National News Sticks With State of the Union, Local News Covers Christopher Dorner: Which Was the More Important Event to Cover?

AdriHead 2013/02/13 19:00:00
News stations had quite a decision to make Tuesday evening, as there were two very important events worth covering at the same time: President Obama's State of the Union address and ex-cop Christopher Dorner's breaking news whereabouts.

On the schedule for quite some time was of course President Obama's pre-planned and live State of the Union address, where Obama was expected to talk about everything from the country's planned course on gun control and federal budgets. And rather unexpectedly, on the other spectrum, was a developing story on the whereabouts of Christopher Dorner -- an ex-cop in California who had written a manifesto aiming to go after any and all police authorities in the state and was, until Tuesday afternoon, at large.

As expected, national news chose to stick with the more-national-news-oriented State of the Union address, while local news stations in California chose to go after the Christopher Dorner story instead of broadcasting the President's speech, as previously planned. It's not an easy question to answer, but which event did you think was the most important for the media to cover?

THEWRAP.COM reports:
Local stations in Southern California stayed with the Christopher Dorner shootout while network affiliates switched to the State of the Union address Tuesday night.
california stayed christopher dorner shootout network affiliates switched union address

Read More: http://www.thewrap.com/tv/column-post/state-union-...

• WankerBait 2013/02/13 19:43:08
    Obama's State of the Union address
    WankerBait
    +15
    One is about the state of the union, the other is about a state in the union ...

• wahrheit 2013/02/20 23:11:41
    Both are equally important. It's a tough call.
    wahrheit
    Actually, neither of the above.
  • Elaine Magliacane 2013/02/19 12:15:00
    The developing story on Chris Dorner
    Elaine Magliacane
    Obama telling lies isn't NEWS.
  • ddd 2013/02/19 02:20:53
    The developing story on Chris Dorner
    ddd
    +1
    Crazed murderer on the loose ambushing cops VS. A boring address we see every year that you can re-watch after Dorner died. I watched the state of the union, its the same thing as any other year. Obama has no substance, and his style is old.

Bush has been gone for four years, where is our recovery? Can't be done without raising interest rates, but that would make it impossible to pay the interest on the huge national debt you incurred (which may i add, is more than bush did in eight years at this point).
  • lm1b2 2013/02/18 23:13:08
    The developing story on Chris Dorner
    lm1b2
    +1
    State of Union Boring,you already knew what he was going to say!
  • Mamaknows 2013/02/18 06:44:19
    The developing story on Chris Dorner
    Mamaknows
    +1
    I am SICK of hearing obama and his lies...garbage. He will do whatever he likes regaurdless of constitutionality....or if we want it. their glorious leader speakes and no one is listening...I wonder if they fixed the ratings? LOL are they going to have a tantrum and make it a LAW that people MUST listen of face ''fees''? Jail time?
    Gahhllll
  • littlebuffalo55TBA 2013/02/17 14:55:33
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    Really the only way the two could be important is if Marco Rubio had at Taxpayors expense flown out to pour that bottle of water on Chris Dorner
  • andy15554 2013/02/17 14:42:37
    The developing story on Chris Dorner
    andy15554
    +1
    Obama is a lying piece of crap and everything he says is pure propaganda.
  • Cleaver62 2013/02/17 09:23:50
    Cleaver62
    Sensationalism in the news is what sells anymore. People don't read the news papers or don't get into stories indepth because they just don't care. If it bleeds it leads as they say so the short attention span of the average American dictates that the murder of cops and the apprehension of a cop killer is better TV than a speech by any president. Hell, for the average FOX viewer, if it can't fit onto a bumper sticker, they aren't going to be able to read it.
  • Kitty 2013/02/17 07:02:41
    The developing story on Chris Dorner
    Kitty
    Easy decision.
  • Rude&Reckless 2013/02/17 06:42:05
    The developing story on Chris Dorner
    Rude&Reckless
    +1
    Given the choice between listening to lies and substance-free rhetoric or watching a cover-up in the making, I'd take the latter. Boy, ain't it great living in the "land of the free"?
  • strawberry 2013/02/17 04:57:28
    Obama's State of the Union address
    strawberry
    +1
    Actually neither one.
  • Steve Boston 2013/02/16 23:31:24
    The developing story on Chris Dorner
    Steve Boston
    +1
    I think the majority of us that haven't been asleep for the last four years
    already know the State of our Nation. It's well on its way down the tubes
    thanks to Barry. None of us knew what was going to happen with Dorner.
  • Rude&Re... Steve B... 2013/02/17 06:43:39
    Rude&Reckless
    +1
    I had a hunch he wasn't going to survive to tell his side of the story. Turns out I was right.
  • usa #1 2013/02/16 22:41:32
    usa #1
    I think that both stories, at least in the media I usually track most, covered both pretty well
  • cfd007 2013/02/16 17:56:23
    The developing story on Chris Dorner
    cfd007
    +3
    The sothu sucked, basically full of lies and propaganda.
  • Not A Crybaby Richard <3Fre... 2013/02/16 10:55:42
    Not A Crybaby Richard <3Freedom!
    Both are equally unimportant.
  • doofiegirl BTO-t- BCRA-F ~... 2013/02/16 10:12:19
    The developing story on Chris Dorner
    doofiegirl  BTO-t- BCRA-F ~PWCM~
    +2
    In reality, I didn't watch either one. But IF I had, it would have been Dorner-------------what Odimwit had to say was just a repeat
  • baboula 2013/02/15 23:59:44
    baboula
    +1
    locally Dorner was a damn sight more important than the State of the Union
  • Jere 2013/02/15 23:37:52
    The developing story on Chris Dorner
    Jere
    +3
    o'bozo LIES ANY WAY WHY LISTEN TO HIM?
  • William 2013/02/15 22:37:18
    William
    The national news acts as a cover for big government and big business. If they are hot on a particular topic, then something is brewing in the cesspool of DC and it doesn't smell good.
  • LawMan5150 2013/02/15 18:04:53
    The developing story on Chris Dorner
    LawMan5150
    +4
    Both were about criminals who blame others for their actions. Unfortunately only one of them has been stopped. ANd both have sheep that support their cause.
  • snafu2 LawMan5150 2013/02/15 23:09:00
    snafu2
    +1
    Well said and stated..
  • flrdsgns 2013/02/15 17:08:47
    The developing story on Chris Dorner
    flrdsgns
    +2
    I thought the Dorner story was much more interesting, especially since I live in SoCal.
  • GoodEncounter 2013/02/15 16:53:28
    The developing story on Chris Dorner
    GoodEncounter
    +6
    The State of the Union was one more campaign speech from a man who seems to have forgotten the campaign is over.
  • liz 2013/02/15 14:54:23
    liz
    +3
    both where covering a criminal one did it with a gun the other does it in a suit, either way, the public was & is in danger
  • Michael 2013/02/15 14:15:23
    The developing story on Chris Dorner
    Michael
    +2
    We recorded Obama, and watched live Dorner. Both were tragedies.
  • Irish little 2013/02/15 04:41:21
    The developing story on Chris Dorner
    Irish little
    +4
    We have heard him how many times before? The same thing over and over again. Only about 20% wlll ever see the light of day. I am proud to say that I watched the National Dog Show.
  • Mike 2013/02/15 04:36:41 (edited)
    The developing story on Chris Dorner
    +1
    I missed it...I saw something that was way better anyways......wanted to see "Conan the Barbarian" one more time

