MICHELLE OBAMA: THERE‘S ’NO PLACE BETTER’ THAN CHURCH TO TALK ABOUT POLITICAL ISSUES..and lose their tax-exempt status; is this a call for a state run church?

Space Invader 2012/07/03 03:02:37
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/michelle-obama-theres-no-plac...

Is this a move to start a state run church she is in favor of; or just more political blather(something she is getting better at)?

• Bob S MsTlynn... 2012/07/06 01:38:44
    Bob S
    Saying one thing and doing something else is ok if your not talking politics anywhere within the 4 walls of a religious institution. When Mrs. Obama told the congreation that they had to get out the vote she at that point crossed the line. Someone of her stature should know better than to even imply anything about politics. She has much power in this country. I'm sure you'll agree with that.
  • MsTlynn... Bob S 2012/07/06 01:56:29
    MsTlynne #NoJusticeNoPeace
    She was well within the law. EVERY end his speech with " get out and vote (for the candidate of your choice)." Mrs. Obama is no different.
  • MsTlynn... Wolfman 2012/07/07 01:33:27
  • ☆stillthe12c☆ 2012/07/03 06:29:42
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    +2
    At this time I am not sure what to think.
  • Katherine 2012/07/03 06:12:48
    Katherine
    +1
    IMO, this is their preparation for taking down (or converting) the Church.
  • mich52 2012/07/03 05:25:55 (edited)
  • keymanjim mich52 2012/07/03 05:41:07
    keymanjim
    +7
    I noticed that you made no attempt to answer it.

Just more of the alinsky school of avoiding embarrassing facts.
  • mich52 keymanjim 2012/07/03 17:49:39
  • Space I... mich52 2012/07/03 18:07:30
    Space Invader
    do we have to go there?
  • mich52 Space I... 2012/07/03 18:24:55
  • keymanjim mich52 2012/07/04 06:48:50
    keymanjim
    Then, by your standard, you were expecting some dick.

Glad I could disappoint.
  • mich52 keymanjim 2012/07/04 14:18:03
  • stevmackey 2012/07/03 05:08:58
    stevmackey
    +2
    What church does she mean? If it was their former pastor, I would not believe a word of it,
  • Dwight 2012/07/03 04:36:25
    A State Church
    Dwight
    +2
    Leftist love religion when they controll it.

the krimlin
  • COCO Dwight 2012/07/03 04:58:35 (edited)
    COCO
    +2
    Very true indeed,most of them are atheist but Oh how they love to tell people about Jesus,whenever serves their agenda.
  • Christy 2012/07/03 04:31:25
    Christy
    +1
    In a bit more context:

"And to anyone who says that church is no place to talk about these issues, you tell them there is no place better -- no place better. Because ultimately, these are not just political issues -- they are moral issues. They're issues that have to do with human dignity and human potential, and the future we want for our kids and our grandkids. And the work of inspiring and empowering folks, the work of lifting up families and communities -- that has always been the work of the AME Church. That’s what you all do best.

Think about it for a minute. Folks just don’t turn to all of you in times of spiritual crises. They come to you with financial crises and health crises and family crises of all kinds. That’s why AME churches are taking on issues from HIV/AIDS to childhood obesity to financial literacy. Every day, you all are giving folks the tools they need to take control of their lives and get back on their feet.

And if you're not already doing this, I'm here to ask you to take that work to the next level. So the next time you organize that food drive, pair it with a meeting at city hall and ask what they're doing to fight hunger in your community. If you've got an exercise ministry or a health ministry, maybe they can work with your town council...

In a bit more context:

And if you're not already doing this, I'm here to ask you to take that work to the next level. So the next time you organize that food drive, pair it with a meeting at city hall and ask what they're doing to fight hunger in your community. If you've got an exercise ministry or a health ministry, maybe they can work with your town council to clear out a walk-in trailer, clean up a local park. Keep on doing that great work with your youth groups, but start showing up at those school board meetings and make sure those kids are getting the education they deserve. Take it to the next level."

Full text of speech at http://www.whitehouse.gov/the...

I don't approve politics and religion mixing, and I think there's a lot of churches that do not deserve to be tax exempt, but it looks to me like she is just trying to get people to get involved at a local level to make their communities better. It doesn't look like she's pushing people to vote one way or the other. I certainly don't see anything at all hinting of any kind of "state religion."
  • MsTlynn... Christy 2012/07/08 04:33:28
    MsTlynne #NoJusticeNoPeace
    Amen
  • TruBluTopaz 2012/07/03 03:55:30
    Political Blather
    TruBluTopaz
    +2
    People are political, churches are made up of people, therefore most churches are political. Where I think the line should be drawn is having politicians speak to congregations and using religious gatherings to sign people up to vote. But it's still going to go on.
    +3
    Hmm ..
    I heard the rumor ..
    (mayhap it is more than rumor indeed)
    that there was going to be sent ..
    into specific 'target' churches ..
    'coaching' ..
    on how to be Political .. withOUT losing their Tax Exempt Status ..
    (wonder if that is going to apply the same to all churches .. or just the selected few?)
  • mchappell2 2012/07/03 03:25:52
    mchappell2
    +3
    Both the Obamas are so full of themselves...Who knows what will happen
  • EDWARD G 2012/07/03 03:20:43
    EDWARD G
    +6
    Unless of course you oppose the Obama in which case such talk is a violation of the First Amendment. Wait until the Catholic Churches start opposing the provisions of Obamacare.Michelle's tolerance will end.
  • Space I... EDWARD G 2012/07/04 14:22:49
    Space Invader
    And the Catholic Church will oppose it; as they should; as should any freedom loving american
  • EDWARD G Space I... 2012/07/05 16:04:24
    EDWARD G
    Agreed. Thank you.
  • Vision of Verve 2012/07/03 03:11:45
    Political Blather
    +5
    So how are unions tax exempt when they force their payees by coercion to vote democratic,
  • Space I... wtw 2012/07/03 03:10:03
    Space Invader
    +4
    I don't know; when I was in the Teamsters; I had to pay tax ; and Unions make money; they invest pension funds.....good question!
  • wtw Space I... 2012/07/03 03:52:10
    +1
    Of course you pay taxes--the unions do not!
  • MsTlynn... wtw 2012/07/03 07:45:25
    MsTlynne #NoJusticeNoPeace
    My union has NEVER, EVER in 15 years suggested for whom I should cast my vote.
  • wtw MsTlynn... 2012/07/04 18:59:02 (edited)
    What is your union? Come on you can't tell me there was not pressure from them and your peers (peers is the key word) to vote democratic--please be honest?
  • MsTlynn... wtw 2012/07/05 04:12:37
    MsTlynne #NoJusticeNoPeace
    Alabama State Employees' Assoc.
  • Kat ♪ ~ ♪ 2012/07/03 03:07:10
    Kat ♪ ~ ♪
    +5
    They were supposed to be sending IRS and other officials to the black churches to coach them what they could say legally to help Obama while keeping their tax status. They are desperate.
  • Space Invader 2012/07/03 03:03:39
    Space Invader
    +4
    China has these; England had this.
    Can we expect this in the next Obama Administration?

2014/12/21 12:47:50