New Program Allows Parents to Read Their Kids Text Messages - Is This a Infringement on Privacy?

Kelllzerz 2008/10/22 18:17:53
Yes, I think Text Guard is a infringement on privacy.
No, I think Text Guard is a good program to watch what my kid is doing.
I think Text Guard...
A new program called Text Guard is being released which enables parents to read text messages and emails on their child's cell phone, as well as block callers they do not want their children to be talking to . How it works is the parents download the program to the cell phone, and then set up an account online. When the parent logs onto the website, they can see all incoming and outgoing calls as well as email, texts. and mobile browsing history of their child's cell phone. The phone can also track the child with a GPS program.

The program costs about $11.00 a month for a certain amount of data, if the parent would like to keep more data on their child the cost will go up.

Do you think that Text Guard is a infringement on kid's privacy?

• SparkleyPie 2008/10/23 15:47:48
    SparkleyPie
    +8
    I wouldn't use it. I trust my kids and want them to trust me. How is reading their text messages any different than reading their diary?

• HisOnlyShawtyx3 2011/05/08 14:25:13
    I think Text Guard...
    HisOnlyShawtyx3
    I think Text Guard can be both helpful and invasive. What kids text a lot of the time, is PRIVATE. If it wasn't, they would call their friend on the phone or shout it to them across the room or something similar to that. It's not that they are trying to hide something, it's just they have the right to keep some aspects of their lives private. Are parents 100% honest with their child all the time? I highly doubt that. I text my friends all the time, and what we text is meant for our eyes only, or else why would we bother texting it? Parents who get this must really lack communication with their child and must have not raised them right, causing them to grow up and the parents having little to no trust in them. Plenty of kids are not hiding anything, they just like privacy, yet their parents inisist on getting this. Excuse me, do you really think you screwed your child up that much that they need to be monitored on a 24/7 basis? For parents, if you believe you have raised your child right, tought them right from wrong, given them strong moral values, then why do you need to spy on them? They have obviously been given the right tools to make good decisions. Now, granted, some kids take advantage of their parents' trust and end up going down the wrong path, so I think that if they...
    I think Text Guard can be both helpful and invasive. What kids text a lot of the time, is PRIVATE. If it wasn't, they would call their friend on the phone or shout it to them across the room or something similar to that. It's not that they are trying to hide something, it's just they have the right to keep some aspects of their lives private. Are parents 100% honest with their child all the time? I highly doubt that. I text my friends all the time, and what we text is meant for our eyes only, or else why would we bother texting it? Parents who get this must really lack communication with their child and must have not raised them right, causing them to grow up and the parents having little to no trust in them. Plenty of kids are not hiding anything, they just like privacy, yet their parents inisist on getting this. Excuse me, do you really think you screwed your child up that much that they need to be monitored on a 24/7 basis? For parents, if you believe you have raised your child right, tought them right from wrong, given them strong moral values, then why do you need to spy on them? They have obviously been given the right tools to make good decisions. Now, granted, some kids take advantage of their parents' trust and end up going down the wrong path, so I think that if they are under suspicion, have a history of bad behavior/decisions, or appear to be going down the wrong path, then they do need to be monitored to a certain extent. Although, if your child is really THAT bad, there are other steps you can take to guide them back on the right path. Try talking to them, for one. Or get someone who the kid is close with to talk to them, perhaps another family member? A lot of kids have problems that stem from lack of communication. Overall, before you go out and get this, for the most part, unnesscary program, just talk with your kids. Communicate. Be honest with them, show them you have trust and faith in them. That will allow them to see they can be open with you about matters that they need to be open with you about, and you won't need to worry about monitoring their texts. They will tell you what is necessary for you to know, but don't push it. Everyone in the world has the right to keep some things private. Remember that.
  • kylie 2011/04/20 23:44:08
    kylie
    some parents do not realize that a kids whole trust and life is in their friends and phone sipmly beacause we can not talk to them, so if they want to figure out things like this they should talk to us about it and ask. We say things over texts because it is a private matter and it should be kept that way. you should trust your child and not peek into their outside life because unfortunately life oputside of home is the only life we have. you would not want your parents looking at all the things you ssaid and finding out the bad things you did when you were a kid so dont do it to us. texting can get extreme but watching them is not stopping it
  • Montana12 2010/08/23 16:29:31
    Montana12
    +3
    You all have to realize that this world isn't the same as it used to be. The level of morality and common sense have taken a nosedive. I think that Text Guard should be used to moniter the association your child is around. You may not necessarliy be a bad parent, but when it comes to others who influence your child, don't you think that it would be a good thing to make sure they associate with quality friends? You would, if you really cared about having the best for your kid. But every kid is different. In some cases, you may not have to use Text Guard at all; with others, maybe an few times if something serious arises; and with yet others, you may have to constantly be checking on them. All in all, this really is a great program to use to keep your child on the straight path as well as you can! It all depends on who your child associates with, which starts even at an early, early age. Make sure that they have the right friends right off the bat, and you probably won't have to worry about even having to use this program too much. Parents, you aren't the only influences... make sure that you get an early start on being the influence your kid will look for in others.
  • Mossy Green Eyes 2010/04/13 19:25:03
    Mossy Green Eyes
    +2
    My mother has talked many times about getting a program such as this and monitoring my text messages. And it ticks me off. You should have the right to keep some things private, if you choose to send something in a text to someone instead of calling and taking the chance of someone overhearing, its obvious that its a private matter and should be KEPT private. In cases such as sexting or talking about illegal behavior, and you have reason to believe that they are doing so, then i do agree that you should be able to monitor there messages and phone calls. But if your child has never given you need to worry about such things, then "spying" on them is completely unacceptable.

