Mothers Hiring Professional Birth Photographers: Reasonable or Ridiculous?

Forget the days of dad or other family members snapping photos in the delivery room. Now, a growing number of women are turning to professional photographers to document the miracle of childbirth.

In recent years, the birth photography industry has really taken off. They even have their own professional organization, the International Association of Professional Birth Photographers, which has roughly 400 members.

According to The New York Times, professional birth photographers charge anywhere from $700 to $1,900. That’s pretty pricey. But then again, these photographers do have to be available to come rushing to the hospital at a moment’s notice.

So, you may be wondering: How graphic do these birth photos actually get? Apparently, that’s a pretty common question.

Briana Kalajian, a co-owner of Shoots and Giggles Photography, told The New York Times, “People will ask if I’m going to take the National Geographic birth photo. They ask it in 10 different ways.”

The answer: During delivery, most photographers choose to stand near the mother’s head unless a crowning shot is specifically requested.

Dr. Randi Hutter Epstein, author of “Get Me Out: A History of Childbirth from the Garden of Eden to the Sperm Bank,” blames celebrity culture for the desire to turn childbirth into a photo shoot.

“There is a lot of pressure to not just cherish the birth experience but to promote it as this beautiful thing,” she said. “Then you’re going to get into your skinny jeans the next day and have a beautiful photograph of you looking absolutely beautiful and well rested with your perfect-looking baby, like all the celebrities.”

Now before you run off to find a professional birth photographer of your own, please keep in mind that many hospitals ban cameras from the delivery room.

So Sodaheads, what do you think about mothers hiring professional birth photographers? Reasonable or ridiculous?

Read More: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/17/us/now-in-the-de...

• Naked lynn.963 2012/06/27 16:26:55
    Naked
    Depending on how you go about it. Some doulas will offer their services for free and even medicaid covers a water birth. It shouldn't be "expensive" to have a non-hospital birth.
  • lynn.963 Naked 2012/06/27 16:39:00
    lynn.963
    +3
    First I don't have government insurance. So I have to pay the midwife myself because the insurance I do have does not cover it. Plus to have the place in my house that I had my children sterilized and prepared cost a pretty penny. But I really do not want to discuss anything with you. I see how you act when you don't agree with someone. Thank you for you comment.
  • Naked lynn.963 2012/06/27 16:58:40 (edited)
    Naked
    I was just explaining that it doesn't always have to be expensive. I thought it did so I didn't opt for it, but now that I've had my baby (always happens that way right? after the fact) I found out I COULD have done it. But everything about my daughters birth was expensive -___- $400k worth of injections, you'd think they'd throw the birth in for free. Honestly, you're judging me based on nothing. None of that mess up there needed to go where it did. She took things out of proportion and then when I try to make it lite by joking around you and her gang up on me, why? because of Oprah? really? that seems a little immature in its own right.
  • Jessica... lynn.963 2012/06/27 16:51:18
    JessicaLynn
    Yes and Thank you. I had all c-sections so that would have never been an option for me. I would have loved to have a natural birth, but there is something medically wrong with me that inhibited me from doing so. :(
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2012/06/18 17:19:59
    Ridiculous
    MOMMA THOMAS
    +4
    THAT IS A PRIVATE, PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.......NOT ENTERTAINMENT.
  • Inquisitve Kat 2012/06/18 17:12:38
    Ridiculous
    Inquisitve Kat
    +2
    I think it's stupid, but, if that's what you want to spend money on, go for it.
  • scbluesman13 2012/06/18 16:59:34
    Reasonable
    scbluesman13
    +4
    After seeing some of the things I've watched couples do in preparation for their first child, having a photographer hired for the occasion seems totally normal to me.
  • dvd 2012/06/18 16:54:00
  • Phantom ^-^ 2012/06/18 16:51:39
    Ridiculous
    Phantom ^-^
  • eminemfan 2012/06/18 16:40:33
    Ridiculous
    eminemfan
    +2
    well if the child is being born in the picture its not going to be a picture youre going to hang in youre living room...
  • Aquaduck 2012/06/18 16:38:17
    Ridiculous
    Aquaduck
    +2
    No thanks.
  • Faith ~American Patriot~ 2012/06/18 16:16:11
    Ridiculous
    Faith ~American Patriot~
    +2
    NO ONE wants to see that except
    For possibly the parents, and for their own private viewing, pictures they take on their own should be just fine. But hey, if someone wants to waste their money on it, that's their choice.
  • FatherLiberty 2012/06/18 16:05:31
    Reasonable
    FatherLiberty
    +3
    It is reasonable because it is a major moment in their lives and they want it documented... I understand that... but I think it is still crazy. Why not just have the husband snap some shots?
  • xXChemical_RomanticXx 2012/06/18 15:53:56
    Ridiculous
    xXChemical_RomanticXx
    +4
    Not to mention the embarrassment the child will have when they are older.
  • kobidob... xXChemi... 2012/06/18 17:27:39
    kobidobidog
    +1
    What? Humans with your mindset makes humans think negatively about birth, and nakedness too. God did not give guilt.The other guy did.
  • BlackNeko 2012/06/18 15:52:45 (edited)
    Ridiculous
    BlackNeko
    +3
    Who wants to see a nasty-gooey blood covered baby hanging on your wall when you walk into someones house...NOT ME. Lets be honest, babies arent cute until a couple of weeks-months after theyre born

