My take on the TIMES breastfeeding cover.....

Laura 2012/05/12 21:53:43
I hope everyone has an open mind and is ready for a NOVEL! lol

Okay, so I have seen this all over facebook as well as on here.....the cover of TIMES magazine showing a picture of a very pretty woman breastfeeding her 3 year old son.

My first thought? "Why is he standing on a chair......how silly!"

Seriously, I breastfed my 18 month old and would HAPPILY still be breastfeeding him if I hadn't had severe supply issues due to PCOS. Despite my best efforts, I dried up and he pretty much weaned around a year (although he still latches occasionally for comfort). However, I never put him on a chair and then said, "Okay Shane!!! Time for boobies!!" or something of the sorts.

Breastfeeding was our cuddle time, it was super special and I miss it very much.

But enough about me....

Back to the article- I have not read it yet (but will once I buy the magazine) but as I am sure people have realized, it includes information about extended breastfeeding (also known as full-term breastfeeding) This is when you allow a child to nurse into their late toddler or school-age years. Most women who do this, believe in both the emotional and physical benefits of allowing a child to self-wean.

What I think most people do not understand, is that the process of weaning begins around 6 months, when solid food is first introduced. As solid food in increased, breastfeeding decreases. The part that most people don't understand is that this is naturally a VERY SLOW PROCESS and is usually not fully complete until the age of 3, 4 or 5...sometimes even older.

Now, as I am sure everyone is fully aware, we live in an extremely OVER SEXUALIZED society....one where breasts=sex and not food...which when you think about it is absurd. Does a cows udders=sex to you? Cause they have the same basic function. Now, I have no problem with people using breasts for sexual pleasure, (as long as we can remember their original purpose) dont get me wrong! I just think we need to remember the actual purpose of a breast!

The comments I have seen in regards to the breastfeeding TIMES cover are sad and disturbing. Come on guys, while TIMES attempted to make breastfeeding sexual by placing this boy is an such odd position, breastfeeding itself is NO more sexual if you are feeding a 3 week old or 3 year old. Either way, you are bonding, emotionally supporting and nourishing your child.

What I also think many people miss, is that by three, most children are barley nursing. They are far into the process of weaning and eat plenty of full, solid meals. They most likely nurse once a day on average or even less. This nursing session is more about the comfort and closeness at this age, however the milk DOES have benefits. NO, I am not saying it provides the main nutrition a child needs....but that is NOT it's only purpose.

1. It helps to support a healthy immune system as it still passes a mothers immunities to her child. A child's immune system is NOT fully developed until they are older. Breastmilk also has both antiviral and antibiotic type properties. It can actually help clear up illnesses faster and help to prevent children from getting sick in the first place.
2. It has been shown to increase IQ.
3. The actual compensation of breastmilk changes as a child gets older to help support them at this specific age.
4. Breastfeeding helps the mother as well. The LONGER a mother breastfeeds, the lower her risk of all FEMALE CANCERS as well as Osteoporosis....go figure? I guess doing what our bodies are designed to do helps us more than we thought!

And, did you know that a substance in breastmilk actually contains cancer-fighting-ingredients? If you don't believe me, do a little research- there were some articles published in health magazines (or somewhere-I dont remember) a few months back.

I am sure there are benefits to extended breastfeeding, but I can't remember them at this moment. lol

So, in conclusion, my take on the TIMES breastfeeding cover, is "YAY for spreading extended breastfeeding awareness. NAY for putting mom and child in such a strange position." And yes, if I was able to still breastfeed my little man, I would happily breastfeed him at three....why wouldn't I?

I will end this with a couple of links, please consider reading and/or watching. :-)

This is a great little blog about this same topic- read it...its funny.. :-D

http://jasongood.net/365/2012/05/from-breasts-to-boobs-and-ba...

This is an informative blog also on the subject

http://mothering.com/all-things-mothering/baby-2/breastfeedin...

This is one of my favorite videos on youtube- please consider watching...it is informative...PLUS...I like the music choices!!! :-D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdEN8nKWA4E

• JayLynx 2012/05/16 23:40:21
    You make perfect sense!!! (comment please)
    JayLynx
    +3
    I completely agree!
    Why so many noise about a natural way to feed a baby?
    Who are the main characters in these cases? Mother and child.
    When I had my first child I said, whatever happens, I will breastfeed my baby. About 10 years, is the sum of entire time I nursed my four children. They never used pacifier, they did not over estimat a Ted bear or a blanket. Today, they are adults. They are intelligent, healthy, confident, thoughtful and kind persons. None uses alcohol or drugs, neither cigarettes. And they're not over weight! Most of those ''virtues'' achieved due to breastfeeding; time to show my maternal love and affection for them, sacred time.
    Today they love each other, are best friends!
    No, I'm not saying I did a good job. I only did what nature made me for do! I obeied the natural laws. love affection sacred love friends job nature obeied natural laws

By the way...

