Monday Marks the One-Year Anniversary of 'Occupy Wall Street': Has the Movement Made a Difference?

On Monday, protesters will gather near the New York Stock Exchange to celebrate the one-year anniversary of the Occupy Wall Street movement. People in more than 30 other cities around the world will also mark the occasion by attending rallies and marches.

One year ago, on September 17, 2011, a group of young people began camping in Zuccotti Park to protest corporate greed and economic inequality. The gathering quickly grew in numbers, also spreading to other cities around the country and globe. Occupiers became known for the slogan “We are the 99 percent!” and were occasionally joined by celebrities.

On November 15, 2011, New York City police officers shut down the encampment. One by one, Occupy encampments around the country were raided and dismantled. The loss of the encampments, combined with the movement’s lack of leadership or specific demands, caused Occupy to splinter and lose momentum. These days, the Occupy label has been co-opted to protest everything from climate change to illegal immigration.

So SodaHeads, what do you think? It’s been a year since Occupy Wall Street began. Has the movement made a difference?

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/back-rise-fall-...

• peggy 2012/09/17 04:19:16
    peggy
    +2
    Yes they just sured up my vote for Romney. VOTE OBAMA OUT
  • biggerman 2012/09/17 04:14:02 (edited)
    biggerman
    +4
    No one with any sense has any respect for those idiots. They couldn't even articulate their purpose. OWS was a sick joke. Oh, they did leave a nasty mess to clean up everywhere they went.
  • blackrings70 2012/09/17 04:08:01
    blackrings70
    +9
    Just a bunch of losers!
    bunch losers
  • JackSchitt 2012/09/17 04:05:10
    JackSchitt
    +6
    Only in their own minds......

It showed me how many in this generation are OPENLY socialist. It showed me how close the Democrat party is to "coming out" and saying that they are socialist as well. It showed me that just because you have a bunch of kids dressing up and pretending to be Woodstock hippies....doesn't mean it will yield good ideas or good music.
  • Pythias 2012/09/17 04:02:14
    Pythias
    +1
    Not in the slightest.
  • 3414503 2012/09/17 03:54:16
  • Michael... 3414503 2012/09/17 04:03:00
    Michael Ejercito
    +4
    This joke here should illustrate why.

Encounter at the Bridge

by Ron Jolliffe

Setting: Rural area. Dark, blustery, cold evening. Winter. Man crossing bridge hears sound. Looking up he sees a person apparently intending to jump to his death.

Man: Hey! Don't Jump!

Man: What do you mean there's nothing to live for? Nobody cares? I care about you. You are a fellow human being. Don't jump!

Man: Well, I also care about you because I am a Christian.

Man: What? You are a Christian too? Well then, why don't you come down? We have a lot in common, I'm sure.

Man: What? Does it matter? Catholic or Protestant? Well, I'm Protestant. Just come down. There's a strut just below you to the left.

Man: What? Continental or British Isles Protestant? Actually, I belong to the tradition that developed in the British Isles.

Man: You are too? That's wonderful! Hang on tight while you stretch to the shelf about 30 inches below you on the right.

Man: You're joking, right? This is unreal. Here you are threatening to jump. I'm trying to save you and you really want to know if I belong to the Anglican or the "real" Protestant tradition? Well, no, I'm not Episcopalian.

Man: Look, just reach with your arm to the right and see if you can grab that guyline. You are so obstinate! Yes, I belong to the Reformed and not to th...

This joke here should illustrate why.

Encounter at the Bridge

by Ron Jolliffe

Man: Hey! Don't Jump!

Man: Look, just reach with your arm to the right and see if you can grab that guyline. You are so obstinate! Yes, I belong to the Reformed and not to the Lutheran tradition.

Man: OK, OK. My family comes from Scotland, not Ireland, so we are part of the Scottish Reformed tradition. Now, will you please try to place your right foot about 18 inches below you onto that truss. Why? Because I care about you. You are a fellow human being, a Christian, a part of the same national church heritage from which I come. So, please!

Man: There's a large bolt you should be able to reach with your left hand. No! I'm not a part of the National Church. My family came from the Seceders.

Man: I can't believe it! Yours did too! What a small world. Brother, be careful. There's a steel arch that you can now reach just below you.

Man: By the way, do you belong to the group of Seceders that were also Burgher, or anti-Burgher?

Man: Anti-Burgher! This is unreal. Who would have thought two total strangers could have so very much in common? There's a span support just beneath your right foot. Then I think I can reach you to help you down onto the hand-railing.

Man: By the way, do you belong to the Old Light or the New Light branch of the Anti-Burgher Seceder Scottish Reformed Protestant Christian faith?

Man: New Light?

[With a swift and forceful push, the man knocks the would-be suicide victim off the hand-railing on which he has just placed his feet.]

