Mitt Romney: Poor Stay-At-Home Moms Should Work

Foxy Warrior Guru 2012/04/15 21:46:15

Apparently staying at home with the kids is only "work" when rich white women with lots of servants and politician husbands do it.

Mitt Romney: Poor Stay-At-Home Moms Should Work (VIDEO)
April 15, 2012

“My career choice was to be a mother, and I think that all of us need to know that we need to respect choices that women make…Mitt and I have compassion for people that are struggling and that’s why we’re running. We care about those people that are struggling.”
~Ann Romney

When Ann Romney made this statement on Fox News last week, she probably should have known that it would come back to haunt her and and her husband. How could she have not known that there would be video tape of her husband being a complete hypocrite? Well, that footage has now been found and it blows a hole Romney’s ‘war on moms’ attack against President Obama.

MSNBC’s Chris Hayes discovered that in January of this year, Mitt Romney told a crowd in New Hampshire that he wants to force poor women who stay at home to care for their children to go to work.

“I wanted to increase the work requirement. I said, for instance, that even if you have a child 2 years of age, you need to go to work. And people said, ‘Well that’s heartless.’ And I said, ‘No, no, I’m willing to spend more giving day care to allow those parents to go back to work. It’ll cost the state more providing that day care, but I want the individuals to have the dignity of work.’”

Here’s the damning footage:

So when wealthy moms like Ann Romney stay home to raise their kids, it’s work, but when financially struggling mothers stay home with their kids, it’s not. Romney even goes further. Apparently when poor mothers stay home with their kids they have no dignity either. This is exactly the point Hillary Rosen was trying to make on CNN last week. Ann Romney is worth over $250 million. She clearly could afford to stay home and mother her kids. That’s assuming the Romney’s never hired chefs, nannies, or maids to do a good part of the raising. Poor mothers on the other hand don’t have the same luxury. They either choose to stay home and care for their children while relying on welfare or they choose to work, sometime multiple jobs. Clearly, Romney doesn’t respect all the choices women make and he certainly doesn’t have compassion for struggling moms who want to stay at home.

Read More: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/04/15/mitt-romne...

• Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~ 2012/04/15 22:17:29
    Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~
    +20
    It's just like everything else in the GOP: two rules - one for poor people and another for the rich. The truly sad part is that there are so many of the poor and the working poor that think the GOP has their back.

It's just not so, folks. The GOP doesn't give a rat's a$$ about the poor and the working poor.

vote democrat

• Machinegunn 2012/04/16 00:13:20 (edited)
    Machinegunn
    +5
    ......I bet it was TOUGH wondering whether to EAT at WOLFGANG's or just have another EVENING with the PRIVATE CHEF, at HOME!!!......
  • Chieki 2012/04/16 00:12:13
    Chieki
    +3
    Really!!!!

wth
  • Huntclan 2012/04/16 00:04:10
    Huntclan
    +3
    Are you saying stay at home moms don't work hard?
  • findthelight2000 2012/04/15 23:17:25
    findthelight2000
    +5
    And just how does he expect them to find jobs if all he knows is how to buy out companies and send their jobs overseas?
  • RogerCoppock 2012/04/15 23:13:18
    RogerCoppock
    +4
    And Mommy can't find a job? What then?
  • Sissy RogerCo... 2012/04/17 12:01:51
    Sissy
    +2
    Or even if Mommy does find a job, how does she pay for high childcare bills?
  • luvguins 2012/04/15 23:01:15
    luvguins
    +8
    More hypocrisy from Romney? I'm shocked....NOT! This Rosen bruhaha was made into faux outrage by the right to deflect from the GOPs 3 year attack on womens rights. They saw how low Romney was in the polls with independent women.
  • marianne luvguins 2012/04/16 06:14:39
    marianne
    +3
    ouch, is this just another indication how little they can see the big picture.

anybody should have seen this trainwreck coming from miles away..... ;]
  • Chris- Demon of the PHAET 2012/04/15 22:47:54
    Chris- Demon of the PHAET
    +6
    "I want the individuals to have the dignity of work". Wasn't his wife just arguing that raising children was work? If his point is economics than why is paying more for child care preferable to any other government aid?
  • ehrhornp 2012/04/15 22:38:42
    ehrhornp
    +7
    lol, I am not surprised. Republicans, hypocrites to the max!
  • Sissy 2012/04/15 22:23:39
    Sissy
    +8
    I would say that 90% of women who are low income aren't "choosing" to stay home and collect welfare checks, it is economically impossible for them to do otherwise. Child and health care are the two biggest obstacles for the poor working mother. If those obstacles are taken away, then I would say "yes", she needs to do all she can.

