No where in the bible does it say being homosexual is a sin, and the only places it refers to it is in the old testament in Leviticus, Romans, and Corinthians.

Connor Pope 2009/08/14 22:50:13
I beg everyone read this before they continue as well, totally debunks alot of the Romans Corinthians
http://www.worldpolicy.org/projects/globalrights/sexorient/bi...

Firstly may say it is detestable to be homosexual, but no where does it directly say "Being Homosexual is a Sin"

Second of all, any reference to being homosexual as being wrong is in the old testament, in the new testament homosexual doesn't mean being "Gay". Refer to the link above.

Thirdly, "Love Thy Neighbor", it means love everyone, including those who are gay and those who are black, and white, and racist, and hateful (Yes, including Conservatives :P)

Fourthly, the bible specifically says "Matthew 7:1 "Do not judge, or you too will be judged."" , much like the golden rule, if you say being a homosexual is a sin then you to will be judged by others.

Fifthly, if you truly believe in those laws from those books including Leviticus, then surely you HAVE to believe in these, otherwise you will be Proof-testing the bible for your own opinions, which is wrong.

These are the laws from Leviticus, you either believe in them ALL or you don't.

Don't let cattle graze with other kinds of Cattle (Leviticus 19:19)
Don't have a variety of crops on the same field. (Leviticus 19:19)
Don't wear clothes made of more than one fabric (Leviticus 19:19)
Don't cut your hair nor shave. (Leviticus 19:27)
Any person who curseth his mother or father, must be killed. (Leviticus 20:9) Have you ever done that?
If a man cheats on his wife, or vise versa, both the man and the woman must die. (Leviticus 20:10). I wonder if Dr. Laura would like that one to be enforced?
If a man sleeps with his father's wife... both him and his father's wife is to be put to death. (Leviticus 20:11)
If a man sleeps with his wife and her mother they are all to be burnt to death. (Leviticus 20:14)
If a man or woman has sex with an animal, both human and animal must be killed. (Leviticus 20:15-16). I guess you should kill the animal since they were willing participants. Are they crazy?
If a man has sex with a woman on her period, they are both to be "cut off from their people" (Leviticus 20:18)
Psychics, wizards, and so on are to be stoned to death. (Leviticus 20:27)
If a priest's daughter is a whore, she is to be burnt at the stake. (Leviticus 21:9)
People who have flat noses, or is blind or lame, cannot go to an altar of God (Leviticus 21:17-18)
Anyone who curses or blasphemes God, should be stoned to death by the community. (Leviticus 24:14-16)

Sixthly, it is NATURAL TO BE HOMOSEXUAL. The brain patters of a homosexual are close to the same of that of a heterosexual of the opposite sex. The hormones are much different in a homosexual's brain then that of a heterosexual of the same gender.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1815538,00.html
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/06/080616-gay-br...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7791888/
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,367848,00.html

Seventhly, it is so natural that even ANIMALS show homosexual tendencies.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/07/0722_040722_g...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_animals_displaying_homos...
http://www.news-medical.net/news/2006/10/23/20718.aspx
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/5550488/Homos...

A Summary

When one compares the original Hebrew and Greek writings with various English translations of the Bible, discrepancies emerge. There are many passages in English Bibles which clearly condemn same-sex activities. But when the original Hebrew or Greek text is studied, the passages are either ambiguous or are unrelated to consentual homosexuality within a committed relationship. Two words which are often mistranslated in many places in the Hebrew Scriptures are:

* qadesh means a male temple prostitute who engaged in ritual sex; it is often mistranslated as “sodomite” or “homosexual.”
* to’ebah means a condemned foreign Pagan religious cult practice, but often translated as “abomination.”

We have concluded the following:

* The Bible has a lot to say about temple prostitution, including homosexual ritual prostitution. This was a common practice within the Canaanite fertility religion; some believe that the practice was also taken up by some ancient Israelites.
* God’s destruction of town of Sodom had nothing to do with homosexuality
* The Bible says little about homosexual feelings.
* It says nothing about sexual orientation; the concept of orientation dates only from the late 19th century.
* A number of homosexual relationships are described positively or neutrally in the Bible
* Of the many hundreds of Jesus’ instructions and prohibitions, few have a sexual component and none condemn homosexuality.
* Paul may have condemned same-sex sexual activities by homosexuals, but the passages are unclear; there are many possible interpretations.
* Bible translators must be aware of the errors that have been made in previous versions of the Bible; they are widely discussed in theological literature. But it would probably not be economically possible at this time to produce a translation of the Bible that was accurate. People are so used to expecting homophobic references in a half-dozen locations in scrip

