Mitt Romney We’re a Nation of Makers and Takers, Including Romney — and Me----Agree?

Red 2012/09/18 21:26:54

Read more: http://swampland.time.com/2012/09/18/were-a-nation-of-makers-...

We’re a Nation of Makers and Takers, Including Romney —
and Me
By
Michael
Grunwald
| @MikeGrunwald | September 18, 2012 | 84

Log In with Facebook

Sharing TIME stories with friends is easier than ever. Add
TIME to your Timeline.

Learn More

X
Sharing With Friends

Add TIME to your Timeline to automatically share TIME stories, photos and
videos with your Facebook friends.

Share Only the Stories You
Want

TIME will alert you each time a story is shared and you'll have the option to
keep or remove each story from your Facebook Timeline. Plus, view "Your
Activity" to see a history of stories you've read and remove stories from your
Timeline.

I try not to get worked up about politics, but I hate the Tea Party delusion
that we’ve become a nation that is split between makers and takers. It’s the
false idea that Mitt Romney,
who probably doesn’t believe it, parroted in that cringeworthy video to suck up
to wealthy donors who do. The point of my
Sept. 17 TIME cover story, aside from getting pictures of my
kids and dogs in the magazine, was to show that most Americans are makers and
takers, including me. But we’re proud of our making and blind to our taking,
which is why appeals to the 53% — minus Romney’s gross I-got-mine attacks on
families who think they’re entitled to eat — have some political appeal. Most of
the alleged moochers in the 47% — seniors, disabled veterans, the working poor —
don’t even realize they’re part of it. They understandably assume politicians
must be talking about some other moochers, because they don’t feel like
moochers.

(PHOTOS: The
Rich History of Mitt Romney
)

I really hope the stir over Romney’s political snuff film will help end the
slur that half the country pays no taxes. As many political reporters who never
bothered to correct that nonsense when it wasn’t part of a “gaffe” are finally
pointing out, the 47% of Americans who don’t pay something imprecisely called
income taxes do cough up payroll taxes on their income as well as state and
local taxes, gas taxes, sales taxes and other taxes. And most of us cough up
more than the 13% of Romney’s (unearned!) income that he paid in 2011 while
running for President. It’s hard to say if we pay more than Romney did before
that, because, well, you know.

It’s good to see a broader recognition that most of us are makers and that
most of the nonmakers are seniors on Social Security and Medicare.
What I tried to show in the article is that we’re takers too, even those of us
with a comfortable income. We benefit not only from publicly subsidized roads,
water, electricity, schools, trash collection, police protection, national
defense and, in my case, tennis courts but also lucrative tax advantages for our
mortgage interest,
health
care
, child care, 401(k)s, business expenses and, in some cases, dressage
costs. Some Americans who work in the financial sector enjoy lucrative tax
breaks for their “carried interest,” but of course it’s impossible to know
without seeing their returns.

I hope you’ll read the article; it’s even more relevant today, although I’m
heartbroken to report that one of those hyperactive unsubsidized Boston
terriers, our beloved Shamu, died last weekend after his star turn. I hope
Romney’s nasty comments will attract more attention to that crazy, irritating,
theatrical, soulful, unbelievably wonderful dog scavenging under the chair. RIP,
Shampers. We miss you terribly.

(LIST: All
Campaign Gaffes from 2008
)

• Todayisgoingtobegreat 2012/09/21 12:50:39
    Agree
    Todayisgoingtobegreat
    Im a taker... I take my husbands money and pay the bills. : ) Our family is a maker
  • Okie Lady 2012/09/19 01:51:11
    Okie Lady
    I suppose we all are takers at times and of some things, but I prefer to think of us as makers! I think those of us who work and pay our taxes and help others are the makers. I know that some people are only takers, and I don't like that. Even the poorest of us owe something, like paying at least SOME taxes, for the privilege of living in this country. Nothing is free, and no one should be exempt from helping to support the nation. If they don't, their children and other children will learn not to do their parts, and that just isn't an option! We need everyone working on it to get us out of the hole we're now in if this country is to survive as we know it.
  • pizzaman7 2012/09/18 23:32:02
    Agree
    pizzaman7
    Jesus wanted to teach people to fish. We were not put on this earth to live off the fruit of others. I personally know a few people who could be much better off if they applied themselves. I have a liberal friend who has been out of work for four years. I asked him to attend a charity event at 8 am on a Saturday and he said that is too early for him. Typical liberal. He wants other people to be charitable but not himself. It would of been free for him.

