jailed war criminals destroy constitution
  • Skeeter... Joseph ... 2009/10/09 13:08:15
    Skeeter -Hmm, Hmm, Hmm
    +1
    Show me where the Constitution gives authority to the government to own any business. If there is, please quote it as I have never seen it. You don't know a damn thing about my mom or dad or what they dealt with. However, my dad did serve, and saw combat, in the USMC not the civilian branch of the military as you did. If socialism is so good, tell me where it has worked. It's hard to fathom how a system that takes from one who does to have and gives it to one who doesn't do and doesn't have is good for those who earned it. It may be good for those who didn't as they get a far better return on their investment. I see you promote social justice. That makes you appear as one of these who thinks everyone in a bad situation is there because someone in a good situation put them there. That is a foolish ASSumption but expected from someone of your ilk.

You sir, and your kind, are the ones trying to destroy this country and justify it in the name of justice. How sad and pitiful.
  • Joseph ... Skeeter... 2009/10/09 21:00:37 (edited)
    Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    +1
    I trust my brothers & sisters in any United States of America Uniform. I will not let you drag me down to argue whether your father or I served more honorably. I suspect we both did. Your father put blood and sweat on the line for this country, and I will never say anything differently. I once did, but that was when I never had to defend a fellow marine, and a marine didn't need to defend me. That is no longer true. My hat is off to your dad, who like me, served in a Socialist organization. No! Well, as a SSgt with 6 years, I made X Dollars. I might have had my ass in an Air Conditioned Air Craft at 9,000 feet with little chance of taking enemy fire. He, as a SSgt with 6 years, his sweaty head deep in beach sand with every chance of absorbing a bullet from enemy fire, and we both made X Dollars. And no body I ever heard gripe about it. A cook, SSgt with 6 years had his arms up to his elbows in soup, behind the lines made the same X dollars, and I was proud to say all three of us had the same goal and mission in life. That sir, is a true Socialism. And I had never been so happy, proud or well employed as then. And if I ever see your Dad, I will be happy to take a beer, or buy a beer for a man who gave us the freedom to be whatever we can be. Not always what we were ...
    I trust my brothers & sisters in any United States of America Uniform. I will not let you drag me down to argue whether your father or I served more honorably. I suspect we both did. Your father put blood and sweat on the line for this country, and I will never say anything differently. I once did, but that was when I never had to defend a fellow marine, and a marine didn't need to defend me. That is no longer true. My hat is off to your dad, who like me, served in a Socialist organization. No! Well, as a SSgt with 6 years, I made X Dollars. I might have had my ass in an Air Conditioned Air Craft at 9,000 feet with little chance of taking enemy fire. He, as a SSgt with 6 years, his sweaty head deep in beach sand with every chance of absorbing a bullet from enemy fire, and we both made X Dollars. And no body I ever heard gripe about it. A cook, SSgt with 6 years had his arms up to his elbows in soup, behind the lines made the same X dollars, and I was proud to say all three of us had the same goal and mission in life. That sir, is a true Socialism. And I had never been so happy, proud or well employed as then. And if I ever see your Dad, I will be happy to take a beer, or buy a beer for a man who gave us the freedom to be whatever we can be. Not always what we were but more likely what we, in our service, in our travels, got to see what we should be, not what we are because some people who never left home, are fearful of the change we need as a country to Progress. I probably honor your dad's service more than you do.
    travels people home fearful change country progress honmor dads service
  • Silas Joseph ... 2009/10/07 14:21:54 (edited)
    Silas
    +1
    Ah the slippery slope. Not falling into the inane argument is difficult. ah slippery slope falling inane argument difficult
  • XZQZQ Joseph ... 2009/10/08 08:20:38
    XZQZQ
    +1
    The pendulum swings back and forth. Now, having swung to the far left, it is set to swing just as far to the right.
  • Joseph ... XZQZQ 2009/10/09 00:45:57 (edited)
    Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    +1
    Wanna bet? The Corporate-Fascist, Regional Confederate Conservative Party has been marginalized, destroyed by the Bushies. They showed how bad it would be to let their failed trickle down theory enrich the top 1% at the expense of 95% of real Americans. They are now the party of the Neo-nazis, Skin-heads and KKK. Americans aren't. They also aren't and never will again believe the lies and rants of the Right-Wing Ditto heads. Hurry and we MIGHT let you join the right-wing of the Progressive-Democratic party. But ya gotta study up a little bit first.

2014/08/01 10:02:13