No matter if it criticizes policies or not, no matter if shows Clooney/Obama, or whatever.
    If many American think breastfeeding in public offensive. To me, as a mother, I think this cover of Time is very offensive to all those thoughtful mothers who breastfeed their babies.
    Ddisrespect; bad joke; debauch.
    ObamaTime

• Nichole 2013/04/20 19:16:07
    Nichole
    While I'm still on the fence about whether or not I will breastfeed when I have children, I agree with what you said. Breastfeeding is natural and people need to realize that. I think the biggest issue was the way the picture was set up.

On a side note, you said you breastfed and that you have PCOS. What medication(s) for the PCOS were you taking while breastfeeding? Having PCOS is one of the reasons I'm still not sure whether I will breastfeed or not.
  • Keith 2012/06/13 17:43:08
    Keith
    I think it should stop by two.
  • sherie 2012/05/24 05:09:08
    sherie
    +1
    I understand your position.your points are valid. I guess the problem is that as Americans,we do have alot of sexual hang ups.I don't know the answer to changing this. The pose that Time magazine chose was intentionally provocative. I think if you choose to extend breastfeeding for whatever reason, especially special bonding time, it should be private and not out where the majority of us are going to be uncomfortable with what FEELS like the sexualization of something that is absolutely natural.....or be confident enough in your decision that you can ignore the stares and snickering.Bottom line,we need to raise,and wean,our own children as we see fit.More power to ya :)
  • Laura sherie 2012/05/28 21:49:17
    Laura
    I agree 100%. I think the pose was set up to cause controversy within our society. I like the fact that a magazine is touching on a subject, such as extended breastfeeding as so many people in our society are completely unaware of it. Awareness will help to remove some of the controversy surrounding it. People who are unaware that this is a natural way to wean a child, think it is abusive, sexual in nature (which it in no way is) and more for the mother than the child (which, in general, it isn't.)
  • Steve Lehr 2012/05/23 16:28:21
    Steve Lehr
    +1
    Our horror at breastfeeding is a very curious and culturally bound bias. Across cultures, the average age at which children are weened away from breastfeeding is about FOUR-FIVE. This is apparently the "natural" time for children to stop breast feeding. People need to get over their own insecurities. Breast feeding is not sexual: It is a very natural part of feeding our young that evolved over millions of years to provide nutritive, affective and immune benefits for our children.
  • Laura Steve Lehr 2012/05/23 16:57:22
    Laura
    Agreed completely! And welcome to the wonderful world of sodahead! ;-)
  • Amelia Quailler 2012/05/21 22:21:03
  • Laura Amelia ... 2012/05/23 16:58:53
    Laura
    Agreed. I really don't understand the hang-up our culture has over this.
  • CookiiCutter 2012/05/17 07:19:02
    CookiiCutter
    +1
    Yeah, my first thought was the chair,my second thought was 'awwww'
  • JayLynx 2012/05/16 23:40:21
    JayLynx
    +3
    I completely agree!

By the way...

Ddisrespect; bad joke; debauch.
    ObamaTime
  • Doc Fra... JayLynx 2012/05/17 00:06:42
    Doc Frank stein
    Your comment should be the Top OpinionLOL!
  • JayLynx Doc Fra... 2012/05/17 00:28:00
    JayLynx
    +1
    LOL ? or are u being serious?
  • Doc Fra... JayLynx 2012/05/17 00:42:49
    Doc Frank stein
    Yes; being serial ...
    But as long as or man seems to enjoy Sucking your milk whenhe thinks it's his turnROFL!! ;)
    ...and as long as his nibbling still turns you on...
    All of that has to be part of the equation :)
  • JayLynx Doc Fra... 2012/05/17 00:45:25
    JayLynx
    serial... sick!
  • Doc Fra... JayLynx 2012/05/17 00:57:31
    Doc Frank stein
    2 letters!!!!!?
    wot about the substance of the other 100
  • JayLynx Doc Fra... 2012/05/26 18:31:57
    JayLynx
    you do not deserve.
  • Doc Fra... JayLynx 2012/05/26 18:37:05
    Doc Frank stein
    Warped!
  • democoach 2012/05/14 17:25:14 (edited)
    Um....No.... (comment please)
    democoach
    "healthy to breastfeed till even after 5"? thats not true! i have never seen a 6 year old being breastfed, thats WRONG! that is way too old! if child is breastfeeding for that long, there is something wrong with your parenting! you do not know how to raise your child! heck breastfeeding is good and is the best way! but by you logic we should breastfeed from our mothers all our lives, because hey it prevents cancer! NO! there is an age where a child should be eating solid foods! even age 3 is getting old to breastfeed!
  • Laura democoach 2012/05/14 17:44:33
    Laura
    +1
    Please don't directly quote a statement I did not say. I said that the natural age of self weaning is between 3 and 5. This is not new, whether or not you would like to believe so..it is just not talked about much in our society.

