Messaging the Shooter: Which Is More to Blame for Gun Violence?

Fef 2013/01/07 20:00:00
Guns
Media
Gun violence has many causes and contributing factors -- including evil people. Bob Garfield writes in Media Post about his views on gun control vs the media. Who deserves more blame for mass public shootings?

MEDIAPOST.COM reports:There must be a deeper, more sinister, more pernicious explanation. When a deranged kid, armed to the teeth, murders two classrooms full of children, it can’t simply be about Americans’ near universal access to unlimited quantities of firearms and ammunition. Something else must be making lunatics kill.

Here is Wayne LaPierre of the National Rifle Association, illuminating the real culprits in Sandy Hook and 2012's other mass shootings in Colorado, Pennsylvania, Georgia, Wisconsin, Florida, California, Oklahoma, Washington, Delaware, Texas and Oregon:

"And here's another dirty little truth that the media try their best to conceal: There exists in this country a callous, corrupt and corrupting shadow industry that sells, and sows, violence against its own people.

Through vicious, violent video games with names like Bulletstorm, Grand Theft Auto, Mortal Kombat and Splatterhouse. And here's one: it's called Kindergarten Killers. It's been online for 10 years. How come my research department could find it and all of yours either couldn't or didn't want anyone to know you had found it?

Then there's the blood-soaked slasher films like "American Psycho" and "Natural Born Killers" that are aired like propaganda loops on "Splatterdays" and every day, and a thousand music videos that portray life as a joke and murder as a way of life. And then they have the nerve to call it "entertainment."

But is that what it really is? Isn't fantasizing about killing people as a way to get your kicks really the filthiest form of pornography?

In a race to the bottom, media conglomerates compete with one another to shock, violate and offend every standard of civilized society by bringing an ever-more-toxic mix of reckless behavior and criminal cruelty into our homes — every minute of every day of every month of every year."

Read More: http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/1904...

• judge 2013/01/07 22:38:00
    Media
    judge
    +17
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/or...
    German philosopher Georg Friedrich Hegel long ago developed, among other things, what he called the principle of "thesis, antithesis, synthesis" to explain the process of deliberately enacted social disorder and change as a road to power. To achieve a desired result, one deliberately creates a situation ("thesis,") devises a "solution," to solve the "problems" created by that situation ("antithesis,") with the final result being the ultimate goal of more power and control ("synthesis.")

Example 1: (9-11, thesis) (Blame the Muslims to get the US to go to war, antithesis) (Ultimate goal to neutralize Israel's Semite brothers and homeland security in the US to take away our rights, synthesis)

Example 2: (create frequent heinous shootings to upset the populous, thesis) (proposed solution, disarm America, antithesis) (goal, no more Constitution and the people are defenseless against further injustices. Here come the guillotines, synthesis)

• thnk4yrslf 2013/02/02 14:14:06
    Guns
    thnk4yrslf
    There is way to much Manufacturing of guns these days.
  • modurhead 2013/01/13 22:53:57
    Media
    modurhead
    they make it popular
  • ZenerSix 2013/01/10 21:18:29 (edited)
    Media
    ZenerSix
    I blame it mostly on bad parents, then on public schools, and then on the media.

It all begins with parents who don't know how to act proper. They set bad examples for their kids. They don't discipline their kids or teach them good morals.

It continues with public schools, where the same bad behavior patterns and bigotry gets passed on from each generation to the next, ensuring a constant supply of bad parents.

