Mayor Rahm Emanuel on Monday ordered city pension funds to divest from any company that manufactures or sells assault weapons. Do you agree or disagree with Rahm?

Drue-AFCL 2013/01/29 19:12:54

“We cannot support or invest in companies that profit from the proliferation of
assault weapons and the violence these guns bring to our communities,” Emanuel
said.
The mayor said city Comptroller Amer Ahmad will request a portfolio
analysis from all five city pension and retirement funds to determine if fund
managers have invested in gun manufacturers.
It's the first step, he said,
toward removing such companies from investment plans.

“If our fund
managers have invested in a company that manufactures or sells assault weapons,
I will ask them to remove these investments from our retirement funds,” he said.

The major funds include the Fireman’s Annuity & Benefit Fund of Chicago,
the Laborers’ & Retirement Board Employees’ Annuity and Benefit Fund of
Chicago, Municipal Employees’ Annuity & Benefit Fund of Chicago, Policeman’s
Annuity & Benefit Fund of Chicago and the City of Chicago Deferred
Compensation Plan.

Emanuel's office said the funds contain more than
$13.5 billion in assets.
A resolution will be introduced to the City Council
this week by the mayor and Ald. Will Burns (4th).
“Just as these weapons
have no place in our communities, these companies have no place in the
retirement planning for our employees,” Burns said. “The damage caused by these
weapons is far greater than any return on investment.”

• Don 2013/01/29 19:46:00
    Agree
    Don
    +6
    I agree with the gun companies - I wouldn't want those Chicago Thugs owning a peice of my business.

• CWOO10 - PWCM 2013/02/03 20:25:33
    Agree
    CWOO10 - PWCM
    +1
    He should take that money and invest it in those green energy companies he was so hot on, I'm sure he could get them at a nice discount. Chicago could go bankrupt with them!

I like to refer to him as CD ROM (CD is code for Cheese Dick)
  • William Gill~PWCM~JLA 2013/01/31 22:21:40
    Agree
    William Gill~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Why should they be allowed to profit from guns when they deny their citizens the right to own those guns to defend their homes and families with them.
  • patrick.bonacoscia 2013/01/31 10:34:02
    Agree
    patrick.bonacoscia
    +1
    Agree but he cares more about avoiding legal issues
  • SemperRick 2013/01/31 03:42:11
    Disagree
    SemperRick
    +1
    Rahm is a little twerp who I would love to meet on the street someday. That little lefty Jewish boy is a disgrace to every Jew that spent even one second in a concentration camp. Does that little fudge packer even know who Hitler and the Brown Shirts were and what they did to the Jews? It started off by taking the guns away from the law abiding citizens. A person with a gun is a citizen, a person without a gun is a subject. Now if somebody told me they would rather be a subject, then they deserve what they get, but this is America and that ain't how America works there Little Rahme. I bet your dead roasted ancestors are proud of ya. By the way I come from a deep Jewish heritage that goes way back. So I feel I am entitled to give Rahm the SHEET that he desrves.
  • Rosy 2013/01/31 03:06:17 (edited)
    Disagree
    Rosy
    +1
    Firearm owners are only going to dig in deeper against stupid mayors like Rahm. Chicago has the highest murder rate in the nation; (none of these crimes committed by law-abiding gun owning citizens, of course), and the city needs all the cash it can get! With the JACKASSCRATS running Chicago and the entire state for 4 decades, I can see why Illinoisians are having so much trouble with their, um, elected legislature. The state's income tax rate is supposed to go back down to 3%, something to see to actually believe.
    Agree
    +1
    I actually disagree with him, he's an idiot.
  • silentart 2013/01/30 21:54:09
    Disagree
    silentart
    +1
    Who is he to decide for people on investments... his next ban on kitchen knife or cars investment?
  • DeeB 2013/01/30 13:40:49
    Disagree
    DeeB
    +2
    That freak needs to be deported to Israel where they are all armed. Here we are in a depression with so many millions out of work and this psychopathic dual citizen is trying to put more people in the unemployment line. He needs to stand in that line and then open his ugly ass mouth.
  • Callaway 2013/01/30 12:10:10
    Disagree
    Callaway
    +2
    I disagree with the little wannabe Chitown Dictator on nearly everything why would this be different. Just a silly made for TV mandate so typical of his grandiose proclamations I'm only surprised he hasn't hired a trumpet quartet to announcement his arrivals, departures and royal decrees.
  • jmc07806-PWCM-JLA 2013/01/30 12:08:16
    Disagree
    jmc07806-PWCM-JLA
    +2
    It was a political bully action.
  • phil.olding.3 2013/01/30 10:27:19
    Disagree
    phil.olding.3
    +1
    Any weapon that can assault people is an "assault weapon".

