More Proof That Obama's Administration Is Trying To Destroy The Constitution.

zbacku 2012/03/12 18:01:29
Care To Comment?
What Do You Think?
Heck, I Can't Rent A Movie Without I.D. Why Should We Let Just Anyone Walk In And Vote Without Knowing Who They Are?
Justice Dept opposes Texas voter ID lawAssociated PressBy PETE YOST | Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Justice Department's civil rights division on Monday objected to a new photo ID requirement for voters in Texas because many Hispanic voters lack state-issued identification.

Texas follows South Carolina as the second state in recent months to become embroiled in a court battle with the Justice Department over new photo ID requirements for voters.

Photo ID laws have become a point of contention in the 2012 elections. Liberal groups have said the requirements are the product of Republican-controlled state governments and are aimed at disenfranchising people who tend to vote Democratic — African-Americans, Hispanics, people of low-income and college students.

Proponents of such legislation say the measures are aimed at combating voter fraud. But advocacy groups for minorities and the poor dispute that and argue there is no evidence of significant voter fraud.

In regard to Texas, "I cannot conclude that the state has sustained its burden" of showing that the newly enacted law has neither a discriminatory purpose nor effect, Thomas E. Perez, the head of the Justice Department's civil rights division, said in a letter to the Texas secretary of state.

Texas Attorney General Greg Abbot has said the Obama administration is hostile to laws like the one passed last year in Texas.

The National Conference of State Legislatures called the voter ID issue "the hottest topic of legislation in the field of elections in 2011," with legislation introduced in 34 states.

The department had been reviewing the Texas law since last year and discussing the matter with state officials. In January, Texas officials sued U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder, seeking a court judgment that the state's recently enacted voter ID law was not discriminatory in purpose or effect.

As a state with a history of voter discrimination, Texas is required under section 5 of the Voting Rights Act to get advance approval of voting changes from either the Justice Department or the U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C.

In a letter to Texas officials that was also filed in the court case in Washington, the Justice Department said Hispanic voters in Texas are more than twice as likely than non-Hispanic voters to lack a driver's license or personal state-issued photo ID. The department said that even the lowest estimates showed about half of Hispanic registered voters lack such identification.

The range was so broad because the state provided two sets of registered voter data.

In December, the Justice Department rejected South Carolina's voter ID law on grounds it makes it harder for minorities to cast ballots. It was the first voter ID law to be rejected by the department in nearly 20 years.

In response, South Carolina sued Holder; the state argued that enforcement of its new law will not disenfranchise any voters.

Other states have moved toward photo ID requirements in the past year.

Alabama has a photo ID law, but it does not go in effect until 2014. Mississippi voters approved a photo ID law, but the state legislature has not yet adopted enabling legislation. The Justice Department has not yet reviewed the initiatives in either state.

The Justice Department has said it is reviewing voter ID laws in other states, but has not identified which ones.

Read More: http://news.yahoo.com/justice-dept-opposes-texas-v...

• DM Twin 2012/03/12 19:12:00
    Heck, I Can't Rent A Movie Without I.D. Why Should We Let Just Anyone Walk In...
    DM Twin
    +3
    When the Republican Super Majority is in place...EVERY STATE IN THE UNION WILL HAVE A VOTER ID LAW IN PLACE....You want to VOTE...PROVE YOU ARE A LEGAL CITIZEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...

• Flamingolady 2012/03/12 19:30:21
    Flamingolady
    +1
    Well, why wouldn't BO try to stop this? The more illegals he supports, the more to vote for him. And here are some things to consider on top of this BS.
  • DM Twin 2012/03/12 19:12:00
    DM Twin
    +3
  • Flaming... DM Twin 2012/03/12 19:31:59
    Flamingolady
    +1
    Let's TRY to get BO to prove he is a natural born citizen in the meantime, too!!!
  • Dale 2012/03/12 18:11:41
    Dale
    +1
    If you drive, you have a photo ID. If you cash a check, you need a photo ID. If you ride on an airplane, you need a photo ID. There are literally dozens of activities that require photo ID's. Why is it so difficult for me to understand what is wrong with having a photo ID to vote, or how these people that are legally able to vote will be disenfranchised?

2014/10/22 09:55:37