More Men are Taking 'Pink Collar' Jobs: OK or Unfair?

Times are tough out there! Jobs are few and far between, for men and women. And men particularly are exploring some traditionally female-dominated professions. The New York Times reports that between 2000 and 2010 "occupations that are more than 70 percent female accounted for almost a third of all job growth for men, double the share of the previous decade."

As traditionally male jobs in construction and manufacturing dry up, men are branching out, and many are pleasantly surprised to find stability, as well as less stress in some cases and more time at home, according to the report. The Times says: "While women continue to make inroads into prestigious, high-wage professions dominated by men, more men are reaching for the dream in female-dominated occupations that their fathers might never have considered." Dental assistants, receptionists, nurses... it's all fair game. Or is it? Are men taking spots women have worked for years to earn?

• moonchild 2012/06/14 07:32:03
    OK
    moonchild
    +3
    Perfectly okay- what's not okay- is men will get paid more than a woman for the exact same job. Even in thhe female dominated field of nursing- a male with equal experience can enjoy higher pay... That is the issue!
  • Merhabi... moonchild 2012/06/14 17:13:55
    Merhabi Daham
    But women get maternity leave, which is really hax. Men should receive paternity leave, then the game will be much more balanced and women will not be the overused class anymore.
  • moonchild Merhabi... 2012/06/14 17:18:51
    moonchild
    +1
    Men and woman get the same benefits. Most 'maternity' leave is simply saved up sick and vacation pay. The rest generally is unpaid. Based of the FML laws, men can take the same amount of time off. (My husband did with our children)... Women are not getting anything 'special' men don't. Further- not all woman take maternity leave, and it's still discriminatory to punish them for being women.
  • Merhabi... moonchild 2012/06/14 17:23:55
    Merhabi Daham
    But, (and i'm joking here) did you take into account the fact that women have boobs? That alone gives them a substantial advantage that must be redacted from their salary.
  • moonchild Merhabi... 2012/06/14 18:59:59
    moonchild
    haha
  • Grammar... Merhabi... 2012/06/15 11:57:33
    Grammar Freak
    +1
    Men do get family leave.
  • Mamaknows Grammar... 2012/06/15 21:41:12
    Mamaknows
    BUT companies frown on them using them.
  • Grammar... Mamaknows 2012/06/16 18:58:59
    Grammar Freak
    +1
    So?
    If it's legal, it's legal.
    People have to make their own decisions, in my opinion. If it's good for the goose... as they say. I personally think it's really great when a father takes time off work for a couple months to spend with his kid(s), whether it's when they're babies or when they're in school & might really need their dad's influence a lot.
    Fathers are really important.
    I know I love the hell out of mine & am very grateful that he's still alive & kickin' it down the highway on his motorcycle as much as he possibly can. He's always there if I need something & hope to hell he's around for a long long time to come.

Happy Father's Day to any dads out there!
  • Mamaknows Grammar... 2012/06/16 19:55:47 (edited)
    Mamaknows
    OH I agree 110% it just both times my husband tried to use it as part of the CA Family Leave act once for the birth of our daughter( very tramatic time) and once in the process of adoption(which tramticly failed:( ) his company "discouraged" it by punishing him. The first time with my daughter he just looked into it and asked at work....and bam his sup did not give him his long awaited promotion, because they were afraid they'd have to cover him for a month(his sup later told someone that's why they did not give it to him). With the second they found out in a sneaky mannor that we were adopting...and though it fell through:(, the childs father filed for parental, my husband was given a crappy shift which he is stuck with to this day...as punishment for even thinking about it...
    Yes I think...I KNOW papa's are super important and it is legal but for most men they just don't want to deal with the punishment that companies hand out. I have even heard of them replacing the new papa and giving him his notice ...this is an at will state:(
  • Grammar... Mamaknows 2012/06/17 14:18:45
    Grammar Freak
    Well, yours is an excellent example of how unions are needed. The right to organize is vital to establish balance. When companies make so much profit, pay out large salaries & bonuses to the executives, but are unwilling to treat the people well who actually do the work, then it's time to organize. People get all up in arms about unions. But I don't think that workers want anything outrageous. I think that if companies compensated well, encouraged family time & generally treated their employees well, no one would want to unionize. But most top level executives & big business owners are Republicans who blah blah about strong families & family values, blah blah blah... while they discourage strong families within their companies.
    It's hypocrisy.

