Mitt Romney, in a speech to Otterbein University students, tells them to borrow money from their parents to start a business. Is he out of touch with average Americans?

Diane 2012/04/29 14:29:02

• Jimbo 2012/04/29 17:23:20
    Yes, he is out of touch with average Americans.
    Jimbo
    +11
    Doesn't everyone get a million from their family to start out? Romney thinks so.

• Roger 2012/05/05 13:34:20
    No, he was only talking to the children of wealthier parents.
    Roger
    I wish there would have been an “other” choice to this question, but they only gave me two, and I don’t consider either to be the correct one. I hadn’t seen this clip prior to here and on the surface if that were the only thing Romney had said I would have chosen one of both of those answers. However, not wanting to jump to conclusions based on what I saw on a five second clip out a forty-five minute speech I went back and watched that speech in its entirety. I concluded that for someone to take those few seconds and cut them distorts the concept of what was said. To isolate that small piece; that lead in to an example of a success story where someone did borrow money from their family shows me only one thing; a bias attempt to influence opinion. As a student myself I am concerned about jobs and the future. I found much of what Romney said worth consideration in basing my opinion in the elections this November. I would not have been bored and I am sure many others in that audience also were not.
  • Diane Roger 2012/05/05 22:06:19 (edited)
    Diane
    So, tell me. How was that quote taken out of context?

"We’ve always encouraged young people: take a shot, go for it, take a risk, get the education, borrow money if you have to from your parents, start a business."

"BORROW MONEY, IF YOU HAVE TO, FROM YOUR PARENTS."
  • Roger Diane 2012/05/06 14:17:49
    Roger
    +1
    The lead in remark to that line; as Romney stated it was the “attack” on small businesses through excessive taxation and regulation. Immediately after that comment he used an example of someone in the past that did borrow money from a family member and was successful. He completed his point by saying (paraphrasing) that students today value and expect those same opportunities and that the President is attacking those opportunities. Using the context of the speech as a whole; fitting that line into the speech as a whole, and what was said immediately before and after reflected that throughout the history of this country “We have encouraged…” His example of borrowing from your parents was one of many examples he could have used however; borrowing from parents or family to start a business is very commonplace. You don’t have to be talking tens of thousands of dollars. I borrowed four thousand from mine to buy a computer for my business. Believe me they are far from rich. The line was part of a bigger point that no matter how you start your business; taxation and regulation are making it harder. He was not telling these students to go borrow money from their parents. To isolate that small 5 second clip and suggest this was his point is nothing but biased!
  • Roger Roger 2012/05/06 14:40:31
    Roger
    +1
    ...and totally out of context to the point he was making
  • Diane Roger 2012/05/07 21:40:18
    Diane
    He also told them to borrow money from their parents to get an education. A college education costs more than a few thousand dollars. I guess they'd have to borrow money from their parents if Romney becomes president, because he would cut Pell Grants.
  • Roger Diane 2012/05/08 09:16:57
    Roger
    First of all, I could find no where that Romney said he would cut or end Pell Grants. He did say however, that he supported the Ryan Plan. This is the ammunition that the Obama campaign is using to say he would cut Pell Grants. I have read the Ryan Plan and what it actually calls for a cap on Pell Grants at the current rate of $5,500 per year rather than to raise it to $5,635 next year as it is set to do. The second stage of the Ryan plan proposes a 14.3 percent cut in all nondefense discretionary spending from the prior year. The math the Obama campaign is using that 14.3 percent reduction applied across the board to the Pell Grant would bring the maximum Pell Grant down $4,595 per year thus a reduction of $1,000 per year per grant. The Ryan plan does not call for an across the board reduction however. What it calls for is an eligibility cut leaving the most deserving lower income people still eligible for full benefits. I was unable to find an estimate as to the amount of people that would affect but due to some research I did, I calculate that would be the top 2-4 percent of income earners would no longer be eligible. So you are correct there would be some cuts. Take into account though that even the Department of Education has stated that Pell Grants have gone from 16.1 b...
    First of all, I could find no where that Romney said he would cut or end Pell Grants. He did say however, that he supported the Ryan Plan. This is the ammunition that the Obama campaign is using to say he would cut Pell Grants. I have read the Ryan Plan and what it actually calls for a cap on Pell Grants at the current rate of $5,500 per year rather than to raise it to $5,635 next year as it is set to do. The second stage of the Ryan plan proposes a 14.3 percent cut in all nondefense discretionary spending from the prior year. The math the Obama campaign is using that 14.3 percent reduction applied across the board to the Pell Grant would bring the maximum Pell Grant down $4,595 per year thus a reduction of $1,000 per year per grant. The Ryan plan does not call for an across the board reduction however. What it calls for is an eligibility cut leaving the most deserving lower income people still eligible for full benefits. I was unable to find an estimate as to the amount of people that would affect but due to some research I did, I calculate that would be the top 2-4 percent of income earners would no longer be eligible. So you are correct there would be some cuts. Take into account though that even the Department of Education has stated that Pell Grants have gone from 16.1 billion in 2008 and will reach an estimated 36.4 billion in 2013. They also state that there will be a 20.4 billon dollar shortfall and current course it is unsustainable. One last thing; Romney has stated the best course is to bring down the cost of education. I have to agree with him on that.
  • Roger Roger 2012/05/08 09:43:50
    Roger
    When I decided to return to school I was amazed that I qualified for a $2,500 Pell Grant. I didn’t need it and refused it. I am working my way through school. I would be in that 2-4 percent reduction of benefits and honestly, people like me don’t need it and shouldn’t be eligible. If people that don’t need it stopped taking free stuff just because we are told we can have it, those that do need it would be better off.
  • Diane Roger 2012/05/08 14:51:17
  • Roger Diane 2012/05/09 03:22:32
    Roger
    +1
    OK Diane. Give me some time. I work two jobs and go to school full time online. It has been a really rough week for me at work though. Kicking my butt and wearing me out. It will take me a day or two to read and respond to the link but I will. I really do like our conversation so don’t go away.
  • JMCC 2012/05/02 17:44:15
    JMCC
    +2
    do you think that he is "in touch" with anything?