A Caution

The words “homosexual” and “homosexuality” do not appear in the Bible—at least they are absent from the original Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek texts. The authors of the Bible did not understand sexual orientation; this concept was only developed in the late 19th century. The writers had little or no comprehension of same-sex committed relationships. Their languages had no words for these concepts. Rather, they assumed that everyone was heterosexual, but that some heterosexuals engaged in sex with persons of the same gender. Thus, when you see one of these terms in an English translation of the Bible, it is important to dig deeper and find what the original Hebrew or Greek text really means.
Bible References

In Biblical times, same-gender sexual interactions could take many forms. Some were:

1. kings of conquered tribes were sometimes raped by the invading army as the ultimate symbol of defeat and humiliation. Homosexual rape was also a way of humiliating visitors and strangers. These were acts of power and domination and had nothing in common with consentual sex by gays and lesbians.
2. some non-Jewish tribes in the area had male prostitutes in their temples who ritually engaged in same-sex activities; this horrified the ancient Israelites. Temple prostitution is no longer found in most areas of the world.
3. it was common within the Roman Empire for male adults to keep boy prostitutes for the purpose of sexual activity. The boys were often slaves. In modern times, this is considered child abuse, a criminal offense.
4. it is reasonable to assume that many loving gay and lesbian relationships existed in Biblical times, but these would normally have been conducted in secret.

Only the last type would have any similarity to today’s gay and lesbian consentual, committed, loving relationships.
People’s Beliefs Regarding the Bible

People differ greatly in their view of the Bible:

* Generally speaking, Fundamentalists and other Evangelical Christians believe that:
o the Bible, as originally written, is inerrent (infallible) and that God prevented the authors from making even a single error
o every verse is useful in their understanding of God’s intentions
o one should initially attempt to interpret each passage according to its literal meaning
Many conservative Christians believe that certain translations are essentially free of error; e.g. the King James Version and the New International Version. Thus, when they read some of the passages that clearly and unmistakably condemn homosexuality, they are inclined to trust the translators and conclude that God hates homosexuality. Unfortunately, many groups of translators have been heavily biased against certain people, including Witches, gays and lesbians; many have tended to warp their translations accordingly.
* More liberal Christians tend to look upon the Bible as containing many translation errors, whose verses should not necessarily all be taken at their face value. Sections which accept and regulate slavery, limit the rights of women and condemn homosexuality are some examples.

Each Bible translation reflects the world view, beliefs and mind sets of its translators. Their personal biases distort their work. There is an additional complexity facing translators: today’s society is very different from that of Biblical times. It is sometimes difficult to find a current English word that closely matches a Hebrew or Greek term.

Same-Sex Relationships in the Bible

The Bible describes three emotionally close relationships between two people of the same gender. They appear to have progressed well beyond a casual friendship:

* Ruth and Naomi
* David and Jonathan
* Daniel and Ashpenaz

Daniel’s relationship appears to have been a committed homosexual partnership; the others may or may not have been sexually active.
Conclusions

* There may be as many as three references in the Bible to committed homosexual relationships, none of which was condemned.
* Homosexual activity in the temple by male prostitutes is clearly prohibited by the Hebrew Scriptures (Old Testament).
* Prostitution, both heterosexual and homosexual is generally condemned.
* Sexual abuse of boys by adult males is condemned
* St. Paul considered at least some male and female homosexual acts to be forbidden, but it is unclear precisely which acts are included. He may have been referring to:
o temple prostitution,
o people who are not innately gay, lesbian or bisexual, but who engaged in homosexual acts,
o to child sexual abuse, or
o group sexual orgies.

Paul was certainly aware of sexual orgies in Pagan temples, including both heterosexual and homosexual encounters. He would have been aware of the practice of male adults keeping a boy for sexual purposes. These may have been the only forms of same gender sex that he knew of. He did not appear to make any references in his writings to consentual, committed homosexual relationships. He probably did not know of any.

One should note that Paul also condemned women preaching (1 Cor 14:34) or wearing gold or pearls (1 Tim 2:11). He also accepted and did not condemn the institution of slavery. Many Christians feel that his writings reflect his own prejudices are not a particularly useful guide for ethics and morals in the 20th Century.
* Jesus made many hundreds of statements regarding belief and behavior. However He never mentioned homosexuality.
* It is the subject of endless debate whether St. Paul’s prohibition of at least some homosexual acts was:
o for the people in the vicinity of the Mediterranean during the 1st Century CE, or
o for all people, forever.

