Media Can Now Photograph Dead Soldiers: What do you think about the decision to let the media photograph the return of American casualties?

La Saria 2009/02/27 00:13:22
I like the Pentagon's idea
I do not like the Pentagon's idea
The Pentagon will now allow media to photograph the return of American military casualties from overseas as long the families of the deceased grant permission. Some groups protested the previous policy of banning media photographs, saying it allowed the government to hide the true cost of war. Others say allowing pictures will violate families' privacy. In the other hand, this will show what the Bush Administration was trying to hide. Showing images of flag-drapped coffins really isn't going to make much difference. While we want all the troops home, people tire of war, and it gets to the point that they really don't care anymore, and at the same time, they HAVE to go about their daily chores to keep from getting put out on the streets, especially in this economy. This is what naturally happens when wars drag on too long. Showing the flag-drapped coffins will just make people turn away from the war even more. It's really not a good idea. When is Obama bringing back the troops? And why the hell are we on Afghanistan now?

drag flag-drapped coffins people turn war obama bringing troops afghanistan

• SAM 2009/02/27 00:17:34
    I do not like the Pentagon's idea
    SAM
    +16
    Welcome to reality folks. It's dirty, it's nasty, and most don't want to accept it. You have the brass to elect someone that puts these soldiers in this position but yet you do not want to see the outcome. The old policy was government censorship plain and simple. The return of a fallen loved is a private family matter and in no way should the government ever have been allowed to make a private matter into policy. This decision now rests on the hands of the families. It is their choice if the soldiers will be honored publicly or in solitude as is their right as free Americans. The families are protected by privacy laws as well. This is a family matter and the families will have the last say and the families will take the course of action that THEY believe is the right one.

• rachel 2009/10/21 02:01:44
    I do not like the Pentagon's idea
    rachel
    i agree wit sam we all were so happy but now we are sad mad and disgusted
  • R.W. Walker 2009/03/18 17:24:16
    I like the Pentagon's idea
    R.W. Walker
    +1
    This is a good decision. I served two tours in Vietnam with the 25th Infantry Division so I know just how dirty, nasty and horrible war really is. The dead and wounded are the true cost of this war that should never have been started. It is time for Americans to see those caskets covered with a flag. That is the only thing that brings home what the cost of war really is.

R.W. Walker-San Antonio, TX
  • lucy 2009/03/18 00:06:41
    I do not like the Pentagon's idea
    lucy
    +1
    It is not a conservative idea for sure. Fewer lives have been lost in this war than in Chicago and other large cities or any war to date. Just another tactic to try and say and do something that is tasteless. If families wanted this situation, they would have ASKED for it collectively..a long time ago and it would have been granted. Did we do that in times of other..more devestating wars??? I think 9/11 put us in this war...(lot more to it than what is presented by the media)...and the media should practice real Journalism...it's nothing like what I studied. Many, many volunteered to go to war after that date. Thanks for the post La Saria
    practice real journalism studied volunteered war date post la saria
  • moderat... lucy 2009/03/27 01:13:30
    moderatemom
    Nope, 911 did not put us into this war. Iraq had NOTHING to do with 9/11, and there are videos on youtube where Bush and Cheney both state this-at the very end of their tenure. It was the far right media that backed up the Bush administration's early references to Iraq during the time after 9/11 that had most of Americans believing that Iraq was responsible. In fact, it has been revealed that journalist in national news papers actually took from the adminstration, payment for promoting that issue. The illegal invasion of Iraq had everything to do with oil, and gaining a foothold in the middle east to get control of oil. Iraq had nationalize its' oil, taking out the British and US oil companies, and had also threatened to demand payment for oil not in dollars but in Euros. In Project for a New American Century, a 90+page document written by some of those in the Bush administration and other conservatives in a right wing think tank before Bush was elected, the blue print for those actions was laid out.

Many families have requested their loved ones be treated with the long traditional respect of having the flag drapped coffins acknowledged in the press. They were denied by the Bush White House.

And if you want to discuss journalism, then you should be aware that over 80% of eve...''