New born:
    ugly new born

older baby:

al maktoum baby
  • FatherL... BlackNeko 2012/06/18 17:42:06
    FatherLiberty
    +1
    Who said it will be hanging on the wall?
  • BlackNeko FatherL... 2012/06/18 18:22:27
    BlackNeko
    +3
    I dont want to see it in a book, on a nook, on a mantle, or in a candle
    I would not want to see it in a house, on a pad for a mouse, or in a frame, I do not want to see it I claim!
    I do not want to see it large, I do not want to see it small, I do not want to see it at all!
    I do not want to see it on your desk, i quite frankly, think its grotesque!
    I would not like to see it FatherLiberty, and I think more than half agree with me!
  • Mellisa <3 2012/06/18 15:43:01
    Ridiculous
    Mellisa <3
    +2
    Unless she gets pregnant every year
  • rugrat1411 2012/06/18 15:34:13
    Reasonable
    rugrat1411
    +1
    not my money, it's not anything I want to see or show anyone, YUCK! I could wait until they were out and cleaned off before I needed pictures.
  • Vision of Verve 2012/06/18 15:27:19
  • smitty 2012/06/18 15:26:29
    Ridiculous
    smitty
  • joshua ben-ami 2012/06/18 15:21:11
    Reasonable
    joshua ben-ami
    +2
    Again this is a persons privacy issue, if as a mother you wish to have the birth documented then so be it. I seem to recall hearing that there is a cable channel that frequently broadcasts live birthing?
  • kobidob... joshua ... 2012/06/18 17:29:28
    kobidobidog
    You are godly judging yourself.
  • ImageBandit ~ American Patriot 2012/06/18 15:10:08
    Reasonable
    ImageBandit ~ American Patriot
    +3
    I am a photographer - I have shot marriages births and deaths - it is all part of thelife experience
  • Charlotte 2012/06/18 15:06:49
    Reasonable
    Charlotte
    +2
    Some parents like these mementos. What ever floats their boat.
    I personally would not went any photos snapped.
  • Jazzy 2012/06/18 15:05:03
    Reasonable
    Jazzy
    +3
    I wish I could of done it. I had 3 cameras with me and for some reason. One wouldnt stay on long enough to take any pictures and the other two took pictures but they were black and double or triple exposed. I have maybe 20 pictures that actually came out great. It sucks and still makes me want to cry.
  • Revolution 2012 2012/06/18 14:52:03 (edited)
    Ridiculous
    Revolution 2012
    +4
    I seems a bit....invasive. It might be awkward for a photographer to have to witness child birth every single day, not to mention disturbing. Having a stranger watch you give birth would be extremely uncomfortable, I imagine. It seems a little inappropriate; How about we stick to the amateur photos of a loved one, hmm?
  • FatherL... Revolut... 2012/06/18 16:02:10
    FatherLiberty
    If it is awkward for the photographer then they wouldnt take the job.
  • kobidob... Revolut... 2012/06/18 18:58:55 (edited)
    kobidobidog
    Marriage is a memory. Birth is a memory too. It should feel awkward to carry a weapon to kill someone. It should be inappropriate to not be like Jesus is. Humans freak out about this, but march into war calling it good? Humans have been conditioned to worry about what amounts to nothing.
  • OhPuhleze 2012/06/18 14:50:09
    Ridiculous
    OhPuhleze
    +3
    Having assisted at two home births I have no problem saying this is really silly. When a woman is pushing hard to get a baby out they last thing they want is a photographer snapping shots of their strained nether regions. A woman changes rapidly during the final stages of birth from "oh we're finally having a baby" to "get this (*&^%%$# thing out and stay the &^#@# out of my way."
  • Quiet-is-feared 2012/06/18 14:48:51
    Ridiculous
    Quiet-is-feared
    +5
    Yes...
    because everyone wants to remember the graphic images of those times.
  • smitty Quiet-i... 2012/06/18 15:30:47
    smitty
    +2
    I watched my wife give birth. Nothing picture worthy of that. The bundles of joy they produce are picture worthy.

I worked at a company. A woman's daughter had a child and she had pictures. The first picture was the baby. She walked over to me (she was a proud grandma) and said want to see picture of my grandbaby. I said sure. Well the 4th picture was a picture of the birth. It was nasty. The last thing I expected to see that day was a teenage girl giving birth.

Her response? I guess I should take those out. I said yup pretty much.
  • Venus in Furs 2012/06/18 14:30:10
    Ridiculous
    Venus in Furs
    +6
    I wouldn't want anyone taking photos of me while I was giving birth, no thanks.
  • lolitalovely 2012/06/18 14:25:04
    Reasonable
    lolitalovely
    +1
    Their choice. I wouldn't. I'm yucky looking from having a child, paying you what I saved by having a midwife deliver instead of a doctor, and have to revisit that memory through photos. No thanks. I'm not going to do that, but they can.
  • Franklin 2012/06/18 13:36:38
    Ridiculous
    Franklin
    +3
    ...it is ridiculous that this is taking up space on the header of news & Politics ...its entertainment or living but NOT NEWS !
  • dvd Franklin 2012/06/18 16:54:41
  • Funboy 2012/06/18 13:34:09 (edited)
    Ridiculous
    Funboy
    +2
    This is absurd! What about some privacy??.... Soon we will c ppl r hiring photographers to capture the first moment of sex!!!! This is way above .... I'm outta words.
  • wackychocolate221 2012/06/18 13:08:12
    Ridiculous
    wackychocolate221
    +5
    Why not ask the husband? Use someone that they are comfortable with. I mean I wouldn't want someone I didn't even know too take pictures of me giving birth.
  • GoodEncounter 2012/06/18 12:59:42
    Ridiculous
    GoodEncounter
    +3
    Who wants more strangers in the room while you're delivering your child? Yuck!

2014/12/21 17:59:15