Conan the Barbarian
  • drdos1943 2013/02/15 04:04:45
    The developing story on Chris Dorner
    drdos1943
    +2
    The State of the Union address was the same old BS.... Obama in campaign mode purporting propaganda.
    The Dorner story was much more important, involving a real life incident, although very tragic.
  • Mary Mary 2013/02/15 01:36:54
    Obama's State of the Union address
    Mary Mary
    But Americans love Drama
  • PoliticallyIncorrect 2013/02/14 20:58:40
    PoliticallyIncorrect
    +4
    Both were DOA
  • Willy 2013/02/14 20:31:18
    The developing story on Chris Dorner
    Willy
    +6
    NEITHER/OTHER, The terrible fact that Rubio drinks water and this fact should be broadcast to the world. I'm sure that the brain dead liberal morons on Saturday night live will work on this.
  • Charles White 2013/02/14 20:17:07
    Obama's State of the Union address
    Charles White
    I VOTED OBAMA SOTUA! ! ! Because the SOTUA was a national Event and I agree with all the Cable News to procast the SOTUA in its entirity because it was the right thing to do. Even CNN the only cable news that was reporting on the Dorner case up to the time that the President walked into the Chamber and the only news network to returned to the Dorner cast after the President finish speaking. I do have to admit at one time I thought the Dorner cast just might steal or upstage the President speech on CNN.
  • Todd Charles... 2013/02/14 21:08:07
  • Jensenmk Charles... 2013/02/14 21:38:27
    Jensenmk
    +5
    Actually, you are mistaken, all the cable news I checked was pushing the Dorner diversion, right up until the SOTU farce began.
  • Charles... Jensenmk 2013/02/15 03:53:56
    Charles White
    Thanks for sharing! ! ! I was flipping channel from 8:30pm to 9pm between CNN, FOXNEWS, MSNBC and Cspan, , ,CNN was the only cable news network take cover the Dorner case until the president walk into the Chamber. The others networks were commentating about what the president need to say and how the two rebuttal responses need to say as well.
  • Jensenmk Charles... 2013/02/15 14:36:38 (edited)
    Jensenmk
    +2
    How about that. I was watching Fox follow the Dorner story, right up to the king's procession into the chambers. They were discussing the emperor's new clothes and post propaganda opinions during the pre-indoctrination festivities.
  • Martyr4Christ 2013/02/14 19:57:54
    Martyr4Christ
    +2
    I say both because of the relation:

http://blogdogcicle.blogspot....
  • Jensenmk Martyr4... 2013/02/14 21:42:40
    Jensenmk
    +1
    Wait, you mean there is someone behind the curtain; but the Wiz said.....
  • ♥N A♥ 2013/02/14 19:07:18
    The developing story on Chris Dorner
    ♥N A♥
    +3
    And the state address was covered as Donner was pronounced dead so it wasent televised. I didn't watch the union address.

2014/07/30 00:59:17