Michelle Obama, Dr. Jill Biden Draw Boos at NASCAR Event

BrianD3 2011/11/21 17:32:41

First Lady Michelle Obama and Dr. Jill Biden were grand marshals at today’s NASCAR season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway, appearing as part of their charitable campaign to support military veterans and their families.

But their benign, bipartisan cause wasn’t enough to prevent public fallout from the nation’s polarized political climate as they were introduced before the crowd.

ESPN video from the event documented loud boos from some in the stands as the announcer named Obama and Biden, seconds before they delivered the “most famous words in motorsports,” telling drivers to start their engines.

The pair — who co-chair the Joining Forces initiative — stood beside retired Army Sgt. Andrew Barry and his family. Barry was wounded in action in Iraq and Afghanistan, retired from the military in 2009 and now volunteers at an Orlando veterans center, the announcer said. He received resounding applause.

A source traveling with the first lady downplayed the incident, telling ABC News there was no discernible booing during the “loud chaotic program with jets flying over and tons of noise.”

The Associated Press reported that the two women received a standing ovation at the pre-race meeting with drivers, during which Obama said NASCAR was “amazing in terms of its support, not just today but every day, for military families.”

Before the race, the first lady addressed a barbeque for military families that NASCAR had invited to the event.

“Everyone around the country is focused on you. And this isn’t just an effort today,” she said. “ Jill and I through Joining Forces, we want to make this a part of the dialogue in this country forever. Whether Jill or I are here or not, whether this administration is here or not, this is about the way we want this country to talk about our troops, veterans and military families forever. We want you to feel that appreciation and that gratitude so that you know your sacrifice is not in vain.”

The negative reaction from fans was first reported by Mediaite.

Read More: http://news.yahoo.com/michelle-obama-dr-jill-biden...

• Scout Freedom4 2011/11/22 18:17:55
    Scout
    +1
    Cry baby? Dumb ass, I'm not even a democrat, nor did I vote for Obama. I do come from a better class of people, however, who respect the commander in chief. When it's time to vote, I'll do my duty and vote my conscience. I learned that sort of respect from my drill sergeant. Sounds like some of you could have benefited from that training, as well.
  • Hawk Scout 2011/11/22 18:39:44
    Hawk
    +2
    Respect is not a given you have to earn it. I`m glad you came from a better class of people,self praise stinks. The commander in chief and his spouse are not deserving of respect. You get what you give in life I don`t care what title you have. I do thank you for your service to our country you have my respect and well earned.
  • Scout Hawk 2011/11/22 18:50:36
    Scout
    +1
    With all due respect, I believe that you're wrong on this and I'll tell you why. The president is the CinC. Below him are various and sundry officers who command the rest of the Army (or other branch) Just because a soldier doesn't 'like' the troop commander doesn't make it right to disrespect him, especially in public. We have a responsibility to maintain the proper decorum, regardless of the popularity of the commander or even his competence. It's not always easy, I know. A few 2nd Lt's tried my patience.
  • Hawk Scout 2011/11/22 19:29:21
    Hawk
    +1
    What don`t you understand about respect being earned. It isn`t about being liked it`s about being incompetent and destroying this country.
  • Scout Hawk 2011/11/23 04:22:22
    Scout
    I guess you never served.
  • BrianD3 Scout 2011/11/23 12:19:54
    BrianD3
    I did serve and I am fine with Michelle getting booed
  • Scout BrianD3 2011/11/23 18:56:26
    Scout
    Refer to my original post.
  • BrianD3 Scout 2011/11/28 12:38:21
    BrianD3
    the death of civility is on the hands of the liberals who have demonstrated over the last several decades that they will resort to just about anything to get their way. Glad you are proud of Ayers and Van Jones and the thousands of idiots just like them.
  • Scout BrianD3 2011/11/28 14:32:48
    Scout
    lol...it's easy to point fingers isn't it? And this whole liberal and conservative thing...you're still falling for that crap? Wake up sucker, they're each opposite sides to the same coin. They get the gullible to take one side or the other and then you're so fixated on the false premise of democracy in America that you ignore the man behind the curtain.
  • Hawk Scout 2011/11/23 16:10:49
    Hawk
    +1
    Wrong I have served.
  • Scout Hawk 2011/11/23 18:58:17
    Scout
    OK, the end is near,,,
  • Hawk Scout 2011/11/24 15:27:15
    Hawk
    +1
    Brilliant responce.
  • Scout Hawk 2011/11/25 03:10:37
    Scout
    It's response.
  • BrianD3 Scout 2011/11/23 12:19:04
    BrianD3
    OWS has proven that allright
  • Tom 2011/11/22 17:37:46
    Inappropriate/ Not funny
    Tom
    +2
    That being said, read the following for a more nuanced opinion.

http://bigjournalism.com/dloe...
  • LOU Tom 2011/11/23 16:23:09
    LOU
    What a Dana Loesch is a mildless idiot. Trying to make comparrisons like that.
  • Sport_Geoff 2011/11/22 17:00:15
    Appropriate/ Funny
    Sport_Geoff
    +5
    I think its funny. Obviously she didnt understand what NASCAR stands for.

