Netflix CEO Says Rich People Like Him Need To Be Taxed More. Do You Agree?

YoungGrasshopper 2009/02/08 02:00:03
Absolutely!  The rich need to pay more!
No!  The Rich People Need Their Money!
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/06/opinion/06hastings.html?_r=...

I’M the chief executive of a publicly traded company and, like my peers, I’m very highly paid. The difference between salaries like mine and those of average Americans creates a lot of tension, and I’d like to offer a suggestion. President Obama should celebrate our success, rather than trying to shame us or cap our pay. But he should also take half of our huge earnings in taxes, instead of the current one-third.

Then, the next time a chief executive earns an eye-popping amount of money, we can cheer that half of it is going to pay for our soldiers, schools and security. Higher taxes on huge pay days can finance opportunity for the next generation of Americans.

• T 2009/03/17 17:10:14
    T
    In my humble view, those people who initiate, support or otherwise encourage government programs not explicitly provided for in the United States Constitutional, should pay 100% of their income which exceeds the average household income ( approx. $50,000) to the IRS to pay for THEIR favored programs.
  • OttoDog 2009/03/10 17:36:06
    OttoDog
    +1
    There's absolutely nothing preventing any of these guys (Buffett, Soros, the NetFilx guy) from stroking as fat a check as they care to the U.S. Treasury, if they feel so inclined. With a little thought, maybe they'd do like so many others in their income bracket do and choose where their voluntary contribution to the public good should go, i.e., charity, and simply cut out the middle man and let their money do the most good by directing it there.
  • T OttoDog 2009/03/17 17:12:46 (edited)
    T
    It is interesting that not long ago, Buffett chose to make a substantial tax-deductible contribution to the Gates Foundation. Apparently Buffett does not trust the government--no argument there!
  • Santa 2009/03/10 15:46:27
    Santa
    If he is that stupid, sure, tax the hell out of him. He can pay my fare share if he wants.
  • AerialRach "In Dog We Trust" 2009/02/14 20:04:05 (edited)
    Absolutely! The rich need to pay more!
    AerialRach "In Dog We Trust"
    I agree with progressive taxation.
  • Chartreuse Dog ~COB 2009/02/12 10:23:44
    Absolutely! The rich need to pay more!
    Chartreuse Dog ~COB
    +2
    If tax cuts for the wealthy work so well to stimulate the economy, how come the economy is not already stimulated from all the Bush tax cuts?
  • T Chartre... 2009/03/17 17:14:22
    T
    What are your views of the Kennedy tax cuts in 1961?
  • crsone 2009/02/11 00:25:49
    Absolutely! The rich need to pay more!
    crsone
    +2
    I'm always delighted when we see another intelligent and sensible rich person
  • Sean... the dark side lied ... 2009/02/09 23:50:41
    Absolutely! The rich need to pay more!
    Sean... the dark side lied about the cookies
    +2
    I think Warren Buffet said this too. I agree!!!
  • Chartre... Sean...... 2009/02/12 10:22:26
    Chartreuse Dog ~COB
    +1
    Yes, he did. He says his clerical staff pays a higher percentage of their income in taxes than he does.
  • 519378 2009/02/09 20:04:53
    Absolutely! The rich need to pay more!
    519378
    +1
    More than one millionaire agrees with this thought.
  • Spizzzo BN-0 2009/02/09 13:04:46
    Spizzzo BN-0
    +1
    They already pay more in their tax bracket than poorer folks. That's fine with me. I'm not sure they need to pay more than that, but it's worth looking at.
  • Chartre... Spizzzo... 2009/02/12 10:21:15
    Chartreuse Dog ~COB
    +1
    That's not as true as it used to be. The top tax rate for dividends and capital gains has been reduced to 15%, and that's the source of most of their income. So now we pay more tax on money we make from work than they pay on money they make from money.
  • Spizzzo... Chartre... 2009/02/12 14:40:47
    Spizzzo BN-0
    Thats true (actually, I'm trusting you have it right, I don't KNOW for myself), but my main point was based on the income tax brackets, which I believe are only two right now. You don't have to be all that rich to get into the upper bracket now, but it IS an income-based higher rate. A similar state income tax rated change rides along with it in my state, as state tax is indexed to federal.

