More Americans Say They're Better Off Than They Were 4 Years Ago

ProudProgressive 2012/06/21 20:31:06

By Blue Texan
June 21, 2012

Bad news for Team Willard on Wednesday. In addition to a new Bloomberg poll that showed Obama with a 13-point lead, there was this interesting tidbit.

A plurality of Americans now say they are better off than they were when President Barack Obama was inaugurated, providing a surprising lift to Obama’s re- election campaign despite troublesome economic news.

Forty-five percent of those surveyed in a Bloomberg National Poll say they are better off than at the beginning of 2009 compared with 36 percent who say they are worse off. In March, poll respondents split almost evenly on that question after having been decidedly negative since the aftermath of the worst recession in seven decades.

And that's a big problem for Willard, who's been channelling Reagan lately.

But it's not just that the economy is better than it was four years ago. People just don't like what Willard is saying about what he's going to do with the next four years.

Even with the run of bad reports, Americans say they prefer Obama’s economic vision to that of his presumptive Republican rival, former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney, by a margin of 49 percent to 33 percent. That finding reflects a 7-percentage- point gain for Obama since March and an equal loss for his opponent, identified then as “Republicans” and in this survey as Romney.

“You don’t just trust the private sector to do the right thing,” says Chris Howell, 23, who works at a nonprofit organization in West Chester, Pennsylvania. Obama’s policies are better suited to providing “long-term solutions” for the economy’s problems, he added.

Surely, the Willard campaign knows that Americans don't believe more tax cuts for rich people will magically turn the economy around. And seeing as how that's kinda Willard's entire recovery plan, that's a problem. So, what they'll have to do is run an almost entirely negative campaign against the president -- all the while complaining that he's the one that's going negative.

Fun times.

Read More: http://crooksandliars.com/blue-texan/more-american...

• C. C. Rider 2012/06/21 22:34:13
    C. C. Rider
    +5
    In 07 there were a slew of companies that went belly up in Florida and Real Estate was tanking big time. ALL of the utilite companies were just jamming in their higher rates. IT was a nightmare to say the least. Come around 09 you could start to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Building had returned to the shore line, my rentals were really picking up and my job was going great. I had received several pluses to my contract. Infact my one rental SOLD!! AT a nice profit. I could not budge it at all during the Bush dark times. As for me I am living better then I was four years ago. I believed in Obama and he delivered.

profit budge bush dark times living years believed obama delivered

• mach 2012/06/22 15:44:03
    mach
    +2
    Good examples are Florida and Michigan, calling them "comeback states". Repubs are quick to blame Obama for dismal unemployment in these states, but as they begin to turn around, give credit to the governors. I'll be fair and give credit to both.They can't have it both ways. A second term for Obama will shore up the economy and set it in a more stable "concrete" foundation.
  • Roger 2012/06/22 14:46:11
    Roger
    Let us see here 23million with out work or underemployed,30million on welfare, 2 major banks left in new york, stock market manipulated.. Soooooooooo much better
  • ProudPr... Roger 2012/06/22 16:07:20
    ProudProgressive
    +1
    Yep, it is. And if the Republicans would stop trying to sabotage the economy in the hopes that there are still people in this country stupid enough to blame the President it would be better still.
  • Roger ProudPr... 2012/06/22 17:03:59
    Roger
    Really it is better than why is unemployment so high? Why is the vix higher than it was on D-Day?Why is the volume of the market so low? Why are jobs disappearing? Republicans aren't sabotaging anything! There not even in power! Can't you see it is the jews manipulating this a hole in office?
  • ProudPr... Roger 2012/06/22 17:13:39
    ProudProgressive
    Goodbye, bigot. Take the antisemitism somewhere else.
  • Roger ProudPr... 2012/06/22 17:16:34
    Roger
    wow open your eyes
  • marcuss LIBERALS ARE TRAITORS 2012/06/22 02:48:31
    marcuss LIBERALS ARE TRAITORS
    LOL ! a LWNJ website and poll. YEA I trust you and the 0MG to provide the truth.

cartman fart in face
  • ProudPr... marcuss... 2012/06/22 03:42:34
    ProudProgressive
    +1
    Thanks for the vote of confidence :) But you've never given a damn about "truth" before, so why start now?
  • marcuss... ProudPr... 2012/06/22 20:59:47
    marcuss LIBERALS ARE TRAITORS
    LOL! TRUTH sure does not come from you progressives.