out of touch with reality
  • LindaM 2012/05/02 17:15:44 (edited)
    LindaM
    +3
    But it's actually both answers.. Could he be anymore ignorant. My parents would have laughed me out of the house.
  • ally LindaM 2012/05/02 17:34:30
    ally
    +3
    My parents, too. Did you see the looks on those kids' faces? It was "Duh!!" Romney should stay away from college campuses, women' shelters, parks where middle class people go...... oh, heck, he should just sit in one of his mansions and give daily radio speeches!
  • LindaM ally 2012/05/02 17:40:57
    LindaM
    +3
    Did they even bother to listen to him? I dont' think so. Most were bored or just gave a "what"? He figures that everyone is sittin' pretty.
  • ally LindaM 2012/05/02 19:38:42
    ally
    +1
    When kids know more about what's really happening in this country than the candidate who speaking to them- that's scarey!
  • painted... ally 2012/05/02 19:32:06
    painted desert
    +2
    Love it!
  • ally painted... 2012/05/02 19:39:47
  • Diane ally 2012/05/02 22:36:29
  • ally 2012/05/02 16:22:21
    ally
    +3
    How can students borrow from their parents when their parents are out of work and barely surviving themselves? Sorry, Mittens, we weren't born to rich daddy's like you and your conservative friends.
  • beach bum 2012/05/02 05:12:11
    beach bum
  • **StarzAbove** 2012/05/01 20:45:50 (edited)
    **StarzAbove**
    +5
    He has no clue how the americans live. No clue whatsoever. If their parents could afford it they wouldn't need a student loan. Evidently he thinks all of us are as rich as he is.
  • Sissy **Starz... 2012/05/02 12:54:54
    Sissy
    +4
    You're right. He has "no clue" and doesn't care to get one either.
  • **Starz... Sissy 2012/05/02 12:56:25
  • painted desert 2012/05/01 20:33:37
    painted desert
    +5
    Oh just another damn welfare president! Borrow from their parents!! Hell, let them get a job and earn the money! Hell, Romney never had to borrow money for college from his parents, they gave it to him!! lol. What a joke!

Ron Paul 2012
  • Diane painted... 2012/05/02 01:18:02
    Diane
    +2
    I'll give you a rave, even though I'm not a Ron Paul fan. (Though, I must admit, Ron Paul isn't quite as bad as Romney.)
  • painted... Diane 2012/05/02 02:37:40
    painted desert
    +1
    Thank you, a vote for Ron Paul is one less for Romney.
  • Diane painted... 2012/05/02 05:36:44
    Diane
    +3
    So is a vote for Obama. :)
  • Sissy Diane 2012/05/02 12:55:35
  • painted... Sissy 2012/05/02 14:40:28
    painted desert
    Awww
  • painted... Diane 2012/05/02 14:41:51
    painted desert
    +1
    Yes indeed!
  • LindaM painted... 2012/05/02 17:27:42
    LindaM
    +1
    I raved you but not a Paul fan. I was told to work for it. Learned alot too.
  • painted... LindaM 2012/05/02 19:20:59
    painted desert