Having said that, I would also agree that Ann Romney being a stay-at-home Mom with very little or no doubt, entailed nannies, nursemaids, housekeeper, upstairs maid, downstairs maid, a chef and driver. In that Rosen was right. She doesn't have a clue what its like to be in the middle or under classes and struggling, about the same as her spouse.
  • The13th... Sissy 2012/04/16 08:18:01
    The13thPixie BN-0
    +2
    "I would also agree that Ann Romney being a stay-at-home Mom with very little or no doubt, entailed nannies, nursemaids, housekeeper, upstairs maid, downstairs maid, a chef and driver. In that Rosen was right. She doesn't have a clue what its like to be in the middle or under classes and struggling" ...That was exactly what Rosen was saying.
    applause
  • No nons... Sissy 2012/04/16 12:17:34
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
    You don't know that!
  • Sissy No nons... 2012/04/17 12:04:16 (edited)
    Sissy
    +1
    What? That Mrs. Romney didn't have a boatload of "help"? You don't think she didn't? If I would have had lots of kids and a husband near a billionaire, I would be hardput not to have had a little assistance, ya think?
  • No nons... Sissy 2012/04/17 14:39:33
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
    What I said is you really don't know what help she had. I like to think in terms
    of Jackie. who surely hsd help, but the role she played in her children's lives
    was huge and very intimate. I wouldn't begrudge any rich person the help
    they can afford. I don't have any idea when Ann Romney was afflicted with
    MS, but I watch her now and admire her spirit. I hear people talking about an
    elevator in Mitt Romney's garage, and I think it probably was installed to
    make life a little easier for Ann...... not some fancy of the rich. Jackie Kennedy children
    Jackie Kennedy children

Jackie Kennedy children

Ah, who didn't enjoy the Kennedy 1st Family?
  • Sissy No nons... 2012/04/17 21:43:21
    Sissy
    +1
    I have not the least little doubt that all wealthy mothers have "help" regardless if they're dems or republicans. Rose Kennedy took extended European vacations leaving her brood of nine under the care of nannies, nursemaids and all the other assistance she hired (I also understand she paid terrible wages too!).

That's my point. To be so self-righteous in defending so called "mothers at home" flies in the face of not feeling the need to defend her. If we would not have needed my paycheck to just live, I would have loved staying home and working as well. There just seems to be a double standard for the rich and the not-so-rich. Let that mother go back to work when the child is 2, but by golly let the wealthy Mom stay at home if she chooses. Sounds about the way it is to me.
  • No nons... Sissy 2012/04/17 22:18:40
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
    Mitt Romney did acknowledge the need for affordable day care for working mothers.
  • Sissy No nons... 2012/04/18 10:50:21
    Sissy
    +1
    Yes I know. The Romney's took the Rosen comment and self-righteously claimed it was an attack against mothers who "choose" to stay at home, it seems it only meant the wealthy. Those mothers of toddlers need to get their fannies out in the work force as soon as possibe.
  • No nons... Sissy 2012/04/18 12:40:27
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
    "took the Rosen comment and self-righteously claimed it was an attack against mothers who "choose" to stay at home,"

WTF does this comment mean? Hillary Rosen's comment was
    a personal attack on Ann Romney and an attack on stay at home mothers. There was no "self-righteously claimed ".
  • Sissy No nons... 2012/04/18 12:47:31
    Sissy
    +1
    Oh baloney. Ann wasn't insulted in the least. Instead she said off camera and she thought out of earshot, "it was an early birthday present" and the campaign jumped on it like a fly on cow dung. It seems that Romney only believes that wealthy mothers should be able to choose to stay home and those pesky middle and undeclassers need to get their arses out there in the work force flipping hamburgers regardless if they have infants or not.

You need to pay more attention cupcake.
  • No nons... Sissy 2012/04/18 13:03:34
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
    ""it was an early birthday present" and the campaign jumped on it like a fly on cow dung."

I don't know where you get your infomation............do you
    have a link to avideo of Ann making that statement? Or did you hear it
    reported as fact on MSNBC? Rosen's attack WAS a personal
    on Ann Romney no matter who says what. I haven't heard Ann
    Romney say she is "finally proud of her country, have you? The
    only difference between Ann Romney and Welfare mothers
    living off their entitlement welfare check is Ann wasn't taking
    taxplayer's money.
  • Sissy No nons... 2012/04/18 13:09:57
  • No nons... Sissy 2012/04/18 13:15:25 (edited)
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
    I can't pull this link up. What does it matter what Ann Romney said anyway? What Hillary Rosen said ia the issue.

