Mandatory Voting. If You Don't Vote, You Pay A Fine. What Do You Think?

Bob™ the Union Ironworker 2010/04/29 14:49:58
I just read an article in the Denver Post where the residents of Ridgway, CO may soon be voting on a measure to make voting in the town mandatory. Resident Tom Hennessy, a local bar owner,
would like to make the small town a national model by enacting a mandatory-voting statute. If you don't vote you better have good reason or you are going to pay a fine. The town council has decided to put it on the ballot.
What do you think? I kind of like the idea but not voting could be considered an act of protest and protected as free speech by the First Amendment. They plan to avoid this by adding none of the above. One thing I know is it is worrysome that only 67% of Americans voted in 2008 election for President. So that means that 33% have no right to complain now. Click the link below to read more on the subject. BTW there are over 30 countries that already require voter participation of all citizens.

Read More: http://www.denverpost.com/ci_14958536

• keeper 2010/04/29 23:31:06
    keeper
    +53
    I feel voting in America is a Right, not a Duty. But I do encourage all people to vote for whatever they believe in.

• bianca 2011/06/13 11:23:12
    bianca
    +3
    its a waste of time cause some people get forced to vote because they would get fined
  • vanessa 2011/01/06 14:43:48
  • countchristo 2010/11/01 11:52:31 (edited)
    countchristo
    I think this is a great idea. They do it in Australia - all elections - the fine is $30, not a big deal. The people saying it's "unconstitutional" LOL, tell me where. What's unconstitutional is people winning elections without a majority of the people voting. The government is creating policy that the majority of the people are against--that's not democracy at all.
  • steph ♥ 2010/05/04 03:43:08
    steph ♥
    I'm going to assume this only for local elections. I think kind of in the middle on this one. I don't like the idea of mandatory "anything" by the government, but I also see a problem with voter turn out in local elections, even the county I live in. I'd prefer to see more of a non-partisan push for community awareness of the candidates! We all know how that went with Acorn though. This is a tough one - by default - I'd have to say I'm against the mandatory vote.
  • kmay 2010/05/03 20:44:10 (edited)
    kmay
    +1
    Forced voting is rediculous and unconstitutional.
  • Boo 2010/05/03 20:15:06
    Boo
    +2
    Sounds like something a "union" would come up with. Voting is a right. Responsible citizens should feel it a duty to vote, but the government at any level should not impose upon citizens to have to vote in every election. Next they would be pressuring people how to vote, as we know unions already do.

I have always said, "If you don't vote, you have no right to complain."
  • Bob™ th... Boo 2010/05/04 14:36:48
    Bob™ the Union Ironworker
    You had to take an innocent question and try to insult me. Yes I blocked you
  • vannuck 2010/05/03 20:01:57
    vannuck
    thats bull crap if you chose to vote then vote if not then dont....people have the right not to vote as much as they have the right to do
  • p31woman 2010/05/03 17:37:32
    p31woman
    +1
    I agree, if you're able to vote and you don't have a right to complain.
  • Viradys 2010/05/03 16:48:00
    Viradys
    Riiiiiiight....and how are we going to have an 'accurate' opinion of the voters when people will vote just so they don't have to pay a fine?
  • Alex 2010/05/03 13:05:31
    Alex
    Haha no right to complain? ok so you are saying its ok to hurt people if they dont participate in your charade called voting? how does that work? mandatory voting sounds like something from Soviet Russia. Voting in America is statistically insignificant by the way.
  • Joeeey 2010/05/03 12:37:38
    Joeeey
    i think thats rediculas. its just another stupid law for the police to run around chasing people up about. although people should vote, it is also a privellage, and they should have the right to decide wether or not they would like to participate.
  • WGN 2010/05/03 12:20:05
    WGN
    It will never get past the supreme court. There is no way that voting will be mandatory. You can choose to vote or not vote, that is your right.
    Some believe that voting is a civic duty, but in the two party system, what happens if both candidates are not viable? Why be forced to vote for something you don't want.
  • AverageJoe 2010/05/03 10:10:32
    AverageJoe
    Hey. That's why I don't live there. Mandatory voting. That would be taken to the supreme court in a heartbeat. hey live mandatory voting supreme court heartbeat
  • Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate! 2010/05/03 07:53:14
    Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate!
    +2
    I believe that voting is a responsibility and that everyone who cares about our nation should educate themselves on the people and issues then vote. I really don't like mandates, but it worked pretty well in Australia when I lived there and I ended up liking the sense of responsibility that people there had about voting.

