Moran, 44 Other Senators to Obama: 2nd Amendment Rights Not negotiable

snipe 2011/07/26 14:27:39
I know everyone is caught up in the Debt Ceiling "crisis," but don't take your eye off the UN's push for their "Arms Trade Treaty," which has full support of the obama Admistration. Included is a list of Senators who signed Sen Jerry Moran's letter to obama. If your Senator/Senators aren't on this list call him/her and find out why. I know I am.

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The junior senator from Kansas July 21 led 44 senators in expressing grave concern about the dangers posed to Second Amendment rights by the United Nations’ Arms Trade Treaty.

“Our country’s sovereignty and the rights of American citizens must not be infringed upon by the United Nations,” Sen. Jerry Moran said. “Today, the Senate sends a powerful message to the Obama Administration: an Arms Trade Treaty that does not protect ownership of civilian firearms will fail in the Senate. Our firearm freedoms are not negotiable.”

The 45 senators notified President Obama and Secretary of State Clinton of their intent to oppose ratification of an Arms Trade Treaty that in any way restricts the rights of law-abiding American gun owners. This is enough to block the treaty from Senate passage, as treaties submitted to the Senate require approval of two-thirds of Senators present to be ratified.

In the letter, the senators wrote: “As the treaty process continues, we strongly encourage your Administration to uphold our country’s constitutional protections of civilian firearms ownership. These freedoms are not negotiable, and we will oppose ratification of an Arms Trade Treaty presented to the Senate that in any way restricts the rights of law-abiding U.S. citizens to manufacture, assemble, possess, transfer or purchase firearms, ammunition and related items.”

In October of 2009 at the U.N. General Assembly, the Obama Administration reversed the previous Administration’s position and voted for the U.S. to participate in negotiating the Arms Trade Treaty, purportedly to establish “common international standards for the import, export, and transfer of conventional arms.” Preparatory committee meetings are now underway in anticipation of a conference in 2012 to finalize the treaty. A treaty draft has not yet been produced.

The letter was signed by U.S. Senators Lamar Alexander (R-TN), Kelly Ayotte (R-NH), John Barrasso (R-WY), Roy Blunt (R-MO), John Boozman (R-AR), Scott Brown (R-MA), Richard Burr (R-NC), Dan Coats (R-IN), Tom Coburn (R-OK), Thad Cochran (R-MS), Susan Collins (R-ME), Bob Corker (R-TN), John Cornyn (R-TX), Saxby Chambliss (R-GA), Mike Crapo (R-ID), Jim DeMint (R-SC), Mike Enzi (R-WY), Lindsey Graham (R-SC), Chuck Grassley (R-IA), Orrin Hatch (R-UT), Dean Heller (R-NV), John Hoeven (R-ND), Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX), James Inhofe (R-OK), Johnny Isakson (R-GA), Mike Johanns (R-NE), Ron Johnson (R-WI), Jon Kyl (R-AZ), Mike Lee (R-UT), John McCain (R-AZ), Mitch McConnell (R-KY), Jerry Moran (R-KS), Lisa Murkowski (R-AK), Rand Paul (R-KY), Rob Portman (R-OH), Jim Risch (R-ID), Pat Roberts (R-KS), Marco Rubio (R-FL), Jeff Sessions (R-AL), Richard Shelby (R-AL), Olympia Snowe (R-ME), John Thune (R-SD), Pat Toomey (R-PA), David Vitter (R-LA), and Roger Wicker (R-MS).

Neil W McCabe
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=45074

• Paige 2011/07/26 14:36:53
    Paige
    +28
    Good luck with that. The Dictator-in-Chief seems to think he is above a piece of paper.....Hillary Clinton can go piss up a rope too.

• Scott 2011/08/26 17:51:27
    Scott
    +2
    My Senator signed it ! The low life bastards in the democrat party ( American Socialist Party ) have tried this under Bush and were told to go to hell by John Bolton . This time , we have a SOCIALIST in the White House and a SOCIALIST in the UN ( Hillary Clinton ) so this needs to be watched VERY CLOSELY .

There are , however several things going for us . Even if brought to the Senate for ratification , it Will Not Pass ! Any senator who votes FOR it will be out of a job come the next election . Last but not least , It would not win if brought to the Supreame Court on Constitutional Grounds .
  • ruthannhausman 2011/07/30 17:55:42
    ruthannhausman
    +2
    This current president has not shown any respect for our Constitution thus far, so why begin now? He has managed to do things (Obamacare, for instance) which defy all the rules and regulations and he's gotten away with them. He had better not try to mess with our Constitution. 2012 needs to be won by anybody but Obama. He's got an agenda that is totally contrary to our American way of life and beliefs and he's got the gutsy balls to act on it. Scary.
  • Prairie Wind 2011/07/29 06:34:24 (edited)
    Prairie Wind
    +3
    I'll have to send my Senator Moran an Atta-Boy ! Obama isn't welcome out in this nation's bread basket ... we do have mounted rifle racks in our pickup windows and ceilngs .. it's convenient!

