Mitt Romney's Fetish With Police Uniforms???

luvguins 2012/06/07 18:12:10
Oh, how Mitt and Ann Romney like to speak of and chuckle about what a prankster Mitt is, but most of the recipients like the kid whose hair was cut may not have been amused. Well,l now we have the latest quirk about the Ken doll, and his fellow students thought it was quite bizarre. Of course most states consider impersonating an police officer a felony, but when your Daddy is the governor that charge wouldn't happen especially when Dad even gave him the State Troopers uniform.

With reporting by Kyle Roerink

When Mitt Romney was a college freshman, he told fellow residents of his Stanford University dormitory that he sometimes disguised himself as a police officer – a crime in many states, including Michigan and California, where he then lived. And he had the uniform on display as proof.

So recalls Robin Madden, who had also just arrived as a freshman, the startling incident began when Romney called him and two or three other residents into his room, saying, “Come up, I want to show you something.” When they entered Romney’s room, “and laid out on his bed was a Michigan State Trooper’s uniform.”

Madden, a native Texan who graduated from Stanford in 1970 and went on to become a successful television producer and writer, has never forgotten that strange moment, which he has recounted to friends over the years as he observed his former classmate’s political ascent. The National Memo learned of the incident from a longtime Madden friend to whom he had mentioned it years ago.

Said Madden in a recent interview, “He told us that he had gotten the uniform from his father,” George Romney, then the Governor of Michigan, whose security detail was staffed by uniformed troopers. “He told us that he was using it to pull over drivers on the road. He also had a red flashing light that he would attach to the top of his white Rambler.”

In Madden’s recollection, confirmed by his wife Susan, who also attended Stanford during those years, “we thought it was all pretty weird. We all thought, ‘Wow, that’s pretty creepy.’ And after that, we didn’t have much interaction with him,” although both Madden and Romney were prep school boys living in the same dorm, called Rinconada.

Other eyewitnesses have previously recalled Romney’s alleged use of a police or trooper uniform in pranks during his high school years at the exclusive Cranbrook School in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan.

Phillip Maxwell, a prep school buddy, told the New Republic in 2008 that Romney had pulled over students from a girls school next door to Cranbrook while wearing a police uniform as a prank. Other former classmates described Mitt as a “happy-go-lucky guy known less for his achievements and more for his pranks.”

In The Real Romney, a biography published by Boston Globe reporters Michael Kranish and Scott Helman this year, another former friend recalled how Romney had “put a siren on top of his car and chased two of his friends who were driving around with their dates.” The two friends were in on the scheme, but the girls were not. There was beer in the car trunk, according to a prearranged plan. Mitt told his two counterparts to get out of their vehicle and into his car. Then they drove off, leaving the girls behind.

“It was a terrible thing to do,” said one of his accomplices, a Cranbrook classmate named Graham McDonald.

To some observers, Romney’s alleged masquerading as a cop to intimidate innocent drivers shows a character defect that is also revealed by other bullying incidents during his youth. When those incidents were disclosed in the Washington Post earlier this year, Romney issued an apology of sorts, stating that he had done “stupid” things and was sorry if he had harmed anyone.

While he may have believed that his cop antics were harmless, Romney may well have been breaking the law merely by donning a police uniform, committing a crime if he pretended to be a cop and a felony if he did so more than once. In both California and Michigan, any person convicted of fraudulently impersonating a police officer may be sentenced to up to one year in prison. (The National Memo has collected some other examples of police impersonators.)

The Romney campaign did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

Following his sophomore year at Stanford, young Mitt left and never went back. For more than two years he served as a Mormon missionary in France — thus avoiding the obligation to wear a very different uniform in Vietnam.

• Keeping It Real 2012/06/07 18:38:25 (edited)
    Keeping It Real
    +17
    I heard about the coward fantasy with uniforms and illegal activity while in them. There truly is a pattern as it relates to this man which is he lacks compassion, etc..

