Man Dies After Live Roach-Eating Contest: Is Eating Insects Dangerous?

AdriHead 2012/10/10 22:00:00
Edward Archbold, 32, won a cockroach-eating contest at a reptile store in South Florida last Friday. But shortly after, Archbold felt ill, collapsing in front of the store, and was later pronounced dead after being taken to the hospital.

The medical examiner's office has sent samples of Archbold's remains for testing, but results are not expected for another couple of weeks. Do you think eating live insects is what caused Archbold's untimely death? Will you think twice before fulfilling that dare from a friend and eating some insects?

ABCNEWS.GO.COM reports:
The winner of a roach-eating contest in South Florida died shortly after downing dozens of the live bugs as well as worms, authorities said Monday.
abcnews reports dies roach-eating contest

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/man-dies-live-r...

• codcommander 2013/01/12 11:11:07
  • Katherine 2012/11/26 23:22:05
    Katherine
    All of that to win a freaking python? How sad.. in many ways.

Imagine being in heaven:

Person A: How did you all die???????
    Person B: Heart failure.
    Person C: Sky diving.
    Person D: Making love to my hubby.
    (aaaaaw)
    Person E: Kidneys.
    Person F: Car accident.
    Person G: Eating cockroaches so I can win a snake.
  • Jo 2012/11/13 00:14:05 (edited)
    Jo
    Africans ate bugs for centuries Fried crickets
  • taylordoesntdeserve 2012/10/17 19:40:13
    taylordoesntdeserve
    No. It depends what insects what you eat though, just like you don't eat poisonous fish, you don't eat poisonous insects. Many many people of the world eat insects.
  • Romanknite 2012/10/17 17:13:55
    Romanknite
    Good for him. That was plain stupid. How can you feel sorry for a fool like that?
  • Stacie 2012/10/17 17:02:25
    Stacie
    Apparently, yes.
  • Proggy 2012/10/17 16:32:24
    Proggy
    Cockroaches are very filthy creatures. No telling what kinds of bacteria and germs he ingested when he ate those things.

On a side note, and I'm not making light or fun of this man's death because any untimely death is unfortunate. But you don't see Black people dying like this. Bungee jumping, Rock and mountain climbing, messing bears, lions, tigers, snakes, and all kinds of exotic wild animals, sky diving, etc... I mean you just don't see Black people senselessly testing fate with their lives over some cheap thrill or adrenaline rush. As LL Cool J said in the movie Deep Blue Sea... "We got enough ways to die".
  • burt wi... Proggy 2013/05/17 02:15:46
    burt wilson
    Uh, crack...
    Google Harlem tiger in apartment
    White people just have more resources and need for adventure, adventure that a day in any hood might offer and black people die all the time there. So lay off whitey thrills and foolish deaths, im a cracker, won't catch me on a mountain, jumping off a bridge or living with some killer creature snake whatever, just goes to show there's stupid on both sides of the fence. A dream fulfilled that man may be stupid by their character and not by the color of their skin ha
  • Proggy burt wi... 2013/05/20 07:04:03
    Proggy
    No, dude really. Now I'm not saying people tempting fate for no apparent reason other than seeking a thrill doesn't happen all around the rainbow. But it's just fact! I'm Jewish, and pretty much like Black people we've got too many other ways to die than to push the envelope for fun. For every one "Harlem Tiger" there are hundreds of "Travis the Chimpanzee" or person dies while rock or mountain climbing, bungee jumping, sky diving, roof surfing, etc... Now don't get me wrong pal, our differences including skin color is what I love about my human race. Like my wife, I had no idea she'd be a future Ivy league'er and financial guru. It was her voluptuous frame, dark skin, beautiful face, full lips... (I'm sure you get it) is what initially attracted me to her. There were many differences as well as similarities we appreciated. If it was taken as a put down, I apologize if it came off that way, but it wasn't.
  • burt wi... Proggy 2013/05/25 11:11:45
    burt wilson
    +1
    Just saying, this kind of dumb activity that puts yourself in serious danger for little gain...is the white guys version of a gang
  • sportsgirl567 2012/10/17 14:56:24
    sportsgirl567
    There is a reason why we cook meat and fish. If it was cooked, then I don't think it's so dangerous, but I still wouldn't eat one.
  • USAF Vet 2012/10/17 09:05:22 (edited)
    USAF Vet
    +1
    Edward Archbold (rest his soul) was an idiot, plain and simple...who, just WHO eats cockroaches? What irony...'Cockroach Dies of Cockroach Overdose'
  • A Lionheart 2012/10/17 04:50:29
    A Lionheart
    Depends on what actually killed him.
  • ☆WillThompson☆ 2012/10/17 04:15:45
    ☆WillThompson☆
    +1
    I will take a guess and say that it was due to the fact that he was overextending his gut. People have died from other eating contests as well, not just roaches.
  • Kit 2012/10/17 03:00:25
    Kit
    And it's also disgusting as heck!!!
  • viper4358 2012/10/17 01:50:26
    viper4358
    Poeople all over the world have eaten insects to survive for centuries.
  • zionosphere 2012/10/17 00:44:25
    zionosphere
    +1
    Now there's a contest with no winners...

nausea
  • Bocephus 2012/10/17 00:25:53
  • None 2012/10/16 23:11:18 (edited)
    None
    +1
    Many culture eat insects to survive.