I just wrote him a thank you for his efforts to stop the limitation of our existing Constitutional rights.
  • james turner 2011/07/29 05:12:19
    james turner
    +1
    There was 13 Democrats also opposing the treaty as well.
  • 4570GOVT james t... 2011/11/09 17:44:12
    4570GOVT
    +1
    They " ALL " should be if they want to keep their jobs !
  • Crewshal 2011/07/29 02:59:48
    Crewshal
    The sky is falling the sky is falling.We must buy and stock up on more guns and bullets,before the Jack booted UN and Obama come to take our Guns away.
    Maybe we could buy some Tanks,some drones,and acquire some WMD's before our second amendment right is all gone,Yeah.
    Some fighter Jets,Helicopter Gunships,and a few submarines would be nice too,Yeah.

Calling all Patriots to stop the Anti-Christ from taking our guns away,Yeah.
    Stop Hitler and the UN.Wave your flags high and shout ,"USA USA" were number one were number one,Yeah.
    God bless America,and "ONLY AMERICA,"Yeah
  • Charles E 2011/07/28 22:28:58
    Charles E
    +2
    Every senator who votes to approve this treaty has violated his oath of office and his vote does not count.
  • Louisa - Enemy of the State 2011/07/28 17:54:54
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    +3
    Keep your eye on obama because he is sure to be planning something that will divert our attention and wham bam thank you m`am we will be stripped of our second amendment rights.
  • 4570GOVT Louisa ... 2011/11/09 17:45:23
    4570GOVT
    +2
    Martial Law be a' comin' folks !
  • Markie 2011/07/28 13:55:33
    Markie
    +1
    Two year of record gun/ammo sales and we still get this type of question?
  • Louisa ... Markie 2011/07/28 17:56:23
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    +2
    They would have to torture us before we would hand our weapons! I wish them luck in their confiscation efforts because they look like dead men to me.
  • seismicresponse 2011/07/28 09:36:42
  • Patriot Unit 2011/07/28 04:13:49
    Patriot Unit
    +2
    I have to totally agree with the top opinion. My question is how in the hell does the UN have any authority within our borders, or in dictating what our Constitution is or how it is enforced as our rule of law. This is just another example of his disgraceful existence.
  • jeremy honeycutt 2011/07/28 04:00:32
    jeremy honeycutt
    +2
    well both of mine signed it. of course id expect them to do their job according to the constitution.
  • sarah 2011/07/28 03:48:05
    sarah
    Democrats Oppose Obama-U.N. Gun Control Treaty

GEE THE DEMOCRAT SIGNED LETTER was not mentioned in posted story..
    By Paul Bedard

Posted: July 26

Twelve Democratic senators have joined 45 Republicans in a fast growing movement to halt progress on an Obama-backed United Nations effort that could bring international gun control into the United States and slap America's gun owners with severe restrictions.

[Read more about gun rights and gun control.]

Montana Democratic Sen. Jon Tester's office today provided Whispers with their letter, signed by 11 other Democrats, urging the president to press for significant changes in the treaty. Their major concern: that domestic manufacture, possession, and sales of firearms and ammo will be included, thereby giving an international authority the right to regulate arms sales already protected by the Second Amendment. They also said any move for an international gun registry would be a non-starter.
    A Republican letter circulated by Kansas Republican Sen. Jerry Moran has 45 signatures
  • 4570GOVT sarah 2011/11/09 17:47:49
    4570GOVT
    +1
    EVERY Senator & Representative should sign this , not just one party or the other .
  • Space Invader 2011/07/28 03:26:40 (edited)
    Space Invader
    +1
    I posted this on there earlier; and was called a conspiracy nut.....Who's the nut now?-The Government of the USA; that's who...by the way... SUCKERS!!!!
  • Maria R 2011/07/28 02:30:39
    Maria R
    +3
    Riht now I'm looking and only seeing one senator from Nebraska....big surprise that the D-traitor-Ben Nelson (Mr. Cornhusker-kick-back-stab us in the back on healthcare) isn't on there. One more reason NOT to vote for him.
  • Petpeve 2011/07/28 01:52:10
    Petpeve
    +2
    Now why doesn't this surprise me? We all knew this was coming. Take away the right of American Citizens to arm/protect themselves and what is left? Get the word out. I just sent this post to all of my family & friends who are all very busy and don't have time to track this information. I'm tired of hearing, "I wasn't aware of any of this". Well, now they are. Thanks for the post.
  • snipe Petpeve 2011/07/28 02:20:53 (edited)
    snipe
    +3
    Seems 13 Democrat Senators have signed on to fight this as well. Hopefully more will to do the same.
  • Petpeve snipe 2011/07/28 02:59:40
    Petpeve
    +2
    Hi snipe, I sure hope so. I'm calling our State Rep. tomorrow. Durbin, IL, can't stand the guy (lol). But I'm calling the others on my list too. Even if they aren't my state representative.
  • snipe Petpeve 2011/07/28 03:22:37
    snipe
    +1
    I doubt you'll have much luck with Durbin. I was surprised to see that Bob Casey signed on. But, Pa is a huge hunting State and we take our right to own Guns seriously, and he knows it.
  • Space I... snipe 2011/07/28 03:28:53
    Space Invader
    +3
    this is a Senator whose state is going bankrupt; you think he cares? It's all about Obama
  • Petpeve Space I... 2011/07/30 03:50:36
    Petpeve
    +3
    Hi Space, bankrupt is right. It's that "Democratic Machine" that has done this to IL.
  • Petpeve snipe 2011/07/30 03:49:33
    Petpeve
    +2
    So snipe, you know Durbin well. He's certainly a spineless Senator and most of IL's legal citizens know this. Good for PA, sounds like Casey listens to PA's citizens.
  • snipe Petpeve 2011/07/30 04:17:06
    snipe
    +2
    Not really. Casey is the number one obama Butt kisser! He has only come out of his Rabbit hole twice since he was elected. The first time was to campaign for obama and the second was to push obamacare. Haven't seen the Jackass since. He knew there would be over a million hunters kickin' down his door if he didn't sign.
  • Petpeve snipe 2011/08/01 01:40:38
    Petpeve
    +1
    Imagine that! Keep a kickin'.
  • ladyjane 2011/07/28 00:18:45
    ladyjane
    +2
    I'm glad that there are Senators that are willing to stand up and be counted on for the Constitution and the American citizens....If your Senator isn't listed in this group then get ahold of them and tell them they better get included in it if they want to be included in the next Senate...
  • TheTailor 2011/07/27 21:26:20
    TheTailor
    +1
    Heh, not ONE Democrat.
  • Ferηαηdo 夢 2011/07/27 18:57:57
    Ferηαηdo 夢
    “common international standards for the import, export, and transfer of conventional arms.”

