Muslim Police Officer refuses to guard Israeli embassy - what are your thoughts?

Chaya2010 2010/04/29 08:28:53
London's police, facing an uproar over a report that a Muslim officer had been excused from guarding the Israeli embassy, said that the department decided not to use him there after the officer disclosed his concerns about a war in Lebanon.

"This is not about political correctness. I want to make it clear that this decision was taken on the basis of risk and safety," Deputy Commissioner Paul Stephenson said in a statement released by Metropolitan Police.

Commissioner Ian Blair had ordered an urgent review of the decision following a report in The Sun newspaper saying that Constable Alexander Omar Basha, who worked in the Diplomatic Protection Group, had sought to be excused from duty at the embassy because of moral objections to Israeli bombing of Lebanon.

Basha's wife is Lebanese and his father is Syrian, said Superintendent Dal Babu, chairman of the Association of Muslim Police.

Press Association, the British news agency, quoted unidentified police sources as saying the officer was willing to accept the posting, but feared reprisals against relatives in Lebanon if he was spotted guarding the embassy. Basha could not be reached for comment.

Stephenson said the department encouraged officers "to be up front and honest" about any matters which could affect their performance.

"At the height of the Israeli-Lebanon conflict in August this year the officer made his managers aware of his personal concerns, which included that he had Lebanese family members," Stephenson said.

"Whilst the Israeli embassy is not his normal posting, in view of the possibility that he could be deployed there, a risk assessment was undertaken, which is normal practice. It was as a result of this risk assessment - and not
because of the officer's personal views whatever they might have been - that the decision was taken temporarily not to deploy him to the Embassy.

"The public would expect us to conduct such a risk assessment and review the suitability of any firearms officer undertaking such duties."

Stephenson did not say what risks were discerned in this case.

Before any details of the case had been disclosed, debate raged between those who were shocked and those who dismissed it as a minor incident.

"By allowing this officer to avoid guarding the Israeli embassy, the Met has set an extraordinary and dangerous precedent," said Damian Hockney, a member of the Metropolitan Police Authority, which oversees the department.

"What happens if a Greek officer doesn't want to guard the Turkish embassy, or an anti-hunting officer refuses to protect pro-hunt demonstrators?" Hockney said.

But another authority member, Peter Herbert, said the story was a "ridiculous fuss about nothing."

"It is not uncommon for police officers to make requests of a personal nature," Herbert said. "Even officers with connections in Northern Ireland have made similar requests before."

Glen Smyth, chairman of the Metropolitan Police Federation, whose union represents lower-ranking officers, said the officer did not refuse the posting but requested another on the basis of his family circumstances.

"It is one thing for an officer to refuse to do something without giving sufficient cause, it is quite another for an officer to make a polite request which if agreed to, would result in a variation of duties," Smyth said.

Babu said he understood that moral objections were not the issue. "This is about the welfare of an individual, and not about a moral issue," Babu said in an interview with British Broadcasting Corp. radio.

"This particular officer had brought an issue forward - his wife is Lebanese, his father is from Syria - and he brought up this issue at the start of August this year, and had expressed a desire to be posted elsewhere while the war was going on," Babu said.

"He is now working normal DPG (Diplomatic Protection Group) duties, and clearly if an issue happens at the Israeli Embassy he will deal with it."

Diplomatic Protection Group officers are usually armed and are assigned to guard official buildings like the Houses of Parliament, politicians and visiting dignitaries as well as diplomats.

Two police officers with machine-guns guard were on guard Thursday outside the red-brick embassy on a quiet street in the ritzy Kensington district. Thick barriers in front of the embassy protect it from intruding vehicles, and
police deter passers-by from taking photographs.

The Israeli Embassy released a brief statement saying it had "full confidence in the ability of the Metropolitan Police force to provide the embassy with maximum security, as well as its ability to deal with this sort of grave
problem."

It later released another statement that said protecting the embassy was a "difficult problem," and expressed "full confidence in the devotion, professionalism and ability of the Metropolitan Police Force to provide the embassy with maximum security."