I want TRUTH about FAST and FURIOUS....Dont you?
  • C. C. Rider 2012/06/21 22:34:13
    C. C. Rider
    +5

• luvguins 2012/06/21 21:48:32
    luvguins
    +4
    I love how the right worships Romney now as their savior when they adored every other brief frontrunner during the primaries causing Time Magazine to do a cover of Romney captioned, "Why don't they like me". People are now seeing how vague he is, and how out of touch he is with them. Like others in the poll I am better off than I was 4 years ago. I know many out there are still jobless and suffering, but there will be no quick fix as Romney promises, and certainly not with just recycling the Bush policies.
  • Smitten... luvguins 2012/06/22 15:27:52
  • Space Invader 2012/06/21 21:31:07
    Space Invader
    +2
    this is the same poll that has Romney losing to Obama 53-40%; Al Hunt sure can fix a poll can't he?
    But he always was the subversive at CNN..
  • ProudPr... Space I... 2012/06/22 03:48:22
    ProudProgressive
    +2
    No, that was Lou Dobbs. Hunt's just filling in until the transformation into Fox Lite is complete.
  • SmittenKitten 2012/06/21 21:09:07
  • MidnightCowboy 2012/06/21 20:56:15
    MidnightCowboy
    +4
    My taxes never went up under the Obama administration.
  • wildcat 2012/06/21 20:54:00
    wildcat
    +4
    I know that I am better off financially now than I was in 2008. The farm/ranch is doing quite well and my school job is good.
  • Wilde~MoonChild ™ 2012/06/21 20:47:13
    Wilde~MoonChild ™
    +5
    I am...
    CERTAIN people choose to forget what it was like during the Bush Admin and how bad things were.
  • Smitten... Wilde~M... 2012/06/21 21:09:55
  • Wilde~M... Smitten... 2012/06/23 00:17:19
    Wilde~MoonChild ™
    +1
    LOL... hmm, is conservative a 'name'?? If so, then yes.. I will name names :)
  • sockpuppet 2012/06/21 20:45:52
    sockpuppet
    +3
    I don't believe it. They say there's no inflation, either... and that jobs are plentiful.
    Nice tactic, until somebody calls you on it.
  • wildcat sockpuppet 2012/06/21 20:57:34
    wildcat
    +4
    Our county has an unemployment rate of 4.2% right now. There is over $4million of new construction in our county and that doesn't include the wind electrical generation towers being built. A new medical clinic is planned for our community the Old Hotel and Restaurant reopened under new management, and three new business ventures have begun downtown. In our little corner of the country at least things are going good.
  • Smitten... wildcat 2012/06/21 21:11:04 (edited)
  • sockpuppet wildcat 2012/06/21 21:31:39
    sockpuppet
    +1
    4.2%, eh? Dept. of Labor has it at twice that, and the smart money figures it closer to three times that amount. Interesting, what impending elections can do to statistics.

So the Fed was lying when they downgraded their projections yesterday? Maybe they'll bump the interest rates back where they belong, then. Doesn't seem like a country in the pink of financial health should maintain 0% interest.

I wonder if all these wonderful projects in your town are being bankrolled by one of the banks that's in the process of collapse... like all the businesses in Overland Park that have halted construction when their loans fell through. Yeah, I think our little corner of the country is better than most, but still a financial disaster area.
  • wildcat sockpuppet 2012/06/22 03:56:47
    wildcat
    +2
    That is what our counties unemployment rate is, 4.2%. Ellis county says they have a 2.9% unemployment rate. We have had more than one local bank loan money on the development. Our local eco devo council is doing a great job of finding grants and getting people to come to our county.
  • sockpuppet wildcat 2012/06/22 04:56:12
    sockpuppet
    +2
    Ah... county. I misread that as 'country'. My mistake, entirely. :O -

And well done, by the way... but I think your area is the exception to the rule!
  • wildcat sockpuppet 2012/06/22 18:30:34
    wildcat
    could be, but we just finished one of the best wheat harvests ever out here and prosperity abounds right now. Also our city just qualified for and was given a community development grant which will help our citizens remodel or demolish and rebuild homes in our little city.
  • sockpuppet wildcat 2012/06/22 20:14:25
    sockpuppet
    Again, that's great... I'll bet they can't wait to get their paws on that money in DC.
  • Superman 2012/06/21 20:36:12
    Superman
    +4
    Dishonesty again PP. Its Thursday and earlier I pointed out other recent polling data that showed the 13 point poll as an oddity to the norm.

This is absolutely cherry picking at this point.

And the fact that the "tidbit" comes from an unreliable poll of 700 people makes it unreliable as well.

This is clear misdirection on your part because you knew well before you posted it the situation with that Bloomberg poll.
  • Smitten... Superman 2012/06/21 21:21:19
  • Superman Smitten... 2012/06/21 21:30:48
    Superman
    +2
    Thats logically false. It has nothing to do with PP?

PP chose to post the article. He read it on a different site and went to the trouble of copying and pasting and all the whatnot of sharing it on here. Thats was his action of his own choice. Whatever website it was didn't force him to do it. He read it and felt it relevent enough to share.

So if we're discussing his actions why is it not about him? I've seen this happen too often on here, and multiple times on here. Someone posts an article they read elsewhere without really framing a question or poll around it and when someone challenges it the cry is "I didn't write it". No, but you reposted it. And without a statement like "heres what I think, what about you" the logical choice is that the poster agrees with the article.

