Name Calling in Politics: Hurts, Helps or Doesn't Matter?

Mizz Conservative 2010/11/10 07:27:56
Related Topics: Use, Calling
It hurts the speaker's argument.
It has no bearing on the speaker's argument.
It makes the speaker look bad but has no bearing on their argument.
Examples:

Libtards
Demoncrats
Democraps
Rethuglicans
CONS
Conservaturds
TEABaggers

My personal opinion is that it's not necessary and is actually more telling of how nasty, hateful, and insecure the speaker is in their argument, hurting both the speaker and the argument because it is a turn-off to anything they have to say.

I and a few others that I know of, have also begun blocking people who use these terms. I feel no remorse for it. If a person cannot speak without calling names, I don't want them playing in my sandbox.

• TCFla 2010/11/10 07:41:39
    It hurts the speaker's argument.
    TCFla
    +9
    I've seen it used by both sides and it never ends well.

• Done with Sodahead! 2011/02/03 18:52:04
    It hurts the speaker's argument.
    Done with Sodahead!
    It doesn't matter what side of the fence you are on. It really doesn't make you look very smart when you resort to the name calling.
  • ~HopelessRomanticM17~ 2011/02/03 04:02:43
    It hurts the speaker's argument.
    ~HopelessRomanticM17~
    Its stupid, and childish.
  • KODA 2011/02/03 03:52:32
    KODA
    They should be tough and not thin skinned !

tough skinned
  • possiblymaybe 2011/02/03 03:47:36
    It hurts the speaker's argument.
    possiblymaybe
    Somewhere between "It makes the speaker look bad but has no bearing on their argument." and "It hurts the speaker's argument." It depends on the context though. Insults are not always insults. Sometimes they're just relatively factual judgmental statements that happen to have a negative connotation -- like saying someone is ignorant (which is primarily comparative). Sometimes they're meant to be relatively insulting, like calling someone a Moron for snorting powdered cheese. So context matters. *Title* insults though, such as making fun of someone's sports team by changing the name; I find that immature. It reminds me of 3rd grade when kids make fun of other kids names.
  • Feria~THEZombieSlayingB!tch... 2011/02/03 03:26:16
  • LOTR_HP~RWAC~CFM 2011/02/03 03:24:06
  • Stefan 2011/01/02 04:41:42
    It hurts the speaker's argument.
    Stefan
    I think people typically turn to name-calling when they are not truly confident about their own argument, and they are scared the other person may be right.
  • I am me 2011/01/01 14:17:26
    It hurts the speaker's argument.
    I am me
    It is just immature. I find people who call names aren't confident in their opinion or with their facts. It can be frustrating when you try to have a conversation with an irrational person, but you just have to realize that the person is just not capable of compreheding certain things that require reasoning.
  • westernslope~PWCM~JLA 2010/11/12 19:29:02
    It hurts the speaker's argument.
    westernslope~PWCM~JLA
    When I hear our "leaders" start name calling it sounds too much like my four sons. There are better ways for folks to discuss things. Government discussions shouldn't be like the View and people walking off the set when they don't like someone supporting a position they don't agree with because they can't control themselves.
  • Skip 2010/11/12 07:27:47
    It hurts the speaker's argument.
    Skip
    Although I believe calling someone names doesn't help with my argument, sometimes I drop a name or two simply because it makes me feel better and most time because the name fits. I wouldn't say that I am nasty or hateful for calling someone an idiot, it just doesn't help in any attempt to convince someone to agree with me.
  • No nonsense NanC...don't BS... 2010/11/12 03:12:30
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
    +1
    It is business as usual...........
  • Ed 2010/11/12 00:17:18
    Ed
    +2
    It depends, mostly on the audience, time and place then on the type of emphasis and strength of the point one is trying to make. I don't like censorship at all, and as far as I am concerned even the "F" word has a time and a place.
  • unicorn_lady1 2010/11/11 19:35:31
    It hurts the speaker's argument.
    unicorn_lady1
    +1
    When I see Obamowit or tea bagger.... I stop reading....

Sick of it.

You have something intelligent to say and expect people to listen... stop the name calling. Now you can say what you believe and have a whole lot of negative things to say.. but the made up names ... used ONLY to be hateful... turn me off.
  • Mizz Co... unicorn... 2010/11/11 19:38:59
    Mizz Conservative
    +8
    Thanx! Same here!
  • Whyputaname 2010/11/11 18:21:10
    Whyputaname
    +2
    Who cares..........
  • Mizz Co... Whyputa... 2010/11/11 18:33:24
    Mizz Conservative
    +10
    You did enough to answer.
  • Skip Whyputa... 2010/11/12 07:31:28
    Skip
    Idiot! lol
  • Brainfart " Bane of the Col... 2010/11/11 18:10:38
    Brainfart " Bane of the Collective "
    +1
    I suppose whether it hurts or helps the Speaker..In this case Typer..

Depends on just who is Hearing /Reading the comment or opinion.

I mean some people go Postal over a misspelled word or improper grammar..