And as I stated, by 6 MONTHS, children are typically eating solid foods. With each increase in solids, there is a decrease in breastfeeding. As the child gets older, it goes onto three solid meals a day along with snacks. At this point nursing has greatly decreased and will only continue to decrease. The addition of more interest in outside activities, typically leads to nursing being only 3 times a day (depending on the child) usually before sleeping and when a child first wakes up, to two times a day, then to one time a day until the child stops completely.

This is the natural way weaning works...as it does with all other mammals. They start eating solids, increase solids, decrease nursing, increase activities, decrease nursing until they completely stop.

I also don't believe I said we should breastfeed from our mothers our whole live because it "prevents" cancer. Actually what I said is that a benefit of breastfeeding (in general) is that is has cancer KILLING ingredients...which I find AMAZING! There are properties in a mothers milk that K...

I also don't believe I said we should breastfeed from our mothers our whole live because it "prevents" cancer. Actually what I said is that a benefit of breastfeeding (in general) is that is has cancer KILLING ingredients...which I find AMAZING! There are properties in a mothers milk that KILL cancer..... There are doctors trying to figure how to use this to benefit the health of our society as a whole. And FYI, I have heard of both children and adults who have cancer drinking both colostrum and regular breastmilk in an attempt to fight it. You might think it is weird, but I think it is incredible.

I have no issue with your opinion- you may believe what you want. All I did was state facts as well as my opinions and experiences

And by the way, my mother practiced self weaning with myself and my siblings. We all weaned in our time, when we were ready, She guided us in the direction she wanted by discouraging feedings when possible and encouraging activities to distract us when possible, but she did not force us to stop.

