Nanobots are Here - What do you expect to happen next?

PDenoli 2010/05/13 12:53:22
"For the first time, microscopic robots made from DNA molecules can walk, follow instructions and work together to assemble simple products on an atomic-scale assembly line, mimicking the machinery of living cells, two independent research teams announced Wednesday.

These experimental devices, described in the journal Nature, are advances in DNA nanotechnology, in which bioengineers are using the molecules of the genetic code as nuts, bolts, girders and other building materials, on a scale measured in billionths of a meter. The effort, which combines synthetic chemistry, enzymology, structural nanotechnology and computer science, takes advantage of the unique physical properties of DNA molecules to assemble shapes according to predictable chemical rules."

"Until now, such experiments had yielded molecular novelties, from smiley faces so small that a billion can fit in a teaspoon to molecule-size boxes with lids that can be opened, closed and locked with a DNA key.

These new construction projects bring researchers a step closer to a time when, at least in theory, scientists might be able to build test-tube factories that churn out self-assembling computers, rare chemical compounds or autonomous medical robots able to cruise the human bloodstream.

In one of the projects, a pioneering research group based at New York University built the prototype of a molecular factory in which mobile DNA robots assembled gold particles in eight different ways, in response to chemical commands. The second team, led by a biochemist at Columbia University, programmed a DNA robot that could start, stop, turn and move.

"Here we can see some glimmers of things to come," said Harvard University biophysicist William Shih, who was not involved in the projects. "This is exciting.""

• Walt 2010/06/09 16:12:13
    Walt
    Nanobots are here. Resistance is futile.
  • jack5kairon 2010/05/27 16:47:51
    jack5kairon
    Soon we will be asking if we can create life, what did God do?
  • PDenoli jack5ka... 2010/05/27 18:17:32
    PDenoli
    +1
    I dunno. When we learn just how hard it is to form the simplest forms of life - and all the technology that's supporting each phase of new technology development. And all the research, sterile laboratories, precise concentrations... It becomes increasingly difficult to imagine there was a bubbling puddle of chemicals that spontaneously formed life.

Chaotic motion forming life? Doubtful. Unless we find a DNA lab floating through space that's a billion-billion-billion years old, there's still a heck of a lot of mystery involved in a question as simple as "How did we get here?"
  • jack5ka... PDenoli 2010/05/27 21:09:51
    jack5kairon
    There are many theories about that and the one science supports - we came from another planet or from a meteorite.
    The ones I heard recently were also interesting, but not too practical.

1. The famous planet X, the Annunaki etc who are actually our God's and who made us will be returning on our home planet Nibiru.

2. This is more close to be practical and I believe it to some extent. The Michale Tesarion's theory about the race running from another hiding on earth, genetically modifying humans etc

Actually since I've heard about that they have found that what was before Big Bang I often think is there a God in reality or just made up something by our ancestors for the good and for the bad Satan as it is a historical fact that when all bad couldn't be believed to be done by God then it was thought that Satan was also something real. Isn't that enough to tell us that it is all made up? Although I respect all religions but also feel that except the most modern religion Sikhism all have killed for their own good or had crusades and are having now also? Please share your views on this
  • PDenoli jack5ka... 2010/05/28 14:01:53
    PDenoli
    The one thing that's unsatisfying about each of those theories is that it simply pushes the question back in time. It's like... okay, we were crafted by aliens. Where did they come from. Oh, they were crafted by other aliens. Gotcha... but now where did THEY come from? It's a loop.

• jack5ka... PDenoli 2010/05/30 01:49:41
    jack5kairon
    Yes it is. Got your point, but really don't you feel that if there were not so many religions then maybe we could have survived together as humans instead of being a Christian, A Muslim, A Hindu, A Jew, A Sikh etc? Shouldn't we take out the good things out of all religions and put them into one religion Humanity. But then we will fight over what is to be added and what not sighs
    I remember a story where a person wants to finish corruption and argues with the cop about it. The cop says talk to my seniors, so he went to his seniors and they sent him to their seniors and when he reached the top of the police department he asks the officer on top and starts arguing with him, the officer says why are you arguing with me? talk to the politicians and politicians sent him to their party leader, party leaders sent him to the president and the president sends him to the prime minister and the P.Minister sent him to the U.N. and till today that person is looking for the person at the top of everyone. He doesn't realize that if only he could have stopped being corrupt then no one would be corrupt with him. So I think like I already do this, try and study or gain knowledge about other religions also so that you don't have any doubt what so and so religion says about certain things. Maybe...
    I remember a story where a person wants to finish corruption and argues with the cop about it. The cop says talk to my seniors, so he went to his seniors and they sent him to their seniors and when he reached the top of the police department he asks the officer on top and starts arguing with him, the officer says why are you arguing with me? talk to the politicians and politicians sent him to their party leader, party leaders sent him to the president and the president sends him to the prime minister and the P.Minister sent him to the U.N. and till today that person is looking for the person at the top of everyone. He doesn't realize that if only he could have stopped being corrupt then no one would be corrupt with him. So I think like I already do this, try and study or gain knowledge about other religions also so that you don't have any doubt what so and so religion says about certain things. Maybe maybe not but I do try to learn if I can about any religion and with respect 'cause even if atheist say they were not written by God or are not God's words, yet they are words of someone much wiser than us and if we respect our elders then why shouldn't we give respect the writings of our elders much, much before us
    Sorry I hope I'm able to make my point understood
  • PDenoli jack5ka... 2010/05/30 02:44:17
    PDenoli
    I didn't follow your leap from "where did everything come from" to "there are too many religions". That seems to be a separate topic.

