‘National Same Sex Kiss Day’ comes to a Chick-Fil-A near you. Will, and if so how, will you support NSSKD?

Mark In Irvine 2012/07/31 18:36:04
‘National Same Sex Kiss Day’ comes to a Chick-Fil-A near you

Patt Morrison

Protesters hold signs and shout slogans

AFP/AFP/Getty Images

Protesters hold signs and shout slogans outside a Chick-fil-A food truck in a mid-day demonstration organized by the Human Rights Campaign in Washington on 26 July, 2012 after the fast-food firm's president Dan Cathy came out against marriage equality in the United States. The protesters accused Chick-fil-A of a long history of supporting groups that 'demonize' gay and lesbian people. Cathy told a Christian news journal that Americans have invited God's judgement by accepting same-sex marriage.

There are many ways to protest in societies in which citizens have the rights to do so. In the turbulent 1960s in America, many groups staged “sit-ins” to protest things like the Vietnam War, equal rights and other issues.

In 2011, The Occupy movement staged another version of such opposition by camping out in parks and government buildings.

In the wake of Atlanta-based fast food chain Chick-Fil-A’s CEO Dan Cathy’s statements in opposition to gay marriage last week, political activist Carly McGehee decided to stage a newer, more amorous kind of protest.

It’s called “National Same Sex Kiss Day,” and the event encourages same sex couples to go to a Chick-Fil-A restaurant this Friday night at 8 p.m. and kiss.

Cathy’s statements set off a firestorm of controversy with opposing groups threatening boycotts and events in support of Chick-Fil-A.

The Mayors of Chicago and Boston made public statements that the popular chicken fast food restaurants were not welcome in their respective cities. Republican politicos like former Arkansas Gov. Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee and former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin have jumped into the fray in support of Chick-Fil-A.

“We’re calling on, not only same-sex couples, but couples all around the country to show up at their local Chik-fil-a restaurant and have a smooch with their same-sex partner, their friend, their boyfriend, girlfriend, spouse, to show our — sarcastically — thanks for their continued support of love, equality and the “real” definition of family,” McGehee said.

With a flurry of criticism — as well as support — it’s impossible to ignore possible safety risks. Same-sex marriage and LGBT rights issues create passionate responses from people on both sides of the issue, so what is Wednesday’s controversial lip-lock results in something much darker?

McGehee said she isn’t concerned.

“This is a time for us to go and kiss someone. This isn’t a protest or a way to distribute hate from either side,” she said. “We’re going with a peaceful mindset and we hope our opposition maintains that peaceful mindset as well.”

Deputy press secretary for Human Rights Campaign, an LGBT advocacy group in DC, Charlie Joughin said he and the Human Rights Campaign support the efforts of young activists like McGehee.

“Anything that we can do, that our community and supporters can do, to raise awareness of Chik-fil-a’s anti-gay statements and contributions is terrific,” he said. “This is a company that’s given...millions of dollars to anti-gay causes and I think that consumers and Americans should be aware of where they’re spending their money if they do decide to frequent Chik-fil-a.”

Joughin later quipped, “We applaud anybody who is truly able to make a difference, one kiss at a time.”

National Same Sex Kiss Day is on one hand about conscious consumerism, but it’s much deeper than marriage equality — it’s life equality.

“Outside marriage equality, [it’s about] things like workplace equality -- in 29 states you can be fired for being gay and in 34 states for being transgender — so this is not just the issue of marriage,” Joughin said. “The organizations that Chik-fil-a is giving money to … are really actively seeking to make life miserable for LGBT people.”

He added that he doesn’t think Americans “put up with discrimination” and, according to Joughin, 53 percent of Americans have voiced support of same-sex marriage in recent polls.

Same-sex marriage has been a controversial and deeply personal issue for many, especially in California when in 2008, Proposition 8 was passed by a small percentage of difference. But while legislation continues to make rounds in political offices and courts, there are people like McGehee who have chosen to take an alternative route to facilitate change.