For further reading see following links below:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/5408470.stm
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/oct/05/ukcrime.uknews21
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23369651-met-chief...
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/770575.html

• Bronx at Night 2010/04/29 19:33:57 (edited)
    Bronx at Night
    +9
    He should be fired or kicked out of the country as a traitor... he can't even do his job ?

EDIT: My first comment was censored because I criticized radical Islam. Do we live in the USA or Mecca ?

job edit comment moderated criticized radical islam live usa mecca

• momoffour 2011/01/09 14:41:03
    momoffour
    +1
    Wow, unreal! This is very sad and I fear what can come next if we don't take a stand. How safe do you feel having an officer not willing to protect an embassy (or anything for that matter) in their own country and ALSO having all the inside information on potential attacks and threats? This is an outrage! He should be fired, he is not meeting job requirements. Period.
  • tomem 2010/05/14 02:59:15
    tomem
    +1
    I'm not surprised. The Muslims are not known for being into political correctness.
  • Chaya2010 tomem 2010/05/14 03:19:31
    Chaya2010
    Unless it's politically correct for them.
  • wombat 2010/05/04 13:48:18
    wombat
    He is doing the right thing.
  • TruBluTopaz 2010/05/01 21:39:19
    TruBluTopaz
    If they cannot trust him to do his duty under orders for this instance, what happens the next time he disagrees with someone? Either you understand that commands from officers higher up are to be obeyed or you are derelict of duty. Make a choice. I am sick and tired of people making excuses for what amounts to insubordination.
  • Gun665 2010/04/30 14:27:51
  • Extremist Soldier of Christ 2010/04/30 13:17:28
    Extremist Soldier of Christ
    +2
    BS............that reminds me of another coward in the boxing ring in my youth....didn't want to fight for our country and used Islam for an excuse..........sickness of health was the reward for refusing to fight for peace and also spitting at Yeshua when it was convenient for him. This fool should be fired, simple as that............
  • Bill in Niantic 2010/04/30 12:58:06
    Bill in Niantic
    Then Fire the (_*_).
  • Babel Fish 2010/04/30 12:41:59 (edited)
    Babel Fish
    Should i complain that Americans are debating about a UK issue as they no nothing about UK, lol Just getting a bit of revenge on those Americans moaning about me being involved with America political issues, lol

The Muslim done the right thing he should no of been detailed the person who did needs a hard thump on the head, to knock some sense into them. There could of been resentment from the embassy.
  • intolerantrwj 2010/04/30 12:31:37
    intolerantrwj
    +1
    Well, perhaps the Brit's need to reconsider their Employment Policy and what ' Does / Does Not ' preclude you from certain occupations.
  • starguide 2010/04/30 03:23:53
    starguide
    +2
    one less they have to worry about
  • Spent 2010/04/30 01:26:25
    Spent
    +3
    A Muslim has a problem with something? Oh my God no way!
  • LifeIsComedyPHAET 2010/04/30 00:47:38
    LifeIsComedyPHAET
    +1
    There seems to be absolutely nothing wrong with this.

Israeli-Lebanese conflict raised personal issues for him given his ties to Lebanon. It makes sense he wouldn't want to guard a building that houses officials who are fighting with his home country.
    It doesn't seem like his religion played into this at all, it was his ethnicity.
  • intoler... LifeIsC... 2010/04/30 12:28:06
    intolerantrwj
    +2
    So either way .. Ethnicity and / or Religion .. that allows him to discriminate .. huh .. what ? ?

.... I don't think so L C. If he doesn't want the job, the ' Entire Job ', then he should be Fired.
  • LifeIsC... intoler... 2010/04/30 21:38:31
    LifeIsComedyPHAET
    +1
    He didn't discriminate. It said that he confided some hesitations he had about guarding the Israeli embassy and his boss took care of the rest. He never outright refused to protect the embassy.