I cant say much myself..
    I have a whole vocabulary all my own for the one that calls me the ' Enemy "
  • mwg0735 2010/11/11 16:12:00
  • 2010now 2010/11/11 16:08:44
    2010now
    +2
    Some people are just idiots. It doesn't matter if you call them "cognitively challenged" - they're still idiots.
  • jackola... 2010now 2010/11/11 16:27:17
    However, Liberal, Democratic Socialist, Marxists, Communists, Leftists and several of the stronger, more flavorful, names refering to the Democrat Party (DNC, Congress, President) has been earned by the Democrats. Not once has any media outlet to my knowledge been known to deny that they are what they have been called. It has been sort of implied that the shoe may not fit, but never a direct denial.... I would say, at least for the Democrats, they have been earning what they are called for a long time. It just finally "sank in" on the Amrerican Public's mind. (had to hammered in at that)
  • THE LEFT=DESTRUCTION 2010/11/11 15:15:34
    THE LEFT=DESTRUCTION
    +2
    The left started with the attacks from the moment that BO was elected.
    In fact the democrat majority, and the BO administrations, and the liberal media
    started with the name calling FIRST.
    Now, they are upset that the right is fighting fire with fire.
    Crybabies.
    Whaaaaa Whaaaa Whaaaa
  • DouglasSignorovitch 2010/11/11 13:41:45
    It hurts the speaker's argument.
    DouglasSignorovitch
    I all for a little name calling , but all and all it just not good for ones couse.
  • lazarous1967 2010/11/11 10:08:49
    It hurts the speaker's argument.
    lazarous1967
    OK i will say that a little joke now and then would be ok. However i do not believe that candidates should be able to flat out lie about one another. Slander is NEVER helpful to a candidate.
    Take Jerry brown for instance. He claims that Meg whitman Knew her house keeper was an illegal. He didn't have to prove she knew. There is NO proof that Meg Whitman did know.
    Just the testimony of a woman who broke the law to come here. A woman who would say and do anything to stay here.
    The same with barbara Boxer Nad Carly Fiorina, They were both talking trash on each other, and half of it WE couldn't find out for our selves if it were true or not.
    So i say NO LYING!!!!
  • Katie~awkward child♥ 2010/11/11 07:55:11
    Katie~awkward child♥
    It's just petty and dumb. That stuff doesn't affect anything or anyone in the long run.
  • 1472365 2010/11/11 07:25:25 (edited)
    1472365
    +2
    On rare occasions a catchy nickname for a political opponent can be effective if it:

1 Is fresh

2 Is spot on

3 Articulates the prevailing public opinion

Too often name calling is used as a substitute for making an intelligent rebuttal. Used this way it's basically an admission of rhetorical failure. It's might be more politically savvy than just sitting there slack jawed in response to your opponent's overwhelmingly convincing argument, but not much.
    homer buttfailure politically savvy slack jawed response opponents overwhelmingly convincing argument
  • cruc1bl3 1472365 2010/11/11 09:39:19 (edited)
    cruc1bl3
    Bush still sux Con are still full of F
  • Behner cruc1bl3 2010/11/11 16:50:50
    Behner
    +4
    I bet the fifth grade was the toughest 4 years of your life.
  • unicorn... cruc1bl3 2010/11/11 19:37:07
    unicorn_lady1
    +1
    And you just said .........nothing of value.. and in responding to you... I join you in that enterprise.. oh we should be so proud.
  • jesse 2010/11/11 04:50:56
    jesse
    +2
    It is not name calling as long as it is true. calling true

THIS IS A FACT!!!!!!!
  • www.sod... jesse 2010/11/11 13:58:10
  • jesse www.sod... 2010/11/11 18:02:33 (edited)
    jesse
    I dont much like Hannity but I agree with his view points!
    We both know these pics are fake because if they were real
    we both know Obama would be on the floor lapping up the
    juices along with smoking that meth pipe!
  • Kinetic 2010/11/11 03:43:33
    It hurts the speaker's argument.
    Kinetic
    +3
    Those who engage in name calling, slander, character assassinations or defamation reveal their own character (or lack thereof) and typically occurs because their arguments on the issue debated are wrong, weak, unsupported by facts, or are losing.
  • cruc1bl3 Kinetic 2010/11/11 09:50:27
    cruc1bl3
    I agree with you when you say even if losers are right we should still not listen to them. F those losers. So lets put Bush in Jail cause that is one loser bitch.
  • Mizz Co... cruc1bl3 2010/11/11 10:10:52
    Mizz Conservative
    +9
    And you are done.
  • Skip Mizz Co... 2010/11/12 07:35:57
    Skip
    Can I call cruc1bl3 an idiot? I'd sure hate to have him think my opinion is weak because I call him a name.
  • Kinetic cruc1bl3 2010/11/11 13:55:57
    Kinetic
    +2
    "I agree with you when you say even if losers are right we should still not listen to them."

When someone loses and argument they cannot be simultaneously right because their arguments are flawed and wrong.

"F those losers. So lets put Bush in Jail cause that is one loser bitch."

Bush didn't lose. He won two elections for president. That you want him in jail and use profanity and name-calling exhibits the kind of behavior this thread is confronting, not supporting.
  • Behner cruc1bl3 2010/11/11 16:49:51
    Behner
    +1
    Grow up.
  • Scott 2010/11/11 03:12:58
    It hurts the speaker's argument.
    Scott
    It hurt CRAZY NANCY !
  • bluejacket Scott 2010/11/11 15:51:05
    bluejacket
    +1
    Nancy did it to herself.

She didn't have the angry left, nor the leftist media thorwing tomatoes at her like the did to Bush for eight years, (ten years now)

2014/09/18 15:52:27