Mitt Romney Blames Obama For His Refusal To Release His Tax Returns

ProudProgressive 2012/04/18 11:44:47
One of the favorite pastimes of the Right Wing is to try to come up with reasons to blame President Obama for everything that's imperfect in the universe. He signs an executive order to increase natural gas production (that's applauded by the industry) and it's a "government takeover". He expresses sympathy to the family of a murder victim and he's a racist. And of course, even though he took office in 2009, he's responsible for the Great Recession that began in 2007.

Now Mitt Romney has joined the Blame Obama Bandwagon. Apparently it's the President's fault that Mr. Romney refuses to release his financial records. It has nothing to do with the fact that Romney has more tax sheltered money than some small countries, or that he gave a $100 million dollar "gift" to his kids and didn't pay a penny in taxes. No, it must be Obama's fault.

Article excerpt follows:

By: Sarah Jones
April 17, 2012

Mitt Romney finally sat down for an interview with the mainstream media (insert clapping here; this is a huge step for a Fox Republican). In his ABC World News interview with Diane Sawyer, Mitt took the opportunity to side step her questions about his refusal to release his tax returns and blamed Obama for his decision.

Mitt Romney isn't going to turn over more than one year of tax returns (maybe two, but the second won't be unveiled until weeks before the election) because… Obama.

It's all Obama's fault. Mitt claims that Obama wants to avoid discussing the Bush economy (that is also Obama's fault, according to Mitt) and so Obama brought up Mitt's tax returns for no good reason. Never mind that releasing tax returns is long-standing precedent of transparency; itself a tenet of our system of government. Heck, Mitt's own father released 12 years of tax returns when he ran for President, former President Bush released 17 years and Obama has released over a decade's worth of returns…

Mitt doesn't have to because… Obama!

Partial transcript courtesy of ABC:

DIANE SAWYER: Moving on. President Obama threw down a kind of gauntlet to you over the weekend. And he said, "Release 12 years of your tax returns. I'm releasing them. Release 12 years. If you have nothing to hide why not release 12 years as your father did?"

MITT ROMNEY: Well, the president is going to try and do everything possible to divert from the attention being focused upon his record as president and the failure of his economic policies. So he's going to try and make this campaign about the fact that I've been successful, that I've made a lot of money. So he wants to be able to get all the details on each year and how much money I made this year and that year. I'm not going to get into that.

I'm going to focus on getting America strong again. And we've released all the information required by law and then some. And both John Kerry and John McCain and– and President Obama– they released two years of r– of records. (Not true, Obama released over a decade worth of returns, but nice try MittRo). I'm happy to release two years of records– and that's– plenty for people to understand how I paid my taxes and– the fact that I've been highly successful.

DIANE SAWYER: And John McCain said they gave him 23 years of tax returns when he was considering you for the vice presidency. If John McCain can get 23 should– for transparency's sake the rest of the American public get 23 years?

MITT ROMNEY: Well, actually the American public has through legislation determined that we need a extraordinary dis– set of disclosure of financial records of people running for president and I have complied with all that and then in addition put out two more years of tax returns.

(One year, actually, and the extension filed this week.)

And exactly as John McCain and– and– John Kerry had, and– I know the Obama people want to get us to do something that will cause a lot of attention to be drawn to the fact that I've been successful. John McCain wasn't worried about diverting from the issues of– of the– of the day, but I understand that the Democrats are going to try and do everything in their power to keep this election from being about the failure of President Obama to turn around our economy.

End Transcript

Ah, yes. It all makes sense now. Romney gave two years (but not really) and that is enough because of Obama. Yes, see, Obama expects Mitt to comply with the same rules as the rest of the candidates, but somehow Romney sees this as Obama wanting to distract the public with Romney's success.

Read More: http://www.politicususa.com/mitt-romne-obama-tax-r...

