Morgan Freeman: "Obama Is Not America's First Black President": Agree?

Fef 2012/07/09 05:12:25
Morgan Freeman does not consider President Barack Obama "America's first black president." The Oscar-winning actor black actor told NPR's 'Tell Me More' host Michel Martin: First thing that always pops into my head regarding our president is that all of the people who are setting up this barrier for him ... they just conveniently forget that Barack had a mama, and she was white — very white American, Kansas, middle of America," Freeman said. "There was no argument about who he is or what he is. America's first black president hasn't arisen yet. He's not America's first black president — he's America's first mixed-race president.
NPR.ORG reports:
The Oscar-winning actor known for films such as The Shawshank Redemption and The Dark Knight talks about his latest project, The Magic of Belle Isle, and his interests outside film — including presidential politics.
knight talks latest project magic belle isle film presidential politics

Read More: http://www.npr.org/2012/07/05/156212527/morgan-fre...

• Hillary... Wesloco 2012/07/10 22:22:06
    HillaryLover
    Only because you want to see him as Black and because he is married to a Black American woman. But look at his background. Look at his campaign team. Look at his administration. George W. Bush had more high profile blacks in his administration than has Obama. Obama uses his African heritage to secure Black American support, but how many of his many townhall meetings are anywhere near Black American communities?
  • Wesloco Hillary... 2012/07/10 23:08:15
    Wesloco
    +1
    Only because I want to see him as black? That has to be the most asinine response I've ever received and I've received my share of them. If I saw Barack Hussein Obama in a bar and didn't know anything about him I would greet him like this, "wasup brother?" Get over it KLTL!
  • Hillary... Wesloco 2012/07/11 00:02:36
    HillaryLover
    And he was born in Hawaii to a White American woman. Those are the facts that qualifies him to be POTUS. If he had ben born in Kenya to an African father he would not be eligible to be POTUS. That said: How can you ignore his White American half?
  • Wesloco Hillary... 2012/07/11 03:09:52
    Wesloco
    +1
    How can I ignore his white American half? I'm not ignoring it but American society does for the most part. If a child is half black, for the most part except for this president, they are considered black. Look at Tiger Woods, he tried to convince the world that he was not black but rather biracial and the world reminded him that he may be half something but really he is BLACK!
  • aneed2know Wesloco 2012/07/11 05:22:53
    aneed2know
    +1
    Because he is black. I use to have this guy from Eritrea who worked with me and he swore up and down he was not black. So one weekend we went to a club and there were these ignorant awful and very disrespectful guys from the rural areas of my state, who showed him real quick that he was black, by words and actions.
  • Hillary... aneed2know 2012/07/11 06:14:28
    HillaryLover
    So a bunch of ignorant ass rednecks from rural Ohio defined your co-worker? And, you agreed with them?
  • aneed2know Hillary... 2012/07/11 06:29:53
    aneed2know
    nope, not at all, i just wanted him to know, that in the eyes of the greater or dominant culture he is a black man. That is living in reality, and yeah i agreed with them he is a black man living in America.

Look we live in a imperfect world and ignoring it will only serve to keep the imperfections from being corrected, i see the world as it is and i strive to effect it positively as mush as i can. Yes i come off a little crass on SH, but try as i might there will always be some idiot who will push the buttons and yes i get defensive how could i not be when some one tells me " the only reason i voted for Obama or support Obama is because he is black", hell yeah that pisses me off, and it should piss off everyone. So yeah i strike out and will continue to do so, but still i strive to create a world where fairness is the act of the day, as should everyone.
  • Hillary... aneed2know 2012/07/11 21:35:11
    HillaryLover
    I have been a subscriber of Ebony and Jet magazine for about 50 years. As you know, Ebony and Jet are published in Chicago. Prior to 2004 I don't recalled a single article or profile piece on Barack Obama. I suspect there might have been a blip about him when Bobby Rush kicked his bony butt, but not much else. So what had this famous "community organizer" done for the betterment of the southside?

Why did Charley Rangel, Andrew Young, Maxine Water, Ron Dellums, Shelia Jackson Lee, Maya Angelou, Robert Johnson, David Dinkins, and even John Lewis before his constituents forced him to switch, and other prominent Blacks, support Hillary Clinton?
  • aneed2know Hillary... 2012/07/12 04:17:43
    aneed2know
    Lets see "Why did Charley Rangel, Andrew Young, Maxine Water, Ron Dellums, Shelia Jackson Lee, Maya Angelou, Robert Johnson, David Dinkins, and even John Lewis before his constituents forced him to switch, and other prominent Blacks, support Hillary Clinton?"