BTW, Blaming Ann is just like the 0-bots always blaming
    a Republican for what a Liberal says and/or does. I am surprised you didn't try to blame Laura Bush!
  • Foxy Wa... No nons... 2012/04/18 20:31:13
    Foxy Warrior Guru
    +1
    I had no trouble whatsoever pulling the link up. Here's a little hint--you have to actuall click on the little blue letters for it to work. Although I guess it is so much easier to just look at the link for a second then lie and say you couldn't get it to work so you can dismiss it out of hand.

ann
  • No nons... Foxy Wa... 2012/04/18 22:21:30
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
    "for a second then lie and say you couldn't get it to work so you can dismiss it out of hand"

WTF.............The audacity of you calling me a LIAR!
  • Foxy Wa... No nons... 2012/04/18 23:53:32
    Foxy Warrior Guru
    +1
    You're the one who claimed you couldn't pull a perfectly workable link up.
  • No nons... Foxy Wa... 2012/04/19 12:43:20
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
    And the link didn't work; so what did I lie about, Foxy- name-
    caller?
  • Sissy No nons... 2012/04/19 12:18:53
    Sissy
    +1
    That's tough about Anne's sensibilities being assaulted. The link was how she didn't mind it a bit and considered the statement an early birthday gift for the campaign which they jumped on like a fly on cow dung. Both Obama's and their campaign derided the statement about any candidate's family member being insulted. Not quite the Romney's taking issue with Ted Nugent's trash talk about the President, prophisizing his death should he get another term. Where was the refuting by the Romneys for that outrageous statement from a known pedophile who Willard has called his friend. That was a lot more serious but as usual, you on the Right never find anything wrong with your side showing hypocrisy and total lack of class.
  • No nons... Sissy 2012/04/19 12:54:40
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
    This poll question is about a statement made by Hillary
    Rosen about Ann Romney, and per usual the Left (you)
    distract by saying the essence of "blame Bush". '
  • Sissy No nons... 2012/04/19 13:04:32
    Sissy
    +1
    The "statement" has been gone over au nausium, Typical RWNJ who continue to belabor an unimportant, shallow, nonsensical statement and gloss over anything that really matters. All of you show that unfortunately on a daily basis. Frustration perhaps? Right now, that remark which has been refuted at the highest levels, is so unimportant but you continue to whine and whine and its not worth another nickle's worth ofdiscussion. I'm sure you're tickled that I'm done with it. In the larger scheme of things, its totally irrelevant and I think you've gotten about all the mileage in the grand scheme of things that you can.
  • No nons... Sissy 2012/04/19 13:10:45
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
    And you are still off topic....... typical 0-botic response.
    If you have no substance, you name call, ala Alinsky!
  • Sissy No nons... 2012/04/21 10:37:22
    Sissy
    I am exactly on topic, you just don't like losing arguments.
  • No nons... Sissy 2012/04/21 16:34:42
  • trentinafur 2012/04/15 22:21:24
    trentinafur
    +8
    "I want the individuals to have the dignity of work."

This is perhaps the most damning part of what he said. So raising children does not provide a stay at home parent (mom or dad) with dignity? Stay at home parents have no dignity?

This is completely counter to what he is NOW trying to say.

What?? Contradictory statements from "Weather Vane Romney"? Shocking, I tell you...simply shocking!! ;-p
  • No nonsense NanC...don't BS... 2012/04/15 22:20:07
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
    +3
    There are some statiatics which say people who work and provide for their families have
    more self esteem than those on welfare.
  • Jakedog No nons... 2012/04/16 02:02:47
    Jakedog
    +2
    Any links?
  • DutchHe... Jakedog 2012/04/16 04:02:28
    DutchHeretic Native non-American
    +4
    Of course not .. statistics like this are sucked out of a thumb (as we call it here)
    What Mitt Romney means , is that incomes should be so low that both parents should be working at least two jobs so there will be no time left to learn about what is going on in the country and protest against the GOP who they have to thank for that..
    Silence the riffraff that is what it is all about...
  • No nons... DutchHe... 2012/04/16 12:00:50
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
    Are you really that silly?
  • DutchHe... No nons... 2012/04/16 12:22:18
    DutchHeretic Native non-American
    No but you obviously are..
    If you are that stupid to notice it , of even more stupid to ignore it you are really silly..
    Just looking at your avatar explains a lot ...
    Yes my avatar is a joke, but at least is is not a racist insult like yours..
    Silly Obama hater , you are so full of it ...
    Goodbye ..
    This means you are blocked , you are just a waste of time ..
  • No nons... No nons... 2012/04/16 12:48:45
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
    Mr gas passer F.M. is not only silly, he is a Hit & Run Coward......... you know the kind who insults you and then blocks you before you can respond. I am always happy when a H&R_C blocks me because that also means the coward can't
    insult me anymore; so thank you.

fart

2014/11/24 06:56:54