Willing eating live roaches when not facing starvation is just plain dumb.

Darwin!
  • Jaiheena Star 2012/10/16 22:06:54
  • Maribel 2012/10/16 21:13:45
    Maribel
    Not even a cat knows when a mouse has been poisoned.......
  • l 2012/10/16 20:57:19
    l
    I may be wrong but I think this one is a no-brainer!
  • FAM of the OMC 2012/10/16 20:31:23
    FAM of the OMC
    +1
    I say yes.
    And as evidence to support this opinion, I offer Edward Archbold.
    Archbold eats dozens of roaches.
    Archbold drops dead moments later.

It was either that or the tremendous amount of crack he had to smoke so he could eat dozens of cockroaches.
  • Aksana 2012/10/16 19:38:53
    Aksana
    yes who doesnt know that
  • KalaPoo 2012/10/16 17:25:22
    KalaPoo
    but I've heard theyr good protein...
  • USAF Vet KalaPoo 2012/10/17 09:11:27 (edited)
    USAF Vet
    Legumes contain about one half the amino acids necessary to form protein...rice about the other half...combine the two and you get, pound-for-pound, more protein potential than a pound of hamburger; I'll go with a plate of beans and rice before I would a bowl of cockroaches.
  • Lucy Pannell 2012/10/16 15:51:53
    Lucy Pannell
    ...there's a reason there are things that are not considered food. It's called POISON. Roaches carry disease and toxins, just like some plants. Sorry for his family, but at 32yo he should have known better...
  • sokoyah 2012/10/16 14:38:42
    sokoyah
    and stupid
  • Margaret Jacobson 2012/10/16 06:18:11
    Margaret Jacobson
    Not cleaned, raw ............don't think I would want to eat any ?? Other cultures ate them and still do !! What made the roaches. Kill him?? Did he one he get pesticide poisoning of some sort ?? Maybe it was just his time to go. ??
  • the judgebigdogeagle-~PWCM~JLA 2012/10/16 00:02:57
    the judgebigdogeagle-~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    and dumb,stupid,and brainless.
  • ttfndude 2012/10/15 21:53:55
    ttfndude
    it's kinda cruel to the insect actually, to be torn apart like that maybe still alive by the time it hits your stomach acid.....that would suck
  • Mantic ttfndude 2012/10/17 01:37:54 (edited)
    Mantic
    I have no sympathy for a cockroach. I seriously believe they have no value to our ecology and the whole world should be dipped in Gentrol to make the species extinct. That should be our goal as human beings on this Earth: eliminate the cockroach.

Nukes won't do it, but we're smarter than that. Except for guys like Edward Archbold.
  • burt wi... Mantic 2013/05/17 02:23:14
    burt wilson
    I bury those cockroaches!!
    F a roach, they do this stuff on fear factor too so the suits must have cleared it but still, I'll bury those cockroaches!
  • joshBigBoss 2012/10/15 21:50:28
    joshBigBoss
    +2
    You have to remember that whatever an animal eats will remain a part of it. We are what we eat.
    Insects eat a wide variety of things ranging from defecate to decayed meat, other insects, poisonous plants, and more. They are adapted to eating those things for their survival, and they also carry parasites.
    Furthermore, we subject insect to all kinds of poisons constantly which makes them even more toxic to consume.
    Putting all that aside insects can be raised in a sterile habitat to be used for specific purposes related to consumption if a person truly feels the need to (I wouldn't). Flies are raised in sterile environments so that their larvae may be used to consume dead matter off of peoples wounds, so it's not completely unheard of.
    In this instance a cockroach is one of the vilest, foul and filthy creatures in the animal kingdom, and humans are not designed with the ability to consume them or fight off the many bacteria they carry. Furthermore, the heartiness of the cockroach allows it to live on in spite of being crushed decapitated, and ripped apart. Their flailing, gnawing limbs would not be very kind to a humans stomach.
    There are too many reasons not to eat insects, and roaches would probably be at the top of that list of least edible insects of all.
  • El Prez 2012/10/15 21:32:03
    El Prez
    AND stupid. Everyone knows you have to cook them first!!!
  • Anthony El Prez 2012/10/17 12:37:55
    Anthony
    And the part I like next is pulling off the legs and sucking the meat out. Mmmmm. Yummy!
  • El Prez Anthony 2012/10/20 00:34:23
    El Prez
    AND save the wishbone for later!!!!
  • bags the Indigenous Guru 2012/10/15 20:31:27
    bags the Indigenous Guru
    +1
    Entire cultures around the world eat insects as a staple of their diet. It's not the bugs.....

However, worldwide, being stupid can win you a Darwin award.
  • Revolution 2012 2012/10/15 19:52:43
    Revolution 2012
    +1
    Many cultures eat insects as a regular part of their diets, including large beetles, roaches, flies, ants, and really anything that is slower than you can run. All in all people will eat almost anything, even the deadly poisonous pufferfish, if they get the chance.
  • TombstoneJim 2012/10/15 19:50:57
    TombstoneJim
    +1
    and moronic unless required for protein in your diet.....so is goldfish swallowing (some of whom I'm sure died during it's hay day in the 20's on college campus)...so if it cleans up the gene pool a little perhaps it's not all bad..

2014/07/26 01:10:20