Uhmm i dont know because its politics, why is Sheldon Addelson supporting Romney now?
  • Hillary... aneed2know 2012/07/12 05:10:17
    HillaryLover
    Why did 97% of Blacks vote for Barack Obama over six other candidates (Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden, John Edwards, Chris Dodd, Bill Richardson, Dennis Kucinich), in the 2008 Democratic primaries? Politics or racism?
  • aneed2know Hillary... 2012/07/12 05:36:03
    aneed2know
    Why is this question only asked of black people, why did all of the south save two states vote for McCain, is it because he is white?
  • Hillary... aneed2know 2012/07/12 08:07:27
    HillaryLover
    As a matter of fact, yes. That is the primary reason that the south voted for McCain. On the other side of the coin, In the 2008 Democratic primaries, Obama won all of the southern states that had the largest Black populations - NC, SC, VA, GA, MS, AL, LA, etc.
  • aneed2know Hillary... 2012/07/12 08:26:01
    aneed2know
    it could not have been because they thought he was the best for the job, nope cant be that it has to be because he is black, right?.
  • Hillary... aneed2know 2012/07/12 08:59:46
    HillaryLover
    Right. How could they (or anyone) think that a junior senator with two years in office could be better than the other Democratic candidates - including Kucinich.

So why did I vote for him in the general election (I voted for hillary in the primary)? Because I am a staunch, lifelong Democrat. I NEVER vote Republican. However, of the seven major Democratic candidates in 2008, Barack Obama was my sixth choice.
  • aneed2know Hillary... 2012/07/12 09:28:18
    aneed2know
    +1
    see now you are being offensive to me and other blacks and i choose not to continue with you.

For you to sit here and tell me or any other person who happens to black, that all we care about is blackness, is not only insulting and disgusting.

Good bye
  • Wesloco aneed2know 2012/07/11 18:00:28
    Wesloco
    +1
    That's exactly what I'm saying. If president Obama had been with you that night there would have been no discussion about his white mother, he would have been just another black man.
  • aneed2know Wesloco 2012/07/12 04:18:12
  • aneed2know Hillary... 2012/07/11 05:20:45
    aneed2know
    By Birth he is the same as me, i have a white great great, grandfather a Native American great grandmother and a little some thing else thrown in, so in essence i could say i am bi-racial, but you know what when people see me, you know what they see a BLACK MAN.

So please don't pay this semantics game with me, it wont work, now if you want to debate honestly we can debate honestly, but you know what i have this feeling all you want is a argument that will lead no where. So good bye i gave my statement and if you weren't so busy trying to find some thing to disagree with you would know what i said made sense.
  • susan aneed2know 2012/07/10 12:55:14 (edited)
    susan
    +3
    Absolutely. To paraphrase Martin Luther King, Jr., as long as we keep emphasizing the color of one's skin, the content of one's character and one's policies are not allowed to be seen.
    Racism, both by whites, blacks and others, had been declining across America. The current administration in Washington has used the race card to build its political base, and has done serious damage to the progress toward King's dream of equality and the recognition of character and ability for all races.
  • jimmy d susan 2012/07/10 13:25:12
    jimmy d
    +2
    well stated...
  • 4570GOVT susan 2012/07/10 14:34:05
    4570GOVT
    +1
    You are correct . until we stop referring to people as black, white or Hispanic we will always have this problem.
  • Wesloco susan 2012/07/10 18:55:20
    Wesloco
    +1
    How exactly have they used the race card? I think quite to the contrary, Barack Hussein Obama's presidency has served to show us how little progress has been made in race relations since the days of King!
  • aneed2know Wesloco 2012/07/11 05:45:03
    aneed2know
    +1
    thank you, the only thing president Obama did was to run and win, some people love to say " see we have a black president, we are not a racist country" when in reality these people who say this, have no day to day interaction with anyone other than their own skin color. Where as black, brown, yellow and red must walk the tight rope between two worlds both of them putting pressure on the individual. I have seen this in my own life, one the black world telling me i am acting too white and then the white world telling me i am not white enough.

Its not overt racism, but its there, example of this is i was leaving work one morning, walking to the back parking lot and a police man drives up to me and ask me what i am doing, i said why? He said because he got a call from the front desk guy and was told there is a suspicious black man in our back parking lot. I immediately told him bull, you did not get a call, and i know this because i work here and i am the only guy who worked last night and guess what the person that came in was a woman. So why are you really stopping me, said nothing but sped off.