And if you want to discuss journalism, then you should be aware that over 80% of everything we hear, see or read in this country is now controlled by 5 mega corporations- whose owners are huge contributors to the far right. It is within their control and right as owners to censor and edit what they deem should be released. That is not hardly the 'free press' as we knew it before monopoly laws were demolished.
  • new mexico PWCM~JLA 2009/03/16 05:18:55 (edited)
    I do not like the Pentagon's idea
    new mexico PWCM~JLA
    +1
    The media needs to stay out of the war period. It was a mistake that was made in the Vietman war and still continues today! If the media is to honor these great troops, our brothers and sisters, then lets' honor them in life first. What is the point of taking pictures of the caskets? If the media is so interested in our troops then let them have nightly segments interviewing and getting to know them! I personally don't feel it is to honor them, it is just another way to protest and get more dirt for higher ratings. I'm all for bringing our troops home right now,but I also understand that to move a force such as this is not an overnight process.Maybe we have learned not to occupy these terrorist countries after all. Sure we helped many good citizens but lost a lot of of our own, was it worth it? Ask some vets who are returning and by the way when you see them on the street or anywhere for that matter thank them!
  • Sodahead's Boring. 2009/03/07 16:34:42
    I like the Pentagon's idea
    Sodahead's Boring.
    "The Pentagon will now allow media to photograph the return of American military casualties from overseas as long the families of the deceased grant permission.

To me, that doesn't sound like they're violating the family's privacy. The family gave them permission to do it.

And I like the idea. It gives you an idea about what it's really costing us. Not some ridiculous number that you can't even begin to fathom, but someone.

A lot of someones. =(
  • lucy Sodahea... 2009/03/18 00:13:16
    lucy
    costing US?????? Look at what Obama is costin us....while the
    cost of those soldier's lives kept ungrateful people safe. Unfathomable
    is a good choice of words, but the ideas of what's costing is
    misplaced.
  • Sodahea... lucy 2009/03/18 02:49:20
    Sodahead's Boring.
    Yeah, costing us. Costing us family members, friends. My cousin, and uncle, for example. Money isn't everything.
  • lucy Sodahea... 2009/03/18 06:21:25
    lucy
    First of all, they weren't drafted, but the country being safe is
    everything. I've lost loved ones as well. They believe in what they are
    doing....Tell that to obama,Pelosi, Barney Frank, etc ...somebody needs
    to tell them. Sorry for your loss as well.
  • Sodahea... lucy 2009/03/18 18:38:03
    Sodahead's Boring.
    +1
    Thank you, and I'm sorry for yours.
  • lucy Sodahea... 2009/03/18 21:10:40
    lucy
    you bet! bet
  • peach 2009/03/06 23:52:55
    I do not like the Pentagon's idea
    peach
    +2
    Obama is just disrespecting our troops, AGAIN!
  • zack 2009/03/06 20:24:26
    I do not like the Pentagon's idea
    zack
    +1
    it should only be up so the families an no one else should have a say in it at all.
  • jellyfish 2009/03/05 19:43:10
    I do not like the Pentagon's idea
    jellyfish
    +1
    This is a horrible idea. These brave men and women fought for OUR freedom. Only their families should have a right to decide what is done with their remains, including photography. Would you like it if someone was splashing your dead parents, relatives or children in an effort to make money? Appalling!
  • Vampire mom 2009/03/05 15:14:14
    I like the Pentagon's idea
    Vampire mom
    What better way to salute the loyal and proud servicemen and women it only there coffins not there bodies .
  • Patriotic American 2009/03/03 16:40:48
    I like the Pentagon's idea
    Patriotic American
    Time to make this war REAL! Too many are out there going throgh life as if everything is A-OK, well IT IS NOT! Out of sight, out of mind! If the family of the soldiers killed in Bush's ILLEGAL war have no problem with it, then I don't think it is anyone's business other than the family!
  • Steve 2009/03/03 01:43:44
    I do not like the Pentagon's idea
    Steve
    +1
    These men and women fought with dignity so we should allow them the dignity they deserve.
  • littlebuffalo55TBA 2009/03/02 23:23:16 (edited)
    I do not like the Pentagon's idea
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    +1
    Ok......What is the point of this? Please let the Families of those fallen on the field of battle mourn as they choose! More people who do not understand that wars have been on the planet since civilizations started? I fail to see what "The Bush Administration tried to Hide"? Numerous times I have seen video of a US military vehicle being blown-up! Are we as Americans so numb as to think no-one we may know is in one? All I see in this question is more denial of what war truly is! It's mankinds greatest horror! But the fact is no one American Administration invented it and as can be clearly seen the New Administration is also faced with it! My best bet is the one after that will be too! Every Administration at least since the 1940s has felt the stain of US Soldiers blood on their hands! Some of it justly some of it not! This is the reality we are in and it will take much more than any US Administration to end! Uh "Why are We in Afghanistan NOW"? Lol......obviously I do not get the point here! But it appears I am not the only one! Tarawa Beach 1943:

justly reality administration uh afghanistan lol appears tarawa beach 1943

Pictures showing the cost of Our Nations Blood in war are not new and not overtly hidden by any Administration! How we as citizens choose to see obviously is another story!
  • cosmice... littleb... 2009/03/05 06:15:14
    cosmiceyes versus Marxist sock puppets!
    +4
    Bush did not try to hide. He chose to Honor the fallen Heroes. The media needs to make money in commercializing something they have no way earned the right to do. A Very cheap play by Barry. He gave our nations Heroes as toys in payback for his glorified election.
  • Britt: In Pixie Dust We Trust 2009/03/02 22:41:23
    I like the Pentagon's idea
    Britt: In Pixie Dust We Trust
    +2
    It is at the descrepancy of the family... I didn't see that mentioned in the description. I agree with the decision. It is not distasteful to show that there are lives that have been layed down in order to continue our way of life. We need to see the cost of freedom. It's not showing bodies or names, just showing that we need to be grateful. I would be proud to allow one of my family members be recognized for their sacrifice for this great nation. I also hope that the image will be a reminder of the severity of war and how important it is to go in with just cause. The cost is too high and human life should never be lost in vein.
  • FluxRostrum 2009/03/02 21:11:02
    I like the Pentagon's idea
    FluxRostrum
  • cosmiceyes versus Marxist s... 2009/03/02 20:26:37
    I do not like the Pentagon's idea
    cosmiceyes versus Marxist sock puppets!
    +4
    My thoughts flood my brain over this issue.
    The Pentagon is only following orders.The media arm of the power now in control of America have wanted this.Line all the Honorable dead up like vegetables to further the nutty media's desire for a story of propaganda. How Honor is not present in the media or this administration as they use these Heroes in their maligned way.The fallen Hero not being allowed now to represent themselves.
    Where is the Hero's Honorable words or thoughts now. These people volunteered to to make a difference for the world.
    Does making Obama a popular star now get some payback for the movie star coverage? The media is now given the right to dis-honor these fallen Heroes who cannot speak out against this misuse! All I see is pictures for the new lies in this event. Heroes to be lined up like cord wood to further a cause who they are silenced to speak against.
  • Lurch cosmice... 2009/03/03 19:28:49
    Lurch
    I read a term by someone recently that really stuck in my head; in an enlightening yet disturbing way.

Military-entertainment complex

Have you seen the war games our tax dollars now go to produce for kids to play online?
    http://www.goarmy.com/downloa...

Indoctrinate them early.

The reason the past administration wanted to hide the dead and forget the wounded (as evidenced by the admin/Republicans in Congress like McCain voting against VA funding five times), is because they do not want Americans to see the real price for their misdeeds and lies. The Bush admin did everything in its power to avoid taking any responsibility for its words and actions, or lack thereof.

All those families who wanted the rest of the nation to share their pain, to see their pain, and to honor their sacrifice were robbed of that before.

It is about time America starts showing the respect these fallen soldiers are due.
  • cosmice... Lurch 2009/03/04 00:47:43
    cosmiceyes versus Marxist sock puppets!
    +4
    You don't Honestly remember the attacks on the military families during their funerals by anti war nut cases that started this? How very convenient! Someone without the cost of loss involving themselves.
  • Lurch cosmice... 2009/03/04 01:46:02
    Lurch
    you mean the religious rw nuttos?

religious rw nuttos
  • cosmice... Lurch 2009/03/04 01:49:40 (edited)
    cosmiceyes versus Marxist sock puppets!
    +4
    I see you can't keep to point of my conversation.Try again later in your life. :)'s
  • Lurch cosmice... 2009/03/04 01:52:24
    Lurch
    +2
    um, these are the folks you brought up, the ones who attacked the families of fallen soldiers at their funerals.
  • cosmice... Lurch 2009/03/04 02:29:25
    cosmiceyes versus Marxist sock puppets!
    +4
    Then my mistake.I listen to the radio so the picture I believed to be a attack on me as to my Christian beliefs.I beg your pardon. :)'s
  • Lurch cosmice... 2009/03/05 00:02:17
    Lurch
    +1
    Hey, it`s easy to misinterpret or misunderstand. Not like I have not done the same 1,000 times.