“We’re voting with our feet, we’re voting with our money,” she said. “Corporations like Chik-fil-a need to know the LGBT community is here to stay and we are a force to be reckoned with and we want our equality.”

But what happens after 8 o’clock Wednesday? After couples fill Chik-fil-a booths and share a kiss, where does McGehee take National Same Sex Kiss Day?

“I define myself as a political activists...so for me this fight is never over until I can marry the woman I love in all 50 states. Until I don’t have to worry about being fired in 29 states, until I have the same protections to live my life and have a family as every other person in this country. Although this may be one battle, the war’s not over yet and I’m gonna keep fighting.”

Read More: http://www.scpr.org/programs/patt-morrison/2012/07...

• ScottyG - Faqueue 2012/08/01 02:59:18
    I do not plan to support NSSKD - it is an abomination.
    ScottyG - Faqueue
    +4
    Go to your local Chick-Fil-A tomorrow and buy an crap load of their fine products.

• Silversnake 2012/08/01 07:24:37
    I plan to support NSSKD - bigotry and hatred are abominations.
    Silversnake
    +1
    Same sex kiss day is every day for me
  • TheTruth1313 2012/08/01 06:17:16
    TheTruth1313
    +1
    IS this something that was around prior to the whole Chick... thing or some silly made up thing? Personally, I guess I just don't really care either way. To each their own.
    +1
    1. Being BLIND .. I'm going to say this .. ANY Unwanted physical contact with me will be considered an act of aggression .. and yes, I WILL Defend myself and then file charges against the one doing it ..

2. I'm there for the CHICKEN .. (which is delicious, by the way)

3. RESPECT the personal space of others!
  • The Duke 2012/08/01 05:02:18
    The Duke
    +2
    I'll be there to support Chick-Fil-A and freedom of speech.
  • ScottyG - Faqueue 2012/08/01 02:59:18
    ScottyG - Faqueue
    +4
  • Næthan Æterna 2012/07/31 22:32:15
    Næthan Æterna
    +4
    I'd much rather eat a Chicken Sandwich than kiss another dude.
  • Mark In... Næthan ... 2012/07/31 22:42:25
    Mark In Irvine
    +1
    right on!
  • Max7 2012/07/31 20:07:07
    Max7
    +3
    I feel that the people who are supporting the NSKD are being a little immature and biased. Its a known fact that in our country its different strokes for different folks. Gay's are no different than anyone else in the light of the fact that the world does not revolved around them or approve of them. Just like society has been for years with various people of ethnic backgrounds. I like Chick-Fil-A, and I will continue to patronize their business. They are entitled to their likes and dislikes like any other given American.
  • Bill ~PWCM~JLA 2012/07/31 19:35:40
    Bill ~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    Leave it to liberals to raise hell like this. Next thing we know they will be taking a crap on some Chick-fil-a delivery truck.
  • dustin.oubre 2012/07/31 19:09:12
    I haven't even really thought about this, but I expect I'll be doing somethin...
    dustin.oubre
    +2
    I'm all for the fight for same sex marriage, but this doesn't accomplish anything whatsoever. It's just as pointless as those pride parades. So, instead, I shall probably be playing some games at home.
  • TheBadOne 2012/07/31 19:06:39
    I'm planning to stone my wife to death, because she wasn't a virgin when we m...
    TheBadOne
    +2
    You need to make more posts, Mark. That was the best laugh I've had all day.
  • Mark In... TheBadOne 2012/07/31 20:49:41
  • Lydecho Rain (Лидия) 2012/07/31 18:44:54
    Lydecho Rain (Лидия)
    +1
    What is Chick-Fil-A?...
  • Mark In... Lydecho... 2012/07/31 18:48:49
    Mark In Irvine
    +1
    It is a family-owned American fast-food restaurant that makes and sells quite tasty sandwiches containing cooked chicken. The owner recently publicized that he operates his company following "Biblical principles", and that he is opposed to the political movements in the USA (and elsewhere) which seek to cause government to recognize and legitimize marriage between people of the same gender.
  • Melizmatic Mark In... 2012/08/01 01:26:03
    Melizmatic
    +3
    "Tasty?"