Only then is the media to blame for streaming all kinds of drama and hype and nonsense into these unenlightened minds.
  • Michaela★ 2013/01/10 20:36:05
    Media
    Michaela★
    the reason bad stuff is spoken so much about via the media is because those bad events are important because they bring up questions and pose answers to other questions that affect society directly. Bad things that happen won't be solved if ignored, this is no utopia world, if the media only focused on the good then we'd only be oblivious to the harsher parts of reality that have signifgance in ourife regardless of if they are focused on or not. Bad things cant be fixed if not spoken about... I do think they focus a lot on why a murder happens but the 'why' is what can help answer the question of what ca we do about these bad things that happen to try and lessen their occurrence?
  • Gahnzo 2013/01/10 19:49:22
    Media
    Gahnzo
    Ask anyone about the most recent shootings over the past several years and you'll find out that they know a significant amount of information about the shooters, where they lived, HOW they lived, what they were like at school, the enviromment they grew up in, EVERY aspect of their lives is splashed across televisions screens and video feeds, all across the social media 24-7 for days and days and days.. then if the assh**le actually gets to trial, it's on television 24-7. Why?...someone tell me why.. why does society think that by knowing all the aspects and intricacies of a persons life that they somehow will know WHY they killed, why they perpetrated a massacre....Guess what... YOU WILL NEVER KNOW..... nothing you ever find out about them will actually tell you why they did what they did. No one can get inside their head and really know why. Nor will knowing the answer prevent it from happening again. We say to each other.. "I don't get it.. I don't understand why".... well guess what.. I never want to know why.. I never want to understand why, I never want to "get it" as to something as sick and twisted as mass murder. For if you "get it" why.. you've got to have as sick and twisted a mind as the perpetrator.
    The media likes to say it's just reporting... no it's sensat...
    The media likes to say it's just reporting... no it's sensationalizing, it's glorifying murder and violence, it's throwing it out into the community saying.. WOW.. wait till you see what we have on our news tonight.. Think about all the teasers that news stations or crime shows use to get you to tune in... then ask yourself... who is responsible for increasing the level of crime in our country..When someone kills 3 people and is glorified in the media, some sick twisted person thinks.. I have to kill 5 or 10, and on it goes. I never knew a gun to actually kill someone all by itself. I can put a gun on a shelf and let it sit there for years.. no one will die.. UNTIL someone sick and twisted picks it up and does something with it. If not a gun, then a knife, or pipe, or bat, or car.. Over the thousands of years man has been on this earth man has been able to find incredibly ingenious ways to kill other people. It's just a shame that we have become so cavalier about it that we don't see how the media is perpetrating the glorification of horrendous acts. JMO
  • Dogzebra~PWCM~JLA 2013/01/10 19:09:55
    Media
    Dogzebra~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Each and every bad example of firearm safety rules, capability and usage is portrayed daily in the multi-faceted media.

Actors who rarely have any concept of proper firearm etiquette are the ones portraying hero Gangstas and evil law enforcement types, in full Technicolor, for your viewing pleasure.
  • fuzzy Ken "In G*d We Trust" 2013/01/10 18:46:38
    Media
    fuzzy Ken "In G*d We Trust"
    Actually, I think it's NEITHER.
    In the past 30 days we've had two people shoved in front of subway trains. The shovers have one thing in common with all the mass shooters:
    THEY WERE ALL MENTALLY ILL!!!!

Can we please start institutionalizing again? Relying on the mentally ill to take their meds when marginally supervised is not working out too well.
  • DizziNY fuzzy K... 2013/01/15 15:06:25
    DizziNY
    Ok so when the gov't deems you nuts because you say something the gov't doesn't like, then you will see the inside of an institution.
  • fuzzy K... DizziNY 2013/01/15 15:12:40
    fuzzy Ken "In G*d We Trust"
    The gov already has NDAA. They don't need to use mental hospitals to silence 'subversives'.

