Newsweek Calls Obama the 'First Gay President': Did the Magazine Go Too Far?

It was kind of a big deal when Barack Obama became the first U.S. president to openly support gay marriage -- enough for the some to joke that he was "coming out of the closet," so to speak. But Newsweek took it a step further on the cover of this week's issue, dubbing Obama "the first gay president," along with an image of the president under a rainbow halo. It's a striking statement, no matter what side of the conversation you're on. But is it going a little too far?

Andrew Sullivan, an openly gay Newsweek journalist, wrote of Obama's announcement, "Like many others, I braced myself for disappointment. And yet when I watched the interview, the tears came flooding down. The moment reminded me of my own wedding day. I had figured it out in my head, but not my heart. And I was utterly unprepared for how psychologically transformative the moment would be. To have the president of the United States affirm my humanity — and the humanity of all gay Americans — was, unexpectedly, a watershed." Still, was Newsweek's cover a little too risque?

• Tinka123 2012/05/14 19:33:12 (edited)
    Tinka123
    +26
    LOL - uh, yeah.

Edit -
    I don't know about it being too "risque." But "The first gay president" leaves one with the impression that he himself is gay. Pretty sure that would come as a shock to his wife. lol

• smartgirl Boss 2012/05/15 23:28:36
    smartgirl
    +2
    It"s so true. It seems Republicans thrive on propaganda. I admire Mr. Obama. It's about time gay people were treated as equals. When I was young I remember it being quite acceptable to beat up a "queer". I was appalled by it but things have changed. Not so acceptable any more, thankfully.
  • Grammar... smartgirl 2012/05/16 08:25:32
    Grammar Freak
    I must say that I don't "admire" Obama.
    However, I do respect this one decision. It is the first truly Constitutional move he's made as President.
    I do agree with you about the rest.
  • ehrhornp 2012/05/15 21:55:35
    ehrhornp
    +2
    Just another example of where the mass media is more interested in selling it's crap than doing actual reporting. No wonder print media has such problems. I haven't read a Newsweek in years. I should thank the magazine for verifying my opinion of it.

I wouldn't call the cover overly risque but they probably missed the entire point of Obama. Unlike phony conservatives Obama values all of humanity, not just white, straight, and rich males. He also believes they should all be treated fairly and the same.
  • madsam 2012/05/15 21:54:45
    madsam
    +4
    I don't like Obama, and I knew he supported gays for votes, but to call him gay is stupid.
  • Grammar... madsam 2012/05/16 08:30:04
    Grammar Freak
    I don't know that it's necessarily just for votes.
    I think the chances are pretty high that he actually does believe in what he says. If so, good for him, it's the one stance he's taken that is in line with The Constitution. In fact, his "coming out" about said beliefs, could just as likely have done more damage, which might be why he had to keep them to himself up to now.