I'm a fifteen year old girl, what teen girl do you know that wants their parents to know when they're gossiping about boys or talking about personal things such as having their period? Its akward, and if your parent knows what your texting, everyone else in your family know will probably find out as well. In families such as mine, nothing is ever kept a secret and these things are generally taken as an opportunity to tease you and make you miserable. Its the reason i haven't written in a diary in years, because if people have access to your personal information they will almost always snoop, even if they shouldn't.
  • kylie Mossy G... 2011/04/20 23:34:20
    kylie
    +1
    you go girl, i am sixteen and fully agree with your accusation. if there are things i want to keep from my parents i would do it over a text just to make sure they dont hear. but we kids do need to know that if you dont want someone to find out what your texting or saying than simply do not say it at all. some parents are obsessive and would love to know about his pragram but that does make them good parents in a way other adults would see. if they were kids would they want their parents to have this pragram, PUT YOURSELF I OUR SHOES FOR ONCE!!!!!!!
  • Jennife... kylie 2012/03/16 16:10:34
    Jennifer Taylor
    +1
    How about when you grow up, move out, have a job, and pay your own cell phone bill do you tell your parents that they have no right reading you texts. "It Is What It Is". My house, my bill, my right. And by the way. I was in your spoiled shoes once. Took the same attitude. Ended up with a baby at 18 cause I told my mom" just trust me". And she did! Now that my daughter is 16 Trust my behind.
  • seashelled 2010/03/29 17:29:25
    seashelled
    +1
    Oh well, the diary is a lot different. The diary is private to all. The text message is qute the opposite. The text message can lure preditors and give them easy acess. My daughter and I were very close and I never worried about it until one day I found a cutters picture...blood pouring fown his arm. It was then that my daughter herself tried cutting/ Two years of therapy to overcome what texting resiulted in
  • mialvarez 2010/02/15 16:53:16
    mialvarez
    +3
    kids would tell us that our parents didnt look at out personal stuff why should we look at theirs .we should trust our kids and a kid knowing that their parents don't trust them and looks at them differently feels sad ,i know because i had this happening in my life i did a big mistake and i was only 13 and i lost my mom trust my dad looked at me differently and my mom always rubbed it in my face i trust my kids and tell them their always consequences in things we do and that we should always think twice b4 doing something we are going to regret in life
  • Jade 2009/11/22 20:25:23
    Jade
    its a disgusting way for parents to try and control ever move their child makes. i think parents need to have an open relationship with their child so he/she feels safe enough to come to them. just because technology gives all of these ways to spy doesnt mean a child should be able to make their own mistakes
  • katie Jade 2011/11/11 21:11:36
    katie
    +1
    NO! whats Disgusting is the fact that there are predators out there on the internet talking to your kids and convincing them to give them their numbers, so they can text your kids. once that happens let the mind games begin. they will convince your kids to do the things we as their parents (thought) we taught them well enough not to do, but end up doing them. There's most definitely a limit when it come to letting your kids make their own mistakes, aka ( boys friends, girlfriends, dropping out of school, trying drugs)however when it can potentially harm them its a whole different ballgame I nor any other parent is willing to take..as simple as text messaging they are still dangerous.well Mr or miss whom ever you may be, that's not a mistake any parent is willing to take.. DO YOU?..I for one would rather have my son and daughters angry at me for invading their trust and privacy than take their word on things because kids as we know stretch the truth about everything,but at least they will be here to be mad, than me crying that I didn't do everything i could to prevent it from happening in the begin with.We were all kids at one point and we know and thought it was so cool to get away with things and to keep information from are parents, well i learned from that. I had a f...