• Phyl *In God i Trust* 2012/06/22 00:38:24
    Phyl *In God i Trust*
    so what we have a true American runing for president Our bama calling Biden her more than two times.
  • HiYa 2012/06/15 22:46:26
    HiYa
    +3
    Well he demonstrated what he thinks of the law.

While I miss the humour of f%ck&ng; with unassuming motorists, I don't miss the fact that it is against the law to impersonate a police officer.

It goes to show... The joke is on ANYONE who trust Mitt. He's been pretending to be something that he is not for a very long time now.
  • lurx: the soda jerk 2012/06/14 03:03:41
    lurx: the soda jerk
    +1

...this is offensive on many levels.
  • Atmara lurx: t... 2012/06/17 01:40:28
  • MO.gal 2012/06/12 01:53:29
    MO.gal
    +6
    It seems the "pranks" that amused Mitt were not in the least amusing to the recipients.
    Impersonating a police officer is more than a prank, it's against the law.
  • Cap MO.gal 2012/06/12 09:38:41
    Cap
    +1
    Where in the intro to this thread does it say that the recipients of Romney's pranks found them "not in the least amusing"? In point of fact, I don't imagine that they did, but there's nothing in the intro that says that.

The intro talks about Romney's hair cutting escapade. There is no statement in the intro about that victim being upset, but let's accept for sake of argument that he was. Who's your second upset victim? Graham MacDonald said pulling over cars was "a terrible thing to do", but he was an accomplice not a victim, and we have no idea why he said what he did. In point of fact, what the rest of the article essentially tries to do is impugn Romney for breaking the law. Well, the facts recited in the story are miles away from establishing a case that any laws were broken, and, more in point in regards to your comment, there is absolutely no necessary relationship whatsoever between the breach of the type of laws seemingly contemplated by the article and the existence of "victims". If you hold non-violation of the law to be sacrosanct, you may indeed still have a have a point, but it's not the point you are commenting on.
  • Atmara MO.gal 2012/06/17 01:42:28
    Atmara
    It sure is, and besides that, its gay! LOL
  • JCD aka "biz" 2012/06/11 19:37:24
    JCD aka "biz"
    +2
    Il parle bien français, avec l'assistance d'un "teleprompter" (la vidéo de l'article).
    Il préférait l'uniforme de la police, il détestait l'uniforme de l'armée.
  • #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT... 2012/06/09 06:40:06
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +12
    Typical spoiled rich kid behavior who thinks they can get away with anything & "daddy" will get them out of their mess. When it came down to real things that separate the MEN from the BOYS he showed his true colors in typical Republican rich kid fashion--avoid military service by any means necessary.
  • Lulu's Mom #Justic... 2012/06/09 16:34:19
    Lulu's Mom
    +7
    You are so right Guru. He has no idea how the real world works.
  • Cap 2012/06/09 04:14:16
    Cap
    +1
    To: luvguins and Kyle Roerink