Back to the topic at hand. Relying on the mentally ill to take their meds when marginally supervised is not working out too well.
  • Bora Horza Gobuchul 2013/01/10 17:54:17
    Media
    Bora Horza Gobuchul
    +3
    My gun must be broken, because it's never killed anyone.
  • obama needs to go 2013/01/10 17:34:49
    Media
    obama needs to go
    +2
    If These nut jobs didn't get months of coverage the media, the left and Hollywood hippocrits blame the gun and not the sick freaks that exacuted these acts. And then Hollywood glorifies it even more by making movies about them. The solution from democRATs is always to attack law bidding citizens and the groups that fight for they're rights. Liberals want everyone to live in a rubber room.
  • JJ 2013/01/10 17:18:13
    Media
    JJ
    +1
    It isn't just the media, although they have had a hand in it by encouraging and promoting the idea that the bad guys are not so much the bad guys, but the public's to blame because they promote us having guns. THAT IS OUR RIGHT...to have guns for protection against the bad guys. We as a nation are to blame some what for our children and adult children killing, rape, stealing, abusing, etc, etc, and others in our families and outside our families. We, as God has told us, are to teach our children the ways off God and how to obey him. While there will always be bad guys around, perhaps not so many if we did as God has told us. Our morals have gone way down and many are promoting things that are against the laws of God and in the end those very things are going to destroy us unless we change and teach our children values, love, respect for others, etc.
  • LWS 2013/01/10 16:53:08
    Media
    LWS
    Anyone can learn just about anything from Movies and TV shows. From how to make a bomb (CSI, special news reports, etc) to how to get away with murder (First 48 hours) and those are just a few examples. CNN basically showed the world how the Syrian People were making bombs out of sugar.
  • Flowers 2013/01/10 15:52:33
    Media
    Flowers
    They pick and choose what they want to talk about. Instead of highlighting the GOOD things in our daily lives, and ENCOURAGING MORE PEOPLE TO DO THE SAME, they show all the terrible evils that go on and practically ignore the good deeds.
  • Silverlocust 2013/01/10 15:08:39
    Guns
    Silverlocust
    Ease of access to guns contributes more to gun violence than the media because;

If we compare the USA to similar western democracies in Europe (say Germany, UK, France, Sweden etc), we see that, while access to violent aspects of the media like movies, video games etc. is very similar in Europe, the gun violence is massively less.

So, if the violent media is seen as the 'control group', what is the variable?
    Well, there could be a number of cultural variables of course but by far the most obvious difference, the one that stands out like a ham sandwich at a Bar Mitzvah is the easy access of guns.
  • obama n... Silverl... 2013/01/10 17:42:35
    obama needs to go
    Look at the UK and other Europe countries murder by knives, blunt objects, and other things are much more then the US, so what's the real problem? The instruments or the people using them? Also in the UK, gun violence has increased by 40% because criminals don't get they're guns legally. Also they imprison citizens who protect they property, so for all you libs if that sounds good to you, then move to Europe cause I believe we fought a war here to not be a part of that.
  • Michaela★ obama n... 2013/01/10 20:26:20
    Michaela★
    I agree with you totally and completely. We had a discussion in my world.lit class about the whole gun thing and everyone was taking the liberal side, saying it's Americas fault we are such a more dangerous country then places like Europe and we should just ban guns completely... as if that would help? the murders are terrible things that happen and if someone really wants to kill, they will, one way or another. Guns are sold for people to protect themselves, states like TX have less crime because they have harsher consequences for law breakers and because guns aren't so frowned upon unless used the wrong way, more people have a gun hidden in their home for protection purpose in TX than states like Mass. which actually makes the place safer (though there are always exceptions). I think we could make the accessibility to guns more strict but banning them would not be a good move... if mass killers and sickos like that cant legally get guns, they will do what most of them do anyway... get them illegally. Most mass shooters get their gun via an illegal trade of some sort, not usually do they actually legally buy them from a store. I'm not the most informed person, I am only 15 and I know I don't know it all because I simply don't but.. I know enough to answer this question with my own opinion.
  • DizziNY Silverl... 2013/01/15 15:03:02 (edited)
    DizziNY
    Dude wake up, you can buy a gun with the serial numbers scratched off in the streets. NO amount of gun control will stop someone who wants a gun. Maybe we need to ban alcohol because it kills 50% more people than guns do.

