Nanny State To Mandate Rear-View Cameras In All Vehicles?

~ The Rebel ~ 2012/03/01 16:13:25

The National Highway Safety Institute has set in place a law that will require that all vehicles come equipped with rear-view cameras, a measure that — if 100 percent effective — will prevent 228 American deaths each year at a cost of about $12 million each to American auto buyers.

According to The New York Times, in a preliminary version of the measure released for public comment, regulators predicted that adding the cameras and viewing screens will cost the auto industry as much as $2.7 billion a year, or $160 to $200 a vehicle. Some of the cost is expected to be passed on to consumers through higher prices.

Read More: http://personalliberty.com/2012/03/01/nanny-state-...

• Mindwarp 2012/03/02 08:53:52
    Mindwarp
    I liked George Carlin's take on this.
  • Nightmusic 2012/03/01 20:41:59
    Nightmusic
    I don't see this as Nanny state. All the safety measures on cars are mandated. So they've discovered a new one. So put it on the cars. What's the big deal?
  • Rebel Yell 2012/03/01 17:11:57
    Rebel Yell
    +2
    I had a back up mirror installed on my vehicle. Every year, some parent runs over his/her child while leaving for work. Last year, in my city, a mom and her toddler were watching Dad get into his SUV, leaving for work. Distracted by a ringing phone, Mom did not see the toddler run out behind the vehicle, to give Dad one more kiss goodbye. My mirror shows the area beneath the license plate and beyond. If there is anyone or anything there, I will see it.

For many years , drivers rebelled against seat belts. They saw those as too much government oversight, too.
  • Max 2012/03/01 17:06:47
    Max
    +2
    "The National Highway Safety Institute has set in place a law" doesn't make sense to me. It is the Congress that is supposed to write laws. Anyway, I won't be buying any new cars.
  • Wolf 2012/03/01 17:04:47
    Wolf
    +2
    How ridiculous can you get...just take some responsibility for driving safely...look around before you drive ...just like a pilot who walks around the plane before taking off...no need for more laws and gadgets fro our stupidity...
  • U-Dog 2012/03/01 16:29:38
    U-Dog
    +2
    The nanny state saviors in action... I wonder how many lives will be saved during the social unrest and crime wave when the nations economy finally goes belly up.
  • ~ The Rebel ~ 2012/03/01 16:27:07
    ~ The Rebel ~
    +2
    No common sense today? When I was little we were taught if we didn't want to get run over ~ stay away from vehicles cause they were bigger than we were!

2014/07/29 22:55:36