One can argue that the ancient Israelites were surrounded by warlike tribes. Their fertility was very important if the group was to survive. The early Christian church was persecuted by the Roman government and by the Jewish religious leaders. Homosexuals tend to have few children; thus their presence would be met with opposition. At the end of the 20th Century, conditions are the exact opposite; we are threatened by our excessive fertility. Perhaps Paul’s criticism of homosexuality is no longer valid, like his various prohibitions against women’s behavior.

• Disko Pickle 2009/08/15 01:04:29
    Disko Pickle
    +20
    Sorry, but the Bible is 100% clear that homosexuality is a sin for which the punishment is death. There is no wiggle room on this one. If you want to have an open mind about homosexuality, I'm afraid you're going to have to drop your Christian faith. You can't have it both ways.

• ┌∩┐(◣_◢... kickash... 2009/08/15 15:47:51
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)Delibean ಠ_ಠ
    +2
    NEVAR!!!! nevar
  • kickash... ┌∩┐(◣_◢... 2009/08/15 15:49:22
    kickash~the mom of þhαετ~
    +2
    awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

that has got to be the cutest damn thing i have ever seen!
  • RamblingVoices. 2009/08/14 22:56:51
    RamblingVoices.
    +4
    i read your answer to a previous poll about this and im glad you`ve put this up, i shall help you carry the weight of your shield
    *grabs one side of the flame shield*
  • Connor ... Ramblin... 2009/08/14 23:00:09
    Connor Pope
    +1
    Thank you misti!
  • Ramblin... Connor ... 2009/08/14 23:01:29
    RamblingVoices.
    +1
    welcome ;-)
  • Dummy (The guy in my avata... 2009/08/14 22:56:41
    Dummy  (The guy in my avatar isn't me)
    +5
    I don't see how its a sin to be something you can't help.
  • Connor ... Dummy ... 2009/08/14 22:59:58
    Connor Pope
    +2
    It's not something you "help" dummy. (Sorry its your name >_>)
  • Dummy ... Connor ... 2009/08/14 23:03:12
    Dummy  (The guy in my avatar isn't me)
    +3
    What I meant is you don't choose to be homosexual, you either are or you aren't.

Cus you can't help what gender you are attracted to, so I don't see how a god who is supposed to be all about love and stuff would say that homosexuality is bad.

That's like saying being a girl is bad, or being a boy is bad.
  • Connor ... Dummy ... 2009/08/14 23:05:06
    Connor Pope
    +3
    Ah ok, sorry for the misunderstanding. I agree with you
  • Dummy ... Connor ... 2009/08/14 23:07:24
  • daylight Connor ... 2009/08/14 23:58:20
    daylight
    I know many that have come out of homosexual life style, many had major problems with their father.........something you yourself may want to to check into and go a lot deeper. I have one friend who was seduced by someone who took advange of her during a weak, heart breaking time.
    She came out of the life style a year later full of shame, but she worked through it married a wonderful man who she loves deeply and has 3 children now.

When I was 19 someone at my work who I was friends with and she was getting married in a few months, she came on to me, I had to fight her off, my father was a police officer and I told this big gal, she better back off now!!!!!!!! Or I would get my father and everyone at work. She did, and I warned my friends at work to stay away from her. I really liked her alot, she was really sweet until she got me alone.

I am sure you can find some who are free of this life style who can give you more insight then you would get anywhere about what is really going on with homoseuals.
  • wolfshadow daylight 2009/08/15 01:19:44
  • ┌∩┐(◣_◢... daylight 2009/08/15 01:28:23
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)Delibean ಠ_ಠ
    +1
    I hear you, Womens are all after my sweet manliness! I'm not an object!
  • Connor ... daylight 2009/08/15 02:59:12
    Connor Pope
    +1
    I know many that have always been homosexuals, especially MANY of my friends. I live in a very homosexual part of boston and I've seen many sides of the story. Gay people are very nice, funny, and I see nothing wrong with being gay.

Seduced by the same sex or opposite? You can't be seduced by the same sex if the are straight... It's close to impossible unless chloroform was used :P
  • 123456789 2009/08/14 22:55:24
    123456789
    Ive talked to my priest many times on this issue, and it is not a sin to be homosexual, sinning comes into play when you take part in homosexual actions
  • Connor ... 123456789 2009/08/14 22:56:20
    Connor Pope
    +1
    No where in the bible does it say having sex with the same sex is a sin.

Your priest is wrong.
  • 123456789 Connor ... 2009/08/14 23:02:51
    123456789
    +1
    He may be, and he may not be, way to be close minded towards other opinions though
  • Connor ... 123456789 2009/08/14 23:04:29
    Connor Pope
    There is a difference between opinion and fact Zac. It may be unnatural for YOU to think of Gay people having sex because your brain functions differently and you are straight.