Nazi Weapons Act of 1938 (Translated to English)

Classified guns for "sporting purposes".
    All citizens who wished to purchase firearms had to register with the Nazi officials and have a background check.
    Presumed German citizens were hostile and thereby exempted Nazis from the gun control law.
    Gave Nazis unrestricted power to decide what kinds of firearms could, or could not be owned by private persons.
    The types of ammunition that were legal were subject to control by bureaucrats.
    Juveniles under 18 years could not buy firearms and ammunition.
  • Bailey C 2013/01/10 15:08:27
    Guns
    Bailey C
    Common denominator of all shootings = guns.
  • Nathan ... Bailey C 2013/01/10 17:47:00
    Nathan Gallup
    +2
    common denominator of all murder = humans
  • obama n... Bailey C 2013/01/29 14:41:13 (edited)
    obama needs to go
    Another common donominator = people / prescription meds / bullying / gun free zones
  • ray 2013/01/10 13:08:22
    Media
    ray
    Popular Music ?
    Lyrics refrain : " all the other kids with the pumped up kicks better out run my gun , better outrun by bullet "

Poor misfits feeling sorry for themselves
    LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR

Then there is the Gangster rap
    Take some willpower to listen to this

The Movies , Games , Music would be powerless if children had Strong nuclear families and some sort of Religious foundation and society support .
  • Swordfish 2013/01/10 12:28:15
    Media
    Swordfish
    +2
    Crazy people!
    Adam Lanza's motive was to be remembered as a horrible, scary person; that's usually the drive for mass-murders like Sandy Hook. And guess what? He got what he wanted.
    Maybe if the media didn't show so much respect towards the killer or give out his name, others wouldn't be inspired to do the same.
  • Paul 2013/01/10 10:20:38
  • Alfred Knight 2013/01/10 09:09:42
    Media
    Alfred Knight
    Dick Clark is responsible for all deaths caused by guns.
  • abubincrazy 2013/01/10 05:46:57
    Media
    abubincrazy
    +2
    There is a glorification of the thug life in music, movies and video games.
  • Torr 2013/01/10 03:34:32
    Media
    Torr
    +2
    The media pants after these tragic stories, then gives them wall-to-wall coverage for weeks at a time. Are the Anchors at ABC, MSNBC, CNN, PBS, NBC and CBS so astronomically STUPID that they don't know that they are glorifying the nut jobs who go on shooting rampages? .........Oh wait. ........Consider that a rhetorical question, ok?

I've owned firearms since around 1958, and not a single one of them has ever decided to load themselves up or go out and murder anyone.

Idiots like Piers Morgan have convinced me that Network News Anchors and Reporters wouldn't recognize firearm logic or common sense if they jumped out from behind an AR-15 and slapped them all with a powder puff so hard it made them drop their sign.
  • phil.olding.3 2013/01/09 22:52:08
    Media
    phil.olding.3
    +4
    THERE IS NOTHING TO BLAME FOR PEOPLE GOING CRAZY AND KILLING EACH OTHER!

Maybe the media is what makes people think "Hey, I can go get on TV, and go out in style!"

But it's not the media's fault that gun violence happens!

Nor is it the fault of an inanimate object!

If me having a gun could be the one thing that saves me from someone else with a gun, why the HELL would you want to take my gun? What makes you think I'd be willing to give up my gun, knowing that?!
  • josh.bj... phil.ol... 2013/01/10 02:06:33
    josh.bjerke
    +9
    So when the bad guys get tanks, do you want one of those too? And then nukes? Arms races are never the answer.
  • Torr josh.bj... 2013/01/10 03:42:54
    Torr
    +2
    Kinda of a really silly question Josh, ...but in the one in a hundred quadrillion chance that your scenarios ever happened, the answer would be an emphatic "YES", of course! Phil could NOT be more correct in his last statements!

What would "your" solution be to your silly scenarios? ...Wave the white flag and embrace being murdered or enslaved?
  • josh.bj... Torr 2013/01/11 05:41:54
    josh.bjerke
    It's called the security dilemma Torr, and it's not silly in the least. In an arms race the rush to invent and develop ever more destructive weapons never really ends. It's a standoff with the ultimate threat of mutually assured destruction.

If everyone owned a gun out of fear of being attacked by someone with a gun (which is typically the primary argument used by pro-gun advocates to justify gun ownership) then everyone would continuously feel the need to get a better gun in order to have a better chance of survival. What do you think the bad guys would do in this scenario?

The solution is to systematically remove the means to perform mass violence. International survey data strongly supports this position. It's not about "waving the white flag," it's about keeping the violence potentially as low as possible.
  • Torr josh.bj... 2013/10/05 16:19:12
    Torr
    If we all thought like you, ...it would probably work. Unfortunately, leaders like Iran's former leader Ahmadinejad, could care less about a 'mutual destruction' scenario, any more than he cares about UN sanctions or world opinion.

