More Men are Taking 'Pink Collar' Jobs: OK or Unfair?

Times are tough out there! Jobs are few and far between, for men and women. And men particularly are exploring some traditionally female-dominated professions. The New York Times reports that between 2000 and 2010 "occupations that are more than 70 percent female accounted for almost a third of all job growth for men, double the share of the previous decade."

As traditionally male jobs in construction and manufacturing dry up, men are branching out, and many are pleasantly surprised to find stability, as well as less stress in some cases and more time at home, according to the report. The Times says: "While women continue to make inroads into prestigious, high-wage professions dominated by men, more men are reaching for the dream in female-dominated occupations that their fathers might never have considered." Dental assistants, receptionists, nurses... it's all fair game. Or is it? Are men taking spots women have worked for years to earn?

• darazan 2012/06/15 00:09:19
    OK
    darazan
    +3
    ...Are we really complaining about men "taking" women's jobs while more women are seeking work in traditionally male-dominated jobs?

A job is a job, and equality is supposed to be equal for all. In a society that is touting equality, why do some try to make a big deal about things being equal? A woman who is qualified should be able to get a job as a construction worker or a CEO of a company just as well as a man who is qualified should be able to get a job as a receptionist or nurse. Why let traditionally sexist roles define who can and who cannot get a job? Isn't that promoting sexism and not gender equality?
  • Platinum Fangs 2012/06/14 22:39:44
    OK
    Platinum Fangs
    +4
    Money is money. It's a lousy economy. Quit your bitching and be grateful you can get a job. There's probably 1 job for every 10 people in the U.s. at best.
  • Gwen 2012/06/14 22:14:26
    OK
    Gwen
    +1
    It's fine. I've met a male nurse before.
  • gvc 2012/06/14 21:24:22
    OK
    gvc
    +4
    In this economy you take whatever job you can find.
    Personally, I would hire the most qualified without regard to sex. Correct me if I am wrong, isn't that the LAW???
  • RoyDMer... Pixie·Ÿ... 2012/06/14 18:05:30
    RoyDMercer - IFOTFD
    +2
    Maybe we should found a male version of Hooters. Would you call it "Peckers", "Dongs", "Stiffies", something like that?
  • Pixie·Ÿ... RoyDMer... 2012/06/14 18:06:26
  • RoyDMer... Pixie·Ÿ... 2012/06/14 18:08:57 (edited)
    RoyDMercer - IFOTFD
    +1
    Heck yeah, but not orange shorts. I am thinking we serve tables wearing those tight boxerbriefs and maybe sleeveless shirts.
  • Pixie·Ÿ... RoyDMer... 2012/06/14 18:09:47
  • RoyDMer... Pixie·Ÿ... 2012/06/14 18:11:11
    RoyDMercer - IFOTFD
    +2
    OK, but if it is a thong, it has to be camouflage. Or maybe the front of the thong has a roosters head in 3-D so the patrons can reach down and rub our peckers, I mean beaks.
  • Pixie·Ÿ... RoyDMer... 2012/06/14 18:34:04
  • RoyDMer... Pixie·Ÿ... 2012/06/14 18:39:49
    RoyDMercer - IFOTFD
    +1
    There ya go. You know, in order to feed him, you gotta lift the trunk...
  • Pixie·Ÿ... RoyDMer... 2012/06/14 18:43:57
  • William... RoyDMer... 2012/06/15 14:56:35
    William Tremblay
    +1
    I think this is just what you're looking for:

