Newsweek Calls Obama the 'First Gay President': Did the Magazine Go Too Far?

It was kind of a big deal when Barack Obama became the first U.S. president to openly support gay marriage -- enough for the some to joke that he was "coming out of the closet," so to speak. But Newsweek took it a step further on the cover of this week's issue, dubbing Obama "the first gay president," along with an image of the president under a rainbow halo. It's a striking statement, no matter what side of the conversation you're on. But is it going a little too far?

Andrew Sullivan, an openly gay Newsweek journalist, wrote of Obama's announcement, "Like many others, I braced myself for disappointment. And yet when I watched the interview, the tears came flooding down. The moment reminded me of my own wedding day. I had figured it out in my head, but not my heart. And I was utterly unprepared for how psychologically transformative the moment would be. To have the president of the United States affirm my humanity — and the humanity of all gay Americans — was, unexpectedly, a watershed." Still, was Newsweek's cover a little too risque?

• Tink123 2012/05/14 19:33:12 (edited)
    Tink123
    +26
    LOL - uh, yeah.

Edit -
    I don't know about it being too "risque." But "The first gay president" leaves one with the impression that he himself is gay. Pretty sure that would come as a shock to his wife. lol

• Grammar... Renee Lamb 2012/05/16 07:29:22
    Grammar Freak
    +1
    The first actual gay president was James Buchanan.
    We seem to have survived okay since then.

Our constitution & the president are supposed to protect the rights of every single American, not this one or that one because he or she wears this or that color tie or donates the most money.
    A marriage is a contract. To prevent two willing adults from entering into a contract, because of personal bias is unconstitutional.

This is, the first truly presidential thing he's done that I can fully support. I have disagreed with just about every one of his actions up to this point.
    Mr. Obama's statement did not slap anyone. What it did was to support a level playing field for all people's personal, private right to enter into a legal contract. A marriage certificate is issued by the government. Government has no right to prevent anyone from entering into a contract (who is of legal age & is of his/her free will). A marriage certificate does not force a church to perform a wedding ceremony. Were government to force churches to perform wedding ceremonies, that would be an infringement of the right to believe as one chooses. But the issuance of a license should not have any race, creed, color, status or orientation barriers.

Genuine Conservatives do not bother too much about the personal affai...&&&
    &

