Marriage Rates in Steep Decline: Is Marriage Outdated?

We've heard a lot of Hollywood celebs dismiss marriage as irrelevant or unimportant lately, from Johnny Depp to Cameron Diaz to the still-unwedded Brangelina. But the Pew Research Institute noticed an interesting trend in the U.S. Census data. They found declining marriage rates across the board, higher marrying ages, and indications that rates are still going down.

In 1960, 72 percent of adults (over the age of 18) were married. According to Pew, that number today is 51 percent, and five percent of that drop occurred between 2009 and 2010. Marriage rates declined even more for young adults. In 1960, 59 percent of people between the ages of 18 and 29 were married; today, it's only 20 percet. The average marrying age is 26.5 for women and 28.7 for men, compared to 20.3 and 22.8 in 1960.

+35
    Marriage will never be outdated. People are just less committed and that is obvious in practically every walk of life. Marriage is to be a stable environment in which to raise the fruit of the womb. Children need a male and female influence in order to be well rounded and both parents need to be responsible and a contributor to the family. That is sadly lacking in many homes today and the results are equally sad.

• Ang 2014/06/29 04:46:49
    Ang
    no people just don't have any morals anymore!!
  • Freddy Mason 2013/01/13 09:03:22
    Freddy Mason
    +1
    But I'm gay so where does that leave me in the Nolan scheme?
  • Devyne Luve 2012/01/27 23:38:16
    Devyne Luve
    Nooook!
  • Beccy 2012/01/21 02:05:43
    I think with the hard economic times we will find marriage makes a comeback
  • Allen911 2012/01/14 22:07:31
    Allen911
    +1
    It is not the marriage thats out of date its the MORALS in this country that have declined! Take me back to the 50's!
  • Shad 2012/01/10 18:18:19
    Shad
    +1
    No, my science teacher( who's a guy) says that it has a lot to do with women being more educated, wanting carriers, and not wanting to have a family that cold potentially ruin it. I think it works both ways.
  • Teresa 2012/01/08 22:24:57
    Teresa
    I think marriage is important when there are children involved. Other than that, I think that two individuals can live together, and/or enter their own contractual arrangements as far as property sharing, etc. God can ALWAYS be a part of two individuals, we don't need the State to approve. Just my opinion. As far as children are concerned, I think marriage, devotion, love, is EXTREMELY important and the concept of marriage adds some stability to families (hopefully)
  • XRenX 2012/01/07 02:51:00
    XRenX
    +2
    Never. There will ALWAYS be people who still want to get married. These days people are i a hurry and want things fast and easy without marriage. For various reasons they also just think commitment is such an ugly word.

The key words with my generation are SELFISHNESS and IMPATIENCE. They want what ever is convenient for them, not love no never. It saddens me even though I don't know these people. I just don't like when people abuse marriage and sex like they are worthless or just activities of leisure.
  • edifyguy XRenX 2012/01/08 03:58:38
    edifyguy
    +1
    You are so amazing.......*checks list of eligible males*
  • XRenX edifyguy 2012/01/08 20:23:22
  • XRenX edifyguy 2012/01/09 00:33:51
    XRenX
    +2
    btw, marriage isn't boring like many try to claim, Assuming ppl don't let it get boring. I mean even after the newly wed "phase", there's still that fun spark right?
  • edifyguy XRenX 2012/01/10 15:18:46
    edifyguy
    +1
    Ohhhhhhhh yes. It's all in how you approach it.
  • XRenX edifyguy 2012/01/10 17:20:54
    XRenX
    +1
    Glad to hear it =]
  • indabonitz 2012/01/06 22:33:36
    indabonitz
    Marriage is not a contract between two people. It is a contract between three parties: The state, two individuals. The problem with the marriage institution is that not all parties are equal in the contract. The state continuously changes the laws regarding marriage and most of the changes favor women. A man getting married will get legally screwed in the event of a divorce. Why would any man engage in a contract in which he is the weakest party in the contract?
  • The Bee... indabonitz 2012/05/23 01:37:59
    The Bee Guy
    But then a marriage is about "submission" WAIT! Submission has three common uses. The first SHOULD BE, to submit into the "CARE OF" the other party. If a wife submits herself into the care of her husband, she lays all of her needs on HIS shoulders.He then has no choice but to lead in his authority to protect their relationship, and this pushes him to use his WILL for their mutual happiness. Unfortunately we have rejected the Biblical thought of submission, Mostly because a few abusive types who misunderstood the use of the word "submit", preached a wrong message on this lovely thought. What woman would not want a Husband to care for "them" both like that?
  • tyra 2012/01/04 17:29:14
    tyra
    +1
    to some people marriage is a contract to some a union of two people who love each other but you know what who said that marriage is outdated just because some people don't get married may even mean they are scared of commitment not the other way around when they say it is irrelevant or unimportant cause the the truth is they just hate marriage!!!
  • JLSinDE 2012/01/04 02:11:15
    JLSinDE
    I have found, that marriage was a useful contract between two people when both parties could not stand on their own. It possibly still is when one relies on the other for monetary security. I don't understand why people still feel a need to get married. There is nothing that says an unmarried couple has just a strong, if not stronger relationship than a married one. Society still puts women second to men and there is still a strong, old world value on marriage. I think marriage is just a little weird.
  • Zach Tool 2012/01/03 19:29:57
    Zach Tool
    now that the gays dont have to hide and pretend - let them join in - and your stats will rise.
  • TPietro 2012/01/01 09:26:45
    TPietro
    +1
    Not outdated its just the standards of marriage has changed and people are waiting longer to make the commitment
  • lm1b2 2011/12/30 19:05:06
    lm1b2
    It is a legal commitment ,a contract between two people who love each other who want to spend the rest of their lives togather, and raise a family.Anythiong else just benefits the man,don't kid yourself.
  • sapphire_love_life 2011/12/29 07:07:02
    sapphire_love_life
    No.. just..no
  • Cain2012~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2011/12/28 08:07:37
  • stevie.luplow 2011/12/27 01:24:14
    stevie.luplow
    +1
    Marriage isn't outdated, people just rush too much or are too scared of true commitment.
  • Cain201... stevie.... 2011/12/28 08:02:59
  • 2Azhun4U 2011/12/25 22:14:19
    2Azhun4U
    Outdated isn't the right word. People are just getting more education for longer periods of time. I also think that laws being imposed on marriages make it a bit fussy now to get married, what with possible divorce papers and shared taxes, etc. Its just the way society has structured itself now, no need to be alarmed about people not getting married.
  • Mark Shoffner 2011/12/25 18:00:30
    Mark Shoffner
    +1
    almost 12 years and loving it
  • Starr 2011/12/25 06:38:39
    Starr
    But I think it's over rated.
  • stevie.... Starr 2011/12/27 01:26:04
    stevie.luplow
    I think they should've put "over rated" instead of "out dated"...personally, I feel it's the same thing...