New York banned a bunch of guns, but 7-round magazines are still allowed. I can still go buy a 1911, some ammo, and as many magazines as I need, if I live in New York.

I assure you - a Colt 1911 (originally made in the year 1911, barely updated since) would work JUST FINE to do a mass shooting!

All weapons that can assault people are assault weapons! All weapons that can assault people are ARMS!

Boycotting gun manufacturers is like boycotting media outlets of any kind for exercising their right to free speech!
  • gary 2013/01/30 10:09:40
  • Catnip 2013/01/30 09:20:57
    Disagree
    Catnip
    +2
    The more he disarms the citizens, the more he arms the thugs.
  • Cat 2013/01/30 06:48:41
    Disagree
    Cat
    +2
    No! He should give one to every honest law-abiding resident of Chicago with instructions to "shoot down anyone seen committing a crime". I bet the Chicago crime rate would drop real fast.
  • Phyllis Murphy 2013/01/30 03:04:26
    Agree
    Phyllis Murphy
    +1
    How can Obama think of sending planes, tanks and billion dollars of tax payers money to Morsi? This guy a murderous dictator.
  • jon 2013/01/30 02:59:19
    Agree
    jon
    Works for me I will buy those discounted stocks !!! But I will bet it will make no difference to the company's that are divested except he will be buying them himself through some sleazy ass cut rate deal for him self.
  • Wyveryx 2013/01/30 02:42:30
  • RJeffreySavlov 2013/01/30 02:40:58
    Disagree
    RJeffreySavlov
    +1
    They are the only ones making money these days. Typical liberal moron.
  • Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA 2013/01/30 02:33:34
    Disagree
    Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Mayor Rahm: “The damage caused by these weapons is far greater than any return on investment.”

Of course he didn't produce any data that supports his claim of what "these weapons" cost in damage. What might turn up are the BENEFITS that having a deterrent to criminal attack of your home or property, just as the real assault weapons provide a deterrent to our nation's enemies.

Of course the obvious alternative for a city employee would be to have that worker's pension funds rolled over into an IRA and move those assets in a fund where the objective is WEALTH ACCRUAL, instead of political pandering and self-aggrandizement on the part of a mayor that can direct how a worker's retirement funds are invested.

If someone has the ability to direct YOUR ASSETS a way that provides you with an objective that is different from YOUR objectives, you need to move your money out of the hands of that person. What he is proposing is nothing different from outright THEFT of your earnings. If a legal business provides you with a good return, a good dividend and reliable asset growth, why would you want to put your LONG TERM GOALS OF RETIREMENT in jeopardy to placate some TEMPORARY ELECTED OFFICE HOLDER?