However with the current state of our campaign system being able to have unlimited corporate financing (thanks Supreme Court) and the current state of our media where they give the corporate media talking points instead of real information, I think it might be the wrong time to encourage people who don't know the difference between FOX/Rush and News/information to vote.
  • Kathy 2010/05/03 06:11:17
    Kathy
    +1
    Real bad idea
    More stupid people voting?
    Thank you Bob:)

• bartleb 2010/05/03 05:37:11
    bartleb
    +1
    Honestly, even though everyone should vote, they shouldn't be punished by law for not voting. Our founding fathers gave us that right, along with many others. If they had thought that voting should have been mandatory, they would have made it like that.

Also if you start forcing people to vote, there are going to be a lot of people who could care less about who wins the election, but are just voting because they have too. That would result in a lot of uninformed voting, not saying that that doesn't happen already, however, I think there would be a lot more of it going on.

I know that if I were living there, I would be at every city council meeting advocating that it is a right, not a requirement.
  • Sailor Dale 2010/05/03 03:54:33
    Sailor Dale
    +1
    Yes, voting is a "right" BUT it is also a RESPONSIBILITY!!! That should be taken very seriously!
    That is one reason we are in such a mess in this country- voter apathy- and people not bothering to vote! I agree that sometimes all the choices really suck.....like in '08
    we had McCainiac v. Nobama (Tweedledee v. Tweedledum) They both were evil, but to not vote is NOT an option!!!
    Our dismally low voter turnout is quite appalling!!! But, then again that is good for the sock puppets that are running for office, and the real owners of the country- the secret societies and foreign bankers that are really running the show!
    That is why our schools are so broken, and our people do not know the answer to really simple questions.....Have you ever seen that segment on Jay Leno called "Street walking"? Jay goes out on the streets, and asks some people random questions...like who is the V.P. and such, and the people are really stupid!!!!!
    It is pathetic!!! Not only that segment on Jay Leno, but other instances of asking someone a question about politics!!!!
    The people don't care, don't bother to vote, have no clue about politics, and they think WRONGLY that not voting is OK if they don't want to!!!!!
    We should not have to fine people for not voting, BUT we MUST get out and learn and vote w...

We should not have to fine people for not voting, BUT we MUST get out and learn and vote wisely!!!! And study the Constitution, so we will know when they R's & D's are violating it!!!

WE, THE PEOPLE need to wake up, and fulfill our RESPONSIBILITY, and get educated and VOTE!!!!

OR ELSE WE WILL LOOSE THE RESPONSIBILITY TO VOTE!!!!!!!
  • POPEYE 2010/05/03 01:18:59
    POPEYE
    It's just another way to dumb down the voting polls.
  • Nimara 2010/05/03 00:47:15
    Nimara
    That is stupid! Hell no! I think people shouldn't be forced to vote for morons...I think voting is a right and one has the right to vote and not to vote...stupid, stupid, stupid!
  • Sailor ... Nimara 2010/05/03 03:57:04
    Sailor Dale
    Then DON'T COMPLAIN when we no longer have that "right"!!!!

Voting is a RESPONSIBILITY!!!!
  • Nimara Sailor ... 2010/05/03 03:58:21
    Nimara
    +1
    So you are saying the American people are responsible for each moron they get in office? Because that is how I perceive your comment!
  • Sailor ... Nimara 2010/05/03 04:21:02 (edited)
    Sailor Dale
    I guess if it wasn't this moron, it would be that moron!
    It is a "lesser of two evils" choice sometimes....I do agree that it makes one feel like not voting, but that is not a good option.....

So, we are damned if we do, and damned if we don't...