Man: Die, you heretic!
  • Korgull 3414503 2012/09/17 09:40:07
    Korgull
    No. Occupy Wall Street is fighting to make changes so that politicians can only make regulations that help people, not ones that would line their pockets and the pockets of CEOs. This would curb corruption in politics and help curb the exploitative nature of big corporations.

Ron Paul, on the other hand, just wants to take politicians out of the picture. Instead of being at the mercy of politicians who enact legislation that give corporations more power, we'll just be at the mercy of the corporations themselves.

Ron Paul's plans will not fix the problems the US is having, it'll just make it so that corporations don't even have to waste time bribing politicians to get their way. Sure.
  • mizzSHADYgirl 2012/09/17 03:45:29
    mizzSHADYgirl
  • Unicorns vs Narwhals 2012/09/17 03:39:29
    Unicorns vs Narwhals
    I don't think it's made a positive difference, but it has made a difference.
  • firebird 2012/09/17 03:26:16
    firebird
    +5
    Its sure made the American taxpayers how many entitlement seekers there are out there standing in line with their hands out... Expecting something for NOTHING.
  • COCO firebird 2012/09/17 07:29:33
  • retiredingeorgia 2012/09/17 03:17:38
    retiredingeorgia
    +6
    How can they have an anniversary, I thought they all went back home to mommy and daddy when it got cold last winter?
  • shotgun the 3rd 2012/09/17 03:17:01
    shotgun the 3rd
    +6
    It showed America we have alot of non working lazy idiots.....
  • timothy.hill.14 2012/09/17 03:14:28
    timothy.hill.14
    +9
    It was a disorganized mess and an excuse for people to commit crime, vandalize properties, spread garbage everywhere and create chaos. In my area local businesses were thrilled when they finally packed up their ratty tents and moved on.
  • Boyosemu 2012/09/17 03:04:53
    Boyosemu
    +5
    Yeah! Let's celebrate something that didn't make a difference because guess what, people moved on with their lives.
  • COCO Boyosemu 2012/09/17 07:30:26
    COCO
    +1
    Exactly.
  • Tombo 2012/09/17 02:55:10
    Tombo
    +4
    Yes, in the air quality! 2016
  • J.MaisOui Tombo 2012/09/17 04:54:52
    J.MaisOui
    +1
    ...odumma is a loser.
  • Tombo J.MaisOui 2012/09/18 20:43:48
    Tombo
    Yes, that's why everyone should see 2016.
  • lovemykiddos 2012/09/17 02:53:16
    lovemykiddos
    +4
    I think peacful protest can have a strong effect on this world but it has to be better executed than this was.
  • Phyl *In God i Trust* 2012/09/17 02:44:43
    Phyl *In God i Trust*
  • Soundstorm 2012/09/17 02:42:39
    Soundstorm
    +2
    We can always say Occupy gave a new generation its Woodstock.
  • JackSchitt Soundstorm 2012/09/17 03:55:47
    JackSchitt
    +4
    Yeah.....MINUS the great music.
  • bye JackSchitt 2012/09/17 20:14:16
    bye
    +2
    Good point!
  • Soundstorm JackSchitt 2012/09/20 23:40:43
    Soundstorm
    +1
    Now they just pound on drums like a bunch of hunter gatherer primitives. I always had a notion that future generations would turn out this regressive.
  • Reichstolz 2012/09/17 02:39:25
    Reichstolz
    +11
    The only thing that changed is many municipalities had to spend millions to clean up their filth.
  • Josh 2012/09/17 02:36:18
    Josh
    +1
    It was just as annoying as the tea party
  • Tombo Josh 2012/09/17 02:57:30 (edited)
  • Josh Tombo 2012/09/17 03:16:11 (edited)
  • Tombo Josh 2012/09/17 03:36:22
    Tombo
    +3
    Wait a minute! You are trying to convince me that the Tea Party is extreme because they want to return to the tenants of the Constitution. what do you have against freedom? Government Bullies
  • Josh Tombo 2012/09/19 00:14:54
    Josh
    I have nothing against freedom, I am actually sworn to defend it . They seem to have a lot against the separation of church and state, in some cases freedom of speech if it apposes them (something from the Constitution) and women. Here are just a few crazy tea party quotes

. 1. "I hope that's not where we're going, but you know if this Congress keeps going the way it is, people are really looking toward those Second Amendment remedies and saying my goodness what can we do to turn this country around? I'll tell you the first thing we need to do is take Harry Reid out." —Nevada GOP Senate candidate Sharron Angle, floating the possibility of armed insurrection in a radio interview, Jan. 2010

2. "It is not enough to be abstinent with other people, you also have to be abstinent alone. The Bible says that lust in your heart is committing adultery. You can't masturbate without lust! ... You're going to be pleasing each other. And if he already knows what pleases him and he can please himself, then why am I in the picture?" —Delaware GOP Senate candidate Christine O'Donnell, advocating against masturbation in a 1996 MTV interview

3. Tea Party candidate Ken Buck, after being asked why people should vote for him for the Colorado GOP Senate nomination: ''Because I do not wear high heels. ...