So, what I meant is that I like a progressive tax, and we have one, but increasing the top rates to more than they are now is not a simple question. I'd want it looked at carefully before doing it.
  • Chartre... Spizzzo... 2009/02/12 15:17:01 (edited)
    Chartreuse Dog ~COB
    +1
    Actually, there are 6 tax rates now: 10%, 15%, 25%, 28%, 33%, and 35%; however, taxes on dividends and long term capital gains are calculated separately and capped at 15%. I believe the proposal to rescind the most recent Bush tax cuts, or just let them expire, would result in a top tax rate of 39.6%, instead of 35%.
  • Spizzzo... Chartre... 2009/02/12 22:30:32
    Spizzzo BN-0
    Good info. Do you support such recisions/expirations, or even raising some rates?
  • Chartre... Spizzzo... 2009/02/12 23:22:33
    Chartreuse Dog ~COB
    I would support rescinding the last round of Bush tax cuts at the high end. I would not go so far as to raise taxes above what they were before that last tax cut. I would also support a permanent fix to the AMT problem, something that would be tied to inflation like most provisions of the tax code.
  • Spizzzo... Chartre... 2009/02/13 00:04:28
    Spizzzo BN-0
    Cool. I'm sympathetic to AMT fixes, because it bit me once, as an employee of a dot.com in the boom who sold some stock. It all amounted to under 25k in both income tax and AMT (so it's not only for the rich), but I had to spend a lot of time figuring it, then paying it.
  • UrbanHillbilly 2009/02/09 07:07:33
    Absolutely! The rich need to pay more!
    UrbanHillbilly
    +1
    The amount of money CEO's make is absolutely mind-boggling. This statement sounds like the cross between a feeling of civic responciblity and the fear of a peasant revolt. CEO's don't have such rare talent that they need hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation; that's just common sense. This guy seems happy to give Uncle Sam a larger portion of his wealth, just so long that the government doesn't do anthing to put a curb on his money-making.
  • steve 2009/02/09 02:18:50
    Absolutely! The rich need to pay more!
    steve
    +1
    There in a whole other tax bracket CEO r at the top of list robbing companies
    of profits when there is a financial problem the CEO wages and bounes should
    be the first to go he or she can work for nothing until things are turned around
  • centrust 2009/02/09 02:08:09
    centrust
    I would like to here somebody define what "rich" or "wealthy" is when they talk about taxing people. Warren Buffet is wealthy, but he only draws a $100,000 salary. The next person might make $250,000 a year and have 8 kids. Does that make that person rich?

The tax code is so much more complex than just income. Many people don't realize that the people who make what looks like a kings ransom often have most of their exemptions phased out and many of their deductions and credits phased which effectively increases the amount of taxes they pay. Also, those individuals have to pay the alternative minimum tax.

Also, if the CEO of Netflix thinks that giving all this tax money to the government is going to all go to help the poor of this country, he needs to come out of his fantasy and look at how government really throws away the money.