Every politician says/does things for votes. That is part of the game. I don't think it's fair at all to isolate Mr. Obama as some sort of anomaly when he does it.
  • Steve Souza 2012/05/15 21:45:17
    Steve Souza
    +2
    Seems all are copying some of the fox " news" habits
  • Cee 2012/05/15 21:43:36
    Cee
    +1
    Yes, they went too far.
  • ☆stillthe12c☆ 2012/05/15 21:35:21
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    +1
    I would say they may be liable.
  • Gordon 2012/05/15 21:32:13
    Gordon
    +2
    Does this mean that Obama is our first Kenyan born, Islamic, homosexual, lying, half black, Communist president?
  • ehrhornp Gordon 2012/05/15 21:56:43
    ehrhornp
    +1
    No it doesn't. So nice you phony conservatives consider Richard Nixon a pinko commie today. lol
  • Gordon ehrhornp 2012/05/17 14:45:36
    Gordon
    That was a joke! I didn't like Nixon either.
  • ehrhornp Gordon 2012/05/17 15:38:25
    ehrhornp
    And I suppose you didn't like Ike or Uncle Ron either. I didn't care for Nixon or uncle Ron either but I just find it odd that republicans toss their past leaders under the bus.
  • Gordon ehrhornp 2012/05/17 17:09:06
    Gordon
    I have not cared much for any of our recent presidents of either party. None of them compare with Thomas Jefferson or George Washington. Presidents for the past 50 years have owed their souls to big business, special interests, and to loose men and women with illegitimate children who refuse to provide for their own offspring or to take proper precautions during their reckless sex.
  • ehrhornp Gordon 2012/05/17 18:15:57
    ehrhornp
    While the democrats are far from perfect, I feel they are a hell of a lot better than republicans who have consistently crashed the economy. What I detest are politicians owing their souls to special interests. I think the republicans have been far worse than the democrats.
  • trainma... Gordon 2012/05/15 21:59:02
  • Bill Gordon 2012/05/15 22:13:53
    Bill
    +2
    Yes, it looks that way. Maybe for once Newsweek got something right. Let's hope that they continue in their investigations, with now articles about Obama's past, which we know very little about, since all of it has been covered up so completely. We deserve to know.
  • Gordon Bill 2012/05/17 14:46:15
    Gordon
    I agree!
  • Frankie Gordon 2012/05/16 01:34:11
    Frankie
    +2
    It means that Obama was born in the British Isles Protectorate is Islamic, bi-sexual, lying, half black/half white communist dictator of the United States. His phony birth certificate/social security card is proof that he is not the POTUS.
  • Bob 2012/05/15 21:18:14
  • ehrhornp Bob 2012/05/15 21:57:22
    ehrhornp
    I would agree to that after we dig into GW's background. Now there was a sick bastard.
  • Bill ehrhornp 2012/05/15 22:20:13
    Bill
    +2
    Even if you think that GW was sick, he was head and shoulders above this incurable ailing marxist, with his warped mind, trying to destroy our Nation, and shedding all blame for anything. BO's mentality is really sick, and must be from all of that cocaine he used in College.
  • GloriaR... Bill 2012/06/02 15:38:58
    GloriaRausch
    Any person with intelligence is head and shoulders above GW. There is no need for name calling. It is the way to make a statement without thorough knowledge of the subject and/or lack of intelligence.
  • Bob GloriaR... 2012/09/10 17:34:46
  • rsg 2012/05/15 21:10:53
    rsg
    +6
    they cant take it far enough , if they can run him out of town it wouldnt be far enough !
  • ehrhornp rsg 2012/05/15 21:58:07
    ehrhornp
    +1
    Yes lets bring back a Bush III and see if we can get the stock market down to 5000.
  • hilllary 2012/05/15 21:01:37
    hilllary
    +7
    They didn't go far enough. He is the first communist president, the first useless president the dumbist president, the most arrogrant president. Have you noticed that about ever picture of him he has his nose stuck up. I wonder why he hasn't drown if he has ever been out in a heavy rain. iis like the president of chez. Republic, who was part of the soveit union, said what was the worst thing about Obama be elected president, not that we have an idoit for president, but that there were enough idoits to elect such a dummy.
  • ehrhornp hilllary 2012/05/15 21:59:42
    ehrhornp
    +2
    Amazing that there are still people who have no idea what communism is and apparently what capitalism is about. A shame. I suggest you go back to high school. Learn a little something before making another idiotic statement.
  • hilllary ehrhornp 2012/05/16 21:29:25
    hilllary
    You are one of these people who believes ever thing that comes out of the mouth of leaders like Hilter, Stalin, mo. ho. and the likes. I have a good ideal, I lost many friends fighting againt youall. But we will alway defeat you on the battle field. but not on the lieing field.
  • ehrhornp hilllary 2012/05/17 15:41:55
    ehrhornp
    +1
    Like I said you obviously don't know what you are talking about (or what you were fighting for). To call Obama a communist is just the dumbest statement one can make and is also calling Eisenhower and Nixon communists. Are you that stupid to consider Ike and Nixon commies? Stop kicking your previous leaders under the bus.
  • hilllary ehrhornp 2012/05/23 00:12:28
    hilllary
    what do Communists do? They take from those who are smart and work and give to the stupid and lazy. Sounds like your hero dosen't it?
  • ehrhornp hilllary 2012/05/23 00:16:57
    ehrhornp
    No it sounds like Mitt who wants to take from the middle class and give to the rich. So tell me why do you consider Eisenhower and Nixon commies?
  • hilllary ehrhornp 2012/06/05 21:00:55
    hilllary
    Only lazy blanks like you and Obama want to take from workers and give to lazy people.
  • ehrhornp hilllary 2012/06/05 21:11:41
    ehrhornp
    You didn't answer my question. Why do you consider Nixon and Eisenhower commies?
  • hilllary ehrhornp 2012/06/05 20:58:47
    hilllary
    Dummie did I say Ike or Nixon were commies? I said you and your dummy leader Obama are commies.
  • ehrhornp hilllary 2012/06/05 21:13:06
    ehrhornp
    Can only assume that since Obama was heavily influenced by Richard Nixon, that you would also consider him a commie. Why don't you? Because he is not black. lol
  • hilllary ehrhornp 2012/06/05 21:28:11
    hilllary
    The way Obama and Nixon are alike, they both could not tell the truth. But Obama is a communist. Look at his people like Van Jones, and his preacher mr Wright, and Bill Arees. and the people who he hung out with.
  • ehrhornp hilllary 2012/06/05 21:36:51
    ehrhornp
    Rev. Wright is not a communist. He believes in God lol. Do you know anything about Jesus? What about Van Jones and Bill Arees? Van Jones is a very good person and Bill is as I understand an upstanding member of the illinois community.
  • hilllary ehrhornp 2012/06/13 21:34:13
    hilllary
    You drink the kool-aid that the rats put out. Wright is not a Christian. Rember the statment no no no not God bless America but God --- America. Where have you got you head, Van Jones is a Communist, and so is Bill Arees.
  • ehrhornp hilllary 2012/06/14 02:57:38
    ehrhornp
    Obviously you are nothing more than a phony conservative who has no idea what either conservatism or communism mean. Hard to discuss anything with someone so ignorant. If Wright is not Christian, what is he? Few would deny that United church of Christ is not part of the Christian religion. Did you listen to the entire sermon? Just curious.
  • hilllary ehrhornp 2012/07/11 21:31:26
    hilllary
    You know nothing about Christianity. Wright is nothing but a hater and so is Obummer who is just a leach on all tax paying citzens. I assume you are a leach also I would guess you have worked about as much as Obummer. All he has ever done is live off our money. He is a communist like you.

2014/07/30 17:13:07