I honestly don't see how this treaty violates the second amendment.
  • TheTailor Ferηαηdo 夢 2011/07/27 21:27:19
    TheTailor
    +1
    Read into it.
  • TheTailor Ferηαηdo 夢 2011/07/27 21:38:45
    TheTailor
    +2
    "President Obama has set forth a **bold arms control** and nonproliferation agenda."

"These discussions have broadened so that we now have an A to Z list of meetings and forums on **how to limit or eliminate small arms**, anti-personnel landmines and other indiscriminate weapons."

"We need a treaty that looks at **regulating all conventional weapons, from small arms** and light weapons to aircraft carriers."

Ahh, here we go, gun control through the UN:

"The United States will seek a result that establishes high standards of expected conduct in international activity and in ***national enforcement***.

http://www.state.gov/t/us/136...

Bet your ass they will say because we are in the treaty they have the right to set the standard, and take your weapons.
  • Radscal 2011/07/27 18:17:36
    Radscal
    As far as I can see, this treaty only pertains to the sales or transfer of arms internationally. It has nothing to say about the ownership of arms within any nation.

This letter from 44 congressmen sure looks like another "red herring" to stir up reactionary fear from gun-rights advocates who don't bother to actually read the treaty.
    +1
    I thinkThe Constitution needs to be explained aand the Declariation too for thr pinl;ic//// This hasn't been done in almost 80 Years. lastmtime it was pretty Democrat driven. It is time for us to discuss the meaning of the 1st and 2nd carefully. The religion clause needs to be honestly be w=exhanined. And SJ Blak and his interpretation. etc.
  • Always Right 2011/07/27 18:14:14
    Always Right
    +2
    I didn't see any dems on the list. I say if the liberals want to disarm, they can go ahead, they probably don't know which is the business end of a gun anyway. Gun control is using two hands to steady your shot. Always identify your target.
  • Cody T 2011/07/27 17:17:18
    Cody T
    i agree that the people should be allowed to have guns but does anyone really need an assault rifle? The second amendment was put in place in 1791. You know, when the peoples' top concern was hunting for food and defending themselves from wild animals and Native Americans. I support your right to have hunting rifles and maybe smaller caliber handguns for self defense but there is not a sane reason a civilian needs an M-16 or AK-47
  • Kaimeso 2011/07/27 15:55:06
    Kaimeso
    +5
    The Kriss Super V 45 ACP rifle, last week a guy let me fire his at the local range and I was impressed. On wednesday I went ahead and ordered one which I should be able to pick up at my local shop on Thursday. This, and a $1,000 donation to the NRA is how I show my support for 2nd amendment rights (not to mention letters to my representatives).

donation nra support 2nd amendment rights mention letters representatives kriss super V rifle
  • cinbadl 2011/07/27 15:53:47
  • Ukie 2011/07/27 15:30:36
    Ukie
    +3
    If he wants insurrection then he will get it....guaranteed. He and Hillary will not turn us into a dictatorial third world Country. I doubt that they really understand that they are playing with fire and a HUGE backlash. I have to believe that there still remains enough of our society that will literally fight for our 2nd Amendment rights. huge backlash remains society literally fight 2nd amendment rights right to bear arms huge backlash remains society literally fight 2nd amendment rights right to bear arms
  • cinbadl Ukie 2011/07/27 15:52:42

2014/11/28 19:29:49