Mo Gov'ment, mo gov'ment, mo gov'ment: "Government-subsidized green light bulb carries costly price tag"

Farnsworth 2012/03/09 15:02:04
I'm a green weenie
Give me Edison or give me darkness
I only really care about myself, but if Obama tells me to buy the bulb, I will, cause I'm a good American

The U.S. government last year announced a $10 million award, dubbed the “L Prize,” for any manufacturer that could create a “green” but affordable light bulb.

Energy Secretary Steven Chu said the prize would spur industry to offer the costly bulbs, known as LEDs, at prices “affordable for American families.” There was also a “Buy America” component. Portions of the bulb would have to be made in the United States.

Now the winning bulb is on the market.

The price is $50.------>Holy Crap!

Retailers said the bulb, made by Philips, is likely to be too pricey to have broad appeal. Similar LED bulbs are less than half the cost.

“I don’t want to say it’s exorbitant, but if a customer is only looking at the price, they could come to that conclusion,” said Brad Paulsen, merchant for the light-bulb category at Home Depot, the largest U.S. seller of light bulbs. “This is a Cadillac product, and that’s why you have a premium on it.”

How the expensive bulb won a $10 million government prize meant to foster energy-efficient affordability is one of the curiosities that arise as the country undergoes a massive, mandated turnover from traditional incandescent lamps to more energy-
efficient ones.

Energy legislation signed by President George W. Bush in 2007 introduced a ban on inefficient incandescent light bulbs, covering traditional 100-watt bulbs this year. Sales of traditional 75-watt incandescents will be prohibited next year, and 60-watt incandescents will go after that.

When replacing a bulb, consumers must now go out and buy energy-efficient incandescent, compact fluorescent and LED (light-emitting diode) bulbs, in a compulsory transition that has prompted some conservatives to characterize the law as an unfair burden on consumers and an “issue of freedom,” as Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) put it.

The L Prize was meant to ease this transition by enticing manufacturers to create affordable bulbs to replace the most common type, the traditional 60-watt.

A Philips spokesman declined to talk in detail about the bulb or its price because the product has yet to be formally launched. It is expected to hit stores within weeks and is available online. But the spokesman said the L Prize bulb costs more because, as the contest required, it is even more energy-efficient, running on 10 watts instead of 12.5 watts. It is also brighter, renders colors better and lasts longer.

Still, the contest set price goals. According to the L Prize guidelines, manufacturers were “strong­ly encouraged to offer products at prices that prove cost-effective and attractive to buyers, and therefore more successful in the market.” The target retail price, including rebates from utilities, was to be $22 in the first year, $15 in the second year and $8 in the third year.
------------------------------------
Farnsworths take:

Green = lower standard of living.

So let me understand, da Gov'ment kills the Edison lamp which is what? A couple of buck for a four pack and replace it the Obama / Biden Dim Bulb for 50 smackers?
Oh and it's subsadised.......more cooperate welfare the left hates. So greenies and anti-capitalist, when are you going to start pissing and moaning?

• Ron Burgundy "Gentlemanly L... 2013/06/01 21:59:08 (edited)
    Ron Burgundy "Gentlemanly Lover"
    what's the big deal? normally old tech is phased out and new tech takes it's place. besides,prices fall after awhile on new tech.
  • templer003 2012/03/09 22:39:59
    templer003
    +1
    $50.00 for a single bulb ???? WTF do they think I'am made of gold or that money grows on trees ???
    Hey Govt. can you guess which finger I'am holding up ????
    I'll if someone can send me a govt. check and I'll sign obitch's name to it ...
  • Farnsworth templer003 2012/03/10 02:54:58
    Farnsworth
    +1
    we all have an old 50 lying around, we're rich after all....we've had Obama for 4 years, we rolling in it
  • templer003 Farnsworth 2012/03/11 00:29:11
  • sick'n'tired PWCM 2012/03/09 22:09:37
    I'm a green weenie
    sick'n'tired PWCM
    +2
    If it is green 95% of the time it is less efficient.
  • Farnsworth sick'n'... 2012/03/10 02:55:34
    Farnsworth
    +1
    green energy leads to 3rd world standard of living.
  • sick'n'... Farnsworth 2012/03/10 03:02:35
    sick'n'tired PWCM
    +1
    That's the intent.
  • VoteOut 2012/03/09 15:32:49
    VoteOut
    +1
    total waste while at the same time Philips labs came out with an incandescent light bulb that produces more light wattage output then it takes in far cheaper then the new alternatives and with out poisonous contents. THats called ingenuity of the free markets vs wet dreams of government mandates
  • Farnsworth VoteOut 2012/03/09 15:47:54
    Farnsworth
    Interesting? Do you have a link to that?
  • VoteOut Farnsworth 2012/03/09 15:52:25 (edited)
    VoteOut
    +2
    I would have to find one but I bought the bulbs from home depot 60Watt output for 40 watt input but just found a link http://www.naturalnews.com/03... ecovantage
  • Farnsworth VoteOut 2012/03/09 16:06:33
    Farnsworth
    +2
    cool, I'll check them out. Is the light white or does it have that weird redish tint to it?
  • VoteOut Farnsworth 2012/03/09 22:23:56
    VoteOut
    +2
    I actualy like them light is brite white. Years ago before the greenies gots crazy I got the pig tail flouresents (thought I was saving money) and I always hated them screwed up all my dimmers and just a hassel, I am switching back now so the ecovantage was a greateful find. I also actualy like the heat that is giving off from incadesents as its helps to heat some smaller and colder rooms and hallways in to the winter.
  • Ron Bur... VoteOut 2013/06/01 21:59:50
    Ron Burgundy "Gentlemanly Lover"
    i'm not sad to see those htings go,i don't use them anymore.

2014/08/20 19:50:30