Parable of the Talents. God rewarded the enterprising man the most. The man who buried his money was chastised.

Romney was right to say this. Enough of the politics. Someone has to talk about the truth. Enough of political correctness.

You can't go around blaming your problems on the rich. We need to enthuse the children that if they work hard they can succeed. We have the culture of dependency now. We don't accept responsibility anymore. The government will take care of us.

The top 1% pay 40% of the taxes. I don't hate the rich nor do I hate management. We have to make sure people have healthy attitudes and they certainly do not anymore. No one has the right to demand something from other people. You EARN IT !!!

Anyone can make it in this society even in these bad times.
  • Okie Lady pizzaman7 2012/09/19 01:54:15
    Okie Lady
    Great post! You're right about it all.
  • Red pizzaman7 2012/09/19 07:06:06
  • ☆stillthe12c☆ 2012/09/18 22:19:10
    Agree
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    +1
    I do not think that it is 47% but there are many people that are very capable of working and are just to lazy to do so. The worst thing that ever happen was Johnson and his program of welfare. The people were being taken care of by the Church and other organization. Their programs took care of the people and help them get on their feet and the ones that were not willing to take care of themselves were found out and removed from the program.
    I have witnessed people as much as saying you owe me a home and food. You need to take care of me and my children. I witnessed a woman complaining about that she might have to put in some hour of work each month saying who is going to take care of my 9 children. She had never been married and here children were from 5 different men. This is when I changed my mind about these people when I saw them for what they are.
  • Red ☆stillt... 2012/09/18 22:21:37
  • ☆stillt... Red 2012/09/18 22:46:12
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    Because what I said was the truth. The reason that we have 10 of millions of illegals is because many of the people refuse to take jobs. I have seen many disabled people that were able to do some jobs. At ITT we had a man in a wheelchair that did data entry. We had one person that did not have all her mental faculties but was able to load parts on a conveyor on an assembly line. A guy that loaded material in machine hoppers. Many of these people just do not have any work ethics. When the welfare program came out it was not meant to take care of someone for a life time, but just until they could get on their feet. Then they started to keep people on them. Women found that if the stayed pregnant and had children they would be excuse from searching for jobs. and when they needed more money they just had another child. I have watched people game the system. I watched their boy friends run out the back door and windows when the social works came. I have been in plants when ICE showed and and watch all the illegals run. These people are not Christian and when we do not make them do what they can we are not being go Christians allowing them to get away with this.
  • Red ☆stillt... 2012/09/18 23:17:49
  • ☆stillt... Red 2012/09/18 23:46:02
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    I said many. I have worked with many of these people at the Church. Even some people that are working and just do not make enough to get by. This is a very small amount of the people. We even opened the showers up to them so they can get cleaned up and provided them with a place to stay. We gave them chores to do around the Church in order to put money in there pockets. This is how you figure out if these people are willing to work for a living. We let them use a laundry to wash their clothing. Yo quickly learn if some own is trying to use you. The Church and other organization do a far better job as they deal with these people on a more personal bases. It is like anything the government sticks it nose in it get out of control.
  • Okie Lady ☆stillt... 2012/09/19 02:13:18
    Okie Lady
    +1
    I'm much more willing to help out people who are working and trying to support their families but just don't make enough money than I am to help those who just sit down and wait for someone to give them what they want. Those people will never get any help from me if I can help it. They can just starve for all I care. I like what your church did to help the working poor. More of us should do the same.
  • ☆stillt... Okie Lady 2012/09/19 03:16:54
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    I think that you will find many Churches have such programs. It is not easy to separate the people out for their own good. We had an old Priest that would not hesitate to tell people the way it was. He was a very given jovial soul, but when he had to tell you it was time to stand he meant it. You did not take advantage of him for long and it was always done in love and he would pray before he did any thing. We would be walking down the street and he would walk right up to people and would ask if he could pray for them and then he would have a private conversation with them. I knew at a glance when to move away and wait until he was ready again to continue on.
  • Okie Lady Red 2012/09/19 02:10:24
    Okie Lady
    Why do you have to lose respect for people who don't agree with you?
  • Red Okie Lady 2012/09/19 07:08:07
  • pizzaman7 Red 2012/09/18 23:31:43
    pizzaman7