And what trips me out is that just a few hours ago I directly discussed this poll with him at which point he said that it was the first one he found and he wasn't aware of the others that I passed along to him. Despite that knowledge, including a listing for composite polling from multiple sources he read and choose to repost.

So yeah, its dishonest and misdirection (leading someone down a path you know to be incorrect).
  • Smitten... Superman 2012/06/21 22:05:46
  • C. C. R... Smitten... 2012/06/21 22:40:36
    C. C. Rider
    +3
    I agree it is not logical, and may the Force be with you.

may the force be with you
  • Smitten... C. C. R... 2012/06/22 00:37:15
  • Superman Smitten... 2012/06/22 14:17:27
    Superman
    And I give no credit to CC as an average run of the mill partisan blocker.
  • Superman Smitten... 2012/06/22 14:07:46
    Superman
    +1
    What allegations am I making that I can't prove?

You want alternate polling data? Here: http://www.realclearpolitics....

As far as PP himself. As I said, I had a discussion with him earlier in the day in which I very clearly brought to light the other polls. At that time I accused him of cherry picking to which his response was that "this was the first poll I found" and he didn't know about the others. He then proceeded to post this article in light of the information he now had. So its very clearly attempting to cherry pick polls.

And yes, if you post something without comment you're very clearly open to having someone question or think that you agree with the article. He's very welcome, since my original comment was for him and not you anyway, to respond and give his opinion on this article. Does he agree, does he disagree? But in absence of a response on both the article and my accusation I will take him as agreeing with the article.

The misdirection, mind you, is posting the article in an attempt to push people toward one side while knowingly leaving out relevant data. He know about the information I just posted but chose to leave it out.

Either you know PP or you don't. If you know him you know he is fully capable of regularly posting his thoughts and opinions b...

Either you know PP or you don't. If you know him you know he is fully capable of regularly posting his thoughts and opinions before an article he posts or responding in depth to people that respond to his posts. He's fully capable of coming on here and giving his opinion on the validity of the article. Below he responded without even mentioning his opinion, avoiding it entirely. Thats all I need to know.
  • Smitten... Superman 2012/06/22 15:24:41
  • Superman Smitten... 2012/06/22 16:57:26
    Superman
    And it isn't fair then to point out when its clear that the OP has an agenda? Thats what you're taking issue with?

If you know PP then you know he does both, he posts with opinion and without. And ALL he posts are articles that favor Democrats.

All I've done is point out the fact that he had knowledge before posting this thread that what he was posting was an incomplete picture. All the details weren't included. Thus he cherry picks his information and as you yourself have said he has an agenda. I'm merely pointing that out.

So whats your beef with me then? He can post whatever he wants but I'm not allowed to respond? I shouldn't point out when I think he's pluggin an agenda because you don't?

And pushing forward certain information while leaving out the rest of the information isn't dishonest or misdirection? I disagree with that completely.

Having a political agenda at the end of the day always means you're trying to pull or push people to your side. The fact that few people on SH may actually be swayed is moot. The idea behind putting on information is that someone somewhere may listen. And their are independents on this site. Or is it your position that independents don't exist?

The only thing going on here is that I see PPs routine of daily pushing a far left ...

The only thing going on here is that I see PPs routine of daily pushing a far left agenda and I rail against it, call it out for what it is. The thing about the far righties and far lefties on her is that its very clear who they are usually. They resort to rhetoric and "bumper stickers" (what I call those silly political pictures). But PP here constantly tries to portray himself as above that fray, as if he is honest and isn't part of an agenda. He is.

Despite how you think the world should work I plan to keep calling him out on it. Especially when I know he directly lies or fails to share information he has.

For the record, has I seen this thread before I had my other discussion with him that day my response would be completely different. It would have been a simple disagreement with the premise. However, he failed to share information and that is dishonest.
  • ProudPr... Superman 2012/06/22 17:18:01
    ProudProgressive
    You're done. I told you that if you continue to call me a liar you'd be gone, and now you're gone. I have never lied about anything the entire time I have been on this site, and you've gone beyond simply being a somewhat amusing nuisance to something a lot worse. Were this not an anonymous site I would be suing you for slander right now, because you are blatantly lying about my honesty for the deliberate purpose of harming my reputation. I make no secret of the fact that I support the President and most of his policy decisions and I have no obligation to post Right Wing drivel or to in any way qualify my opinions.

With all due courtesy, then, go to hell.
  • ProudPr... Superman 2012/06/22 04:05:08
    ProudProgressive
    +2
    You know, with the flood of articles on just about any topic these days, you seem to have become convinced that no opinions have any right to be expressed unless there is a pre existing consensus. That's nonsensical. A poll using accepted polling methods from a generally accepted reliable source reported a result. I posted that result. You have every right to disagree with their result, but you have no right to criticize my choice to share it or to question my integrity in any way whatsoever. I have never knowingly posted a falsehood in all the time I have been on this site, and your insinuation to the contrary is insulting.

2014/07/26 03:10:39