It used to be that we hung thieves... I guess today we elect them to high public office.
  • Frank 2013/01/30 02:23:47
    Disagree
    Frank
    +1
    Just look at his name and that should tell you who and what he is......
  • evangelism_vision 2013/01/30 01:40:04
    Disagree
    evangelism_vision
    +1
    A crook, a Thug and a Political Terrorist like the So Called Commander in crime
  • Jim 2013/01/30 01:26:00
    Disagree
    Jim
    +1
    Another crook in office. Only his thugs have guns.
  • marcuss LIBERALS ARE TRAITORS 2013/01/30 01:06:42
    Agree
    marcuss LIBERALS ARE TRAITORS
    +1
    All of the money invested should inturn be invested in the USPS. Everything else the democrats invests in is a loser so why break the cycle of idiocy.
  • libertybelle 2013/01/30 01:01:28
    Disagree
    libertybelle
    +1
    If I lived in Illinois..well..I wouldn't for much longer...one of these days...it will be a police state.
  • Space Invader 2013/01/30 00:41:45
    Disagree
    Space Invader
    +2
    orders from Daddy; Rhambo?
  • joe keeney 2013/01/30 00:09:30
    Agree
    joe keeney
    +1
    Put in all in green energy smart investment just like Obama lose it all.
  • Gregaj7 2013/01/30 00:08:19
    Disagree
    +3
    Rahm is beyond a POS. Since he is a protected member of the NWO, working for Rothschild, sending him somewhere completely appropriate (Lake of Fire) isn't an available part of the current equation.
  • HooCares 2013/01/29 23:49:31
  • BILL 2013/01/29 23:39:44
  • donisue 2013/01/29 22:16:42
    Disagree
    donisue
    +1
    Rahm Emanuel is the biggest corrupt idiot, just another freaking dumb Liberal loser.
  • T Bevan 2013/01/29 21:59:48
    Disagree
    T Bevan
    +1
    When was the "Obaama child" voted the ""Funds" manager"?

Looks like any ammo or gun manufacturers should pull out of Chi Town....
  • pjobrien 2013/01/29 21:47:13
    Disagree
    pjobrien
    +1
    I am getting weary of these knucklheads.
  • Elaine Magliacane 2013/01/29 21:37:28
    Agree
    Elaine Magliacane
    +2
    He wants to have his city employees pension plans LOSE out on the BOOM in gun sales that Obama has caused... then I think the people of Chicago DESERVE to LOSE THAT MONEY.
  • JCD aka "biz" 2013/01/29 21:34:37
    Agree
    JCD aka "biz"
    +1
    Not investing money in specific firms is not coercion. It's freedom of choice.
  • Jackie ... JCD aka... 2013/01/29 22:14:51
    +1
    But telling the firms that they have to make changes (as he did) or lose business is. And coercion. Government officials may not use the power of the office to coerce

Coercion (pron.: /koʊˈɜrʃən/) is the practice of forcing another party to act in an involuntary manner (whether through action or inaction) by use of threats or intimidation or some other form of pressure or force. In law, coercion is codified as the duress crime.
  • Adakin ... JCD aka... 2013/01/30 02:40:19
    Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    JCD, is it that "freedom of choice" being made on reasoning with the objective of providing the pensioner with a nice retirement? Or is it based upon some other totally unrelated POLITICAL objective that cannot be supported by rational statistical data?

You are right though. Ultimately, the worker has the choice of either leaving their assets within the City's pension fund, or moving it over into an IRA and shifting those assets into a fund who's objective is closer to the objective of the worker who wants wealth accrual instead of political grandstanding.
  • JCD aka... Adakin ... 2013/01/30 17:33:46
    JCD aka "biz"
    +1
    Thank you for your informative reply.
  • Adakin ... JCD aka... 2013/01/31 01:07:55 (edited)
    Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA
    JCD, had I been a Chicago city employee with my retirement money invested in their pension fund, I would examine the prospectus of the fund and see if their investment objectives allow for politically motivated goals instead of purely financially sound investment judgment. If there is no such provision to allow political posturing with MY MONEY... I would think there would be grounds for a fiduciary breach of trust on the part of the mayor and the fund managers IF they bow down to the demands of this "temporary" city employee that just happens to have a POLITICAL agenda that is far different from MY RETIREMENT agenda.

Not only would my assets be shifted elsewhere, but my attorney would be examining the pension fund documents to see if what the mayor is demanding is in the best interest of the actual OWNERS of the money in those funds.
  • JCD aka... Adakin ... 2013/01/31 13:22:43
    JCD aka "biz"
    +1
    Thank you.
  • gregory.brown.5030 2013/01/29 21:00:11
    Disagree
    gregory.brown.5030
    +2
    I thought that they were already insolvent.

2014/07/25 11:28:48