God forbid that either of the two of you should ever come to your senses and realize how appallingly offensive your drivel truly is. And thank you for producing it. I've certainly had my share of experiences as a conservative on SH where I've winced at the offensive racism that has been leveled at President Obama and the humiliatingly stupid petty criticism that has been directed at his wife and hoped that most Americans could look beyond that to see that BHO's critics in the main overwhelmingly consisted of people who were totally unassociated with tinfoil hats or white-sheeted robes. The articles like this one on Romney and police uniforms and the ones preceding it talking about "Mitt the Bully" should have amply demonstrated to SH participants that it's not just the conservatives who have constituents who have become unhinged by their zest for partisan politics or have chosen to play out their derangement, from wherever it originated, in political discourse.
  • luvguins Cap 2012/06/09 04:46:26
    luvguins
    +12
    Funny that I have never seen you criticize your conservative friends here for their distasteful behavior, and the usual suspects are pictured right on your profile, Mr. Litigater. I am getting a whiff of hypocrisy.
  • Cap luvguins 2012/06/09 06:05:33
    Cap
    +1
    Actually, it's not funny at all. You haven't found it because you haven't looked. Which is not to say I make those criticisms on an everyday basis, I don't, but, then again, I'm not very much in the habit of criticizing liberal distasteful behavior, either. When was the last time prior to this I criticized the type of posting (as opposed to the content of a posting) a liberal made? By my reckoning it was May 20th in a thread authored by Foxhound where, incidentally, I criticized conservatives, too. The time before that? You go check, I gave up. Moreover, I will make an even money bet that on every conservative-initiated thread headed by an intro containing references to Mrs. Obama where I've made a comment, I've criticized conservatives for dragging her in. As for the whiff of hypocrisy you think you're getting, you should probably check your living quarters.
  • luvguins Cap 2012/06/09 15:39:15
    luvguins
    +7
    Well, I will have to be much more observant. Seems I have not seen any of your criticisms and I read all posts on questions before I make my own comments or replies especially the bash the first lady ones. Not that I would call you prevaricating though.
  • Jeremiah Cap 2012/06/13 20:16:36
    Jeremiah
    +5
    Of course, you could give us samples of you criticizing conservatives on SH.
  • Cap Jeremiah 2012/06/13 23:43:09
    Cap
    +1
    Okay, let's start in the posting you're responding to where I said I've criticized conservatives for authoring threads that drag in Mrs. Obama; yes, it's a reference to other postings, but it's also a criticism in and of itself. Another? In my posting I most immediately above I identify a thread started by "Foxhound". The thread is called "Can a Republican go to Heaven ... " and in it I urge conservatives to quit indulging themselves by posting "bigoted clap-trap". You can then go to a thread posted by "Scalded Eagle" entitled "Rave this; If you think our Constitution is being incrementally compromised by the left" where I point out the incremental compromises are being done by the Left and the Right, I blame the Left more, but I certainly do not exempt the Right. Lastly, go to the thread authored by "Stryder" entitled "The side of Mitt Romney the press refuses to cover"; first read the thread intro very carefully, and then read my response; Right-wingers think that they can abandon the ordinary rules of discourse just to make a joke.
  • Jeremiah Cap 2012/06/14 02:44:38
    Jeremiah
    +3
    Actually, I was hoping for a few links to posts where you actually criticized conservatives with the same gusto as when you criticize liberals.
  • Cap Jeremiah 2012/06/14 03:15:18 (edited)
    Cap
    +1
    Tell a conservative he's making a baseless attack, he says - if he bothers to respond at all - "I don't care" or "Let's let God be the judge."; say that to a liberal, and he says "I am not." Guess which response generates more gusto? That's not a trick question.
  • Jeremiah Cap 2012/06/14 15:14:03
    Jeremiah
    +1
    IC. Thanks for your input. Have a nice day.
  • Sir Bud. Cap 2012/06/13 22:53:06
    Sir Bud.
    +3
    ..in response.,Some times when in Rome it is more effective to do as the Romans do.
  • Cap Sir Bud. 2012/06/14 00:04:40
    Cap
    +1
    I don't disagree in the least. But the operative term is "Some times". An Englishman in Rome who insists on driving on the left side of the road deserves what's coming to him. Hopefully he learns his lesson. But I hope he doesn't learn it so well that the next time he goes to Nigeria he joins a Muslim crowd intent on stoning a woman to death for adultery. The willingness with which you are willing to adapt certain conduct in order to fit in is normally reflective of the moral value you ascribe to the conduct. (Obviously that's not a universal rule; it's not very likely you're going to find me eating worms, but my reservations about eating them are not morally based - dogs either, though I'd probably eat those, I ate 'cheval' in France and Belgium forty years ago).
  • Sir Bud. Cap 2012/06/14 00:27:34 (edited)
    Sir Bud.
    +2
    Or back at home parking his car in Osceola Florida in the wrong drive way.
    "10 American neo-Nazi group members arrested in Florida raid".13/May/2012 .
    derfgh
    http://www.ejpress.org/articl...
  • Cap Sir Bud. 2012/06/14 01:00:56
    Cap
    +1
    And you sent this to me because ....
    1. You think I'm Jewish and you wanted me to sleep better tonight? (Well, thanks for the sentiment, but, for whatever reason I may be under suspicion, I can deal w/ it .)
    2. You think you recognized my cousin Herman, he's the one with the collared shirt, right? (No. Herman's a blond. Anyway, he's been working for an ACORN front group as an agent provocateur for Tea Party demonstrations while he completed handwriting school in Atlanta. He was surprised recently to receive orders to relocate is to Milwaukee. Imagine that? In any event, Florida seems unlikely.)
    3. You meant to scold someone else? Sounds right.