Genuine Conservatives do not bother too much about the personal affairs of others & do not believe that the federal government should be involved in the personal affairs of the citizenry. Do not be confused between Conservatives & Neoconservatives. Neoconservatives (the bulk of the Republican Party) are interested in controlling the personal lives & actions of the general public via legislation based on their own personal beliefs.
    It would behoove everyone if Neoconservatives would stop calling themselves Conservatives. They are not. They do not behave conservatively in government nor generally in their private lives. Learn the differences & then identify yourself appropriately.
  • WBC_Sux Grammar... 2012/05/16 10:39:23 (edited)
    WBC_Sux
    Funny, where were all the Ku Klux Klannies raging after they found out Jefferson bedded his slaves? Oh right, in order for them to discover said information they would first have to learn how to read.. and even then they would just chalk it up to "liberal propaganda," just like how Jefferson and all the other forefathers of Uhmurrica were good, wholesome God-fearin' folks. All that stuff about Jefferson thinking Christianity was "like all religions, founded upon myths and fables" was made up by Dawkins.
  • Grammar... WBC_Sux 2012/05/16 20:09:44
    Grammar Freak
    What does any of that have to do with the question or with my comment?
  • WBC_Sux Renee Lamb 2012/05/16 10:32:28 (edited)
    WBC_Sux
    Obvious Phelps Phag is obvious.
    Tell Grandpappy Fred and Psycho Shirley that I said hello.
  • Postchevelle 2012/05/16 01:37:28
    Postchevelle
    +3
    No, because his policies are all gay and misguided.
  • WBC_Sux Postche... 2012/05/17 05:19:32 (edited)
    WBC_Sux
    So even Christians hate Fred Phelps?
    Crap, that means we have something in common...
  • blackness 2012/05/16 01:26:36
    blackness
    +2
    I'm a Christian and will always be. I'll stick to my beliefs no matter what anyone thinks. I don't care about people bullying me either. The bullying will not work because I have God Oh Mighty in my corner plus I know right from wrong. No weapons formed against me shall prosper.
  • Grammar... blackness 2012/05/16 07:31:44
    Grammar Freak
    Yeah, your avatar shows a real "picture of Christianity."
    If anyone is forming weapons against you, it's you.
  • blackness Grammar... 2012/05/21 05:58:23
    blackness
    ok!
  • hrailey 2012/05/16 01:26:21
    hrailey
    +2
    They got tons of attention for the magazine! Captured the President's empathy for the cause.
  • Pete 2012/05/16 01:17:11
    Pete
    +2
    The description "gay president" can be interpreted in different ways. Since Obama clearly identified himself as at least a supporter of the gay community, the Newsweek description is appropo and accurate. But I think the whole "gay" uproar is a stratagem to distract voters from the real issue: the fact that this country is falling apart economically. I'm more concerned about the fact that Obama is a "big spender" than whether or not he is a gay person. "It's the economy, stupid!"
  • ShamshirMkII 2012/05/16 01:03:26
    ShamshirMkII
    +3
    Hell, it looks cheap -_-'
  • safari 2012/05/16 00:59:00
    safari
    +4
    It didn't go far enough. I think it should have also shown the picture of larry sinclair and the dead gay guy from his church whose mother came out and said she feels her son is dead due to an obama tryst cover up.
  • Ahlana 2012/05/16 00:50:13
    Ahlana
    +1
    Who cares?
  • Tre 2012/05/16 00:45:20
    Tre
    +1
    Yeah, because he is not gay.
  • Bob DiN Tre 2012/05/16 05:49:55
    Bob DiN
    I think he's Bi.
  • Tre Bob DiN 2012/05/16 18:57:01
    Tre
    I don't know. I don't know what Bi tendencies to look for to tell.
  • Bob DiN Tre 2012/05/16 23:26:50
    Bob DiN
    Larry Sinclair says he is.
  • 2cents 2012/05/16 00:24:57
    2cents
    +2
    Low rent!
  • mario 2012/05/16 00:15:02
    mario
    +2
    Have you ever thought that a person that you love son /daughter can turn out to be gay? I just wonder what you are going to do know.
  • Karina 2012/05/16 00:13:54
    Karina
    +2
    'First Gay President' means he's Gay? Immature, Newsweek.
  • Grammar... Karina 2012/05/16 07:33:28
    Grammar Freak
    Yeah, especially since the first gay president was James Buchanan.
  • Call me... Grammar... 2012/05/17 20:14:29
    Call me Mark willya?
    And J. Edgar Hoover was supposedly a cross dresser.
  • Grammar... Call me... 2012/05/17 22:21:35
    Grammar Freak
    ...& your point?
  • Call me... Grammar... 2012/05/21 02:08:09
    Call me Mark willya?
    Didn't really have one just think it's funny, that whole theory was based on another theory that the Mafia was blackmailing him....
  • Grammar... Call me... 2012/05/21 09:58:29
  • Call me Mark willya? 2012/05/16 00:05:47
    Call me Mark willya?
    +1
    I support gay marriage, my eldest daughter is gay and I support anything that will make her happy. Does that make me gay? Don't answer here, I'll tell you the same thing I would tell the editor, publisher, owner of Newsweek stand in front of me and say it, don't hide behind your magazine...
  • jayteah Call me... 2012/05/16 03:44:44
    jayteah
    +1
    I'll tell you to your face and anyone else's that being a homosexual is wrong if you ask me what I think , I have a Homosexual cousin , I love the guy , and he knows how I stand on the issue if asked . He knows I view it as an abominable sin against GOD. He also knows that I feel the same way with hetero adulterers and fornicators . He also knows that I believe all people fall short and sin , we need Christ to show us ALLLLLL the way . I hate no one , but I believe the Scripture and I believe we all must be aware of the sin our Lord hates and what we must answer for. We are all born into sin and must seek Jesus Christ to be forgiven , following Christ's lead will turn us away from our sins , we may not become sinless , but we will sin less following him.
  • Grammar... jayteah 2012/05/16 07:48:47
    Grammar Freak
    But your personal belief is yours. You are fully entitled to it.
    The point is that marriage licenses are issued by government, not churches. So the government preventing two adults from voluntarily entering into a legal contract is unconstitutional. The President's job is to protect the rights of all citizens, whether or not you or he agrees with them. You see, even though he is black, Mr. Obama must also protect the rights of members of the Aryan Nation, the KKK, etc. because they have the right in our nation, under our constitution to think & believe & live as they choose... right up to the point that they injure someone else... at that point their rights end. The same goes for marriage. As long as government is involved in marriage, it cannot discriminate between adults entering into it of their own free will.