• glenn 2012/04/20 00:04:21
    glenn
    +3
    Romney keeps saying the same thing. He and everyone knows that he is rich. That is not the point. The point that everyone want's to know is what percentage of taxes did he pay and how much did he donate to charity. But actually most people want to know if he did anything illegal with his money. If you want to be President you have to come clean with the American public but since he doesn't want to show his tax returns makes me want to think that he has been cheating the government for a long time and he knows that if he does release his returns that he will lose the election but could also lose his freedom by being locked up in jail for fraud and many other things that I probably don't know about.

• glenn 2012/04/20 00:04:21
    glenn
    +3
  • darcie lamar 2012/04/18 13:59:22
    darcie lamar
    Pure distraction epic failure obama
  • Karen 2012/04/18 13:09:56 (edited)
    Karen
    Apart from his financial history...even if that information had not been available to the public, the very fact that he is so reluctant to disclose his tax records makes the public suspicious. Even the most unsuspecting souls among us are left to wonder why he's trying so hard to hide this information. Changing the subject or placing blame when he's asked to explain this during an interview makes him look even worse. Most people can see right through it.
  • CREW grand 2012/04/18 13:00:33
    CREW grand
    +1
    I can't really comment because I'm too weird.
    I consider "acquiring wealth" and "being successful" as two different things.

Don
    +1
    WHY is it Obamas fault that romeny won't release HIS OWN taxes?

Makes not one iota of sense.
  • Sport_Geoff 2012/04/18 12:16:08
    Sport_Geoff
    +2
    Mitt is exactly right about Obama. The only reason Obama is pushing for his tax returns is so he can drive his class warfare game for votes. Obama is a FAILURE and he knows it so he want's to harp on the fact that Romney made a lot of money and portray him as one of those "hateful" rich people. Never mind the fact that Romney made it legally and worked for it, never mind the fact that Romney has paid all taxes owed and taken legal deductions allowed by the IRS, and let's not talk about the fact that Obama has sealed his records about his education and the loss of his and Moochelle's law degrees.
    Of course the gimmie gimmie gimmie liberals who sit on their azz waiting for a check from people like Romney swallow this garbage (i.e. as in garbage posted in post like this) hook, line, and sinker because their 8th grade drop out education has precluded them from ever making anything other than a government leech out of themselves.

I hope that when Romney does release his returns he also releases his college grades and 12 years of charitable donations and then calls for the pretender in chief to do the same.
  • Fire&Ice 2012/04/18 11:57:36
    Fire&Ice
    +1
    "Obama expects Mitt to comply with the same rules as the rest of the candidates,"

Cool. When is 0bie going to produce all the documents he's been hiding for 4 years?
    Nothing major, just a PAPER b/c that can be authenticated and perhaps his Selective Service ppwk, college transcripts, valid SSN, stuff like that.
  • ProudPr... Fire&Ice 2012/04/18 12:11:57
    ProudProgressive
    +1
    The President hasn't been hiding anything. He released his birth certificate four years ago. He has always had the same social security number. His college transcripts are irrelevant.

I see Mitt isn't the only one who will avoid ANY issue or ANY responsibility just to launch further empty attacks on the President.
  • Fire&Ice ProudPr... 2012/04/18 12:27:30
    Fire&Ice
    +1
    Barry has NEVER released anything but a CG 'file'.
    Attorney Alexandra Hill admitted in a NJ court that the online rendition is a 'forgery' which is an incorrect term because it's not even a paper DOCUMENT.
    He may have been using that same SSN for quite a while but never has explained why is doesn't fly with E-Verify and how he obtained a Connecticut number issued to someone else when he has never lived in the state.
    YES, his college transcripts are very relevant to show how he registered as a student. Was he a U.S citizen or did he register as a foreign student?
  • Lady Wh... ProudPr... 2012/04/18 12:49:14
    Don't waste your breath, PP, they aren't gonna listen to ya!

2014/04/24 02:34:43