Monday Marks the One-Year Anniversary of 'Occupy Wall Street': Has the Movement Made a Difference?

On Monday, protesters will gather near the New York Stock Exchange to celebrate the one-year anniversary of the Occupy Wall Street movement. People in more than 30 other cities around the world will also mark the occasion by attending rallies and marches.

One year ago, on September 17, 2011, a group of young people began camping in Zuccotti Park to protest corporate greed and economic inequality. The gathering quickly grew in numbers, also spreading to other cities around the country and globe. Occupiers became known for the slogan “We are the 99 percent!” and were occasionally joined by celebrities.

On November 15, 2011, New York City police officers shut down the encampment. One by one, Occupy encampments around the country were raided and dismantled. The loss of the encampments, combined with the movement’s lack of leadership or specific demands, caused Occupy to splinter and lose momentum. These days, the Occupy label has been co-opted to protest everything from climate change to illegal immigration.

So SodaHeads, what do you think? It’s been a year since Occupy Wall Street began. Has the movement made a difference?

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/back-rise-fall-...

• Tombo Josh 2012/09/27 03:34:05
    Tombo
    He told "Joe the Plumber" that he believes in spreading the wealth around; that's socialism. The government should not spread wealth; the private sector should. Then there's the bailouts and the nationalization of Solyndra, GM, the Banks and Chrysler; that's socialism. Government run healthcare or ObamaCare. Now that's really socialism. He has grown government hugely and created massive debt to the point where the dollar has just a AA- rating. All socialist nations have terrible economies and he is working on that one.

He tells Joe that he is going to eliminate Capital Gains taxes. He has never done that, in fact, he wants to raise corporate taxes from 35 to 40%. That will really hurt small businesses and send more jobs overseas. Here's a talk which Reagan gave on healthcare over 50 years ago.. Government Controlled Healthcare is the Crown Jewel of the socialist.

the United States enjoys the finest healthcare system in the world. Why would we ever want to destroy that with government. The best way to improve the current healthcare system is to get the government out of it completely. If you think healthcare is expensive now, just wait until it's free!
  • ☆ Queen... Josh 2012/09/17 03:02:47
    ☆ QueenAline
    +1
    the comparison was night and day...Tombo stated it very well below.
  • Josh ☆ Queen... 2012/09/17 03:17:30
    Josh
    +1
    Night and day, far right far and left. However you want to say it, I don't care for them.
  • bye Josh 2012/09/17 20:13:59
    bye
    I didn't find the Tea Party annoying and still check out their websites time and again. They were peaceful and peaceful protests always are the best. I'm sure being a military hero you appreciate peaceful protests rather then dealing with the other kind.
  • $$*gat*$$ BL39 2012/09/17 02:34:45 (edited)
    $$*gat*$$ BL39
    +9
    OWS.. Showed the world that hate n rape in the name of peace is nothing more than Marxist crap brought to us by Soros n crew using spoiled dupes
  • COCO $$*gat*... 2012/09/17 07:31:59
  • exhon2009 2012/09/17 02:31:47
    exhon2009
    +7
    Crapping on a police car, raping fellow protesters and vandalizing personal property probably got 99% of the people thinking they weren't part of the 99% those morons claimed to speak for.
  • Josh exhon2009 2012/09/17 03:21:17
    Josh
    +1
    they didn't all do those things, that's like saying the westboro baptist church represents all Christians.
  • exhon2009 Josh 2012/09/17 04:05:27
    exhon2009
    +1
    Perhaps you meant to say ALL of them did not do ALL of those things but it shouldn't be my responsiblity to tell you what you meant to say. MANY of them sure as hell did do all of those things. The one's that lingered around for more than a week or so convinced the 99% that they didn't speak for them. The movement was discredited very early on.
  • bye exhon2009 2012/09/17 20:12:04
    bye
    +1
    Yeah they kept supporting it in the media and the politicians until it got really out of hand.
  • Josh exhon2009 2012/09/19 00:19:11
    Josh
    I do agree the movement was stupid, but so is making general blanket statements about a large group of people based on the actions of a portion of said group.
  • exhon2009 Josh 2012/09/19 00:32:11
    exhon2009
    I don't know Josh I think the stupid ones are the ones who associate with this crowd:

• Josh exhon2009 2012/09/19 00:54:37 (edited)
    Josh
    Again, far too many people involved around the world to make generalizing statements. But I did also call the movement stupid. But go ahead and continue.
  • bye Josh 2012/09/17 20:11:25
    bye
    Doesn't change the fact that what exhon said was true but nice try to change the subject.
  • Josh bye 2012/09/19 00:18:53
    Josh
    I wasn't changing the subject, its a comparison. It was not all of them that did those things. But I do agree the movement was stupid, but so is making general blanket statements about a large group of people based on the actions of a portion of said group.
  • bye Josh 2012/09/20 01:31:58
    bye
    There really was not a message and they were supported by a lot of money so they were more or less paid demonstrators and that's kind of scary to me.
  • Josh bye 2012/09/20 02:57:02
    Josh
    I can tell you the message if you want to be informed, granted this message got derailed by people taking advantage of the situation, as they often times do, and looting or rioting. The main issues are social and economic inequality, greed, corruption and the supposed undue influence of corporations on government—particularly from the financial services sector. The OWS slogan, We are the 99%, addresses the growing income inequality and wealth distribution in the U.S. between the wealthiest 1% and the rest of the population. To achieve their goals, protesters act on consensus-based decision made in general assemblies which emphasize direct action over petitioning authorities for redress. Not saying I agree with all of this, but it would help to be educated, instead of frightened. What we do not understand scares us.
  • bye Josh 2012/09/20 03:05:50
    bye
    Yeah the looting and rioting and the whole camping out and breaking the rules thing kind of got in the way with me. As for the income inequity thing is not a problem because if I work hard I can make more money. Get a good education I can get more more, if I come up with a great idea or have talent, make more money. No one owes me others money. Rich folk don't owe me money. Greed is a problem, but we had the government who was supposed to oversee it but they failed. Not one government guy went to jail or got fired. Barney Frank got a free pass. As far as the 99 percent it's easy to blame 1 percent for the problem when the government is blaming them and wanting to take more of their money. Take away all the money of the rich folk and you'd not even make a dent in the debt which is flying through the roof each day and no now seems to care. I'm scared and have been watching and reading and far less educated then many in government. I was a whistle blower and know what happens to the good guys and no one paid me millions just beat me up!
  • Josh bye 2012/09/21 00:17:11 (edited)
    Josh
    Hey I am not saying I agreed with them, I was just telling you what it was supposed to be about. What I have a problem with is rich people buying out the politicians. But honestly all of this is silly to me, money isn't my primary reason for functioning. I am part of a 1%, not the wealthy 1%, but I like to think I am a part of something more than myself and, to me, that satisfaction is worth more than money... Now I'm not dumb, I am going to school on top of my duty, so I can make good money on top of it all.
  • bye Josh 2012/09/21 00:24:34
    bye
    I agree with you on that point rich paying off the politicians. Good for you and thanks for keeping us all safe :)
  • Josh bye 2012/09/21 00:27:42
    Josh
    +1
    No need for thanks, I would do it regardless.
  • bye Josh 2012/09/21 01:03:56
    bye
    :)
  • jubil8 BN-0 PON 2012/09/17 02:19:29
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    But it provided a lot of RW's with more opportunities to foam at the mouth.
  • Reichstolz jubil8 ... 2012/09/17 02:40:30
    Reichstolz
    +5
    Nah, the slothful in the dependency party provide that without having to sleep on the sidewalk.
  • jubil8 ... Reichstolz 2012/09/17 04:43:23
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    OWS is still "more." You can't get around it. However many there were anyway, they created more.
  • Reichstolz jubil8 ... 2012/09/17 13:18:50
    Reichstolz
    "more" demonstration of sloth, nothing new from what we expect from the dependent.
  • jubil8 ... Reichstolz 2012/09/17 20:15:48
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    I don't care how many times you restate your reply. MORE IS STILL MORE. Accept it. 0 X 10 is still 0, and that's what you've got. Jubil8: MORE. Reich: 0.
  • Reichstolz jubil8 ... 2012/09/17 22:42:37
    Reichstolz
    You are trapped in your own delusion.
  • belle 2012/09/17 02:12:15
    belle
    +5
    I was beginning/trying to forget all about them and their creating problems for as many people as possible.
  • Soundstorm belle 2012/09/17 02:46:25
    Soundstorm
    +1
    It's their anniversary, y'know? The news media feels obligated to mark the occasion. Kind of like Mother's Day.
  • belle Soundstorm 2012/09/17 16:59:57
    belle
    +2
    there are many anniversaries of better organizations/people to be honored by the news media, instead of this group. People that have beat terrible diseases should be honored over these trouble makers. Not even close to the importance of Mother's day.
  • bye belle 2012/09/17 20:10:30
    bye
    +2
    You have a good point!
  • belle bye 2012/09/18 19:36:25
  • Soundstorm belle 2012/09/20 23:43:50 (edited)
    Soundstorm
    +1
    Of course some mainstream stations might devote a 15 second mention of our veterans on any of our patriotic anniversaries. I say 'might'.
  • belle Soundstorm 2012/09/21 00:30:41
    belle
    +1
    Might in this case is a strong word.
  • Soundstorm belle 2012/09/21 02:25:42
    Soundstorm
    +1
    Maybe? Possibly? Once in a while in a blue moon?
  • kevjon 2012/09/17 02:09:29
    kevjon
    +9
    It proved just how stupid liberals are, first Pelosi, Reid and Obama supported the movement until they saw how Rape, drugs, disease and stench just didn't pan out for them like they hoped it would. But they did manage to slip in some BS laws during the distraction.
  • Josh kevjon 2012/09/17 03:21:37
    Josh
    +1
  • kevjon Josh 2012/09/17 12:13:31
    kevjon
    +2
    Oh really? Well OK they didn't all do those things but the major representation of them did.
    That's like saying all of Germany didn't kill Jews.
  • Josh kevjon 2012/09/19 01:00:31
    Josh
    All of Germany didn't kill the Jews, the Nazis during the Holocaust did. Hell some of those Jews where German, they didn't kill themselves did they? Plenty of the German people did not partake in the killings. Nice try tho.

2014/10/23 00:39:29