That is the racism some of these people who claim it is getting better will never experience. Now i am sure they have felt some form of racism, but i am willing to bet not institutional racism.
  • Wesloco aneed2know 2012/07/11 18:06:04
  • aneed2know susan 2012/07/11 05:33:18
    aneed2know
    what a load of crap, explain to me how president Obama has done any of what you are accusing him of, what he decided to run and that some how divided America. I got news for you and anyone else who would dare make the claim that racism was on the declined.

News flash for ya, if you dont live with racism directed at you every day of course you will think its on the decline. Ask those 650k black and Hispanic people in New York who are stopped and frisked if racism is on the decline. Or better yet go ask Oscar Grant if racism is on the decline, go ask the family of the man who was ran over and killed if racism is on the decline.

You dont know this because you live in a world where you dont have to fear being stopped by police for no other reason other than the color of your skin. No you dont know this because you live in your " LILLY WHITE" world where i doubt very seriously you come in contact with any one other than white, or if you do come into contact with some one other than being white, it is to bag your groceries or some other menial work.

So in short, i knew there would be some idiot trying to twist my words, and guess what granny, you won the idiot the prize.

In short F YOU
  • Lee aneed2know 2012/07/10 14:57:39
    Lee
    +1
    Is Morgan Freeman Black?

I would say, generally speaking, that he is.

But I don't think he is by his own definition.

There's plenty of Caucasian in his phenotype.
  • Wesloco Lee 2012/07/10 18:56:29
    Wesloco
    +1
    What is phenotype? I couldn't find it in the dictionary.
  • Lee Wesloco 2012/07/10 19:11:23 (edited)
    Lee
    +1
    It's basically your appearance.

There's your genotype and your phenotype.

The phenotype usually reflects your genotype, but not always.

The genotype is your actual genetic structure, and you phenotype is your appearance.

• Wesloco Lee 2012/07/10 20:21:33
    Wesloco
    +1
    Yeah, from my classes in etymology, that's kind of what I thought remembering pheno to mean appering as or seeming. Thanks!
  • Lee Wesloco 2012/07/10 21:42:01 (edited)
    Lee
    +2
    You're welcome.
  • aneed2know Lee 2012/07/11 05:45:19
    aneed2know
    exactly
  • Wesloco aneed2know 2012/07/10 18:49:45
    Wesloco
    +1
    You gave some real valid observations but where I am still unclear is why you agree with Morgan that the president is not black.
  • aneed2know Wesloco 2012/07/11 05:47:48 (edited)
    aneed2know
    +1
    "I agree with Morgan, but if we look at historically who was considered black and who was not, we then have the one drop rule."

That was the opening, technically he is bi-racial, but i also understand the culture and terminology of my country and the one drop rule still applies rather these people want to admit it or not..
  • Wesloco aneed2know 2012/07/11 18:12:49 (edited)
    Wesloco
    +1
    Yeah and even beyond the one drop rule let's be frank, if Barack Hussein Obama were not president and he were taking a morning stroll in some suburban neighborhood, more than one neighbor would call the police to report a suspicious black man who could meet the fate Trayvon Martin met.
  • aneed2know Wesloco 2012/07/12 04:19:42
  • shadow76 2012/07/10 06:20:30
    Agree, Obama's not the first black president.
    shadow76
    +4
    I thought that was Bill Clinton!
  • Myopinionmatters 2012/07/10 06:08:06
    Myopinionmatters
    +3
    Well I was getting more onto the point that he really isnt a president, but you know, Freeman's comment is valid.
  • JohnT 2012/07/10 05:25:51
    JohnT
    +1
    On a technicality he is correct, but how many of us are purebred? I am german, english and Irish. So does that mean the President must be pure African, or ?
  • 5iveOBeats JohnT 2012/07/10 05:53:16
    5iveOBeats
    +4
    Yes dear, He has to be pure African to claim that title of first black president. BLACK IS AFRICA.
  • aneed2know 5iveOBeats 2012/07/10 06:40:56
    aneed2know
    +3
    you are wrong, black people traditionally have come from Africa, but there are so many people in this world whose ancestors did not come from Africa recently and they are darker than me. And when i say recently i am not talking about the last 50 years or even the last 300 years, i am talking in a historical time line.

2014/10/22 03:21:17