    NO! whats Disgusting is the fact that there are predators out there on the internet talking to your kids and convincing them to give them their numbers, so they can text your kids. once that happens let the mind games begin. they will convince your kids to do the things we as their parents (thought) we taught them well enough not to do, but end up doing them. There's most definitely a limit when it come to letting your kids make their own mistakes, aka ( boys friends, girlfriends, dropping out of school, trying drugs)however when it can potentially harm them its a whole different ballgame I nor any other parent is willing to take..as simple as text messaging they are still dangerous.well Mr or miss whom ever you may be, that's not a mistake any parent is willing to take.. DO YOU?..I for one would rather have my son and daughters angry at me for invading their trust and privacy than take their word on things because kids as we know stretch the truth about everything,but at least they will be here to be mad, than me crying that I didn't do everything i could to prevent it from happening in the begin with.We were all kids at one point and we know and thought it was so cool to get away with things and to keep information from are parents, well i learned from that. I had a friend killed by another friend on homecoming night because they thought it was funny to lye to their parents about were they were and and what they were doing, so they got into a car drunk and hit a tree head on. i also had a friends daughter who met this man online telling her hes 16 , He asked her for her cell number and she stupidly trusted him and gave it him. he called her and text her, about 3 weeks later he finally convinced her to sneak out and come meet him and he ended up rapping her and then taking her life. so to this note.. its not a chance I'm willing to take. and its not Disgusting to make sure your kids are safe from harm.. whats is DISGUSTING is the fact that you thinks its okay for kids to hide info from their parents... i'm beginning to wonder if you are a one of those adults who think they are their kids best friend instead of their parents and if that's the case ill pray for you
  • Laolanii 2009/11/08 02:53:24
    I think Text Guard...
    Laolanii
    I think that Text Guard is for parents that don't know their children well enough, so they must revert to spying on them to know what they're doing. Concerned parents, you don't need to get this program! Just sit down and talk to your child. Technology is making us forget the times we could just talk about things with our children, and now it is encouraging us to spy on them through the computer! Think about this: if you are able to know what your child texts through the internet, then who else is able to see it? There are internet hackers. There are people that will take advantage of this and hurt your family. Don't let these people have this access to your children.
  • carmella 2009/08/12 13:44:05
    carmella
    +1
    suppose text guard is being used for monitoring not only your childrens text messages but everyone else's messages in the household????
  • Sarah 2009/08/01 01:18:15
    I think Text Guard...
    Sarah
    +5
    This is completely ignorant. This program is just ridiculous.
  • carmella Sarah 2009/08/12 13:39:44
    carmella
    +2
  • Sarah carmella 2009/08/23 00:30:14
    Sarah
    Why would I be worried about everyone else's text messages? That's annoying.
  • Michelle 2009/08/01 00:05:35
    Michelle