Your new topic seems to suggest that religion is the root of all evil. Frankly, humans are hard-wired to be clannish. We identify as self first, then family, race comes next for some, then community... nation... etc. Religion is in the mix, too. But even if you take religion away, people will still group together in some clannish way. People aren't driven to violence or evil because of religion, they're driven due to simply human genetics and will use any identity as an excuse for establishing and defending some larger identification.

Soccer hooligans. Gangs. Ethnic cleansing. And on and on it goes. The problem isn't the affiliation. The problem is people. This is how people are. To overcome this, people need to learn right from wrong. To learn it, they need to be taught. This has always been the case and it forever will be.

At least until we're no longer human.
  • jack5ka... PDenoli 2010/05/30 16:49:27
    jack5kairon
    I'm really sorry for that, but if we identify as self first, then family then race(race as human race?)community and nation. Can you say the same for a Muslim terrorist? For them it is the only way to go to heaven and it is to kill or destroy whatever stands in their way or doesn't agree with them. They even kill their family members, others in community and are not worried about nation because Allah or God will take care of that. The very first thing someone destroys when he decides to murder a fellow human is himself or herself. If this was just a psycho issue then it would have been some very few who were like that but Pakistan and to some extent Bangladesh is also going this way and it is the way to their God or Allah. I want to stress on one thing only that religions(although Sikhism doesn't but I'm counting it in not to favor any) divides us as human beings and for that reason they should be banned. But I also know that no religion in it's studies teaches any such thing as killing another humans and that it is our interpretation of their teachings done by people to serve their purpose. To make sure this doesn't happen in the future all the religions should be studied and combined as one Humanity so there is no discrimination left on religious part and no more crusades are there in the future as religion causes have killed more people than combined in both world wars
  • PDenoli jack5ka... 2010/05/31 02:15:14
    PDenoli
    You're buying into the disguise and the hype and failing to see the truth that's right in front of you.

Self first. Terrorism is possible whenever you have people who feel powerless and seek a way to be powerful. School shootings, Gangs, Nations rich with oil but where many are starving.

Family/Clan. They reinforce self identity. They can also reinforce feelings of powerlessness, or desire for power. They echo and reinforce frustration... rage. They shape the notion of acceptable responses.

Community or Group Identity. The leaders are needed in order to provide organization, to form cultural norms. They can also establish their control over those who feel powerless by lending them power. This is also an illusion for the power always comes from the individual... but if enough individuals yield control to them, they have it. In bad times, leaders always take the role of identifying who to blame and who to hate for causing the bad times. Good and strong leaders share in the responsibility and sacrifice along with their people.

Now if you look at the history of the Middle East, their plight is directly related to the corrupt and incapable leadership. Since many of the leaders are dynasty-oriented, they cannot do as western society does and simply blame problems on the prio...

Now if you look at the history of the Middle East, their plight is directly related to the corrupt and incapable leadership. Since many of the leaders are dynasty-oriented, they cannot do as western society does and simply blame problems on the prior leadership. Like a monarchy, casting blame on their own lineage casts doubt on the justification for their own rule. So they must blame outsiders. Religion is simply the costume they choose. Take that away and it will be race (no, not human) or it will be culture, or it will be something else. It's not relevant for those who need someone to blame. Nazis chose mysticism and race over religion, and killed tens of millions. Communists drove religion into hiding, and killed hundreds of millions.

Look closely and you will find that it is within the corrupt, or desperate, or power-hungry, or simply inept leaders where the notion of terrorism is born. They consciously shape the individual's view of who is their enemy and what reactions are acceptable. This is why the leaders protect their own lives at any cost. They know it's a sham. They just want the power of control for one more day. Always terrified that their followers will discover that the rest of the world isn't to blame for the corruption within.

Don't be fooled into blaming religion (any religion or all religion) simply because people use that as a conveyance of control. As history shows, anything will do.
  • jack5ka... PDenoli 2010/05/31 19:58:51
    jack5kairon
    Honestly I bow before your knowledge and find myself very illiterate infront of you for your vast knowledge. I really didn't meant that religion is to be blamed. I meant that people inter-prate the Holy Books and use them as a tool to achieve their motives etc. So wouldn't it be good if all religious books are combined into one as humanity. Wont it eliminate the basic discrimination made by the people. Wont it prevent religious preachings to be used as a weapon?
    I know what I said is not going to be possible, but what if we have a chance to do so? If everyone on earth is of one religion then at-least the killings in the name of religion would stop.
    I go to Church once in a month, to a Mosque, to a Temple, to a Gurudwara Sahib once in a month. Why? because I feel that all religions are mine as I'm human and try to learn what good things I can learn.
    About Pakistan, well at least every Indian knows that it runs terrorist camps and that all these groups are funded by the ISI intelligence of Pakistan. They use religion as a weapon and what is result? 9/11, 26/11 etc(This is not that much related point but it gives fine example of religion being used as a weapon)
  • PDenoli jack5ka... 2010/06/01 00:56:10
    PDenoli
    In my opinion, regarding the prospect of integrating religions, I think Emo Phillips captured things best when he told this joke:

Listen until the end. Sorry for the visuals, I couldn't find a copy of the joke without it.
  • Alex 2010/05/19 15:21:01
    Alex
    It's time to watch "Cowboy Bebop : Knockin' on Heaven's Door" again, then.

2014/08/23 09:40:24