It's like saying "Its not a sin to be heterosexual but having sex with a girl is a sin"
  • 123456789 Connor ... 2009/08/14 23:06:00
    123456789
    +2
    Before you make assumption, look at my profile Im Bi
  • Connor ... 123456789 2009/08/14 23:07:36
    Connor Pope
    +1
    I don't look at peoples profiles but I probably should start doing that now ;_;

This is like the 5th time I've misread someone and said something to them like that.

Sorry about that
  • 123456789 Connor ... 2009/08/14 23:10:17
    123456789
    +1
    Its alright
  • Ramblin... 123456789 2009/08/14 23:02:06
  • 123456789 Ramblin... 2009/08/14 23:04:11
    123456789
    +1
    Your question
  • Ramblin... 123456789 2009/08/14 23:11:14
    RamblingVoices.
    +1
    how can someone be homosexual if they dont participate in homosexual actions? i dont get it
  • 123456789 Ramblin... 2009/08/14 23:16:47
    123456789
    +1
    Its difficult to explain, if you really want to know you would have to talk to a priest like i did when i had feelings that the church was unaccepting of me being Bi
  • Ramblin... 123456789 2009/08/14 23:28:44
    RamblingVoices.
    its ok no probs, can i ask if your feelings were right about the church not accepting you or was your priest understanding?
  • 123456789 Ramblin... 2009/08/15 04:34:12
    123456789
    +1
    He was understanding about it, hes a younger guy.
  • Ramblin... 123456789 2009/08/15 09:21:35
    RamblingVoices.
    thats good then im glad, gives some people a bad name too, i hope youre happy with yourself anyway x
  • tammerz... 123456789 2009/08/14 23:09:10
    tammerz/zɹǝɯɯɐʇ
    +2
    That's like saying, "It's okay to like tacos, but it's a sin to eat them." What's the point of liking tacos then?
  • 123456789 tammerz... 2009/08/14 23:13:19
    123456789
    Its difficult to explain, you would probably have to talk to a priest to get the full meaning. He explianed it all to me when i was feeling the church was unaccepting of me since Im Bi, but now i have a better understanding of it.
  • tammerz... 123456789 2009/08/14 23:15:27
    tammerz/zɹǝɯɯɐʇ
    +1
    Well, it just seems like ignoring the gay part of you is acting in a way that is not you. It's denying yourself. I'm pretty sure that's a sin too.
  • 123456789 tammerz... 2009/08/14 23:19:58
    123456789
    +1
    Im not going to argue cause i kno im not the expert on this, so im not going to be the one who explains it.
  • Connor ... 123456789 2009/08/14 23:30:02
    Connor Pope
    +1
    If you aren't the expert then you shouldn't go around saying stuff like that.
  • 123456789 Connor ... 2009/08/15 04:35:48
    123456789
    +1
    Also majority of the people on this site are not experts on the topics yet they go around and give their opinion, i just have the sense enough to admit it.
  • Connor ... 123456789 2009/08/15 13:50:19
    Connor Pope
    True, but I'm just saying it would be better to post things when you are able to explain them otherwise the other side of the argument will have a whole lot of shit on you.
  • 123456789 Connor ... 2009/08/15 16:59:23
    123456789
    I can explain it im just not going to be the one to because it is complicated stuff, most people on this site cant understand simple things unless it is on their side of the argument, so its not worth the time.
  • Connor ... 123456789 2009/08/15 17:08:16
    Connor Pope
    You act like everyone isn't going to hear you out and that they are to "Stupid" to understand it but you are in no place to judge because I could say the same about you.
  • 123456789 Connor ... 2009/08/15 18:15:38
    123456789
    How long have you been on this site? It doesnt take long to figure out that people dont listen unless you are agreeing with them, i never said anyone was stupid just that they are firm on their beleifs so if it goes against them it is like it goes right over their head, not going to lie i do the same as well.
  • Connor ... 123456789 2009/08/15 22:17:48
    Connor Pope
    No idea how long, since last month maybe?

Yes thats true Zac but posting evidence right in from of them posts the seed of doubt. Obviously it may be futile to do that but if you don't it just makes them the winners.

I suggest you explain it to me, I would be very curious.
  • vinny 123456789 2009/08/14 23:49:26
    vinny
    If your priest is advice is consistent with the teaching of the church or denomination he represents, and I believe he is, then he is doing his job as his vows demand. If someone tells you that the priest is wrong he is really saying that he does not agree with the priest's denomination.

2014/09/22 16:28:09