    Do you seriously think this program will stop kids from doing what they are doing? Some kids don't care, and they're going to keep doing it. Do you seriously think you're kid is going to think its 'sweet' that you're reading throught their private conversations? If my mum and dad put me through that, I'd dislike them when it came to that conversation. What you really need to do is trust your kid and talk to them. Tell them if they are talking about bad things, then just don't get pregnant or someone else pregnant. You're kids will never trust you 100% if they find out you've been looking through they're personal life. Kids don't even like it if you ask them questions.
    You have to open up, tell them whats right and whats wrong, and maybe if you're child is smart enough, they'll understand its wrong.
    But parents who end up using this program are even worse.
  • kenny Michelle 2010/01/17 05:26:49
    kenny
    +2
    Ok this is my problem wcant you just buy this and add sum1s call that's i I font know
  • Austin Michelle 2010/02/19 07:30:09
  • Vicki Law 2009/07/21 22:48:01
    Vicki Law
    I would have never expected to read my kids' text messages. I trusted him. Until last night when I over-heard some things that made me realize he was in trouble. I confiscated his cell phone, which I pay good money for, and realized from his text messages that I need to intervene in his goings-on. Today my answer is different than it would have been yesterday and hopefully, with my intervention, my kid's life will be a little easier than the road he'd been heading down.
  • kylie Vicki Law 2011/04/20 23:38:58
    kylie
    +2
    LETS BE HONEST HERE. im sure there were somethings you said and did when you were a kid that you did not wants your parents to know about. now it is different when you have a bad child but at least talk to them about it intead of assume that you need to peek, if there is a gut feeling intide of you such as guilt when you are reading that means dont do it.
  • JACE 2009/07/15 13:33:15
    JACE
    +3
    Yeah, this is a total privacy infringement.
    Some of you people are saying "Well, if your kids are putting password locks on their phone, then they're probably doing something bad and parents should be able to view the messages."
    Look, just cause you don't want people reading your texts, doesn't mean you have something to hide. Its private and should be treated as such
    Its like undressing or using the toilet, Is there anything bad about it? No. Is there anything shameful about it? No. But if I told you that from now on, every time you had to get dressed or use the toilet, your mom and dad had to watch. I don't think you'd enjoy that.
    Its the same basic principle. Let your kids text people in private.
    Don't be a non-trusting parent. Your kids WILL hate you for it.
  • Austin JACE 2010/02/19 07:31:57
  • Meg 2009/06/24 21:47:17
    Meg
    +2
    I just found out my mom was monitoring my texts because she was talking to a lot of her friends one of which told her son, one of my friends. I thought my parents trusted me but apparently not, and now i don't trust them. This is deffinately an invasion of privacy and it's just like reading someone elses mail, isn't that illegal??
  • mo 2009/05/23 04:37:55
    mo
    I believe as a parent trust is so important in the relationship with our teenage sons/daughters. If we start snooping around what kind of example are we setting? We raised 3 daughters and 2 sons, and trust was continually discussed in our family. Of course we have to protect our kids, but if we have open communication with them, so many problems can be eliminated in the family. I strongly believe that and have, as a parent, experienced it. I do not wear "rose colored glasses" and am aware kids will try and fool us if they can if they want to hide something, but that is where the communication comes in and is the key to family success. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to respond, even though I am months behind most others regards this question!
  • mandamassacre 2009/05/23 04:25:32 (edited)
    mandamassacre
    +2
    I believe that this so called 'Text Guard' is a very infuriating program, which I'm peeved at. No, this is not just because I'm a teenager under 18, but also because it is a total outrage. I'm only fourteen, and if my parents wanted to know what I'm saying/doing when I'm not with them, all they have to do is ask and I'll tell them.