What have you been smoking, Mark?

*lolz
  • Lydecho... Mark In... 2012/08/01 02:04:15
    Lydecho Rain (Лидия)
    +1
    Oh okay. I'm a vegetarian so I don't eat chicken and I don't live in the U.S. so I really didn't know.
  • Aurora 2012/07/31 18:42:02
    Aurora
    +1
    I guess these people are unemployed, they can shout what they want who cares they can kiss my ass if they want too, I bet my ass smells better than their lips.
  • Mark In... Aurora 2012/07/31 18:44:05
    Mark In Irvine
    Um ... some people could visit CFA after they get off work. Boy are YOU rude, assuming that your ass smells better than somebody else's lips. Don't you get tired of being such a hateful person?
  • Aurora Mark In... 2012/07/31 18:58:12
    Aurora
    +1
    Im Rude, and what you call this protest is not rude, ooh only if it is for your beliefs, You are failing. Is this all you have, that I am rude and hateful.
  • Mark In... Aurora 2012/07/31 19:02:15
    Mark In Irvine
    honey - you're making no sense at all.
  • Melizmatic 2012/07/31 18:38:56
    Melizmatic
    +2
    LMMFAO

win
  • Latti I... Melizmatic 2012/07/31 18:40:09
  • Mark In... Latti I... 2012/07/31 18:45:23
    Mark In Irvine
    +1
    something made me think that you'd be in favor of this ... you are a commonist too, aren't you?
  • Latti I... Mark In... 2012/08/01 00:38:11
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +2
    lol Maybe ;-)
  • Mark In... Melizmatic 2012/07/31 18:45:17
    Mark In Irvine
    +1
  • Melizmatic Mark In... 2012/08/01 01:27:17
    Melizmatic
    +2
    That depends; what's a commonist?

As for the protest, I think its awesome.

Chik-fil-A's food is nasty as hell.
  • Mark In... Melizmatic 2012/08/01 02:09:12
    Mark In Irvine
    +1
    "commonist" = somebody who uses common sense and does not allow herself to become distracted by stupidity dressed up in shiny clothes!

i just made that up!
  • Melizmatic Mark In... 2012/08/01 02:10:50
    Melizmatic
    +1
    *lolz!

I'm so glad; I thought I was out the loop...
  • Mark In... Melizmatic 2012/08/01 02:11:44
    Mark In Irvine
    +1
    oh no ... you're in the loop ...
  • Melizmatic Mark In... 2012/08/01 02:13:00
  • Mark In... Melizmatic 2012/08/01 02:14:10
    Mark In Irvine
    +1
    ahem ... i thought of that too but nofa king way was i going to say that anybody here was loopy!!
  • BurntMuffin 2012/07/31 18:38:39
    BurntMuffin
    +2
    I live in Canada so we dont have Chick-Fil-A but I will totally kiss my girlfriend anyway :>>
  • Melizmatic BurntMu... 2012/07/31 18:39:28
  • Mark In... Melizmatic 2012/07/31 18:49:39
    Mark In Irvine
    +1
    you are such a card ...
  • Melizmatic Mark In... 2012/08/01 01:28:19
    Melizmatic
    +1
    I so am... Melz card
  • Mark In... BurntMu... 2012/07/31 18:45:55
    Mark In Irvine
    +1
    Kissing is good for one's health!! Good for you!!
  • The Impossible Girl ✿ 2012/07/31 18:37:49
    The Impossible Girl ✿
    +2
    Exactly what the option says.

2014/09/20 18:13:39