Noah's Ark: Fact or Fiction?

Estick 2009/02/11 08:53:59
Fact
Fiction

• chosenone 2009/09/14 17:58:04
    Fact
    chosenone
    +1
    Fact'' they claim its in turkey. on top of mt.Airiarat. the Turkish wont let anyone go on the mountian top. But views of the ship were found from space.
  • socokid 2009/07/31 20:57:03
    Fiction
    socokid
    +1
    The Noah's Ark myth has been debunked from every angle several times.

It just didn't happen. Period.
  • G 2009/05/30 09:19:58
    Fiction
    G
    +1
    I have trouble believing Noah could get the animals to behave without killing him and his family on the boat. I have trouble believing he'd be able to get them onto the boat. I also have trouble believing he'd be able to build a boat that big in one lifetime, however many hundreds of years a lifetime supposedly was back then, annd I have trouble believing God helped him much, because old testement god just didn't roll that way.
  • icymore 2009/05/30 02:33:24
    Fiction
    icymore
    +4
    There may have been a great flood that the people of a certain region thought was worldwide, but that's only because they had no idea how big the earth really is.
  • A 2009/05/29 14:27:55
    Fiction
    A
    +3
    There were probably lots of regional floods, but no world-wide flood. Besides, it would've been impossible for Noah to assemble all those critters in such a short period of time. It was probably meant to be allegorical.
  • Dylan Clearbrook 2009/05/29 11:51:09
    Dylan Clearbrook
    +2
    So far there is no proof that I have been able to see that this is a "true" tale...but there is nothing to prove that this tale (or the Gilgamesh tale it was taken from originally or the even earlier tales it is believed THAT tale came from) is false. Usually, with these kinds of tales there is some grain of fact that is built up over the years. It is quite possible that a major flood occurred in that section of the world and, given the times, it is equally possible that those people in that area would think the "whole world" was flooded (and in a way it was...THEIR small part of it may have been flooded)

Several Cultures do have flood myths...but so far, it seems, that most, if not all, can be traced back to a flood legend that pre-dates even the Gilgamesh tale.
  • trader 2009/05/29 04:23:31
    Fact
    trader
    +2
    People need to look into research done by Kent Hovind and others and it will open their eyes. Problem is they approach the sceince with their biased worldview and try to make the research fit into that worldview.
  • moonpie 2009/05/29 04:16:32
    Fact
    moonpie
    +1
    I guess it all boils down to how you were raised, and what you believe in. Everyone has a belief .. one way or the other. I CHOOSE to believe that it is fact. I believe what the Bible says. This ... was how I was raised, and this is how it will be when I pass. It makes my life more serene, and pleasant to believe this way. However, I respect the opinions of those who do not believe.
  • icymore moonpie 2009/05/30 02:35:38
    icymore
    +1
    yes, let's all believe whatever makes life pleasant. Forget about the truth, serenity is more important...
  • moonpie icymore 2009/05/30 03:48:48
    moonpie
    You believe as you wish, I believe as I wish, and thats that.
  • icymore moonpie 2009/05/30 06:13:38
    icymore
    +1
    No, I don't believe as I wish. I believe what makes sense, and you believe what you wish. There is a difference.
  • moonpie icymore 2009/05/30 14:38:00
    moonpie
    "i" BELIEVE in the Bible and the Prophecies in the Bible. I will not argue this point with you further, but I will pray for you.
  • icymore moonpie 2009/05/30 19:21:22
    icymore
    +1
    please do. I desperately need prayers because I am surrounded by fundies like you who don't appreciate logic and reason.
  • Dwight Mann 2009/05/29 03:15:59
    Fact
    Dwight Mann
    There is a God, the bible is his word for us to follow, and if you do not believe, woe to you upon the day of your dying. . .
  • Silky pal of Jesus 2009/05/28 21:15:50
    Fact
    Silky pal of Jesus
    +1

Found on Mount Ararat
  • QueenOfYou84 2009/05/28 20:25:25
  • Joker 23 *I AM THE LAW* 2009/03/02 00:44:36
    Fiction
    Joker 23 *I AM THE LAW*
    +1
    Where'd all that water go? Plus this story copied the Sumerian epic.
  • Rick 2009/02/27 22:53:45
  • Modena Bobena's Mommy 2009/02/11 20:09:54
    Fiction
    Modena Bobena's Mommy
    +4
    And there is much science to prove no worldwide flood.