If he wants to give more of his money, by all means write a check to the IRS voluntarily. For me, I trust that my money will be more wisely spent by me in charity than giving it to a bunch of power hungry, greedy idiots in Washington.
  • Roberto 2009/02/09 01:06:50
  • Moony 2009/02/09 00:25:14
    Absolutely! The rich need to pay more!
    Moony
    I hate rich people.
  • rabbut: patriot squared wit... 2009/02/08 23:54:00 (edited)
    Absolutely! The rich need to pay more!
    rabbut: patriot squared with sugar on top
    +1
    The imbalance of wealth keeps getting greater and the wealthiest gain more power. CEO's are being paid huge sums to run companies into the ground and I don't wan the ultra-rich owning everything including the air I breathe. With taxes the way they are, trust-fund baby is an occupation.
  • concerned 2009/02/08 22:10:15
    Absolutely! The rich need to pay more!
    concerned
    +1
    but I though mccain said lets give tax cuts to the rich ...mccain said lets give tax incresivite to the home buyers ..which right now would be the rich ...unemployed people do not buy homes ....mccain said lets give captials gains a tax cut ..unemplyed people do not have capital gains ...so yeah the rich need to pay more taxes ...the poor are unemployed at the time ha ha ha ha hah a ha
  • Arel 2009/02/08 21:25:18
    Arel
    I think there should be a fair or flat tax rate though I would rather see the fair tax applied.
  • Carl 2009/02/08 21:10:23
    Carl
    +1
    A flat tax needs to be seriously considered in which the first 40K is tax exempt.
  • Manster 2009/02/08 20:22:13
    Absolutely! The rich need to pay more!
    Manster
    +1
    The tax loopholes need to be closed so that everyone bears their fair share of the load.For years, I've been saying that it seems that the middle class worker is bearing an unfair percentage of the tax burden.The poverty striken have nothing to put in the pot, and the very wealthy have the loopholes to avoid paying some taxes!
  • Guess who????? 2009/02/08 17:48:03
    Absolutely! The rich need to pay more!
    Guess who?????
    +1
    if people are rich i think they should pay more
  • Becca 2009/02/08 17:29:43
    Absolutely! The rich need to pay more!
    Becca
    +1
    The rich people have enough money, so they should have to pay more, they get paid too much as it is.
  • boomer 2009/02/08 17:22:17
    No! The Rich People Need Their Money!
    boomer
    +1
    and so do we! we need to get back on sound money, stop our interventionist foreign policies, stop the socialism, and go back to the gold standard. taxing any group of people in the private sector hurts us all... does anyone else get that yet?
  • Joker 23 *I AM THE LAW* 2009/02/08 16:37:48
    Absolutely! The rich need to pay more!
    Joker 23 *I AM THE LAW*
    +1
    There's definatlry enough money in rich america to get us out of our problems. They could easily lighten the load on the poor whom tends to get taxed more.
  • sky blue pink - American 2009/02/08 15:48:59
    Absolutely! The rich need to pay more!
    sky blue pink - American
    +1
    It wouldn't hurt.
  • luigi1- in god we trust 2009/02/08 12:42:07
    luigi1- in god we trust
    +1
    this would just force the rich to shelter more money offshore & keep two set of books.
    the rich don't need any bailouts or new taxes imposed on them. give tax breaks to the wealthy that do create real varifiable jobs.

give the help to the people that count so they can revive the economy. the top 2% can't revive the economy on their own without the other 98%.
  • YoungGr... luigi1-... 2009/02/08 22:18:01
    YoungGrasshopper
    I guess you don't trust in God as much as you say.
  • luigi1-... YoungGr... 2009/02/09 01:06:42
    luigi1- in god we trust
    carter tried taxing the rich. it failed. it will fail again. the rich were forced to cheat on their taxes & hide their money. less taxes were collected from the rich. the feds had to raise the taxes twice on middle class. 22% inflation, 10% unemployment, higher taxes, reduced wages & a prolonged recession were the end results of going after the rich. this is history repeating itself, dude.
  • YoungGr... luigi1-... 2009/02/09 22:32:19
    YoungGrasshopper
    Last I checked, the rich are taxed by more President than Carter.
  • 477777 2009/02/08 08:47:47
    Absolutely! The rich need to pay more!
    477777
    +1
    Fu*^ Yes!!!
  • ««Gingey, the Master Debate... 2009/02/08 04:36:28
    Absolutely! The rich need to pay more!
    ««Gingey, the Master Debater of Þ|-|Дэ†»»
    +1
    Good. It's not like they can't afford it.
  • Nunez Cabeza de Vaca 2009/02/08 03:30:08

2014/09/17 15:33:34