Also, I was making sure that the author knows that Religion had very little to do with this as she is known for her extremely anti-Islamic blogs.
  • Chaya2010 LifeIsC... 2010/04/30 22:12:37
    Chaya2010
    +2
    The point is a public servant whose wages, pension and benefits I pay for through my tax should not have the right to choose which assignments that take.

It's that simple and quite unambiguous really.

Obviously religion, ethnicity and nationality are the issues. What else what else could it be?

Thank Islam and the behaviour of a significant minority Muslims for my "anti-Islamic" blogs by the way . If you don't like them don't visit them it's that simple.
  • LifeIsC... Chaya2010 2010/04/30 22:16:42
    LifeIsComedyPHAET
    +1
    "Press Association, the British news agency, quoted unidentified police sources as saying the officer was willing to accept the posting, but feared reprisals against relatives in Lebanon if he was spotted guarding the embassy. Basha could not be reached for comment.

Stephenson said the department encouraged officers "to be up front and honest" about any matters which could affect their performance. "

I can understand why you'd be angry if he had outright refused to do his job, but that's not what happened here.

I'm glad you admit that it's only the minority of the Muslims that are violent and radical. That's progress.
  • Chaya2010 LifeIsC... 2010/04/30 23:11:33 (edited)
    Chaya2010
    +3
    I've never ever said all Muslims are violent ANYWHERE.

I challenge you or anybody to find those words of mine anywhere. I have said and will continue to say that Islam is inherently is violent, primitive, misogynistic and totalitarian if taken to it's logical conclusion.

I will continue to say that it is vile and antithetical to equality democracy, pluralism and secular humanist Judeo-Christian society in general.

There is "no progress" to be made it has always and will always be my position - is that clear and unambiguous enough?
  • LifeIsC... Chaya2010 2010/05/02 01:47:01
    LifeIsComedyPHAET
    They were on the post you deleted.

It's very clear, don't worry darling.
  • intoler... LifeIsC... 2010/05/01 12:28:14
    intolerantrwj
    +1
    L Comedy,

Take a look at this and tell me if you feel the same. By ' feel the same ' I mean that you still feel that this guy just had ' some reservations ' about doing that particular duty.
    Vid: http://dotsub.com/view/84f5c7...

I apologize for my Teckno Stupidity ... I still haven't figured out how to put the Vid directly into the comment .. others have told me how to do it ... that " Dumber than a Box of Rocks " might have a little to do with it.

I am a little surprised that Chaya didn't supply this vid, as she is seeing much more of the ' In your face stuff ' in her Country ... notice the Country involved in the vid.
    You may want to reconsider Chaya's input being her Gov't has let the problem get thoroughly out of control, she see's it first hand much more than we do, and she can tell us exactly how much of this has come about in her Country ... because it's contagious between Countries.
  • LifeIsC... intoler... 2010/05/02 01:51:56
    LifeIsComedyPHAET
    +1
    The people described in that film are guilty of refusing to do their jobs. They live in a different society and, thus, must assimilate by being willing to seve women who don't wear headscarfs.

However, the soldier did not demand to be taken off the duty of guarding the Israeli embassy, he mentioned his reservations to his superior who was the one who took him off the job. It would be very different if he had outright refused, then he would have been at fault.

I'd rather not discuss Chaya anymore.
  • intoler... LifeIsC... 2010/05/03 11:51:36 (edited)
    intolerantrwj
    +2
    To me and I believe most who find a problem with this, it comes down to the apparent mindset of the majority of muslims ... " We don't need to assimilate, you need to make changes and pander to us "

When you think about it L Comedy, if you had a New Neighbor move in beside you and that Newbie just sat back and minded his / her own biz, would you notice the Newbie or pay them much mind ... probably not.

If the Newbie begins and ends the day with loud, noisy parties, you'll probably take notice and complain ... these folks have pretty much moved in and gotten loud. I think CAIR is pretty much the tell all of the story.
  • LifeIsC... intoler... 2010/05/03 20:37:59
    LifeIsComedyPHAET
    +1
    Perhaps, but this story isn't one of those examples.