Ron Paul 1812
  • just me 2012/05/01 19:25:29
    just me
    +4
    All I can say is he doesn't have a clue about how the current economic recession has affected most of us or how we now live. If he is elected, I figure he will simply let his right wing advisers make his decisions.
  • betz 2012/05/01 19:01:01
    betz
    +2
    I can relate to that. When my husband and I started out we borrowed money from both of our parents. They were hard working people who invested wisely and saved for situations such as that. Thanks mom and dad for setting such a good example for both of us. Our daughter borrowed from us hen she started out on her own. We bought her a new car and helped her when she needed help. Guess we have good work ethic.
  • Giantfan betz 2012/05/01 19:19:44
    Giantfan
    +7
    My parents were dirt poor but not lazy. Romney looks at things from what he has seen in his life. He never missed a meal like I did or walk around in shoes with more holes than soles. I'm sorry betz but if you never lived it you can't understand it. I can't understand what it feels like to be rich and not worry about paying for something or anything. I worked hard all my life and I made enough to pay my bills and put food on the table and clothes on my families back. This man is out of touch with a whole lot of people who were like my dad hard working but poor. Even you can't feel it and you aren't rich. Going hungry and having little to wear is not pleasant and I wish it on no one. We didn't choose to be poor but we were. My dad was a hard worker and my mother was a great mom but by dropping out of school to join the army it wasn't the smartest thing for my dad to do. My dad needed an education but didn't have one. Education is important to lift people out of poverty so they don't need our support. Romney needs to know this. As I said if you haven't lived it you can't claim to know what it's like. No offense just fact.
  • painted... Giantfan 2012/05/01 20:54:58
    painted desert
    +4
    I'm with you Giantfan, I wasn't quite as bad off as you were. But very close. My father was the only bread winner, (didn't want my mother to work) he had basic education, then died when I was 9. My mother had to get a job quickly, doing what she could. We lost our house, and had to move so many times. I was never in the same school for more then 2 years. She re-married a wonderful man, who took very good care of us. It wasn't rich or fancy by any means, but it worked. This man is the only man I called Dad. I worked my way through college, didn't borrow money from them. I used the Student Loan programs. I didn't have a car till I was 26, that I bought myself for $600. I road the bus, or got a ride with someone I worked with. Giving them gas money once a week too. I have always worked, and so has my husband. We NEVER borrowed a dime from our parents. They didn't have extra money to give. They would have given it gladly, but we earn all we have now on our own.
  • Giantfan painted... 2012/05/01 21:58:29
    Giantfan
    +4
    My dad was 11 years in the army but after getting out he could only get a job as a welder in a casket company, he didn't make much and my mom was home raising 4 kids. We moved 11 times in my first 18 years of life. Luckily most were in the same town (we rented) so I went to the same school until I was in 10th grade when we moved to another town. I was lucky because in my junior year 3 towns (schools) came together to form one school and one of them was my previous school and all my friends were back. I may have been poor but I have some good memories and some very good and loyal friends. Just try and throw out the bad and dwell on the good. That's how I feel.
    I'm glad things finally worked out for you. It's nice to hear a story with a happy ending.
  • painted... Giantfan 2012/05/02 03:10:22
    painted desert
    +2
    Sounds so familar. Maybe not the same town or state, but the jobs situation and the moving thing. I too have some great memories, but some other very dark sickening times as well. But I came away much stronger, with lifelong friends. Too bad, I have no family left. Just my soulmate. He makes up for it all. I hope all is well with you too dear friend.
  • Giantfan painted... 2012/05/02 14:16:28
    Giantfan
    +4
    My only bad times were when my dad got drunk. I hated that. My mother said he barely drank before going to Korea. He told be his best friend had his head blown apart over there and he was near him when it happened.. No wonder he drank when he got back. It's no wonder I quit drinking at the age of 24.
  • painted... Giantfan 2012/05/02 14:46:21
    painted desert
    +2
    I can totally relate to that. My parents were both drank a lot. It was the times too. But I'm very sorry for all you had to go through. But it did bring out the strong person you are now. I like you, never drank much and stopped about the same age or so.
  • Giantfan painted... 2012/05/02 15:26:58
    Giantfan
    +2
    Well I feel you are a really good person. I'm very picky with whom I like. I have a few good friends on here from both sides right and left. I may not agree with the politics of those on the right but that doesn't mean they aren't good people either. In real life I have a good number of people I consider friends but only a few "true" friends.

2014/10/22 08:14:16