Michelle Obama's DNC Speech: Hit or Miss?

SodaHead Politics 2012/09/05 13:00:00
Related Topics: Michelle Obama, DNC
By most accounts, Michelle Obama's Democratic National Convention Speech Tuesday night was a big hit. The first lady spoke admiringly of her husband's middle-class roots (recalling how when they first got together, Barack's car had a hole in it through which she could see the pavement), character and accomplishments. Here are some key sound bites from the speech...

michelle obama

"Well today, after so many struggles and triumphs and moments that have tested my husband in ways I never could have imagined, and I have seen firsthand that being president does not change who you are. No, it reveals who you are."

"So when it comes to rebuilding our economy, Barack is thinking about folks like my dad and like his grandmother. He's thinking about the pride that comes from a hard day's work. That is why he signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act to help women get equal pay for equal work."

"That is why he cut taxes for working families at small businesses."

"That's how he brought our economy [from the] brink of collapse to creating jobs again. Jobs you can raise a family on, good jobs. Right here in the United States of America."

"When it comes to the health of our families, Barack refused to listen to those folks who told him to leave health reform for another day. Another president. He didn't care whether it was the easy thing to do politically. That is not how he was raised. He cared that it was the right thing to do."

"He -- he did it because he believed that here in America, our grandparents should be able to afford their medicine. Our kids should be able to see a doctor when they're sick. And no one in this country should ever go broke because of an accident or an illness."

"And he believes that women are more than capable of making our own choices about our bodies and our health care."

"Barack knows the American dream because he's lived it. And he wants everyone in this country, everyone to have the same opportunity no matter who we are or where we are from or what we look like or who we love."

What did you think of Mrs. O's speech?

• Bali 2012/10/21 14:25:46
    Miss
    Bali
    if she would have just crawled up there and made animal noises it would have been better.
    any suggestions?
  • AAA123 2012/10/18 22:18:09
  • andy15554 2012/09/28 23:36:16
    Miss
    andy15554
    More lies from the liar in chief's big bottomed wife.
  • red 2012/09/18 05:32:28
    Miss
    red
    I don't care for this woman. She has always struck me as a black racist who white liberals are easily fooled by due to their naivety!
  • Sherry 2012/09/17 14:44:24
    Miss
    Sherry
    +2
    Obama, and Michelle used Obama's own mother to lie about his whereabouts when she was dying of cancer in the hospital, and lies about her insurance coverage, to further his Deathcare push.
  • Annette 2012/09/12 00:18:07
    Miss
    Annette
    +3
    Sorry, I just cannot watch that puke face talk any more than I can the usurper!
  • nofrills Annette 2012/09/12 00:59:13
    nofrills
    +1
    Despite Michelle's strong and eloquent delivery on how she and President Obama empathize and desire to work harder for the American people, it is hard to see where they have found the time betwixt their extravagant vacations and frequent tee times. It is difficult to picture them reading letters from struggling Americans who are having trouble paying their bills in one hand and confirming a reservation for the Obamas to take two separate planes to Hawaii for vacation (where they will arrive within hours of each other) in the other. But Michelle insists that America has a president who says to her, "You won't believe what these folks are going through...it's not right . We've got to keep working to fix this. We've got so much more to do."