Beyond those possibilities, I'm really at a loss.
  • Sir Bud. Cap 2012/06/15 00:22:24
    Sir Bud.
    +1
    LOL.Playing dumb and superficial with a perfunctory grin when no alternative possible I guess, and thats crediting you as understanding your own long drawn initial snide and allegorical tainted reply to my one sentence statement.Still having said that and just for the show,heres a reminder(just in case you have forgotten and are too lazy to take another look at your previous post to me);
    Quote YOU;
    "...Englishman in Rome who insists on driving on the left side of the road deserves what's coming to him. Hopefully he learns his lesson. But I hope he doesn't learn it so well that the next time he goes to Nigeria he joins a Muslim crowd intent on stoning a woman to death for adultery...".
    Quote ME in reply;
    "..Or back at home parking his car in Osceola Florida in the wrong drive way.
    "10 American neo-Nazi group members arrested in Florida raid".13/May/2012.".
    I wont"help you"anymore and yes I do know that you have understood that I have understood you and I know that you understand my reply.
  • Cap Sir Bud. 2012/06/15 04:20:25
    Cap
    +1
    Correct me where you think I'm wrong.

Based on the fact that it is commonly known that the English drive on the left side of the road and based on my impression that most of the patrons of SH are aware at some general level that Muslim Courts in Nigeria have applied Sharia Law to authorize the death by stoning of a woman accused of adultery and have had their judicial action approved by a majority of Nigeria's Muslim population, I make a reference that equates the two in terms of conduct that is accepted in the society in which it occurs. You respond by alluding to conduct that might occasion an encounter with a group of American neo-Nazis who were arrested in Florida for plotting to murder minorities (don't correct me for classifying Jews as a minority, I know you lib guys are currently prone to deride Rep/cons for such quaint thoughts, but that isn't what I'm trying to understand here) with a person I hypothesized in the prior sentence; the neo-Nazis arrested are 10 out of a total group of 17. You deride me for failing to grasp that your response equates the societal significance of a group of 17 neo-Nazis in Tampa with the actions of Nigerian society.

I don't know which amuses me more - that you have articulated the expectations you have or that Jeremiah has raved you for...
    Correct me where you think I'm wrong.