I for one can say that I wouldn't have a strong relationship with my parents if I found out that they snooped around, didn't trust me, and felt the need to take such actions to see what I'm doing. As I said, they could just ask me and they'll know the truth.

I know that a lot of teenagers are getting into drugs, sex, and illegal activities, but I believe that a good parent would actually know if their kids are waltzing around with bad behavior, and because of that, such actions such as Safe Guard are needed. Because most kids aren't necessarily like that, although, parents should trust their kids and kids should give equal respect to their parents. That's just my opinion though.
  • monkey 2009/05/20 19:39:45
    monkey
    Here's the thing. A diary is the kid's private thoughts, meant only for the kid's eyes. I think it is safe to say they are not using their diary to communicate with friends. So lets throw that argument out the window.

If your kid is using the text to communicate about things that they ought not be involved in, like ditching class, having sex, doing drugs or drinking, or sneaking out at night, a parent should have that information, all for the kid's protection. A parent is responsible for their child's safety and well-being, not to mention legally responsible for their activities, until they are 18.

To those who say "trust your kid," I say.... If a child is sneaking the phone into the bathroom to secretely text, putting lock codes on the phone, or deleting their text messages so you the parent cannot read them on the phone, they clearly are proving that they have something to hide and cannot be trusted.

This is why a tool like text guard is needed. With all the lip service the phone companies pay to the idea of parental controls and child protection, you would think they would automatically provide this. Instead they preach about privacy concerns and demand court orders if you want to see the text messages you are paying for.
  • Righteo... monkey 2011/01/31 11:03:42
    Righteous Advocate
    +2
    You all are incredibility insane not to trust your kids to send whatever they want via text message or e-mail. I'm sure if you were in their situation you would love it if your parents checked up on you 24/7. What teenagers do is their own business, you have no right to stick your nose into their own business without them specifically telling you their problems. Its obvious you have a trust issues with your child. Reading their message is like reading a letter from your day and age. I'm sure your parents didn't read your letters, so butt out of their business. If i need my parents advise on a situation or drama I tell them, I don't need them reading my text messages and coming up with their own assumptions about my friends. Texts can be impersonal and hard to judge of character so having an outsider view it is highly biased. If you honestly need to spy on your own kids, its very obvious they do not trust you with their problems and that you are a very sad and bored person, so I can totally understand why they do not trust you. If I had a parent who did this to me, it would be insufferable, plus all my friends would know about it and it would be embarrassing. So congrats on socially killing your teenager and I hope they come up with a code for talking to bypass your tyranny.

An...

And as for all the people who have kids who have done sex-texting, cutting themselves etc. I'm sorry but it shows that they STILL didn't trust u enough to tell u their problems and took it out on themselves, they could also have done it on purpose to spite you, same with failing grades. The reality of this whole thing, no matter how u look at it. Is that your kids do not trust you, or that you or school has messed them up, maybe if you spent more time with your kids as they were growing up or stopped arguing with your spouse in front of them they wouldn't be so messed up and may have good values. Kids are kids and things affect them, looking at their texts will just make them pissed off and not want to be home coz they can't have a decent conversation with anyone, because your spying on them. Whats next? Are you going to monitor and record their phone calls? Or are u already doing that.
    Get your act together and have a heart to heart, figure out why your kids hate you, and try to make up all the lost time and continual lost time with them. How can they love someone whose not even there.

Kids need someone to talk to when parents are being pig-headed and not understanding them or being empathetic by putting them in their shoes. How can they feel safe talking to someone like their friends about it, if your monitoring it. And come on, E-mails? Honestly, your going to spy on e-mails, which are very personal. Honestly if you raised your child right, they would come to you for help. If you were there for them, they would feel comfortable telling you. If you weren't then they feel more comfortable telling a friend. If you screwed up ur kid take them to a psychologist. Either way spying on them does not help. In fact, spying on them makes them angry, which makes them want to get back at you in some way, which could make the situation even worse, and if they are screwed up already, who knows you could get them to commit suicide. You think just because your a parent you have the right, that your auto-matically right because your older, that you know how to keep preditors away, that you know how it is cause you have been there. Dream on. This is a new age in technology, you have not been there. Your day and age was paper, and u certainly didn't have a creepy parent check on u. Also, preditors, what a joke, its a CELL PHONE, the only people who would have your number is ppl you have given it to. And if your child gave their number to some creepy 40-80 year old man or woman, then again you didn't teach them moral values correctly.

All I have to say is i'm glad I don't have creepy parents who try to monopolize me and put me in some prison room with cushions and all white surroundings. You will drive your kids insane. They need to experience life. They need to know their wrong. They do not need you to even look at their texts and say "you were right for telling that girl off" blah blah, coz that will give them a big ego, and it'll happen again and again until they become so full of themself and everyone should bow down or they are so perfect and the best, so self-centered and live in their own world. Reality is differents, friends and relationships are two-way streets. Not three-way or one-way.

Think about if your parents would do this to you, or have done it to you and how you felt or would feel. Thats empathy people.
  • lirael 2009/05/19 20:39:06
    lirael
    the way i think is that if you give something to sombody under or above 18 you have no right to add, view, or delete something related to that item.
  • 1984 Anti big brother 2009/02/23 13:52:54
    1984 Anti big brother
    This country is continuing to find ways to allow technology to do their work for them. Raise your children with the smarts and abilities to handle situations and you won't have to "babysit" them for their whole lives
  • superduper 2009/02/10 05:09:13 (edited)
    superduper
    +3
    Many people are posting that it is the parent's right to read their kid's text messages if they are paying for the phone. However, this statement is somewhat misleading as it fails to address the deception being committed. If a business has a public restroom, do you think it would be right for them to have hidden cameras in it?