Oh, ...and i've had the same self protection weapon for the past 40 years, and feel no need for getting a better one. ...And, i don't carry a concealed weapon to be able to "out gun" a bad guy ...i carry it to protect my family, property and self from threats. ...Including threats that aren't armed with conventional weapons.

I think you may be confusing the 2ond Ammendment argument that in order to protect ourselves from tyrannical government, we should not be prevented from owning the same types of weapon. ...That is a far different argument than having a CCW permit and carring a Glock .40.
  • phil.ol... josh.bj... 2013/01/10 04:06:49
    phil.olding.3
    +2
    Nuclear arms race: One country gets nukes, the other needs them. No one uses them. They become friends, and stop fighting with each other. That's how there's peace among nuclear armed countries.

Tanks: Bad guys can be seen coming from a mile away. Not a big problem. Explosives can take care of tanks, if you know what you're doing with them.

Sorry to say - the only answer to gun violence, is armed people, willing to stop people with guns. Taking guns in America is NOT possible.
  • josh.bj... phil.ol... 2013/01/11 05:48:56
    josh.bjerke
    You think "nuclear" peace is real peace? Fear of mutual destruction is not the basis of any kind of "peace" that I would trust to last. No country is a friend with any other country; there are allies and enemies, all of the relationships shifting based on the politics of the time.

The answer to gun violence is precisely what you claim is not possible, because it IS possible. Yes, it will take a lot of time, but if no more ammo was produced that would immediatly limit the value of any firearm, and if new civilian firearms were no longer produced guns would become a limited resource and eventually could be seized.

Violence to stop violence produces only one result: more violence.
  • phil.ol... josh.bj... 2013/01/11 11:43:01 (edited)
    phil.olding.3
    If nuclear weapons were never invented, and could not be made again, then a peace that does not involve nuclear weapons is possible.

However, the knowledge on how to make nuclear weapons is already out there, and nuclear weapons can be made again. Therefore, whoever has them, has power. Whoever doesn't have them, is at the mercy of whoever does - unless the people who have nuclear weapons agree not to use them, and agree to protect other people without them.

Same with guns. If someone was shooting at you, and you were unarmed, you would hope the armed police would get there as soon as possible to kill the person shooting at you. Police do not WANT to use their guns. Law abiding citizens do not WANT to use their guns. But crazy people, sometimes they just want to take as many people with them as possible when they kill themselves.

Violence - killing crazy people - to stop violence - crazy people committing mass murder - produces a stop of violence, until the next crazy person picks up a gun and decides to use it.

If you think getting an illegal gun is hard, or importing a gun is hard, or making a gun is hard, then you're an idiot. If you think it's possible to keep 100% of guns out of the hands of crazy people, you're an idiot.

If you think defending yourself, and your children, fro...

If you think defending yourself, and your children, from crazy people with guns, using words written on paper (laws), words written on signs (gun free zones), and using you good intentions - if you think that's going to work - then you're not only an idiot, you're an irresponsible parent and an idiot.
  • Nathan ... josh.bj... 2013/01/10 17:50:52
    Nathan Gallup
    than what is?
  • Michael S. 2013/01/09 22:15:07 (edited)
    Media
    Michael S.
    NEITHER. Both are scapegoats, and it sickens me that I have to pick one just to point that out.
  • Torr Michael S. 2013/01/10 03:45:24
    Torr
    ..........Scapegoats for our societal lack of commitment to institutionalizing crazy people?
  • phil.ol... Torr 2013/01/10 04:08:17
    phil.olding.3
    Or keeping criminals locked up in prison, and not releasing tens or hundreds of thousands of violent felons back into society, like what's happened in California recently?
  • DJPanicDC 2013/01/09 21:59:55
    Guns
    DJPanicDC
    +1
    actually I blame the failed mental health system, the fact is most of us see the media report ond something like sandyhook and are not motivated to repeat it

2014/07/26 05:10:11