• Red pizzaman7 2012/09/19 07:12:38
  • Okie Lady Red 2012/09/19 02:09:39
    Okie Lady
    Jesus didn't say the poor would always be with us because He intended for people to be poor! He was pointing out that there WOULD always be poor people, probably because He knew some people just would not work and in a few cases could not. He said this to point out that the people around him needed to pay attention to Him right then, because he wouldn't be here on earth much longer. Then, when He was gone, they could help the poor. Jesus would surely like for there to be NO poor people, because He loves everyone.
  • Red Okie Lady 2012/09/19 07:10:00
  • Okie Lady ☆stillt... 2012/09/19 02:05:23
    Okie Lady
    I taught for 37 years, and the # of children on free lunches grew every year. If they got free lunches they also got free school supplies. Almost all the children who got free lunches wore the best clothes and almost all had a couple of dollars a day to spend to buy extra junk at lunch. What's right about this? Because their school supplies were handed to them free they took no responsibility for taking care of them. The only times I ever saw a student lose a school provided textbook, it was kids who were "poor" so they weren't accountable for them. How is that teaching responsibility for oneself? It just isn't. I'd have been terribly ashamed if I had had to accept public assistance; but I didn't need to because I got an education and worked all the time and married a man who was educated and worked all the time, too. We had 3 children....didn't figure we could really afford any more and were not willing to saddle other people with helping support our children. Our children, in turn, got educated and have children whom they support. Those children are being taught to conduct their lives in the same way.
  • FAWKES' NOOSE ~ ΔTX 2012/09/18 22:00:41
    Disagree
    FAWKES' NOOSE ~ ΔTX
    +1
    Added fun: Paul Ryan's college tuition was paid with Social Security Entitlements he received due to the death of his father.

Paul Ryan is a 47% LEECH.
  • Okie Lady FAWKES'... 2012/09/19 02:22:10
    Okie Lady
    If this is true, that Ryan's college tuition was paid with s.s., then he's just one of many. That's one of the benefits s.s. pays for children whose parents die before the children are raised. There's no shame in him accepting this, unless you want to shame all those who accept it. There IS shame, however, in all the people who work to get their children all qualified as having some kind of disability, so they can get paid by s.s. all their lives. These people will find any kind of label for their children that will get them money to support the whole family on. I've known of at least one family with 5 children who had all of the children "diagnosed" with something that labeled them as not quite normal so they could collect money each month for each one's "disability." The real disability was the laziness of the parents. I don't remember what all the disabilities were, but one was "oppositional defiant disorder".......meaning he refused to behave acceptably at school and the teachers and other personnel and other students had to just put up with his misbehavior, because he "couldn't help it." If one of my children had wanted to "have" that disorder, I'm pretty sure a rear end being worn out daily would have corrected the "problem."
  • FAWKES'... Okie Lady 2012/09/19 02:25:10
    FAWKES' NOOSE ~ ΔTX
    That's exactly what Romney wants to do.

His LEECHES include the elderly, the disabled and the orphaned.

2014/10/30 15:55:26