Also, all the evidence I've ever seen by believers is faulty at best (like fossils of oceanic animals at high elevations, can you say PLATE TECHTONICS?).
  • QueenOf... Modena ... 2009/05/28 20:52:07
    QueenOfYou84
    Actually science supports the flood.
  • Estick QueenOf... 2009/05/28 21:15:41 (edited)
    Estick
    +2
    A worldwide flood? Or massive floods? A great flood would have only needed to cover the points of land that man knew about on a biblical level to be considered worldwide.

Where's the science to prove a worldwide flood?
  • trader Estick 2009/05/29 04:21:44
    trader
    There is plenty but biased people refuse to look at it.
  • Estick trader 2009/05/29 05:25:12
    Estick
    Well, please show me some evidence for a single world-wide flood. Obviously we know that floods occur. But do we have evidence that all of the world was underwater at the same time?

There is evidence of a great flood happening around 12,0000 years ago and there are many stories from various religions describing a great flood. How did the people in the bible know that this flood covered the whole earth? Weren't these the same people that thought the earth was flat?
  • trader Estick 2009/05/29 13:30:36
    trader
    One they were told about the flood through oral tradition. Next the entire geological stratification points more to flood sediment than to millions of years of dust build up. Try this on. Why is the Grand Canyon still stratified if it is millions of years old? First year geologist students can tell you stone weathers over time losing the strata exsposed. Explain fossilized trees running through two coal veins in a perfect vertical position and these strata, according to the no flood crowd, date from different eras. There's plenty out there if you do not buy the dogma.
  • Modena ... trader 2009/07/01 18:41:39
    Modena Bobena's Mommy
    the entire stratification? You taking your science credits in the monastary or what?
  • trader Modena ... 2009/07/01 20:22:42
    trader
    Are you capable of other than zings?
  • Modena ... trader 2009/07/06 15:49:42
    Modena Bobena's Mommy
    sure am, especially when the post I'm responding to does not contain a bunch of unfounded, religous dogma.

First, we have not seen the entire stratification. Second, There is a good, scientifically founded reason why teh grand canyon is still stratified even though it's millions of years old. Thats becaue the stuff below does not move, and the river has cut a cayon into the rock over miillions of years?

The stratification is NOT lost next to the erosion. The only strata lost is that withered away by the path of the water, and that next to it via wind and animal erosion

This will not erode the entire rock, but erode a valley (or canyon) into it...
  • trader Modena ... 2009/07/06 19:29:31
    trader
    1st year geology. Exsposed stratified rock weathers to a smooth non stratified surface. If that river cut the canyon where is the delta from the erosion? Do rivers run uphill? If you believe the Grand Canyon was cut by that river then you believe that nonsense also. Btw how can you get a foot thick amount of strata from dust settling over millions of years? The same material not different.
  • The Sane One 2009/02/11 19:07:12
    Fiction
    The Sane One
    +3
    Given the dimensions of the Ark as defined in the pages of the Bible, the Ark could NOT have held a male and female specimen of all of Earth's species of animals-- simply not enough room for the mammals, much less the birds, insects, arachnids etc and the fresh food and water they would need to survive for 40 days and nights.

Besides which-- given the stated dimensions, the weight of a pair of African Elephants ALONE --if not SEVERELY restrained so as to allow virtually no movement-- would cause the boat to shift uncontrollably and very quickly would have led to the Ark's capsizing. Add in the weight of every other animal, and you can see that the boat would have broken into pieces very quickly in ANY kind of swell.
  • Modena ... The San... 2009/02/11 20:10:53
    Modena Bobena's Mommy
    +2
    and who shoveled all the shit, and where'd they shovel it to?!?!?!
  • QueenOf... The San... 2009/05/28 21:06:17
    QueenOfYou84
    +1
    It took YEARS to build.

