Mothers Hiring Professional Birth Photographers: Reasonable or Ridiculous?

Forget the days of dad or other family members snapping photos in the delivery room. Now, a growing number of women are turning to professional photographers to document the miracle of childbirth.

In recent years, the birth photography industry has really taken off. They even have their own professional organization, the International Association of Professional Birth Photographers, which has roughly 400 members.

According to The New York Times, professional birth photographers charge anywhere from $700 to $1,900. That’s pretty pricey. But then again, these photographers do have to be available to come rushing to the hospital at a moment’s notice.

So, you may be wondering: How graphic do these birth photos actually get? Apparently, that’s a pretty common question.

Briana Kalajian, a co-owner of Shoots and Giggles Photography, told The New York Times, “People will ask if I’m going to take the National Geographic birth photo. They ask it in 10 different ways.”

The answer: During delivery, most photographers choose to stand near the mother’s head unless a crowning shot is specifically requested.

Dr. Randi Hutter Epstein, author of “Get Me Out: A History of Childbirth from the Garden of Eden to the Sperm Bank,” blames celebrity culture for the desire to turn childbirth into a photo shoot.

“There is a lot of pressure to not just cherish the birth experience but to promote it as this beautiful thing,” she said. “Then you’re going to get into your skinny jeans the next day and have a beautiful photograph of you looking absolutely beautiful and well rested with your perfect-looking baby, like all the celebrities.”

Now before you run off to find a professional birth photographer of your own, please keep in mind that many hospitals ban cameras from the delivery room.

So Sodaheads, what do you think about mothers hiring professional birth photographers? Reasonable or ridiculous?

Read More: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/17/us/now-in-the-de...

• Blunder... Pet Roc... 2012/06/19 19:40:16
    BlunderWoman ~ FTGOP~ BN 0
    +3
    In birth class, my doula told us that you can expect to add an attitional 1-2 hours to the birth for each person present in the delivery room. In other words, more people = longer birth. No thank you! Lol.
  • Pet Roc... Blunder... 2012/06/21 05:22:55 (edited)
    Pet Rock Whisperer
    +1
    my son dbl crossed us when he was born. I had planned on going into the delivery room with a miner's helmet and a catcher's mitt. Figured that would make a great Kodak moment. He had a different plan. Showed up 7.5 weeks early, the day before we were to start the birthing class. He was 3 lbs 7.5 oz and spent his first 32 days in NICU in an incubator. He was healthy, just small. So small he couldn't maintain his body temp too well outside the incubator. So small his first clothes were cabbage patch doll clothes. A baby that size isn't such a big deal nowadays. But it was a real big deal when he was born 25 yrs ago last March. Now he's taller and heavier than me!
  • Blunder... Pet Roc... 2012/06/21 15:08:57
    BlunderWoman ~ FTGOP~ BN 0
    +1
    Wow! Isn't technology just amazing? I can only imagine the feeling of being able to bring him home after those 32 days. About the doll clothes, my friend had her baby about 6 weeks early, and I brought some preemie clothes I found at a store, but even those were way too big!
  • Pet Roc... Blunder... 2012/06/21 17:52:50 (edited)
    Pet Rock Whisperer
    +1
    then

now
  • Blunder... Pet Roc... 2012/06/22 01:04:45
    BlunderWoman ~ FTGOP~ BN 0
    +1
    :) You must be so proud!
  • Pet Roc... Blunder... 2012/06/22 03:05:18
    Pet Rock Whisperer
    +1
    Ya know, I really am. He's a man of true character which I really admire and respect. The fact he's also my son, just makes it all that much better.
  • Blunder... Pet Roc... 2012/06/22 16:34:27
    BlunderWoman ~ FTGOP~ BN 0
    +1
    That is so sweet. One rave isn't enough, I wish I could rave you a thousand times!
  • bettyboop 2012/06/19 00:18:20 (edited)
    Reasonable
    bettyboop
    +2
    If that is what the mother and father want, then so be it. I personally see nothing wrong with it. I mean yes a vaginal birth is bloody and messy with all the mucous and fluid gushing out. You cannot believe a vagina can stretch that big, but it is not something that happens every day.

http://hcp.obgyn.net/image/im...
    cow giving birth
  • Maci bettyboop 2012/06/19 05:11:05
  • Tim Upham bettyboop 2012/06/21 06:06:35
    Tim Upham
    Why not have some beautiful, sentimental photographs of expelling your placenta.
  • bettyboop Tim Upham 2012/06/21 13:40:09
  • Tim Upham bettyboop 2012/06/21 22:04:27
    Tim Upham
    "Isn't it adorable." I will be the godfather at its christening.
  • bettyboop Tim Upham 2012/06/24 12:51:11
    bettyboop
    Many cultures eat it
  • Tim Upham bettyboop 2012/06/28 18:34:37
    Tim Upham
    +1
    Placenta stroganoff sounds interesting.
  • bettyboop Tim Upham 2012/06/29 09:41:07
    bettyboop
    You can have my serving lol
  • *~Amelie~* 2012/06/18 23:41:59
    Ridiculous
    *~Amelie~*
    +3
    It's bad enough having to have all the people in there that you do without having a stranger with a camera in there too.