Does that make sense to you?
  • Nimara Sailor ... 2010/05/03 04:24:37
    Nimara
    Yeah...I am will stay damned because I don't want to vote...simple as that dude...but I am not responsible for someone else's actions and people aren't responsible for my actions either. Voting is a right, not a responsibility...people should vote because they want to not because they have to pay some damn fine!
  • Sailor ... Nimara 2010/05/03 05:35:56
    Sailor Dale
    +1
    We should vote, but i disagree with any fine!
    Some politician will take away our "right" to vote if we continue to be so apathetic about it, then we will be stuck with a dictator, because people were too lazy to go vote....or what ever lame excuse they come up with!
    ..It will happen, sooner or later
  • Nimara Sailor ... 2010/05/03 13:53:13
    Nimara
    Congress is already the dictator...the president is just the Congress' puppet. What about the people that are registered and they don't vote? What is the point of registering and you don't vote? I say don't register if you aren't gonna vote...
  • Sailor ... Nimara 2010/05/06 20:45:32 (edited)
    Sailor Dale
    I am registered, and I vote!!!

There is 535 of "them" and 300 MILLION of We, The People!!!
    IF we ALL voted, we would win every time!!!
  • Nimara Sailor ... 2010/05/06 23:31:43
    Nimara
    Yeah, well that will never happen...
  • Sailor ... Nimara 2010/05/14 08:13:44
    Sailor Dale
    Yes, you are right, it will never happen!!!
    As long as there are pathetic pieces of garbage that think it is OK to not vote, and think it is "my choice" to vote or not!!! There is NO
    excuse for Americans that will not take the time to get off their lazy asses and vote!!! And the politicians will steal more & more from us!
    Rep. and Dem. alike, as long as they know they can steal from us & get away with it, they will!!!
  • Nimara Sailor ... 2010/05/14 12:09:32
    Nimara
    Well, I guess I am a pathetic piece of garbage...and you, you must be sparkling clean, huh? Because you like to vote for these corrupt people. WEll, so be it, I don't care.
  • Captain Tobias. The Liberal... 2010/05/03 00:38:44
    Captain Tobias. The Liberal Captain
    Wow, thats stupid. Voting is a right. We dont have to vote if we dont want to.
  • Sailor ... Captain... 2010/05/06 20:52:06
  • Captain... Sailor ... 2010/05/06 21:28:44
    Captain Tobias. The Liberal Captain
    But this is America, the land of the free. You probably feel that 10 year olds should be allowed to vote.
  • Sailor ... Captain... 2010/05/06 21:29:33
    Sailor Dale
    No, the constitution says 18.
  • Captain... Sailor ... 2010/05/06 21:32:45
    Captain Tobias. The Liberal Captain
    And The Constitution doesn't say that everyone in the country MUST vote.
  • Sailor ... Captain... 2010/05/06 21:43:38
    Sailor Dale
    And when people don't vote, the corrupt win again!
    It is our civic responsibility to be informed and vote....

A government Of the People, By the People, and For the People will NOT work if the People do not get involved and VOTE!
    When they wrote the Constitution, they did not think that the people would become too apathetic to do their civic responsibility to vote!
  • Firedye 2010/05/03 00:07:48
    Firedye
    +2
    Isn't America the land of the FREE? You should have the freedom to vote or not to. You shouldn't be forced to vote solely because people think that it is your duty.
  • jimiwhitten 2010/05/02 22:07:22
    jimiwhitten
    No, not voting is a right too! What would you do when none of the above won an election?
  • Saki♥Bill'sSweetHeart♥ 2010/05/02 21:25:40
    Saki♥Bill'sSweetHeart♥
    I think that if you don't vote, then you have no right to complain about whoever wins. But I don't think that voting should be mandatory.
  • Angelatxpatriot 2010/05/02 18:46:37
    Angelatxpatriot
    Personally, I don't believe some people should vote. I mean come on, we've all experienced those people that don't use enought of their good common sense that God gave em. Should we, as a free country, mandate a vote...no, should we as a free country, mandate that, because you have no sense at all, NOT vote...no. Some things are better left for the individuals to decide. This isn't something a state or our country should decide.

2014/04/25 07:52:02