There are some who push the envelope but this was just a case where a man had reservations about an assignment and his superiors pulled him off the job. Besides, from the comments I've read here, the people at the embassy would probably have preferred that the man didn't guard them anyway.
    +1
    OMG - seems to me he needs to find a new job and fast. This is frightening - will we have to ask if someone is committed to their job or do their politics come first??
  • intoler... Jackie ... 2010/05/01 12:32:36
    intolerantrwj
    +1
    I think first and foremost this guys ' Boss ' should be looking for a job ... because the ' Boss ' should have been fired by his Superior for letting the entire thing get to the point it did.
  • Jackie ... intoler... 2010/05/01 18:34:37
    +1
    Fine, him too!!
  • moorrbrt1 "In God we Trust" 2010/04/29 22:42:03
    moorrbrt1 "In God we Trust"
    +3
    Would you want a Muslim guarding you if you were Israeli? The decision is just common sense. You don't put a chicken hawk to guard a chicken coop. Besides, I admire him telling how he feels to his superiors.
  • intoler... moorrbr... 2010/05/03 11:55:07
    intolerantrwj
    +1
    I agree with the 1st part ... " chicken hawk to guard the chicken ".
  • Anchored87 moorrbr... 2010/10/15 06:34:19
    Anchored87
    +4
    What I would want is a professional police officer guarding me whether I were Israeli or Jewish, British or Christian, Indian or Hindu. The point is those in public service have an obligation to put the public first. It is his duty. All explanations for this fall short of what is good for public safety. First explanation: He opposes the war against Lebanon. Sorry, that shouldn't matter. What if he opposes Britain's involvement in the war in Afghanistan? Can he say he will not guard Buckingham Palace? Second explanation: His family is from Lebanon and Syria, and to guard the Israeli embassy may put them at risk because it may be viewed by Muslim extremists as providing aid and comfort to the enemy. Again, this explanation falls short. What if London police said they would not fight gang violence because gangs would then target their families. If that were to be the case, then who would fight against the thugs in London?

Do you see my point? This police officer, and he's probably a good police officer, has taken an oath to protect and serve the public. He needs to carry out his oath.
  • A SOCK PUPPET 2010/04/29 22:17:41 (edited)
    A SOCK PUPPET
    +2
    The comments on this blog are ridiculous. He didn't say "I WILL NOT DO THIS!" he requested he not be asked to guard the embassy. I could see this being a big thing if they refused his request and then he refused, but that didn't happen.

As far as any of us know, they could have made him stay there and he would have guarded it to the best of his ability without any complaints. He's not a traitor or insubordinate for making a request.

EDIT: I'm glad to see that the moderation team is doing what they need to do.
  • Billyk75 2010/04/29 21:54:10 (edited)
    Billyk75
    +1
    If the police officer is not doing his job while on duty then either put him on suspension or fire him.
  • Theodon 2010/04/29 21:06:15
    Theodon
    +2
    double edged sword

the muslim cop should not be allowed to pick and choose his duties because of religion

but, if i was in the israeli embassy, i would not want a muslim cop guarding my safety

the sucker would be likely let in a suicide bomber for sure
  • debrarae POTL _ PWCM 2010/04/29 20:56:10
    debrarae POTL _ PWCM
    +1
    Dishonorably DISCHARGE him .........SECTION 8 and a possible COURT MARTIAL!
  • Dagon 2010/04/29 20:18:06
  • dogs voice 2010/04/29 20:10:07
  • john brenni 2010/04/29 20:08:46
    +1
    If this guy can't do his job, he should quit or get FIRED!
  • Fingon Celebrindal 2010/04/29 19:54:23 (edited)
    Fingon Celebrindal
    +1
    I suppose the London Police would soon recognize the right of Christian officer's to declare crusade.
  • zlgriff~PWCM~JLA 2010/04/29 19:52:43
    zlgriff~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    he's there to do his job, not play religious differences...he should either do his job or get fired
  • amazinggrace 2010/04/29 19:50:45
    amazinggrace
    +4
    If he can't do the job then fire him.

2014/09/19 07:57:28