I don't know which amuses me more - that you have articulated the expectations you have or that Jeremiah has raved you for doing so. I realize that you've vowed not to help me anymore, so be assured that I'll understand your failure to respond to my request for corrections, even if the reason for the vow went unexpressed.
  • Sir Bud. Cap 2012/06/15 22:23:19
    Sir Bud.
    +1
    Sorry,I didn't realize my comments would be so demanding for you,although I knew of course that diverting to the issue of domestic terrorism screws up most Xeno and Islamo-phobics.
  • Cap Sir Bud. 2012/06/15 22:39:16 (edited)
    Cap
    +1
    "Demanding", yeah, that's the word. At least from your perspective. And to think I was clapping myself on the back for being so flexible of mind as to understand someone expressing a thought as truly demented as the one you have. As for Islamo-phobe, KMA. There are Muslim societies - Indonesia for one - where your Osceola friends would stand out as the demented minority they stand out as in Osceola; Nigeria just isn't one of them. You show me some evidence that you've ever asserted the idea that the Salem Witch Trials and similar phenomenon were nothing America ever ought to have been embarrassed about and I'll rethink the conclusion that your hypocrisy is gargantuan enough to outclass your stupidity; until then, however, I had begun to enjoy the prospect of your promised embargo of your helpful commentary, and I strongly urge you to ignore my previous requests that you reconsider it.
  • Sir Bud. Cap 2012/06/16 01:17:25
    Sir Bud.
    +1
    Well,thanks for the effort and spending so much time on me,I do appreciate that, but you really should know better not to care and get so worked up in the virtual world..
  • Cap Sir Bud. 2012/06/15 07:29:55 (edited)
    Cap
    +1
    P.S. One of the other things i found confusing - in addition to your basic premise - was how does the Englishman get back "at home ... in Osceola"? The Englishman I was talking about - or, at least thought I was talking about - doesn't even know where Osceola is. Or was this your way of making more clear that the fact that there are 17 likely criminally deranged psychopaths in Osceola shows that Osceola has no more claim to moral enlightenment than the Muslim areas of Nigeria where the Pew Research Center indicates the overwhelming majority of people think stoning a woman to death is the right way to punish adultery?
  • Matt 2012/06/08 22:09:29 (edited)
    Matt
    +1
    Just think if we made him the military commander in chief ! In no time at all, he would outrank Idi Amin, Moammar Gaddafi, and even Michael Jackson !

too many military decorations
  • AdLib 2012/06/08 17:34:03 (edited)
    AdLib
    +5
    Creepy! and here's some more creepiness from the cult member.
    "According to the LDS Church, the temple garments serve a number of purposes. First, the garment provides the member "a constant reminder" of the covenants they made in the temple. Second, the garment "when properly worn...provides protection against temptation and evil". Wearing the garment is also "an outward expression of an inward commitment" to follow Jesus Christ. General authority Carlos E. Asay adds that the garment "strengthens the wearer to resist temptation, fend off evil influences, and stand firmly for the right"

creepy romney mormon
  • luvguins AdLib 2012/06/08 17:41:15
    luvguins
    +8
    Joseph Smith is the Mormons Jesus Christ.
  • Lulu's Mom luvguins 2012/06/08 21:23:37
    Lulu's Mom
    +8
    Yes he is.
  • AdLib luvguins 2012/06/09 02:05:37
    AdLib
    +5
    I wonder how the people of Missouri feel about the LDS Millennial Messiah
    ruling the world from their state? According to J. Smith the Garden of Eden is located in Missouri, where the second coming will take place. If he thought MO was the Garden of Eden, he sure didn't make it far from Ohio, when fleeing arrest over a financial scandal.

Romney is a voluntary member of the most blatant cult in America. He should be asked to defend and explain himself, and not try and make this election about competence not ideology. This homegrown religious cult is the largest and fastest growing religion in the country. Holy Shiite!
  • MO.gal AdLib 2012/06/09 03:08:36
    MO.gal
    +7
    I don't think the people of Mo. liked them back then.

garden of eden in missouri garden of eden in missouri
  • AdLib MO.gal 2012/06/09 14:44:12
    AdLib
    +3
    Smith, must of thought MO was a beautiful place, if he considered it the Garden of Eden. Unfortunately for Smith, the good people of MO did not like his polygamist ways.
  • Sir Bud. AdLib 2012/06/13 23:02:07
    Sir Bud.
    Nor the adult sex habits towards the underaged.
  • William luvguins 2012/06/09 06:50:26
    William
    +3
    ... Except Smith never walked on water, fed 5000 with five loaves and two fishes, was prophesied to be the Messiah nearly 700 years before his incarnation, resurected dead people, healed thousands of sick people, restored sight to a man born blind and ... wait for it ... raised himself from the dead after a cruel and gorey death.
  • luvguins William 2012/06/09 15:41:54
    luvguins
    +5
    True. Guess they are worshipping another false prophet?
  • William luvguins 2012/06/13 03:33:18
    William
    +1
    Yep, as opposed to worshiping the True and Living God.

2014/12/21 17:59:47