No Michelle it isnt:

N - National
    A - Association of
    S - Stupid
    C - Crazy
    A - Ass
    R - Radicals

(i.e. the democratic and liberal parties)

Stick to things you know Michelle such as having Hate Rappers read poetry at the White House or attending a church that preaches white hatred or hanging out with know terrorist such as Bill Ayers......you know, people like you who have never been proud of America until you figured out a way to 'GET YOUR CUT"
  • Lanikai Sport_G... 2011/11/22 17:16:54
    +1
    brilliant, absolutely brilliant
  • BrianD3 Sport_G... 2011/11/22 17:27:09
    BrianD3
    +1
    that is a fact and well said, thanks
  • Melicious Kiss of PHAET 2011/11/22 16:49:08
    Inappropriate/ Not funny
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +4
    I think these people should be ashamed of themselves.
  • Sport_G... Melicio... 2011/11/22 17:26:05
    Sport_Geoff
    +1
    You mean like "not proud of" as in "For the first time in my life I am proud to be an American"..is that kind of shame you are suggesting?
  • Melicio... Sport_G... 2011/11/22 17:36:35
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +1
    Nope. Not what I meant.
  • Latti I... Sport_G... 2011/11/22 21:36:46
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    Does too wrongs make a right? This country formality is falling by the waste side, with everyone wanting to behave like a four year old. Booing is being infantile, whether you agree with her or not. Simple actions can be put forth, vote Obama out and while your doing that vote out all of the corrupt politicians from both parties.
  • Sport_G... Latti I... 2011/11/22 21:46:23
    Sport_Geoff
    +1
    Even though I am registered republican it does not prevent me from voting who I believe is best qualified and in tune with my opinions. I plan on doing my part to "drain the swamp" in 2012 and it my vote knows no party lines.
  • BrianD3 Latti I... 2011/11/23 12:21:06
    BrianD3
    it is the peoples right and responsibility to let their leaders know that they are messing up.
  • Ozzyboy Melicio... 2011/11/22 21:09:11
    Ozzyboy
    +1
    I don't think you will see any shame out of biden or bama.
  • Melicio... Ozzyboy 2011/11/22 21:24:32
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +1
    And what of the cause they were supporting. Was that worth boos also?
  • Chet Melicio... 2011/11/22 22:12:20
    Chet
    It is possible to dislike the messenger, not the message. Get some perspective.
  • Melicio... Chet 2011/11/22 22:15:23
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +1
    And yet, their rude behavior still disrespects the message. So the message is lost to the booing and the crowd's child like behavior. Shame on them.

It's possible to act like a grown up, rather than a jackass. Get some perspective.
  • Chet Melicio... 2011/11/22 22:23:51
    Chet
    Lose perspective on the fact that a majority of those people have been disrespected for several years by this administration and are upset about it, therefore showing said emotion when the chance arises. Gain the perspective that no matter what you feel or what's been done to you, your family and your country, cheer for the people doing it or else, no matter what. Got it..... Your not running for office in the next election are you? With that kind of perspective, you could go all the way to the top!
  • Ozzyboy Melicio... 2011/11/22 23:14:56
    Ozzyboy
    +1
    I don't know much about biden other than she married that idiot. The other is doing whatever is politically expedient to try to protect hubby's job. She got booed because the people see right through her and her fakery. It was stupid to go there in the first place, given the things she and hubby have said about this country, the people and the vets. I didn't want the people to boo her because it would make them look bad. I wanted them to loudly ask her "Where are the jobs."
  • HL Melicio... 2011/11/23 02:30:36
    HL
    +1
    Consider the morons that attend these events! They have no shame and no brains.
  • BrianD3 HL 2011/11/23 12:21:41
    BrianD3
    consider the morons that think OWS is a good idea
  • HL BrianD3 2011/11/23 21:10:47
    HL
    It has done it's job, it has made people aware other than RW's that JOBS not DEFICITS is the issue today, if you get unemployment down to 4% the deficits will decrease because of the added revenue, the RW DA's in congress can't grasp it for some reason maybe it's just above simple comprehension.
  • BrianD3 HL 2011/11/23 22:06:08
    BrianD3
    jobs have always been the issue, just dissagree on how to make that happen and government bailouts and "stimulus" isnt the answer
  • Chet HL 2011/11/23 20:00:39
    Chet
    +1
    Same could be said about the people making comments like that. Any substance at all.... or just some old fashioned stereotyping and truth deflection today?
  • HL Chet 2011/11/23 21:14:26
    HL
    Hey this is opinion site and I have my opinion, from the people I see that insult the First lady and go to NASCAR races are typicaly uninformed about the world around them and come from a lower sense of education. Just a well informed unemotional opinion.
  • BrianD3 HL 2011/11/23 22:07:24
    BrianD3
    apparently they were informed enough to know that she is an enemy of America
  • Wayne 2011/11/22 16:41:28
    Free Speech rules!!
    Wayne
    +4
    We have the right to show or not show our appreciation for anyone period!
  • iamparrot 2011/11/22 16:33:06
    Appropriate/ Funny
    iamparrot
    +6
    Booing the 1st and 2nd lady was appropriate and should have been expected! Did their handlers think that these 2 elitist women could be sent to the heart of those people that "cling to their guns and religion" and "should be watched for suspected domestic terrorism", be greeted with open arms?

Seriously, these 2 ladies have nothing in common with most NASCAR fans, who are typically conservative patriots, not liberal Marxists/socialists/communist...

I wonder if Michelle is "proud of her country" now.

All the insults this administration has thrown at conservatives, what other reaction would have been expected? Invite her over for a bowl of chili and a few grilled bratwursts and a cold beer? Hardly.

2014/04/20 03:25:43