:D
  • Just Jenn for Now 2012/06/14 17:45:26
    OK
    Just Jenn for Now
    +1
    It is a free country. Who says they can't? Women have taken positions that were dominated by men in the past. It's not a bad thing to swap around.
  • Merhabi Daham 2012/06/14 17:10:57
    OK
    Merhabi Daham
    +1
    How could this be considered unfair? You get a job because you're qualified, mostly. There is nothing wrong with men taking more traditionally 'feminine' jobs, maybe all those women who moved into the fast lane of the business world and have realized the massive stress involved will feel cheated, but all's fair in war. And in this economy getting a job is war.
  • moviebuff 2012/06/14 17:10:27
    OK
    moviebuff
    +2
    Times are tough, you gotta do what you gotta do
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2012/06/14 16:47:53
    OK
    MOMMA THOMAS
    +2
    I SEE IT AS EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY......
  • Trish 2012/06/14 16:39:10
    OK
    Trish
    +2
    If you find a job take it.
  • vet4freedom 2012/06/14 15:46:59
    Unfair
    vet4freedom
    +3
    Every state has a militia . I suggest you join your .
  • KrSpo 2012/06/14 15:16:07
    OK
    KrSpo
    +2
    I think it's great! May the best PERSON win!!
  • pandorasbox40 2012/06/14 15:00:42
    OK
    pandorasbox40
    +2
    A job is a job,sometimes you take what you can get
  • rugrat1411 2012/06/14 14:53:27
    OK
    rugrat1411
    +2
    In this day and age it's every person for themselves. We all need jobs and as long as he is getting it because he is better than I'm ok with it.
  • Flowers 2012/06/14 13:58:46
    OK
    Flowers
    +1
    I'm glad there are only 8% of responders who think it's unfair. There is hope for this place yet. Why would people be more worried about which jobs are gender-specific than on whether the person is CAPABLE of doing a good job. Who the eff cares if a guy is a nurse. Does he have compassion for the patient? does he know how to be gentle when it's needed? great, he will make a great nurse.
  • Maci 2012/06/14 13:42:13
  • ģhøṡτ øώl 2012/06/14 13:32:50
    Unfair
    ģhøṡτ øώl
    +2
    I don't know. Our society is getting pretty wussified. It's gonna be pretty funny when society collapses and there's a bunch of worthless, wimpy guys with no survival skills or brawn.
  • Grammar... ģhøṡτ øώl 2012/06/15 11:55:05
    Grammar Freak
    +1
    I do agree with that to a certain extent.
    However, since there are already a load of worthless, wimpy wusses out there, we have to do something with them. It's better that they're receptionists than on the dole.
  • ģhøṡτ øώl Grammar... 2012/06/15 12:17:03
    ģhøṡτ øώl
    +1
    Ehhh. I guess. But in my opinion the reason things are the way they are (in all instances) is because we are accepting of them. And now encouraging even. There's plenty of other things for wimpy dudes to do other than jobs that have typically been reserved for women. All this crap stems from people's immature need to be obstinate (rebellious) and constantly change or deviate from "the norm". Look at the past 30 years of American sociological/cultural platform. Bending and twisting and blurring the lines between things. It's pretty ridiculous, obnoxious and even pathetic in some instances. The stupid ditches people fall into to fulfill their egos and supposed "individuality" are sad. Not saying this applies exactly to this query, but in a round-about way it does.
  • Grammar... ģhøṡτ øώl 2012/06/15 12:41:39
  • ģhøṡτ øώl Grammar... 2012/06/16 12:53:57
    ģhøṡτ øώl
    +1
    Wow, dude. Actually I am in 110% total agreement with you. Like, spot on. That's cool. I don't mind homosexuality, either... Until it's thrown in my face on a big neon pink banner. I get really tired of the obnoxiousness. Do whatever you want, but do it well-mannered and wise. If you act obnoxious and call all kinds of attention to yourself, well then I have no sympathy for you when the F-word (F*gg*t) starts to fly and someone's about to beat your ass. If you beg for attention then you better be prepared for both sides of it, cause you ASKED for it. I used to have several gay friends. At one point I had two gay roommates. I personally can't deal with the drama that comes with it, but whatever. Do what you do, just do it away from me, ya know?
  • Grammar... ģhøṡτ øώl 2012/06/16 18:54:51
  • ģhøṡτ øώl Grammar... 2012/06/18 14:28:23
    ģhøṡτ øώl
    +1
    I am in total agreement with you there.
  • William... ģhøṡτ øώl 2012/06/15 15:17:26
    William Tremblay
    +3
    I agree; there is a reason that every culture on Earth has gender roles, and all of those gender roles have the men as protectors and providers, and the women as nurturers and caretakers. Sure, there were societies that had this the other way around. But where are they now? Exactly. They disappeared off the face of the Earth.

I think there is far too much desire these days for women to break into the "man's world." And this is often for no other reason than to say "look at me, I'm doing traditionally male things!" It's not because women genuinely want to become business executives or construction engineers or whatever: it's solely motivated by a urge to break traditional gender roles. And now it's spilling over onto men, also, as they rush out to become nurses and preschool teachers. I understand that in hard times, people take whatever jobs they can get, like how women worked in factories in WWII because all the men were gone. But this should not be the permanent situation. It's TEMPORARY. I'm not saying this to piss people off, I'm saying it because I don't think men and women are truly happy when they are in opposite-gender jobs just for the thrill of breaking a traditional gender role.

I don't hate women, I just think that each gender has different aptitudes and their brai...

I don't hate women, I just think that each gender has different aptitudes and their brains work differently (and science backs this up) I think that jobs were designated as traditionally male because males do them better, and the same thing with females. It's like forks and spoons. One is not better than the other; it's just that they have two different purposes. You don't eat spaghetti with a spoon and you don't eat soup with a fork.
  • Grammar... William... 2012/06/15 21:29:22
    Grammar Freak
    I agree.
  • ģhøṡτ øώl William... 2012/06/16 12:59:02
    ģhøṡτ øώl
    Right on, bro. Well put. Bravo.
  • Christo... ģhøṡτ øώl 2012/06/16 02:54:05
    Christopher Kirchen
    Amen.
  • superangrymonkey 2012/06/14 11:21:19
    OK
    superangrymonkey
    +2
    Skirts get pissy about the silliest stuff.
  • Brian Keller 2012/06/14 10:21:02
    OK
    Brian Keller
    +1
    Why not? If a man can do the job and the position doesn't require sex appeal, why shouldn't a man be allowed to work there?
  • Grammar... Brian K... 2012/06/15 11:56:52
    Grammar Freak
    Some men have loads of sex appeal.
    It's wise of an employer to put a sexy guy at the front desk. He/She will get a lot more women come in the door.
    Women are known to spend money.
  • Haley 2012/06/14 07:57:33
    OK
    Haley
    +1
    ...Why wouldn't it be?

2014/08/22 13:49:05