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.co...
  • Annette nofrills 2012/09/12 01:54:09
    Annette
    +1
    Well, thanks for the synopsis. Much rather hear it this way than have my stomach up-chuck at having to see or here it being said. Thanks for the American Thinker link too - love reading his articles. When you come across people who lie out of habit and/or for a living, those are the kinds of people you want to stay as far away from as you can possibly get. They mean nothing but trouble for the hearers in EVERY instance.
  • Deb 2012/09/10 17:27:40
    Miss
    Deb
    +4
    She is the other half of LIAR LIAR!
  • Tendai Deb 2012/09/17 11:31:53
    Tendai
    America is not ruled by president. So it is hard for Obama to impliment all his strategies. She is not lieing. She is empting the heart of her husband.
  • fedup52 2012/09/09 11:53:13
    Miss
    fedup52
    +4
    Michelle Obama you are not the American woman. You don't dress yourself, you don't do your own hair, nails or makeup. You have 28 people that serve your needs and then you have your mother to be mother to you and Barack and your girls. Your parents worked themselves to the bone to see that you got a better life. Where is your narrative that includes them in your White House life? Your Dad has moved on, but your mother lives in the shadows for you. Not one mention of her in your fab speech, how come? What you and Barak have in common is the "tale" you tell that is covering your true desire for Americans, that we all share the misery of serving the government instead of the government serving We the People.
  • Gayle fedup52 2012/09/09 13:29:13
    Gayle
    you are dumb and blind
  • belle Gayle 2012/09/09 19:09:33
    belle
    +1
    why would you say that??? Its it not true that Michelle has a large staff to help her with her hair, make up and other things. Not sure about the acual number. but 5, 9 or 10 is more than an average american woman. Even if gedup was blind sounds like she LISTENED to the speech, don't need eyes to listen. Oh and she is here on SH,
  • fedup52 Gayle 2012/09/15 19:49:54
    fedup52
    Did you attend school? Beginning of a sentence deserves a capital letter and you end your sentence with a punctuation mark. See not dumb and blind. You can throw mean and non-factual items but evidently you don't know how to use a search engine on the internet. You can get lessons from your local librarian. Then you will be able to respond with some facts, they call that a rebuttal.
  • belle fedup52 2012/09/09 19:09:46
    belle
    good comment
  • fedup52 belle 2012/09/15 19:52:58
    fedup52
    +1
    Thank you. The blind are under served and should not be used as a cudgel. You would think that if they want to change a person's perspective they would try a persuasive tone instead of a blunt cudgel. In fact blind people perform all the tasks that Mrs. Obama has the taxpayers pay to do for her, so you don't even need sight to accomplish those tasks.
  • Sable 2012/09/09 05:03:22
    Miss
    Sable
    too many embellishments, partial truths and "truth perversions". mr obama is nothing like me - that was a flat out lie. I served my country, started a business without somebody else doing it for me - AND, I believe in following the laws of our nation - not writing executive excuses orders to bypass them. Also moosie's dress looked like a hideous little girl outfit. YEEEEECH!
  • Gayle Sable 2012/09/09 13:31:30
    Gayle
    I know who your not voting for. You don't listen.
  • APLWONK 2012/09/08 19:03:57
    Hit
    APLWONK
    +1
    Michelle was great!
  • Gayle APLWONK 2012/09/09 13:31:44
    Gayle
    +1
    I agree
  • Crank_It_Up 2012/09/08 15:15:48
    Hit
    Crank_It_Up
    +1
    I didn't expect Michelle to knock it out of the park, but she certainly did, props to her
  • Marek 2012/09/08 10:04:33
    Miss
    Marek
    +3
    Big ado about nothing. Her speech was a dud. I don't care how she and barack met. I care that she was not proud of her country for most of her life until she was about to be crowned virtual queen. Even then she is only proud of black America and still despise white Americans who build this country and made it the best country in the world which she and husband decided to change.
  • Gayle Marek 2012/09/09 13:32:56
    Gayle
    You a close minded person
  • Marek Gayle 2012/09/09 14:10:52
  • belle Marek 2012/09/09 19:12:19
    belle
    +2
    must be because you didn't let Mischelle pull a fast one with her speech. Good for you, great cooment I notice Gayle didn't respond to you.
  • Scrappyang Marek 2012/09/12 02:53:15
    Scrappyang
    I must say she isn't my favorite first lady, but she sure beats the first murderess from the last administration who had the nerve to write a book on rearing children while hers were ticketed for DUI and public intoxication and under aged at that!!! But back to the subject, can you honestly say you were proud of this country during all the scandals that happened over the past 40 years? Mary Jo Kopecknics "murder" made to seem an "accident", the FBI agent turning over secrets to our enemies, the sale of arms to a country that our laws forbid doing so (to the Contras for those who have forgotten), all of the sexual scandals that were so prevalent by all parties in the 80's, 90's, and 2000 first decade, to name a few that brought shame on the USA? If you can say those things made you proud, you are the one who needs to leave the USA and take cutsie Ann Romney with you. She sure isn't a Betty Ford, Barbara Bush or Cindy McClain !!