With my first birth, I didn't allow any photos until after the whole thing was finished. (a good job really considering I had a natural birth followed by a caesarean when the second twin wouldn't move down). It's a traumatic experience - you have your children to remember it by, you don't need it ALL captured on camera.
  • TasselLady *~Amelie~* 2012/06/19 00:18:48
    TasselLady
    +2
    I hear that. That's why I can't understand why they want to do it. Just another "reality" show. We don't need anymore. Real life is crazy enough!!!
  • ladyjane 2012/06/18 23:30:19
    Ridiculous
    ladyjane
    +2
    What will they think of next? This is so far out there!
  • dandieselonian 2012/06/18 23:13:46
    Ridiculous
    dandieselonian
    +2
    I bet they use the close up lense for those cone head shots
  • HBO 2012/06/18 22:18:25
    Ridiculous
    HBO
    +3
    With my first child I didn't even want all the people there watching, my sons dad, his mom and sister, my mom and my cousin. If they had cameras pointing at my hoohah it would have gotten ugly. My next 2 were peaceful, but never would I hire a stranger to film me giving birth. While it is a beautiful event, it is actually a very messy process and I have no need to show it to my friends and family or watch it for myself. The experience was quite enough.
  • Deb 2012/06/18 22:13:06
    Ridiculous
    Deb
    +1
    My brothers and I were all born in Navy Hospitals.....so, if that was available back then, it would have been a huge waste of money! Also, my Dad wouldn't have permitted it. I and my brother are the same in that way of thinking, I wouldn't want a STRANGER taking very personal and private photos..and my brother (Marine) wouldn't even have to verbalize it. they would be banned on sight! Stupid idea! I was high-risk, too many things can go wrong during birth....What are these people thinking??
  • GaolBlaze 2012/06/18 21:44:18 (edited)
    Ridiculous
    GaolBlaze
    +2
    That is disgusting. What about modesty?
  • HBO GaolBlaze 2012/06/18 22:43:17
    HBO
    +2
    LOL, there is no modesty when giving birth ! You still have strangers (the nurses) and the doctor, who you might not even meet before birth, with their heads and hands all up between your legs for as long as you are in the hospital. Then when you are recovering they have to check you every few hours or so and see how your stitches are, and if your not losing too much blood when they press on your stomach, when they help you go to the bathroom for the first time after birth, etc. You get the idea. Modesty has NO place in the delivery room. If you're that modest then good luck with a home birth with only a midwife to help, because that's about as modest as it gets !
  • GaolBlaze HBO 2012/06/19 20:34:15
    GaolBlaze
    +1
    Yeah, but that lasts for how long? A photo lasts forever. Whatever about people having to do that, I for one wouldn't want to have it recorded.
  • Tim Upham HBO 2012/06/21 06:17:26
    Tim Upham
    What about the good ole days, when people lived together in a long house, and when the woman went into labor, she went out to a special hut that was built for her. If she came back with the baby, then she survived. No stitches, no examination to see if the all the placenta was expelled. If it took three days to have the kid, only you knew.
  • HBO Tim Upham 2012/06/29 10:14:47
    HBO
    All I can say is thank God for modern medicine. I wouldn't wish giving birth alone in a hut on my worst enemy !
  • TasselLady GaolBlaze 2012/06/19 00:19:35
    TasselLady
    +1
    I guess there's no such thing anymore. After all there's porn too, and THOSE people sure aren't modest.
  • GaolBlaze TasselLady 2012/06/19 20:34:53
    GaolBlaze
    Well, porn is an entirely different set up :P The average punter should try to be, though...
  • Tresa 2012/06/18 21:35:41
    Ridiculous
    Tresa
    +2
    I agree that childbirth is a wonderful natural occurrence but on the flip side there are many "natural" risk involved for both mother and child. Let the medical professionals do their job and then afterwards let the photographers have their turn.
  • bags the Indigenous Guru 2012/06/18 21:29:18
    Ridiculous
    bags the Indigenous Guru
  • dandies... bags th... 2012/06/18 23:14:46
    dandieselonian
    snookie like to see her close up shot
  • gkirmani 2012/06/18 20:59:09
    Ridiculous
    gkirmani
    +2
    Most idiotic ImmOral and silly
  • Margaret Jacobson 2012/06/18 20:44:07
    Ridiculous
    Margaret Jacobson
    +2
    I hope it is just a fad that will pass !!!!!! SOON I HOPE
  • Ev Rom 2012/06/18 20:43:12
    Ridiculous
    Ev Rom
    +2
    I am photographer and I think its kind of crazy. Giving birth is such personal thing. I was gonna say why don't we have pro pics of the baby being conceived, but we already porn...
  • moarcowbell 2012/06/18 20:35:53
    Ridiculous
    moarcowbell
    +2
    .......Thats just weird and unnecessary
  • Alexis 2012/06/18 20:20:18
    Reasonable
    Alexis
    +2
    I would want really nice photos of my child's birth, but I wouldn't want a photographer getting photos of my vagina while it's looking like that!
  • gocar Alexis 2012/06/18 23:34:08
    gocar
    They would have needed another choice here because it would all depend on what will be photographed. A very new born is nice. The mother's face yes, the father, yes, nothing gross.
  • Alexis gocar 2012/06/19 01:27:47
    Alexis
    Right, I wouldn't feel comfortable enough nor would I ever show photos of the actual child coming out. After it came out, yes id love to have photos of the baby afterwards.
  • TasselLady 2012/06/18 20:20:09
    Ridiculous
    TasselLady
    +2
    Sure, if you like your crotch to be shown to everybody on the internet.
  • HBO TasselLady 2012/06/18 22:44:51
    HBO
    Well, you don't have to put it on the internet.

2014/11/25 20:53:15