Though the true issue is that people don't want to commit to anything real "just in case"
  • Ira 2011/12/24 23:28:30
    Ira
    Outdated may be an inappropriate choice. It may be in decline and there are reasons for this.

Marriage creates legal consequences beyond the love two people might have shared early on and motivating them to marry. Those legal conequences can be costly to exercise. Still, for many, it may be worth it to not be in the perpetual company of someone you no longer care for. But the principle for why people got married back in the day has changed significantly so it may be indeed, outmoded. "For example, for the most of Western history, marriage was not a mere personal matter concerning only husband and wife, but rather the business of their two families which brought them together. Most marriages, therefore, were arranged. Moreover, the wife usually had much fewer rights than her husband and was expected to be subservient to him. To a considerable extent, marriage was also an economic arrangement. There was little room for romantic love, and even simple affection was not considered essential. Procreation and cooperation were the main marital duties." http://www2.hu-berlin.de/sexo...

Intresting how thing s have changed, thus making the way marriage was viewed way back when outdated by today's standards.

I think I may have better answered, Yes.

httpwww2 hu-berlin desexo intresting changed marriage viewed outdated standards answered
    just those who were believers in Jesus Christ
  • ghosiejackson 2011/12/23 09:00:24
    ghosiejackson
    why not?? i don't believe in marriage. yeah, in most of the chinese's opinion, money can be the most realistic. i hate that but i'm in them. LIFE'S HARD, RIGHT??
  • Earthly Resident 2011/12/23 06:51:33
    Earthly Resident
    has been outdated for far too long
  • Eccles 2011/12/22 04:55:04
    Eccles
    The irreverent view of marriage and the contempt it is shown by some trying to score political points and get their views across.
    Is an indication of the erosion of standards and principals that will eventually lead to the the destruction of society as we know it IMO.
  • William Day 2011/12/21 23:31:17
    William Day
    But I will get married because it will make my love happy.
  • Sandy 2011/12/21 21:24:47
    Sandy
    But people aren't capable of making it work any more... they are mostly just really self centered...
  • moorrbrt1 "In God we Trust" 2011/12/21 21:20:43
    moorrbrt1 "In God we Trust"
    +1
    Perhaps people are just being smarter and not marrying because someone got a woodie.
  • realityjunkie 2011/12/21 20:22:44
    realityjunkie
    +1
    Young adults are just waiting longer. They are educating themselves, finding their career path, and saving some money. More people are also choosing to live together to save money.
  • Insane in the membrane 2011/12/21 19:44:20
    Insane in the membrane
    It's not 'outdated' if people still want to be married.
    But I, myself, will never marry. Love doesn't last.
  • reality... Insane ... 2011/12/21 20:23:19
    realityjunkie
    +1
    You are young. Love does last. I promise.
  • Insane ... reality... 2011/12/21 20:39:27
    Insane in the membrane
    Then why did my parents go from being in love to having absolute hatred for each other??

2014/10/26 05:47:25