I think we all base our debates and arguments on here and in real life based on our own observations. It is not that my observations are right and yours are wrong, not at all. It is that they are different and we can and should come together and share our observations to mutually benefit from our individual experiences. Anyway, that is my goal on here. Oh, and I have to say that I have learned much more thanks to my opposites on the political spectrum than those on my own side of the political spectrum. So thank you for helping me open my head and fill it with more stuff!
  • cosmice... Lurch 2009/03/05 06:07:00
    cosmiceyes versus Marxist sock puppets!
    +3
    Your welcome.
  • moderat... cosmice... 2009/03/27 01:47:58
    moderatemom
    The pictures are disrespectful people at funerals. If your Christian beliefs are harmed by those who do this, so are mine as a Christian. Not once in His ministry did Jesus mention homosexuals, who were very prevelent in his day. The only Biblical reference I have gotten from those who use the Bible to be against it is in the chapter of Leviticus- and it doesn't even mention homosexuals- and no one could comply with all the restrictions we are supposedly to live by in Leviticus!
  • cosmice... moderat... 2009/03/27 02:31:51
    cosmiceyes versus Marxist sock puppets!
    Try Romans. It is full of what God has to say on the subject.
  • moderat... cosmice... 2009/04/03 02:48:42
    moderatemom
    +1
    No, it's what men had to say on the subject. The Bible, both in hand made copies through the centuries and also by not only censorship (Constantinople left out at least 5 books) but by misinterpreting from one language to another or just plain copy mistakes it was passed down very distorted in cases. Then take into consideration how various religions inserted their own viewpoints in doctrine through the centuries and that is what we have ended up with for a Bible. For that reason, the common people were not allowed to even have their own Bibles for many years. When the printing press was invented, it was still outlawed in many countries. Bibles were printed in the few countries that allowed it, and those Bibles were then smuggled into countries where privately owned Bibles were disallowed.. and those in power in churches were very angry and much against this. Once people could read for themselves, they often discovered what they were told from the pulpit was very different from what they were reading. So the Bible was printed according to various church doctrines until the King James Bible became the 'official' Bible. And even that had many, many errors when compared to original ancient text and the historical situations the events in the Bible were set in and the language of that day.
  • cosmice... moderat... 2009/04/16 06:52:14
    cosmiceyes versus Marxist sock puppets!
    Make up what you need.It will not bother me. :)'s
  • cosmice... Lurch 2009/03/04 02:33:05
    cosmiceyes versus Marxist sock puppets!
    +4
    I still do not see where the media's desire to commercialize their deaths is anything,but making toys of their images.
  • Lurch cosmice... 2009/03/05 00:04:02
    Lurch
    +1
    I think some of the families felt insulted that the administration would not allow their fallen loved ones to be photographed and broadcast. Some, not all. I have heard of others that feel the same as you.
  • moderat... cosmice... 2009/03/27 01:49:04
    moderatemom
    Your problem is that you see the flag draped coffins as commercialization rather than honoring the fallen. I find that odd.
  • cosmice... moderat... 2009/03/27 02:40:05
    cosmiceyes versus Marxist sock puppets!
    You have not fought in a war! What you find odd about me is called "Honoring" the Heroes. That you find my honor odd is self explanatory!
  • moderat... cosmice... 2009/04/03 02:28:34
    moderatemom
    No, but I was married to a Navy Lt.jg and stationed on a Marine base for several years as well as other bases. Some of the first guys sent to 'Nam as 'observers' were from that base. Some did not come home. They were honored with flag drapped coffins as it was not disalowed then, and believe me, they were honored.
  • moderat... cosmice... 2009/04/03 02:38:09
    moderatemom
    And by the way, what is it with the skull embossed with the American flag??......that's a pretty dismal message and image for America ! Is death all America stands for in your mind?

2014/12/22 00:02:36