Besides, all you people arguing the ark never existed because of it's sheer mass would also argue the pyramids if they weren't physically still standing!
  • trader QueenOf... 2009/05/29 04:28:27
    trader
    Piggy backing because psanity has me blocked. Insects were not on the ark. You can't kill them by flooding. Noah took a male and female of each kind not each species. All species have devided from the original pair. Most animals would've been very young so as not to use much space and have optimum reproduction later.
  • The San... trader 2009/05/29 13:23:24
    The Sane One
    I don't block anyone unless they block me first-- so since you've unblocked me, I've unblocked you.

You CAN kill insects by flooding-- ants are flooded and killed by floods, as are bees and many beetles...as well as the aphids and other insects that depend on LIVING plant tissue for food.

And do you realize that you just made the case for evolution, if all species are derived from the same pairing of AN animal?
  • trader The San... 2009/05/29 13:36:09 (edited)
    trader
    Some of the insects die not all some survive. I made the case for adaptation not evolution. A horse is a horse, a dog is a dog, and so forth. A dog did not turn into a cat or a horse as evolutionists claim. That is the stumbling block that confuses evos. They took two of each kind on the ark not two of each species.
  • The San... QueenOf... 2009/05/29 13:17:40
    The Sane One
    Nobody is saying that something the Ark's size couldn't have existed.

I'm merely saying that it couldn't have held what it is alleged to have held.
  • Devilish Thoughts 2009/02/11 17:47:17
    Fiction
    Devilish Thoughts
    +1
    Pure fabrication. If you beleive this story, then do you also believe that god just handed swimming things and flying things a "free pass" because logic would tell you that a flood would have nade no difference to either of these species.
  • trader Devilis... 2009/05/29 04:29:50
    trader
    Incorrect. The flood was a grand cataclism that over turned much of the surface of the Earth. I guess you believe the fossilized clams climbed Mount Everest?
  • Devilis... trader 2009/05/29 04:49:04
    Devilish Thoughts
    Sorry trader, but we were not debating nor was the question about the possibility of a massive flood. The question was is Noah's Ark real and that is what I responded to. Try reading what I said one more time and use some comprehension. IF the Ark was real and god's purpose with this flood was to start over....explain where anything that flew or swam would have been impacted?
  • trader Devilis... 2009/05/29 13:39:42
    trader
    My reply explained both your points sorry you just can't comprehend yourself.
  • Devilis... trader 2009/05/29 16:26:36 (edited)
    Devilish Thoughts
    wow..you really are a bit slow huh? Ok let me break it down for you so that maybe you will get it.

THE STORY: The story of Noah's Ark is that god was unhappy with his creation so he instructed a man named Noah to build and Ark and place upon it one pair of each of the animals of the earth, along with his wife and children. He (god) then sent the rains for 40 days and 40 nights and flooded the world. When the waters receded Noah's Ark and all its occupants came to rest upon Mt. Ararat and from there went forth and repopulate the earth.

MY POINT: Anything that swam or flew would not require Noah or his Ark, so in essence god just gave all those species a "free pass" as a massive flood would not have had any impact on any of them. Meaning that if a fish lives in water, more water isn't going to be a problem and if a bird can fly, it doesn't matter how deep the water as it can stay above it. So this story of Noah does not make any logical sense as the ends do not fit the means.

YOUR REPLY: Incorrect. The flood was a grand cataclism that over turned much of the surface of the Earth. I guess you believe the fossilized clams climbed Mount Everest?

OK...what is incorrect? That the fish would have drowned as would have the birds? That Noah included the fish and birds on his boat? This "..."

OK...what is incorrect? That the fish would have drowned as would have the birds? That Noah included the fish and birds on his boat? This "incorrect" comment makes no logical sense. Now...I never debated in my comment the possibility of a massive flood that covered the world. YES, there is evidence that we at some point in time DID have a massive flooding of this planet, as that WOULD account for the finding of clams and shells on top of several mountains, but THAT DOES NOT PROVE THE STORY OF NOAH OR HIS ARK and THAT was the question asked, NOT if we had a massive flood.

Do you understand it now?

2014/10/25 01:26:38