3. Tea Party candidate Ken Buck, after being asked why people should vote for him for the Colorado GOP Senate nomination: ''Because I do not wear high heels. She has questioned my manhood, and I think it's fair to respond. I have cowboy boots, they have real bullsh*t on them. And that's Weld County bullsh*t, not Washington, D.C., bullsh*t.'' Buck was referring to an ad run by his opponent, which decried third-party spending on behalf of his campaign and urged Buck to ''be man enough'' to run the ads himself (July 21, 2010)

4. 'We took the Bible and prayer out of public schools, and now we're having weekly shootings practically. We had the 60s sexual revolution, and now people are dying of AIDS." —Christine O'Donnell, during a 1998 appearance on Bill Maher's 'Politically Incorrect'",

5. "People ask me, 'What are you going to do to develop jobs in your state?' Well, that's not my job as a U.S. senator." —Sharron Angle, May 14, 2010

6. "By integrating women into particularly military institutes, it cripples the readiness of our defense. Schools like The Citadel train young men to confidently lead other young men into a battlefield where one of them will die. And when you have women in that situation, it creates a whole new set of dynamics which are distracting to training these men to kill or be killed." —Christine O'Donnell, during a 1995 C-SPAN interview when she was press secretary for Concerned Women for America

7. "What I don't like from the president's administration is this sort of, 'I'll put my boot heel on the throat of BP.' I think that sounds really un-American in his criticism of business. I've heard nothing from BP about not paying for the spill. And I think it's part of this sort of blame-game society in the sense that it's always got to be someone's fault instead of the fact that sometimes accidents happen." —Kentucky GOP Senate candidate Rand Paul, May 21, 2010

8. "I think that two wrongs don't make a right. And I have been in the situation of counseling young girls, not 13 but 15, who have had very at risk, difficult pregnancies. And my counsel was to look for some alternatives, which they did. And they found that they had made what was really a lemon situation into lemonade." —Sharron Angle, explaining why she is against abortion even in cases of rape or incest, July 8, 2010

9. "I don't want to be associated with those people, but I also don't want to limit their speech in any way in the sense that we tolerate boorish and uncivilized behavior because that’s one of the things freedom requires is that we allow people to be boorish and uncivilized, but that doesn't mean we approve of it." —Rand Paul, taking issue with the Civil Rights Act of 1964 while arguing that government should not prevent private businesses from discriminating on the basis of race, interview with MSNBC's Rachel Maddow, May 21, 2010

10. "We needed to have the press be our friend ... We wanted them to ask the questions we want to answer so that they report the news the way we want it to be reported." —Sharron Angle, during an interview with Fox News Channel's Carl Cameron, Aug. 2, 2010
  • Tombo Josh 2012/09/19 01:33:37
    Tombo
    I see nothing wrong with anything said there as long as it is in the content that it was intended. Also, the Tea Party didn't get fired up until George Bush did his stimulus in or about 2007. It wasn't around in the 1990's.
  • Josh Tombo 2012/09/19 02:01:07
    Josh
    Those people who said those things in the 90's are a part of the tea party now, the ideals they hold are still the same. So walking all over the constitution is ok as long as the people doing it are far right?
  • Tombo Josh 2012/09/19 19:22:03
    Tombo
    There's nothing unconstitutional about any of those statements. Take statement #1. The second amendment is in place for the purpose of the people controlling the government. Read the first part of that amendment and remember that it is part of the Bill of rights and you will understand. The worst comment was the "boot heel to throat of BP" comment which was a quote from Obama and personifies his attitude toward private sector business and Oil Companies. Other than that there is nothing unconstitutional or wrong with any of that.
  • Josh Tombo 2012/09/20 02:48:14
    Josh
    WOW... So BPs behavior was/is completely justifiable and moral? I am not even going to bother to argue the many other points, you are obviously brainwashed.
  • Tombo Josh 2012/09/24 18:59:53
    Tombo
    I wrote nothing about BP's behavior being justified. I just criticized Obama's disdain for the private sector. Remember Obama is a Socialist who hates the private sector. . President
  • Josh Tombo 2012/09/25 04:53:00
    Josh
    You obviously don't know what socialism is...
  • Tombo Josh 2012/09/27 00:34:50
    Tombo
    I think i do, I've read the book...Have You?
    The Politically incorrect guide to socialism

Also, I've watched the documentary, Have You?

The Agenda
  • Josh Tombo 2012/09/27 02:28:35
    Josh
    Not that particular book and documentary. Obama may not be a great president, but he is not a socialist

2014/11/28 11:13:55