  • Marek Scrappyang 2012/09/14 06:54:59
    Marek
    I get it: You love Moochelle 0'bumba and don't like Ann Romney.
  • Scrappyang Marek 2012/09/14 12:11:38
    Scrappyang
    Guess you don't get it. I may not care for Ann Romney,but at least i'm respectful of her - her husband, too. I mentioned things that have happened that are embarrassmentto this country for anyone and that Mrs.Romney can't hold a candle to Betty Ford, Barbara Bush, or Cindy MCain.
  • Marek Scrappyang 2012/09/14 12:21:48
    Marek
    The question referred to Mrs 0bama and Mrs Romney. All the other names only serve as distraction and are irrelevant to the question. Out of the two I Like Ann Romney better then M. 0bama.
  • Scrappyang Marek 2012/09/14 12:42:47
    Scrappyang
    +1
    That is your opinion and that's just fine. You are more than entitled to it. And thank yiu so much for showing respect. i am very appreciative of that. You responded I liked Mrs.obama and not Ann Romney. That is only partly right. I did not care for Ann Romney's speech especially when she talked about "womens lot in life." I think of my mama who worked for nearly 40 years as a teacher when she would have muched rather have stayed home with her children. But she and my dad decided they wanted to be able to send us to callege and have their home paid for ASAP. When my dad had a heart attack, it was a good thing she did teach because that wasin the years if you got sick you were on your own and sick leave was unheard of. Neither of these two understand things like that. Thank you again for being so polite.
  • Marek Scrappyang 2012/09/15 01:06:33
    Marek
    I see your point but the fact that she was born to the rich parents does not make her bad person. And out of the two rich women I like Ann Romney better.
  • Scrappyang Marek 2012/09/15 18:56:58
    Scrappyang
    Marek, I'm glad you like Ann so much. I wish I had that clear a cut opinion. I'm not saying Mrs Romney is a bad person at all. I'm saying she has no clue what it is like for women who are not. She was able to be a stay at home mom, which is not a bad thing just as a working mom is not a bad thing. Most are choices for a lot of women. Sadly the majority of women must work so their children can have a decent home and clothes to wear to school, warm coats and not have to decide about buying meds or food if someone becomes ill. When Mrs Romney talked about accepting a womens lot in life, it turned me off from her and her speech. I know it was only a tiny part, but sometimes it's those tiny parts that influence the most - either pro or con. She had me in he4r corner until that.
  • fedup52 Scrappyang 2012/09/15 20:00:58
    fedup52
    +1
    Scrappy I missed that part of the speech that she "accepted women's lot in life"? Your promoting the war on women agenda; the only war on women was won by the Islamist's which the Obama's are very fond of. Islam doesn't require female castration (yes it exists, check it out 85% of Islamic women, as early as being a toddler had it done by their loving fathers (sarcasm). They are the world's worst human rights offenders. Ann Romney raised her own children, not her parent. I can respect Mrs. Romney. Being a full time mom is looked down upon by most, it was refreshing that your Mom had wanted to spend all her time with her children.
  • Scrappyang fedup52 2012/09/15 20:17:27
    Scrappyang
    I'm really sorry about my wording. I meant when Ann said it was women's lot in life. Not that she accepted it. And no, I'm not promoting the war on women. I know about how women are treated by their loving parents in most Islamic cultures, especially in those where the men feel women are useless compared to sons and aren't worthy of being educated and as you mentioned, being mutilated.
    Hit
    FAR BETTER than any First Ladies speech about her Husband than I have ever seen or heard.
  • nofrills sjalan 2012/09/12 00:59:33
    nofrills
    +2

• Scrappyang nofrills 2012/09/12 03:00:22
    Scrappyang
    What you are saying so reminds me of the administration who went to TX and played around every other week at taxpayers expense. Or the one that went to CA every other week. I'm sure our first female president and our first murderess both had lots who loved them and thought no one could be better. Oops! Didn't Alexander Haig say he was in charge when the president was shot? Guess he forgot about those our Consititution says were in line before him!!
  • Marek Scrappyang 2012/09/14 07:00:48
    Marek
    +1
    From your rant, I get the impression that you are blaming President Reagan, President H W Bush and President George W Bush for obama failures.
  • Scrappyang Marek 2012/09/14 12:21:13
    Scrappyang
    Thank you so much for knowing how i feel. I wasn't blaming anyone for the president's failures. I was saying there is enough blame to go around for a lot of misuse of dollars for frivolous use of Air Force One. Andin my personal opinion on First Ladies, Nancy Raegan and the murderess are NOT my favorites. Barbara Bush and Betty Ford are. I hardly keep that "secret".
  • One of a Kind 2012/09/07 18:41:46
    Hit
    One of a Kind
    +1
    I love Mrs. Obama the first lady is awesome

2014/04/16 16:30:00