All of us have grown up into independent, intelligent adults, with good, goals and bright futures. My sister has a managerial position in a large company. My brother has a research position at Harvard University. Me, well, I while I am very intelligent, I chose not to go to college right after high school. I did return and am now working on double majoring in special education and speech therapy. I currently have a 4.0 average. None of us were hurt by extended breastfeeding. We don't have "mommy issues" although we do love our mother greatly. We are also all, in general, very healthy. Are we perfect? No...of course not. Bu then again, who is?
  • democoach Laura 2012/05/28 19:58:40
    democoach
    facts? about the cancer? i believe that! but kids should NOT breastfeed past a certain age! after even two its getting wrong to breastfeed. ask any parenting expert
  • Marcus Clark 2012/05/14 04:13:45
    Marcus Clark
    +1
    Excellent write up!
  • Laura Marcus ... 2012/05/14 04:30:21
    Laura
    +1
    Thank you so much! :-) I am glad you enjoyed it!
  • jackie 2012/05/13 05:45:18
    Um....No.... (comment please)
    jackie
    To me 3 is too old. The kid should have learned how to eat food. I dont think holding off and holding off things that the kid suppose to learn is healthy. This is suppose to be about the kid not the mom. Over babying is not good. Honestly I dont want to see a lady pull out her tit and feed the baby, I rather for a blanket to be over her. A friend told me when she was the plane and a lady was feeding her baby, men kept getting up and walking down the aisle just to gawk at her boob. From the magazine a commenter said the kid was lucky. Wtf? Thats his mom. the kid is going to grow up around other kids and get picked on and bullied. And get into a lot of fights because guys are making sexual comments about his mom.
  • Laura jackie 2012/05/13 05:51:55
    Laura
    Did you read any of what I wrote? He knows how to eat food.......*s*
  • jackie Laura 2012/05/13 05:54:47
    jackie
    Read some..
  • Laura jackie 2012/05/13 06:02:17
    Laura
    lol- fair enough.....please consider reading a bit more. 3 year old who are weaning have been eating regular meals...probably since about 6 months old....it is just a naturally slow process unless the mother forces it.
  • jackie Laura 2012/05/13 06:12:00
    jackie
    Ok. I do think breast milk is healthy tho. If I had a kid I dont think ill be feeding a 3yr old breast milk, to me its kind of embarrassing.
  • Laura jackie 2012/05/13 06:21:30 (edited)
    Laura
    +1
    Fair enough....to each their own! :-) You should consider breastfeeding for a while (even if its only a short while) if you ever have a child- it's really amazing stuff and any amount of time in beneficial. Sorry, this is my "pro breastfeeding in general" side coming out. lol I could go through a list of reasons right now why an infant should be nursed, at least at first...but I will spare you. lmao Well, maybe except for one reason (sorry...I can't help it....lol) did you know breastfeeding reduces the risk of SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome) by 73% if you are able to feed it exclusively or 45% if you are abe to feed any breast milk at all. I find that amazing....and since SIDS TERRIFIES me, the moment I read this benefit, I was hooked even more than I already had been. lol
  • jackie Laura 2012/05/13 06:40:59
    jackie
    I read that that scared the Hell out of me to and I dont even have a child. I just looked it up what it means and it says the the baby can die RANDOMLY. at any time under 1 yr. Im defiantly make sure my lil baby has breast milk whenever they need it.
  • Laura jackie 2012/05/13 07:08:25
    Laura
    +1
    Good for you! It is SUPER scary! Heres another tip if you ever have a baby....get a Snuza Halo Breathing monitor. It clips to the baby's diaper and will alert you if breathing stops so you have a chance to do something before it is to late. Better to have a chance than none at all!!!!!!!!!! My son slept with a snuza until he was about 7 months old...at which point he was rolling onto his belly all the time and was knocking the snuza lose. There is also the angelcare movement monitor which goes under the crib mattress (which is good for an older baby) but I definitely prefer the snuza for a younger baby cause it can go anywhere with you....car seat, swing..etc. Its great for moms who end up pulling a baby into bed with her as well as being in bed with someone increases risk of suffocation. (only cosleep if you dont move and keep the baby in the crook of your arms...at least until its older)
  • Laura Laura 2012/05/13 07:09:10
    Laura
    +1
    By the way..this was my "mothering 101 class." I am here every Sunday...2 am to 3:15 am EST. lmao
  • jackie Laura 2012/05/13 07:23:25
    jackie
    Lol ok.
  • Laura jackie 2012/05/13 15:55:33
    Laura
    +1
    Im a mess...I know lol
  • jackie Laura 2012/05/13 16:00:34
    jackie
    Not really. Its very good to help people. Some people baby died because they didnt know. Ignorance isnt always bliss.
  • Laura jackie 2012/05/13 16:04:23
    Laura
    It really is so scary.....My older son is adopted...he was my friends and she was living with me at birth...I knew nothing about sids then....I am glad that nothing happened to him cause pretty much no precautions were taken.
  • Laura jackie 2012/05/13 06:04:10
    Laura
    +1
    on another note, I agree the actual cover photo is weird and it is not one I would have chosen. It is not helping to spread awareness for extended breastfeeding but instead in turning off people to breastfeeding in general.
  • Ozymandias Laura 2012/05/13 06:46:34
    Ozymandias
    You have to consider that sensationalism is a popular tactic employed to attract our attention.

Time isn't run by idiots. They knew this would cause a controversy and people would talk about it and, more importantly, people would buy the magazine.
  • Laura Ozymandias 2012/05/13 07:26:35
    Laura
    I agree completely.... I think the actual photo is ridiculous and is meant to creat conflict in our society.... They wanted to stir up some trouble..... Sadly, I think this is going to take breastfeeding (both regular and extended) back a step in terms of acceptance
  • democoach Laura 2012/05/14 17:25:54
    democoach
    so you just had him breastfeed for your pleasure? pervert!
  • Laura democoach 2012/05/14 17:45:33 (edited)
    Laura
    What are you talking about? There is nothing even remotely perverted about breastfeeding. Not even a bit. I did not breastfeed for my pleasure. I breastfed to give my child the best possible start to his life. The cuddling and closeness of this bonding experience was AMAZING and I do miss it. But there was nothing sexual about it so therefore there is nothing perverted about. How could there be?

2014/07/23 13:59:53