After all, if you want to use the bathroom and have privacy, you should be using a bathroom you maintain yourself, right?

While people do have the right to control what they are paying for, one does not have the right to be deceptive about it. If you are going to purchase text guard and use it to monitor someone, you should tell them beforehand what you are doing. Even if you aren't outright lying to him/her, you hare still deceiving them by omission. Of course s/he's going to assume that you're not going to be reading his/her text messages, and by knowingly allowing them to continue believing in a false assumption, you might as well be lying them.

Having the right to monitor and control doesn't give you the right to deceive. If you do that, then you are doing exactly what you are trying to stop your kids from doing.

Also, while some teenagers are hiding things from their parents, sometimes they are things that SHOULD be hidden from their parents. I have ...'

Also, while some teenagers are hiding things from their parents, sometimes they are things that SHOULD be hidden from their parents. I have a friend who was a lesbian. Living in a traditional Indian household, it was for her benefit to hide her sexual orientation. One day her dad found out that she had a girlfriend. I will spare you guys the details of how he punished her, but I'm sure that you can guess what he did to her.
  • Austin superduper 2010/02/19 07:33:22
  • victoria 2009/02/06 20:26:51
    victoria
    I would never read there texts messages the government already can and is...
  • ItDon'tMatter 2009/01/08 08:25:03 (edited)
    ItDon'tMatter
    Trust is a great thing to share and it is a give and take issue. However when it comes to who pays the bill on this text messaging I think the parents have any right they deem necessary. A diary is a book in which one places there thoughts and well a phone is used to communicate back and forth. It is not a diary! Parents are now days held accountable for the actions of there kids and well if they are out of control then it only seems simple to track them and know what they are up to. If your one of those parents that allows there kids privacy while they do as they wish without your knowledge all the more power to you. Until they are 18 they are the responsibility of the parents and if knowing what they do is a safe and comfortable feeling for any parent I say go for it. I have no need to hide anything from my children so there is no need for them to hide anything from me. I AM THE ADULT! If I am tracking there actions they will know I am doing so. If they do not like it then they do not need there cell phone texting period! I do not need to hide behind the fact I am tracking them as I will flat out tell them...lol...
    Remember something...Honesty is something you teach your kids. If you let them know your doing this it is no different than the city telling you there installing cameras around to watch for criminal activity. If your honest you have nothing to worry about, Right?
  • soaringeagle 2008/11/09 19:55:05
    I think Text Guard...
    soaringeagle
    Text guard can be good and bad. Yes, it's infringement on privacy, but some kids need their privacy infringed on. If a kid is known to be not obedient, hang with wrong crowd, get in trouble, then hell yea, stick that program on. If the kid is a decent kid, then it's not so needed.

Yes I know that this judgement can get into the fact that "well good kids are the ones to watch out for more, they are the ones that do the most unexpected." while this is true at times, there are always signs to if this kind of thing will happen. But personally, until a kid moves out and becomes a legal adult on his/her own, they are still under the care of their parents and their parents are in charge of their protection even if it means watching their texts and phone calls.
  • Sierra 2008/11/09 19:21:23
    Sierra
    if your kid finds out that you are using it then they won't trust you when you tell them stuff!
  • soaring... Sierra 2008/11/09 19:59:46
    soaringeagle
    If a kid has nothing to hide, then they shouldn't worry about if their parents are watching. I wouldn't have minded when I was younger my parents watching, cause I didn't have anything to hide in my texts. So if a kid uses that as a reason, then most likely they have something they are hiding.
  • monkey 2008/11/06 16:20:10
    monkey
    haha i think this is BULL-SHIT!!!!
  • Shane - oldschoolelf 2008/11/02 15:28:26
    Shane - oldschoolelf
    If we don't start trusting them, why should they trust us.
  • Fae 2008/11/01 20:52:59
    Fae
    In today's world of wierdo's... it IS a necessary evil to safe guard your loved ones.
  • Shooter1001 2008/10/30 17:58:16 (edited)

2014/04/18 05:44:26