Good luck.
  • Mamaknows Grammar... 2012/06/17 17:52:16
    Mamaknows
    Well...his company is owned and ran by really liberal people:/ We are in Cali....plus being ass-oles is not limited to politics....ya know?
    I am not sure they would go for union either becuase of the union dues. Between the taxes taken out 10-15% and the benifits money they take out...there would be no profit....plus most of them just are just so happy to have a job. It's pretty bare out there right now and people are afraid of loosing what little income they have.
  • Grammar... Mamaknows 2012/06/18 20:47:33
    Grammar Freak
    I understand.
  • KingdomNow 2012/06/14 06:51:55
    OK
    KingdomNow
    +1
    It's a free market. If women can't compete it is their problem.
  • doomkitten 2012/06/14 05:00:25
    OK
    doomkitten
    +4
    It's GREAT!!! Jobs that are traditionally held by women, such as teaching and nursing, are underpaid and undervalued until more men start taking those jobs and realize just how crappy women have it in this country. Men are more likely to complain to their bosses about poor working conditions and bad pay. Everyone benefits from the improved conditions, but women will not benefit from better pay unless we all support pay equity laws. It's not just a women's issue, it's a family issue. When women are paid fairly, it takes some of the pressure off of their husbands and provides stability, security, and a higher standard of living and a brighter future for the children, and allows single moms to live above the poverty level! Men are also more often successful at unionizing an industry, which improves conditions for everyone involved in that industry.
  • wilsonmja doomkitten 2012/06/14 05:52:30
    wilsonmja
    +1
    You done? Good, now go maker a sandwich.
  • Merhabi... wilsonmja 2012/06/14 17:12:23 (edited)
  • wilsonmja Merhabi... 2012/06/14 22:59:24
    wilsonmja
    Hell ya.
  • Leigh-Anne wilsonmja 2012/06/15 21:36:42
  • wilsonmja Leigh-Anne 2012/06/15 23:01:17
    wilsonmja
    +1
    It's called a sense of humor. Get one. Do you know how annoying it can be to see in every single commercial or sitcom show that caters to women the men being depicted as stupid apes that couldn't handle wiping their own ass without assistance from their wife? I just let it roll off because I know it's just bad attempts at humor by bad writers. The fact is tgat when they are funny I laugh at them. Whatever. The point is there are annoying stereotypes for both women and men and the best thing to do is make jokes and laugh about it.....WHY ARE YOU STILL READING THIS WHEN THERE ARE SANDWHICHES TO BE MADE?
  • Merhabi... wilsonmja 2012/06/17 03:52:51
  • Leigh-Anne wilsonmja 2012/06/20 23:20:14
    Leigh-Anne
    Yeah those are ad companies and commercials written by men, not women, and they arent putting you down for having an opinion. You dont know how it feels and you never will, but trust me, every woman you say it too grows a little more bitter toward men courtesy of you.
  • wilsonmja Leigh-Anne 2012/06/21 02:24:26
    wilsonmja
    Or they just have a sense of humor and say something just as insulting back, we both laugh about it and move on with our lives.
  • Merhabi... Leigh-Anne 2012/06/17 04:03:33
    Merhabi Daham
    Calm down. Whenever i try to tall about child-rearing or cooking i get told to shut up and go about drinking my beers and smoking cigars on the couch while women do all the REAL work. I deal. So should you.
  • Leigh-Anne Merhabi... 2012/06/20 23:29:51
    Leigh-Anne
    Never have i heard a woman disrespect a man in that manner and assume he is incompetent, any female i know would gladly accept help from him without her having to "nag". Not that being told to go chill on the couch is a remotely equal insult to basically being told your only purpose is to serve men. And after an eternity of being considered second class citizens, you still cant see why an insult like that is so demoralizing? Please, get your head out of your ass and try having some empathy. I know its hard to understand what it must feel like to still, in this day and age, be treated as less than because of what between your legs, but just try.
  • Merhabi... Leigh-Anne 2012/06/21 12:19:57
  • Melody 2012/06/14 04:25:37
    OK
    Melody
    +1
    It is unfair, however, to call them "pink collar" jobs
  • doomkitten Melody 2012/06/14 05:03:59
    doomkitten
    +1
    But unfortunately, it's accurate, and that perception keeps women in a career ghetto. If we get used to seeing men in "women's" jobs, then it will seem more natural to see women in "men's" jobs, such as management positions, and even President!
    Clinton/Warren 2016!!!
  • Melody doomkitten 2012/06/14 18:49:00
    Melody
    +1
    Well I agree, and it's fine for men to do "women's jobs" I just don't like that there ever were "women's jobs" hah.
    Well, other than giving birth and the like.. men can't do that :P
  • KingdomNow Melody 2012/06/14 06:52:52
    KingdomNow
    Skirt jobs?
    The Easy Jobs?

Does it matter?
  • Melody KingdomNow 2012/06/14 18:48:20
  • KingdomNow Melody 2012/06/15 00:03:40
    KingdomNow
    If you allow words to control you, you will always fall prey to manipulation.
    You are either a master of words or a tool.
    Don't be a tool.
  • VICTORIA KingdomNow 2012/06/15 01:50:19
    VICTORIA
    see above
  • Melody KingdomNow 2012/06/15 03:32:24
    Melody
    good response! It was so relevant, oh my!
  • VICTORIA Melody 2012/06/15 01:50:06
    VICTORIA
    +1
    Giving birth is so "easy". :)
  • LeAnn 2012/06/14 04:23:31
    OK
    LeAnn
    +1
    Nursing is a "woman's" field? Seriously? Get real. My dad (and actually my mom too) was a nurse for about 20 years and was dang good at it and made a great salary. You can be whatever you want. He retired well.
  • VICTORIA 2012/06/14 03:23:29
    OK
    VICTORIA
    Oh- Sodahead is getting ideas from a Liberal Chicago Professor and feminist!
    Cool.
    http://www.jstor.org/discover...
  • doomkitten VICTORIA 2012/06/14 05:06:46
    doomkitten
    +2
    That IS cool! Far better than the usual source, the polluted intellectual swamp of conservatism.
  • VICTORIA doomkitten 2012/06/15 01:50:43
    VICTORIA
    There's plenty of that cesspool here!
  • Christopher Kirchen 2012/06/14 01:29:15
    OK
    Christopher Kirchen
    +1
    Unfair doesn't matter, in ANY sense; if a man needs a job and that's what's paying, more power to him. It's not what I would do but
  • Sophie 2012/06/14 01:26:28
    OK
    Sophie
    +1
    If your qualified for a job then you should have an equal opportunity to get it. I suppose it's possible there could be exceptions but can't think of any at the moment.

2014/10/31 04:15:25