As for God: Let's just let God sort it out, shall we? I don't feel comfortable entrusting judgment of so-called sins to mortals. Jesus said to love all the children, not this or that one. Everyone is a sinner & Jesus loved everyone. The premise of Christianity is to emulate Jesus & follow his teachings. Jesus didn't hate anyone. So, it would be best to allow God to sort out the particulars, not us.

We have a civil code of conduct in our nation that everyone has...&

We have a civil code of conduct in our nation that everyone has to abide by. So, unless a person breaks the law, we need to just leave them alone whether we agree with their lifestyle or not. I love my constitution & believe that it should be allowed to rule our land, not individuals.
  • jayteah Grammar... 2012/05/16 16:26:50
    jayteah
    SO apparently you believe the Word of GOD should be ignored , I would agree with you if I thought GOD was just a myth , matter of fact I would say your statement was well said if GOD was a myth . But I believe he isn't a myth , though Christ loves us all , he will also judge us all. When one accepts Christ they generally strive to follow his teachings , which he did tell us how to live and through the Apostle Paul Christ in Romans Chapter one did speak against Homosexuality . Christ told Paul he would use him as a vessel to get his message out Roman's Chapter one is part of that message.
  • Grammar... jayteah 2012/05/16 20:33:45
    Grammar Freak
    Read your bible.
    Christ didn't judge anyone. Christ loved everyone.
    Leave the judging up to God & be as much like Christ as you possibly can... if you're a Christian.

Now, regarding our laws:
    The United States is a secular nation Our nation might have been formed by religious men & of religious principals, but it is still a secular nation. Our constitution was beautifully written to ensure that people of all beliefs (including lack of belief) would be protected equally. (The only thing I can say personally about The President's statement is that it's about time.)

So, that being said, if you are morally opposed to homosexual marriage, the best thing for you to do is not marry someone of your own gender. But the worst thing you can do (in both the eyes of the law as well as the eyes of Christ) is to judge someone else for his/her choice to do so. It isn't your job. Your job is to be the best person you can be, which does not mean judging others. You might look at someone & decide you do not want to be like him/her, therefore you do not do as he/she does. But it's a good idea to leave the judging up to someone actually qualified to do it. Jesus didn't feel qualified, so how the hell can you possibly think you are?

If you don't like the idea that government protect everyone equally, without discrimination, you are, I'm afraid, living in the wrong nation.
  • WBC_Sux Grammar... 2012/05/17 05:40:19 (edited)
  • Grammar... WBC_Sux 2012/05/17 12:34:24
    Grammar Freak
    I agree completely.
  • WBC_Sux jayteah 2012/05/17 05:32:29 (edited)
  • WBC_Sux jayteah 2012/05/17 05:27:57 (edited)
  • WBC_Sux Call me... 2012/05/17 05:22:49
    WBC_Sux
    Bigot logic works that way, so to them, yes...
    also being for black civil rights makes you a n*gg*r.
    And -not- being a holocaust denier makes you a Jew.
  • John "By God" American 2012/05/15 23:48:26
    John "By God" American
    +3
    They told the truth for once...
  • Texas Gal 2012/05/15 23:46:32
    Texas Gal
    +4
    He wanted attention and he's gotten it.
  • Donald Gifford 2012/05/15 23:43:29
    Donald Gifford
    +2
    Why are people so afraid of gay people and so stuck on other peoples opinions?
    Are their lives so mundane that they have to attack those who take a stand.
  • Pistol 2012/05/15 23:39:32
    Pistol
    He is a hero to all gays.

2014/10/23 09:34:18